Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Elite was easy to get into,it sounds so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Abu Dave posted:

I wish Elite was easy to get into,it sounds so cool

Keyword sounds. Unless you're a big sperglord who likes doing the same boring crap over and over again, it's not great.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Actually elite is great.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Elite is so great that people hacked in a way to watch tv inside the video game because otherwise it's too boring

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you're a big sperglord who likes doing the same boring crap over and over again, it's not great.

Yeah, I mean why do basketball players keep putting the ball in the basket? They already did that a hundred times!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Elite does some things really well and other things really poorly, and you'll have a good time if you're happy with the things it does well and a bad time if you take it at face value and try to do the things it does poorly.

Luckily for VR fans, the things it does well are pretty much all magnified by doing them in VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sliderule posted:

Yeah, I mean why do basketball players keep putting the ball in the basket? They already did that a hundred times!

Basketball is more than just throwing a ball into a basket. You have to work with your team to get the ball down the court. You have to keep the other team from getting the ball. You have to get the ball somewhere you can score from and then you have to get it into the basket. In Elite Dangerous you fly to a space station, get some stuff and then fly somewhere else and sell it. Or maybe you fly in circles and pew pew at some other ship endlessly. Or maybe you just fly endlessly into space to empty star systems that look the same. It's the same every time you do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you bought elite for space trucking, that's fine too, Cojawfee. Personally, I prefer blowing poo poo up.

Also lol "always the same" in exactly the same way as basketball is always the same, but that's somehow different.

e: Don't get me wrong, elite has its flaws, but those aren't it. Not anymore.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Bhodi posted:

Elite is so great that people hacked in a way to watch tv inside the video game because otherwise it's too boring

Personally I don't understand the people that do this. If I'm playing a game and I'm bored enough to want to watch TV at the same time I'll just stop playing the game and go watch TV. I play Elite and the only thing I miss in VR is being able to look at 3rd party websites on my second monitor when I need to know something.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

TomR posted:

Personally I don't understand the people that do this. If I'm playing a game and I'm bored enough to want to watch TV at the same time I'll just stop playing the game and go watch TV. I play Elite and the only thing I miss in VR is being able to look at 3rd party websites on my second monitor when I need to know something.

That V plugin does that too. I just had the Plex Site up playing a video through it in VR. It is all web based bookmarks currently, but it works great now.

For those in the Alpha, I got it to work with Elite both through Oculus and Steam. Start Elite (not SteamVR though sorry Vive guys, unless you ReVive) like normal, get ingame in VR, close the launcher, start V, put EliteDangerous64 in the Process box and hit Inject. Boom! Worked multiple times last night for me.

It worked once with V running before I started Elite from Oculus, but then V gets crazy and tries to inject into all the processes that start with Elite and craps itself. (there are like 4 before EliteDangerous64 actually starts) The manual way works best currently, and I am working with the devs to dial it in to make it all automagic properly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Space trucking sounds fun if you don't have to hold a button. Is it easy to space truck and can you avoid combat

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Space trucking sounds fun if you don't have to hold a button. Is it easy to space truck and can you avoid combat

It's pretty easy. You can't entirely avoid combat since sometimes you'll get interrupted during jumps and have to escape or fight, but it's relatively infrequent.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The White House posted that there's a tour of Yosemite VR video for the anniversary, available to Oculus users. Anyone know how, when I get home, I'd go about viewing this thing in the Vive?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Some time ago, I think it was in the previous thread, someone mentioned these floor-to-ceiling extendable bars they'd found that were good for mounting the Vive lighthouses without damaging your walls. I think they were normally used for photography? Anyone remember what those were called?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I think they were normally used for photography? Anyone remember what those were called?

Hanging drywall on the ceiling I thought.

Drywall poles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There was a heated internal debate as to whether people would use headphones with Gear, which I guess is presidentially settled. He's not using Bluetooth, thank god.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Some time ago, I think it was in the previous thread, someone mentioned these floor-to-ceiling extendable bars they'd found that were good for mounting the Vive lighthouses without damaging your walls. I think they were normally used for photography? Anyone remember what those were called?

Contractor poles, cargo bars, etc. The cheapest/shittiest (but pretty ok imo) are http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

Searching for contractor poles generally shows a good bunch of results to look through.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

every lovely arcade should have Whack a Mole

Please tell me they're planning on implementing Touch support for that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cockmaster posted:

Why bother with Touch when Vive already exists and is implemented?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cockmaster posted:

I think it's already Vive motion control supported so I'm sure the Touch will be.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Because it's better. . . .

