Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always wanted a way to communicate with businesses that matter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
well of course you do, we ALL do, but how? HOW?!? :argh:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I started using telegram recently. Any of you know of any good reason not to use it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

[insert terrible joke about morse code and/or wiring]

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

WhatsApp prepares for monetization.

"for you to communicate with businesses"

:lol:, loving Facebook finally realizing that they literally bought a platform that they already had. I'd say this changes something but I realise that the only other client I use is facebook messenger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cowofwar posted:

Time to sell everything and invest in block chains, it's the future! How it will be employed is not clear but future!
Fall Of Unicorns: Special Edition: Black Chains led to monetized Block Chains

I'm going to repeat myself about the CEO of some Xprize affiliate or something coming to a school admin meeting and waxing poetic about the block chain and how secure it was and how it would change global finance forever.

Two days later that big BlockChain heist happened where an estimated $70 million US Real Dollars were taken from people's Internet Fake Bitwallets.

He also said don't teach your kids to code, coding will be done by AI in THE FUTURE. Also Ray Kurtzweil totally isn't a weirdo goober and the singularity WILL happen and allow him to be just like that robot guy from the new Doom.

All in All, it must be nice to live in Super Rich White Guy Bubble but I wouldn't want to huff my farts like that to live the TechLyfe.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 25, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I mean, here's how advertising would work, in my ideal world, because apps are free but cost money to make and run:
let me select companies (maybe via facebook's "like this page") and only those companies can message me
So like, I will let Fantasy Flight Games and Blizzard send me messages, because I would like to know about their new stuff that I might want and not know it's out yet

But if loving Uber and Sony want to spam me with their bullshit, a pox on their houses

And I'm sure Uber doesn't want to waste their money advertising to me, a person who will never use their product. And FFG would deffo. *want* to advertise to me
so, win/win

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I mean, here's how advertising would work, in my ideal world, because apps are free but cost money to make and run:
let me select companies (maybe via facebook's "like this page") and only those companies can message me
So like, I will let Fantasy Flight Games and Blizzard send me messages, because I would like to know about their new stuff that I might want and not know it's out yet

But if loving Uber and Sony want to spam me with their bullshit, a pox on their houses

And I'm sure Uber doesn't want to waste their money advertising to me, a person who will never use their product. And FFG would deffo. *want* to advertise to me
so, win/win

Well, Blizzard probably also doesn't want to waste money advertising to you, a person who will buy their game anyway. Or at least they wouldn't want to waste enough money that make that viable as a platform's only monetization strategy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Baby Babbeh posted:

Well, Blizzard probably also doesn't want to waste money advertising to you, a person who will buy their game anyway. Or at least they wouldn't want to waste enough money that make that viable as a platform's only monetization strategy.

They don't need to try to hype up people who agree to see their messages, but a monthly-ish reminder of what's coming up to keep it in people's brains so they remember to buy it on release would probably make a decent return on investment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That and advertisements for microtransactions.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Keeshhound posted:

They don't need to try to hype up people who agree to see their messages, but a monthly-ish reminder of what's coming up to keep it in people's brains so they remember to buy it on release would probably make a decent return on investment.

You mean like a newsletter? Hmm, if only there was a way to send such a thing to someone for free, perhaps through a kind of electronic version of the mail...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Baby Babbeh posted:

You mean like a newsletter? Hmm, if only there was a way to send such a thing to someone for free, perhaps through a kind of electronic version of the mail...

The volume of email killed email. Ain't nobody read that anymore.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Baby Babbeh posted:

Is that not literally what this is anyway? It's a "service" that lets businesses more easily contact people who use Facebook or whatsapp. Did you think they were going to do that any way except electronically?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

The volume of email killed email. Ain't nobody read that anymore.

Bill Gates was probably right when he suggested that there should be a small charge for email.

The volume of email is just overwhelming.

Between work and personal accounts I probably get 500-1000 a day. Not including another couple of thousand from automated systems.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

withak posted:

I've always wanted a way to communicate with businesses that matter to me.

i just love engaging with brands

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This is the most wonderful thing. Elon Musk has been playing the long game with Amber Heard

quote:

“If there is a party or event with Amber, I’d be interested in meeting her just out of curiosity...Allegedly, she is a fan of George Orwell and Ayn Rand … most unusual.”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

I started using telegram recently. Any of you know of any good reason not to use it?

Is that (secretly) ran by vkontakte? Their graphics are remarkably similar....

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The VK guy started it, it's a new thing.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

namaste faggots posted:

In my experience the hardest part is getting people to adopt it. "Whatsapp is encrypted, so why should I use that? "

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xae posted:

Bill Gates was probably right when he suggested that there should be a small charge for email.

