Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yikes, good luck getting any of that $12,000 from him. Eat that loss as a penalty for being retarded and putting $100k in the wrong place.

If you can claim innocence via "processing error" I can't imagine he'll have a hard time shirking responsibility either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just google "Theft"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yikes, good luck getting any of that $12,000 from him. Eat that loss as a penalty for being retarded and putting $100k in the wrong place.

If you can claim innocence via "processing error" I can't imagine he'll have a hard time shirking responsibility either.

AHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHHA!

(Deep breath in)

AHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Wickerman posted:

He owes them X number of shares of stock. The stock price changed. He might even have brokerage fees associated with the sale.

To be clear, it's because the stock price went up. If it had gone down, he would have gotten to keep the difference, less fees. Instead, since he owes them X shares and not some dollar amount, he has to repurchase shares at a now higher price to return to them.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

To be clear, it's because the stock price went up. If it had gone down, he would have gotten to keep the difference, less fees. Instead, since he owes them X shares and not some dollar amount, he has to repurchase shares at a now higher price to return to them.

:drat:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Actually if there had been money made on the trade it would have belonged to us. :smug: Bankers

And yeah, this is no different than any of those other stories of mystery deposits and the fools spending money that doesn't belong to them. This just happens to have a stock trading twist.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's basically the end of Trading Places, and that guy is the Dukes.

:v: "Margin call, gentlemen!"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Just google "Theft"

It's kind of like theft, if you went to someone's house and pushed $100,000 through the mail slot, then realized you had made a mistake. So yeah, exactly like theft

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zero One posted:

Actually if there had been money made on the trade it would have belonged to us. :smug: Bankers

And yeah, this is no different than any of those other stories of mystery deposits and the fools spending money that doesn't belong to them. This just happens to have a stock trading twist.
How you gonna prove he wasn't gonna short that much anyway? Look, not his fault he suddenly had a position he didn't know about.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'd like more stories of people thinking they've hit the jackpot with bank errors, only to screw themselves badly, please.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

How you gonna prove he wasn't gonna short that much anyway? Look, not his fault he suddenly had a position he didn't know about.

His horse gave him a stock tip. He was going to use the proceeds to buy a truck. Maybe the loss should just be rolled into a 7 year loan at 0%?

e: Bank errors in New Zealand and Australia

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10812642
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11634317

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 26, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero One posted:

heads i win, tails you lose, basically

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's kind of like theft, if you went to someone's house and pushed $100,000 through the mail slot, then realized you had made a mistake. So yeah, exactly like theft

Yes indeed. Like if you find $1,000 cash on the ground you turn it in to the police, because it belongs to someone else. If you spend it instead, you're a thief, because you're knowingly taking and using someone else's money without their permission.

Just because it comes into your possession doesn't mean it's yours.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
In the United Kingdom:

quote:

Theft Act 1968:

F124A Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest;

(b)he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and

(c)he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled.

In Austraila:

quote:

A 21-year-old Malaysian student who became a multimillionaire by accident when a bank mistakenly transferred $4.6 million to her account, is facing charges after blowing most of the money on luxury goods.

In Canada:

quote:

SARNIA, Ont. – A man who kept $100,000, that had been mistakenly deposited in his bank account was sentenced Monday to two years’ house arrest.

In the United States (using Kansas state law as an example)

quote:

21-5802. Theft of property lost, mislaid or delivered by mistake. (a) Theft of property lost, mislaid or delivered by mistake is obtaining control of property of another by a person who:

(1) Knows or learns the identity of the owner thereof;

(2) fails to take reasonable measures to restore to the owner lost property, mislaid property or property delivered by a mistake; and

(3) intends to permanently deprive the owner of the possession, use or benefit of the property.

(b) Theft of property lost, mislaid or delivered by mistake of the value of:

(1) $100,000 or more is a severity level 5, nonperson felony;

(2) at least $25,000 but less than $100,000 is a severity level 7, nonperson felony;

(3) at least $1,000 but less than $25,000 is a severity level 9, nonperson felony; and

(4) less than $1,000 is a class A nonperson misdemeanor.

Also,

quote:

James Falzone made a bank deposit of $630 at Barnett Bank in New Port Richey, Fla., back in May 1985; a teller marked the bank deposit as $63,000. Falzone withdrew $47,000 four days later and paid off his MasterCard debt and some loans from Barnett and other banks (hey, at least he was financially responsible, right?). He was charged with grand theft.

