Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rougey posted:

Muzzy-Utils – Quality of life mod that makes some changes to the UI, install it before your first play through IMO.

Not entirely sure why I'd need a fresh filter as my people drag spoiled stuff to the dump quickly enough, but the mood indicator would be nice (and conveniently is a default UI element in A15)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Industrial mod is fun, giving nuke generators, concrete, high quality steel aluminum and copper to the game. I'm really enjoying it.

Oh yeah, and deep mines which are a godsend on barren maps. The startup cost for them is steep but once installed you can harvest any mineral you want at that point.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Panfilo posted:

Industrial mod is fun, giving nuke generators, concrete, high quality steel aluminum and copper to the game. I'm really enjoying it.

Oh yeah, and deep mines which are a godsend on barren maps. The startup cost for them is steep but once installed you can harvest any mineral you want at that point.

If you get industrialization you should go to the forums and get the add-on to allow building paths out of concrete.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rougey posted:

On the topic of mods, I'd highly recommend the following (ranked in order of my appreciation):

RT Fuses – adds fuses to the game to deal with power surges. Don’t install this mod for your first playthrough so you can experience the joy of power surges, so you can truly appreciate why it’s at the top of the list.

Muzzy-Utils – Quality of life mod that makes some changes to the UI, install it before your first play through IMO.

Laser Drills – Adds the ability to bore holes to tap into geothermal energy anywhere, quite expensive to set up but gives more flexibility than the randomly spawned natural geothermal vents, which may be in less than ideal locations. Really important for some mods that add power hungry appliances.

EdB Prepare Carefully – Allows you to completely customise your start, if you want to spawn a bunch of nudist non-violent hippies or a tribe of cannibals go for it, but be warned that the game will recognise it if you create a dozen max skilled, power armour gods and scale difficulty accordingly - nothing like facing a 50 man raid on your second day when you don't have any defenses or medical facilities set up.

PetFollow – Stops fluffy from standing in front of his masters shotgun during raids.

Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering – this is one of those “I didn’t know I wanted it till I had it” ones, it allows you to create prosthetics and organs rather than having to trade for them and adds a bunch of really good new ones. You should then take the time to create a custom scenario for yourself with one colonist, more machine than man, who never asked for this.

Hospitality – Adds guest beds and the ability to host visitors who will leave gifts if they enjoy their stay and improve relations with their faction... also if they get killed by a cougar en route to leaving the map you'll suffer a reputation loss, but it's manageable... unless a trade convoy leaving the map has a raiding party spawn right on their exit killing everyone.

ED-SubspaceTransponder – Allows you to call trade ships rather than having to rely on randomised traders appearing, which can be especially frustrating if the RNG Gods Randy serves don’t think you deserve a chance to sell all those “donated” organs you have stored in the cooler next to the strawberries. The type of trade ship is still randomised, so you might get somebody who trades in bulk raw resources when what you really want is somebody willing to buy all those nasty raiders you captured who are missing their kidneys.

Efficient light – Reduces the power requirements of lights, leads to less flickering during brown outs.

Mending – Allows you to repair clothing and weapons rather than waiting for them to fall apart, really important as colonist suffer a mood penalty if they are wearing rags.

FashionRIMsta – adds a whole bunch of new clothing options with bonuses to certain activates (surgical scrubs that improve chance to successful remove hearts without killing the patient, chefs hats that decrease the chance of food poisoning) – worth it for the Desert Robes/Fur Coats alone which will allow your colonists to make it through the first heat wave or cold snap.

Double Population – Exactly what it says on the tin.

More Vanilla Turrets – Gives a bunch of extra defensive turrets that feel well balanced and OH CHRIST THE SNIPER TURRET JUST SHOT A COLONIST IN THE BACK AND SHATTERED HIS SPINE OH GOD!

Craftable Medicine - allows you to make standard medical kids rather than having to purchase them from traders. Basic herbal medicine is actually fine for treating most problems, but you need basic medkits for creating some items like advanced hospital beds, definitely get it if you have the Expanded Prosthetics mod.

Combat Realism – I’m really on the fence about this one, but it has won me over. It conflicted with another expanded weapons mod I liked and while there is a compatibility mod between with all the content and options it all became extremely micromanagement finicky, but eventually it won me over - mostly because I uninstalled the extra weapons mod... too many drat options. It changes the way combat works for the better, and adds in ammunition consumables for all weapons (beanbags FTW) and fire modes – leave this for a later playthrough.

The last mod I’d recommend is ez infestation, though I have mixed feelings about it – it trivialises one of the more potentially fatal events and is intended to stop people from trying to play Dwarf Fortress too much, but I really like mountain maps so it’s my one guilty pleasure.

please make a mod pack

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The most important mod is doormats so Pawns wipe their feet when they enter buildings.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Most of those mods make the game easier without anything balancing it back the other way. That's fine if that's what you want to play, but I think having ways to trivially capture people and call in traders on demand and completely avoid zzt events will make the mid game dull. Just be warned.

