Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd go all the way and go PS2. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wasn't even that functional. So I wouldn't say it's even reliable if it's on the list. You could run into problems.

It's kinda sad to see some of our favorite games fade into obscurity because only a dwindling portion of people can play it because they have a working copy AND a functional machine to play it on.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards considering how cheap PS2s are now. Hell Dreamcasts are dirt cheap too which means I'll probably end up playing "Illbleed" and that "The Ring" game that came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards considering how cheap PS2s are now. Hell Dreamcasts are dirt cheap too which means I'll probably end up playing "Illbleed" and that "The Ring" game that came out.

I'm a huge fan of the Japanese Ring movies. The main reason I have a Dreamcast is because I wanted to play that game. I feel like I can easily recommend not playing The Ring: Terror's Realm.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

catlord posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Japanese Ring movies. The main reason I have a Dreamcast is because I wanted to play that game. I feel like I can easily recommend not playing The Ring: Terror's Realm.

Oh yeah it doesn't look good at all. I'm still gonna play it because eh. Gonna dig into Until Dawn as soon as I wrap up Resident Evil HD which I've enjoyed and hated in equal measure as a first time play through.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Instead, use the dreamcast to play Toy Commander, a game about the horrors of your old toys taking over your house and making attempts on your life and making you use your newer toys to fight back against them (toy commander is not actually a horror game in any way, shape, or form, it's just a good game that is dreamcast exclusive)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you're at all a fan of Berserk, Dreamcast had that 'Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage' game too, which was neat as it's own thing if pretty hard at times. It's also considered canon if I remember right too, even if they went with the "It's what happened between the time gap in chapters X and Y" kinda deal.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd go all the way and go PS2. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wasn't even that functional. So I wouldn't say it's even reliable if it's on the list. You could run into problems.

It's kinda sad to see some of our favorite games fade into obscurity because only a dwindling portion of people can play it because they have a working copy AND a functional machine to play it on.

All you need is a pc though for literally any game that wasn't on the original Xbox and last gen systems. Hell, cell phones function as a perfectly good console for PS1 era and earlier.

Ah, gotten before I finished the edit

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 22, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
E:quote is not edit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless you want to play N64, OG Xbox and anything not Nintendo made after that generation.

Saturn emu was meh last time I checked too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some N64 emulations are crap, but others are just as good or even better than the original. On the ones I've played, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye run at 60 FPS with few or no glitches while The World is Not Enough is virtually unplayable due to sound issues.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
N64 emulation is only really good for a handful of the biggest games IME.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
play seaman and tell me what it's like

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/22/housebound-horror-allison-road-back-from-the-grave/

lol

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

God dammit this thread just makes me mourn P.T. over and over

gently caress

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Why does the end of the article use the next Resident Evil when the devs for said game said it wouldn't be like the demo?

Other than that, this article made me say 'gently caress konami' out loud, so mission accomplished on that point.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Why does the end of the article use the next Resident Evil when the devs for said game said it wouldn't be like the demo?

Other than that, this article made me say 'gently caress konami' out loud, so mission accomplished on that point.

How much is it not like the demo? Like, is it still in first person in a spooooooky house? Or is it completely and utterly different?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one knows, so far they've only shown stuff like the demo and zero combat

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capcom has said the demo's content won't be in the final game but it is a first person game. There will be combat and medical herbs, but it's not "gun-heavy" which at least implies there will be guns in some capacity. The demo does have a hidden axe so melee combat is modeled in-game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Pathologic remake is being pushed back to Autumn 2017. It's not all bad news, though:

quote:

And now it’s time for us to bathe you in trinkets and goodies that are supposed to distract you and calm your understandable outrage.

First of all, we have a first playable… thing that will in a couple of months go to the backers of the QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS tier and higher (basically, the alpha backers). This is not an alpha though, but rather a short spin-off story that we used to showcase the mood and setting of Pathologic at Gamescom. It doesn’t feature every in-game mechanic and offers the content that won’t be present in the final game. But first we’ll need this couple of months to polish it so that it would run better and wouldn’t require developers’ hints to play properly.

We actually made this small thing for the purposes of Gamescom, but it’s so self-sufficient that it can work as a separate small game. If the feedback from the alpha backers is good, we may release is a a free Pathologic demo at some point down the line.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ouch. I hope they still got money left to run the studio another year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident Evil HD and 0 HD on this week's Humble Bundle. PS3/PS4 only but the games regularly go on sale Steam for next to nothing.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

Ouch. I hope they still got money left to run the studio another year.