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

lol

I think the experience is really cool in VR, but I can't imagine playing it on a regular monitor. I just saw a demo where they showed off a new feature adding bulk passenger transport. It is literally the same process as any other cargo or data transport - get thing, launch, make jump(s) to system, land, get $$$. They literally changed the text.

You can really feel the difference between ships in VR, making buying a new ship a more compelling carrot.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Because touchpads as joysticks suck. :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I heartily recommend Pierhead Arcade for any Vive user that wants Beach-Arcade style minigames like Wack-a-Mole, Crane Games, skeeball etc. It's really come a long way and is only ten bucks.
You even win tickets that you can then use to buy a working quad-copter or tank or car.

It's also multiplayer.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 26, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Poetic Justice posted:

Because it's better. . . .

Have you used Touch yet? I'm curious as to how good they are and how they differ from the Vive wands.

Kazy posted:

I never know why people think this. I find the touchpads on the Vive are actually pretty drat great. As long as the devs implement them properly they're ridiculously versatile.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Aphex- posted:

Have you used Touch yet? I'm curious as to how good they are and how they differ from the Vive wands.
The most obvious difference of course is that Touch uses analog sticks (with a capacitive surface) while the wands have the touchpad. Both can do essentially the same things, but one may feel better than the other for a given task. Less obvious from just looking at them is that the grip button on Touch is in a far more intuitive position, and all the buttons as well as the top of the sticks have capacitive surfaces. This opens up a lot of options for social interactions because you can derive basic hand positions based off of what buttons you're touching which lets you do things like point your finger at something and have that reflected in VR. Since these touch states are visible to developers, there's also potential for their use beyond simple social interaction.

My prediction is that the Vive wands and Touch will be largely comparable in many aspects but will each excel in slightly different ways. I don't necessarily think that either will be flat-out better than the other, but I do think Touch will end up being a bit more flexible overall thanks to the hand-pose stuff.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I would think that the essential peripheral for playing arcade games would be a fighting stick or similar.

e: Like nobody is comparing the Vive wands and Touch for ED because it's not the correct interface.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I could see Touch working out, honestly. Sticks for translation and rotation, one set of triggers for throttle the other for weapons, buttons for everything else.

It has basically the same # of inputs as an xbox controller not counting the capacitive stuff which would be harder to learn but possibly a neat way to map some controls.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The current Touch controls for Windlands (SteamVR version) are kind of weird since grip is still jump, but I suspect that's because SteamVR uses up a couple of the face buttons (B and Y I think). But they are way better than using the Vive wands.

Kind of wish I had more touch-specific stuff to play with though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kazy posted:

They're great. Steam Controller's great, and so are the Vive pads. Why? Because nobody uses them just as joysticks. They can serve numerous functions, which is much better than feeling around for buttons like with the Hydra.

Grip button sucks on Vive though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

They're great. Steam Controller's great, and so are the Vive pads. Why? Because nobody uses them just as joysticks. They can serve numerous functions, which is much better than feeling around for buttons like with the Hydra.

Grip button sucks on Vive though.

Yeah this is it. The haptic feedback when you move your thumb over the touchpad with the steam controller and vive wands really helps too, it feels incredibly precise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oculus is working on a chaperone.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
No shock there. I've been predicting something similar since we first got word on the Vive, since it would be basically required for liability reasons if they're going to do anything room scale.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chaperones don't reduce liability.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Subjunctive posted:

Chaperones don't reduce liability.

I'm pretty sure it reduces accidents. The rest is just semantics.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bremen posted:

No shock there. I've been predicting something similar since we first got word on the Vive, since it would be basically required for liability reasons if they're going to do anything room scale.

This but instead of liability, practicality. People don't want to just stand and just sit, they want to get up and move around no matter how much Oculus claims now isn't the time. It is weird to see Oculus being the follower in this instance though when before they were content to pretend they were the only VR solution in town, but also good. Better experiences for everyone and a lot more cross-platform content. Wins for consumers and developers.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

KakerMix posted:

People don't want to just stand and just sit, they want to get up and move around no matter how much Oculus claims now isn't the time.
I'm pretty sure they've understood this for quite a while, they just prioritized other stuff until Touch was closer to being out and it actually mattered.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure it reduces accidents. The rest is just semantics.

It's only a meaningless distinction if you think chaperone reduces the kind of accidents for which Oculus would somehow be liable. Can you give an example of such an accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Making a product that removes a persons vision and asks them to move around blindly could be very dangerous if not done correctly. People hurting themselves using a product often spurs a lawsuit and let's not kid ourselves here, there have been plenty of successful lawsuits over products that are less dangerous than an Oculus Rift could potentially be, frivolous or not.