Between work and personal accounts I probably get 500-1000 a day. Not including another couple of thousand from automated systems.

Yeah the spamming wouldn't stop. Companies would start sending you info about subsidiaries or stuff you don't care about or letting their buddies spam you too. Only a matter of time before a company with a ton of subscribers charges to tack extra unrelated bullshit on.

Look what happened to Facebook pages and games. Apparently you can sell popular pages to people who will then vomit clickbait garbage nonstop.

The Internet is killing the internet. For every cool idea there are a thousand ideas to ruin it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Non Serviam posted:

In my experience the hardest part is getting people to adopt it. "Whatsapp is encrypted, so why should I use that? "

Agreed. It just so happens I have a bunch of friends using it who hate WhatsApp.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Email is basically a thing I never check unless I need to reset a password on a website at this point.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

lancemantis posted:

Is that (secretly) ran by vkontakte? Their graphics are remarkably similar....

Well I guess if you care about security it's the difference between a company that'll hand over backdoor access to your messages to the SVR versus one that'll do the same but for the NSA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Dan Ryckert?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

And people said Gawker provided no worth.

Here is the best/worst thing that Caity Weaver ever wrote for Gawker, the story of one woman's descent into appetizer madness

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Slanderer posted:

Here is the best/worst thing that Caity Weaver ever wrote for Gawker, the story of one woman's descent into appetizer madness

quote:

In preparation for the depravity to come, I fast the night before, eating a only light meal of a bacon cheeseburger, four chicken McNuggets, and a small fries at midnight.

:allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slanderer posted:

This was an amazing journey of a read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xae posted:

I have no-poo poo 45+ GB of work email from just the last 18 months.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's tongue-in-cheek

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Don't tell me you don't spend every night polishing your own personal brand.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well I guess if you care about security it's the difference between a company that'll hand over backdoor access to your messages to the SVR versus one that'll do the same but for the NSA.

WhatsApp is demonstrably end-to-end encrypted using a well known open source protocol making handing over messages impossible. This is not true of Telegraph where the messages are decryptable on the server. Metadata is still a concern with WhatsApp if you don't trust Facebook of course.

Really the correct answer security wise for a mobile messenger is to use Signal: https://whispersystems.org/ Uses the same e2e encryption as WhatsApp (its the original source of the protocol), completely open source and unaffiliated with any business entity so you don't have to worry about whatever extra metadata collection is going on around it. Of course you'll have an even more difficult time talking someone into using it than WhatsApp or Telegram.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 26, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, but I have been brandishing my own personal pole every night.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

my brand

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBwQl9eggs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
my brand

Also, courtesy of Sundae in the TPS thread, meet Josephine, an excellent way to die from botulism poisoning.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Probably not botulism, unless they're canning. Botulism requires anaerobic conditions, such as you get when you put something in a sealed jar and don't adequately heat-treat it. Salmonella, listeria, and whatnot, you betcha. Plus possible liver failure if your nice sweet neighbor went mushroom-gathering in the hills. We had a set of deaths from that last year, when some Russian IIRC immigrants made mushroom soup for the private nursing home they ran. Apparently they don't have Amanita phalloides in Russia, so nobody needs to know the difference.

But yeah. Food inspection is one of those pieces of governmental interference I do not wish to see disrupted.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Also, courtesy of Sundae in the TPS thread, meet Josephine, an excellent way to die from botulism poisoning.

I actually got Josephine from this thread originally. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sundae posted:

I actually got Josephine from this thread originally. :v:

Whoops!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Probably not botulism, unless they're canning. Botulism requires anaerobic conditions, such as you get when you put something in a sealed jar and don't adequately heat-treat it. Salmonella, listeria, and whatnot, you betcha. Plus possible liver failure if your nice sweet neighbor went mushroom-gathering in the hills. We had a set of deaths from that last year, when some Russian IIRC immigrants made mushroom soup for the private nursing home they ran. Apparently they don't have Amanita phalloides in Russia, so nobody needs to know the difference.

But yeah. Food inspection is one of those pieces of governmental interference I do not wish to see disrupted.

Without getting into the details, I think similar scenarios are exactly what will occur- people are acting as home-grown caterers, and the company partially exists to circumvent state regs on home canning/preserving businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, and those regulations were very carefully written so you would find it much harder to kill somebody.

Thing is, when I can, the most that's going to happen is that I'm going to take out my family, or maybe a church social. (I do not go to church socials.) When I start selling canned goods, I can kill a lot of people whom it's nearly impossible to notify. "Buy some chow-chow at the Palo Alto Farmer's Market on June 28th? We have bad news for you."

I'll stick to killing my own family, thanks. Jam is perfectly safe. Really.