My understanding was that they'd gotten enough money during their initial campaign and afterwards that they could expand the scope of both the town and the steppe. In their press release, they even say that the game is currently more of a "reimagining" of the original now than an straight remake, so I suppose a delay like this isn't surprising.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, if Ice Pick could survive after producing Cargo!, I think they'll be fine.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't really know how Ice Pick functions because their whole business plan appears to be "Release one niche-as-gently caress game every five years."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hopefully if the worst happens they at least give the backers the re-release of Pathologic. I've been holding off buying it since I backed the remake and that sounds all around better.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wait, isn't HD already free for all backers? I never claimed it because anything related to Kickstarted rewards is a gigantic pain to figure out, but I'm pretty sure I could...

edit: It's only for 55$ tier and up I guess?? drat kickstarter is confusing.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 25, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you had OG Pathologic on gog when they released the HD version, you could get it for free, or at least at a heavy discount.

Speaking of: the rerelease is good. The Void is good. Knock-knock is good. These are good horror / tension games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

1stGear posted:

I don't really know how Ice Pick functions because their whole business plan appears to be "Release one niche-as-gently caress game every five years."
They're Russians they are used to living in hardship and squalor.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I just wanna post a lovely series of documentary-ish videos from a Harvester superfan, because:
(a) Harvester is a loving ridiculous, awesome game. Play it or watch a longplay of it, please!
(b) Behind-the-scenes stuff on niche weirdo horror games is always interesting
(c) It's well-edited for a newbie
(d) I like this guy's accent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONILAX6JT8

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

If you had OG Pathologic on gog when they released the HD version, you could get it for free, or at least at a heavy discount.

Speaking of: the rerelease is good. The Void is good. Knock-knock is good. These are good horror / tension games.

Knock Knock is loving great

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Harvester is a good game

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
The Void is loving phenomenal. Sadly not everyone clicks with it well. I've had multiple attempts fail at getting friends in to it. It always ends with "Yeah, this is definately a game you'd like Kortel."

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

They're Russians they are used to living in hardship and squalor.
Also they received their Kickstarter money right before the price of USD in Russia skyrocketed, essentially doubling their prize. They actually seem pretty confident right now - grabbed a few new employees here and there, built their own recording studio...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like everything Ice-Pick has made except for Cargo!, which I just respect from a distance. I understand that after making Pathologic and The Void, they'd need to change gears a bit, but boy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VoidBurger posted:

I just wanna post a lovely series of documentary-ish videos from a Harvester superfan, because:
(a) Harvester is a loving ridiculous, awesome game. Play it or watch a longplay of it, please!

I'm scared by anyone who is a superfan of Harvester. Its such a morally repulsive video game. Yes, I know it was intentionally being ultra edgy, but I get the feeling that whoever made that game is seriously hosed up in the head. Hell, the lead actor was later arrested for being a pedo. Granted, the game is still somewhat fascinating just because of how morally repulsive it is. Also, the dying of natural causes joke is actually pretty funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's very obviously a satire of what moral guardians were saying about video games.

at the time people were saying they were murder simulators and such so it turns out the twist is the game is a system for creating a serial killer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's cool actually and I wish I'd heard of it when it first came out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Satire has to walk a fine line and in the end Harvester really doesn't have anything to say about its message. It almost gets there but it's too blunt and eager to gross out. It's kind of an early look at the "Would you kindly" twist where you're trying to reach this nebulous goal while performing seemingly innocuous tasks moving from simple vandalism to straight up arson. At its core it's a fun commentary on adventure game logic where the main character is often a destructive trickster (like Monkey Island 2 where you imprison a woman to solve a puzzle) but meanwhile the secondary characters are murdering, raping, and loving each other from the start which immediately destroys the illusion.

I'd love to see a remake of Harvester that basically tells the same story but doesn't peel away its layers from the very beginning.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

good to hear Allison Road is back on but on the other hand, I won't be holding my breath for a release in the near future whatsoever if it's now back to just 2 people making that game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Harvester is up there with Darkseed in terms of entertainment. It's a bizarre game in appearance and plot that usually ends up unintentionally hilarious when it's not being disturbing (more funny than disturbing, usually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

VoidBurger posted:

This stuff is pretty great, the guy's got a good humor to it all and has really obviously done his work in putting together interesting videos, all for a game as weird as Harvester which just makes it all the more neat.