I think most people would find the game more fun as a crises management game and as a "sims-like" game it's probably lacking. To each their own though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fuses doesn't completely avoid ZZT events. It costs components to upkeep fuses, it just prevents it from exploding your base. And circuit breakers, which just need to be flipped back on afterward, are a late-game research project.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Squeegy posted:

Fuses doesn't completely avoid ZZT events. It costs components to upkeep fuses, it just prevents it from exploding your base. And circuit breakers, which just need to be flipped back on afterward, are a late-game research project.

OK, but in vanilla the way you minimize that impact is by not putting everything on one grid. Fuses make it more feasible to have a central power producing field which takes the challenge of managing multiple grids away.

Again that's fine, but it inarguably makes the game easier and I'd suggest taking it easy before tossing in a bunch of mods that make things that are supposed to be a lot of work easy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lockback posted:

OK, but in vanilla the way you minimize that impact is by not putting everything on one grid. Fuses make it more feasible to have a central power producing field which takes the challenge of managing multiple grids away.

Again that's fine, but it inarguably makes the game easier and I'd suggest taking it easy before tossing in a bunch of mods that make things that are supposed to be a lot of work easy.

Managing multiple grids is stupid and boring, if I wanted that kind of gameplay I'd go play Prison Architect where it's completely mandatory past a certain size.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
random explosions are part of the game and you are bound by law to suffer any dumb loving thing that pops into noted islamophobe tyrial's dumb head who wrote a book on game design, u see?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

playing on Rough Randy and nothing has happened in almost two months except for crashing escape pods, who I let die because I can't recruit them without mods and I'm bad enough at managing food and healing items as it is lol

I'm talking like, 4 escape pods back to back, a single melee raider attack, and then another escape pod

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can Capture and recruit them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I didn't see an option for it while they were laying in the medical bed but I didn't look hard enough I guess? or do I have to arrest them

rest in peace those 8 dudes I guess lol

just kidding only colonists get graves bitch

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Babe Magnet posted:

I didn't see an option for it while they were laying in the medical bed but I didn't look hard enough I guess? or do I have to arrest them

rest in peace those 8 dudes I guess lol

just kidding only colonists get graves bitch

When they are on the ground after crashing, select Capture instead of Rescue. Rescue just patches them up and they leave. Capture treats them as a prisoner you can recruit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh sick, alright, thanks

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They really need to change that in a future update. There's no reason whatsoever why a rando that crashed from space wouldn't join up with you after you rescue them rather than leaving to die of malaria offscreen or some poo poo. It's really dumb.

Rescued people from other factions should default to going back to those factions, but they should also have a small chance to decide to stick with you instead, or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Shortest Path posted:

They really need to change that in a future update. There's no reason whatsoever why a rando that crashed from space wouldn't join up with you after you rescue them rather than leaving to die of malaria offscreen or some poo poo. It's really dumb.

Rescued people from other factions should default to going back to those factions, but they should also have a small chance to decide to stick with you instead, or something.

I see what you mean, but I think it would make it too easy. There's a nice challenge to struggling toward recruiting a good survivor but avoiding getting stuck with the train wrecks (I'm looking at you man hating gay pyromaniac popstar)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The hospitality mod adds all of this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I see what you mean, but I think it would make it too easy. There's a nice challenge to struggling toward recruiting a good survivor but avoiding getting stuck with the train wrecks (I'm looking at you man hating gay pyromaniac popstar)

Then make those events less common, or balance out the increased ease with something more difficult? It's just a really weird break in how you'd expect things to work.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

escape pod landing is like a beacon for raiders/tribals to drop by and see what's up or if it was a cargo drop

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I like the sound of those mods but yes, it sounds like it would make the game rather easy without some balance. Could always just hit random for your location and take the difficulty up a notch, I guess.

High recruitment difficulty:
*Crashes on a barren planet, badly wounded with no means of escape but by some miracle a friendly human picks them up, heals them with real medicine, puts them up in a comfortable, spacious room among beautiful sculptures and feeds you fine meals, where you're told they're currently building a ship capable of leaving this shithole*

"So, wanna join?"

"Nah, I'll take my chances"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yo its a game bro. Bishops move straight in real life all the time too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm not really sure how having rescued escape pod guys having a low chance of joining you is overpowered when their recruit chance is like 25% anyway. My last game went for like 3 years and I rescued a grand total of six people, only one of which offered to join me.

I don't know why I'd risk those odds on a pawn I actually wanted

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Walton Simons posted:

High recruitment difficulty:
*Crashes on a barren planet, badly wounded with no means of escape but by some miracle a friendly human picks them up, heals them with a lovely tribal doctor, puts them up in a hot cramped room with no lights and feeds you uncooked squirrel bits, where told they're currently building a place to for people to sleep not on the ground*

"So, wanna join?"

"Nah, I'll take my chances"

Fixed it. More realistic now.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So I saw this in my Steam queue and decided to try it out since Gnomoria is kind of dead. Tried out the crash landing scenario and things started out well enough, at least until the dog died to a random animal and one of my dudes went nuts. Then the heat wave came and people started getting sick. I, uh, may not have realized how temperature controls worked at the time so I ended up just stripping the ill naked. Needless to say this did not work and one by one my people died, naked and gibbering from despair- and heat-induced madness.

Pretty good first run for a game of this type, I think I'll keep playing. :haw:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yep, you missed accidentally telling one of your guys to eat a corpse but otherwise dying naked, insane, dehydrated and alone is a probably the true ending of the game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Capture is to recruit them
Rescue is to build favour with other factions

You guys don't even try sometimes do you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really my only gripe with recent changes is that bulk traders come by so infrequently now as to make the comms console basically pointless. before alpha whenever you'd get a couple trade ships a season, now it's like once a year, maybe

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Train wrecks are my go-to bullet sponges in raids, if they're really bad I turn off medical treatment to accelerate the process. It's like the RNG loves guys you're trying to kill sometimes, you'll end up with a peg legged, one eyed, deaf, gimp of a pawn that just keeps running toward the sound of gunfire

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This fucker is the protagonist of my colony. I named him Shaman because of his affinity for animals and medicine, and his bloodlust trait. One time a bear wandered into camp and instead of running, Shaman tamed it first try on a 3% attempt. He has since named the bear Shinichi and it follows him everywhere.

Shaman was hunting turkeys once and a stray bullet hit a lynx, which tore off his left hand for it. He now wears a bionic hand made with hide from that lynx. More recently, Shaman was out in the field and got attacked by an enraged boomrat. When a fellow colonist came to his aid as he fled, she accidentally shot off his foot with a shotgun. He is having quite a life here.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The most I've every had to deal was was one Scyther so I felt OK with my defences.

Five Scythers and a Centipede. Two dead already.

What the gently caress?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Scythers are ridiculously threatening compared to Centipedes. Centipedes are a joke, but a Scyther can one-shot your colonist.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Just had a third colonist one-shot and a scyther took a dead-on mortar hit without going down :shepface:

The berserk cycle has already started and my scientist has downed three of my other colonists.

I think I'm at the end of the road, this is a ridiculous threat.

e: In hindsight, I should have built more mortars knowing how poo poo we are from range since we don't have our sniper rifles and charge rifles crafted yet.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Walton Simons posted:

The most I've every had to deal was was one Scyther so I felt OK with my defences.

Five Scythers and a Centipede. Two dead already.

What the gently caress?

Keep every EMP grenade drop you get, give them to pawns that cant shoot for poo poo. They stun the mechanoids for a good bit and you can keep tossing emp grenades while you wreck them.

If you dont have EMP grenades it sucks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The trick with scythers is get behind walls, wait for them to get close, then ambush them en masse. Playing sniper wars with them rarely works.

e: Unless it's like a psychic ship, then totally play sniper wars with them. Range on a sniper rifle is longer than their aggro range, so just edge closer one square at a time until your guy can shoot, then just plink at them for days

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 26, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

That's a great point. I'll see if I can throw up an EMP mortar while they're chilling. It's a psychic ship so I can't bait them.

e: Berserk really, really needs to be toned down in my opinion. If I lose a fight like I just did, annoying but it's the game, but if I lose because things got a bit tight and my more unstable colonists not only go uncontrollable for half a day but completely poo poo up everyone doing anything nearby, it feels cheap.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 26, 2016

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Panfilo posted:

Is there any reason you wouldn't just leave them to die and rot away? :confused:

Edit: The bad ones, I mean, since you can see the social stats just by clicking on them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Is there any reason you wouldn't just leave them to die and rot away? :confused:

Edit: The bad ones, I mean, since you can see the social stats just by clicking on them.

I generally rescue them and let them leave, it doesn't cost me anything but a minute of my doctor pawn's time and who cares about that. Especially if they're related to anyone, don't need their deaths in my needs window

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yeah, I'm done. 180 days (not bad for a first go) and done in by a psychic ship and a berserk colonist loving everything up by downing three guys and killing one.

A lot of what's caused this will be fixed in A15 so that's good. Basically, I ran out of what I needed (components, plasteel) on the map so I had to farm raw materials and make things (art, clothes) in the hope a trader came by. They didn't and I got rich on (over 4000 raw food ffs) without being able to invest in protecting the place enough. From what I've heard of A15's deep drilling, this shouldn't be a such a problem.

Being able to call traders from other tribes or some way of abstracting a trip to see them if relations are good would be a good addition in future. Their position on the map could determine risk and what might happen to people you send as well as their traits, animals, vehicles you build and so on.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really should play A15 more and get to that point in the tech (or I suppose make a scenario where I just start with it and materials to see how it works)