And he was convicted.

So no, you don't get to keep it and yes, you will be charged with a crime.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The idea that the financial sector would leave itself culpable for any error it made while it has direct influence over all aspects of our laws and policy. Heh.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
And here is the thing.

Let's say this poo poo happens.

Let's say you go to the bank and say "Hey, this poo poo isn't right, you done hosed up, but I want to make things correct, because hey, I'm a good customer."

How many blowjobs do you think said bank would happily dispense to you, for doing the "right thing"?

You just took a lender of a significant amount of cash, to the local populace (in the case of a small bank, in the case of a large multinational bank HOLY loving poo poo!) off the god damned hook for a (relatively) huge amount of cash.

You're doing them a favor rear end oval office. So do them a favor you rear end oval office.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Thesaurus posted:

I'd like more stories of people thinking they've hit the jackpot with bank errors, only to screw themselves badly, please.

OH another error we had recently. Someone typed a bank account number in the dollar amount field for a deposit. Our system didn't have any sanity checks and deposited that amount in a client account.

Our bank account numbers are 12 digits. That client briefly had almost half a trillion dollars.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zero One posted:

Our bank account numbers are 12 digits. That client briefly had almost half a trillion dollars.

I'd like to speak to a branch manager, please.

It's of "VITAL" importance.

:stare: Christ.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Strangelet Wave posted:

Yes indeed. Like if you find $1,000 cash on the ground you turn it in to the police, because it belongs to someone else. If you spend it instead, you're a thief, because you're knowingly taking and using someone else's money without their permission.

"Finders keepers" is an American principle. Right after "Got mine, gently caress you."

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The biggest thing I'm getting out of these stories is that I need to know who Zero One works for so I can make sure I don't have any accounts with them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Well we fixed the issue with no sanity checks on deposit amounts and that guy never tried to buy any private islands before we fixed the error so everything was fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero One posted:

OH another error we had recently. Someone typed a bank account number in the dollar amount field for a deposit. Our system didn't have any sanity checks and deposited that amount in a client account.

When having a .01% interest bearing account doesn't seem so bad!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

VendaGoat posted:

AHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHHA!

(Deep breath in)

AHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!

I believe this is the gif you are after:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I knew someone that transferred money from the Malaysian division of a bank to the Singaporean division of the same bank and had their ringit (10ish, I think, per USD) converted to Sing (1.2 per USD) 1 for 1. The Malaysian division contacted them about it but it took a while for the Singaporean side to fix it. They didn't do anything with it, but it was funny when it happened because it was a huge bank that presumably makes that transfer fairly frequently.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

overdesigned posted:

The biggest thing I'm getting out of these stories is that I need to know who Zero One works for so I can make sure I don't have any accounts with them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Or maybe open more accounts in the hope that I fat finger your transfer one day?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strangelet Wave posted:

Apparently Monopoly needs to inform its players that "bank error in your favor: collect $200" isn't how it actually works.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Jesus Christ how do people not understand, "Intent matters"?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't sweat it if you bank with Zero One. Wherever you bank, tellers are almost exclusively semi retired old ladies or young people that just moved up from food service. They have to type in 5 to 10 digit numbers constantly, all day every day, so gently caress ups happen all the time. When I was a teller, we weren't even required to log any cash drawer imbalance of $20 or less.

Obviously this meant that everybody was $20 short every Friday night at closing.

Be smart when you steal from the bank. Now that's GWM

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

crazypeltast52 posted:

I knew someone that transferred money from the Malaysian division of a bank to the Singaporean division of the same bank and had their ringit (10ish, I think, per USD) converted to Sing (1.2 per USD) 1 for 1. The Malaysian division contacted them about it but it took a while for the Singaporean side to fix it. They didn't do anything with it, but it was funny when it happened because it was a huge bank that presumably makes that transfer fairly frequently.

Ringgit is down but not that bad, it's 4 ringgit per USD (it used to be closer to 3, when the exchange rate for S$ was 1.2, now it is down to 1.35 per USD). Still, a huge error to make for such an everyday transaction.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know, monopoly got a lot of things right about banks... like how the banker's sole goal in life is to steal every dollar they possibly can from the bank and gloat about it afterwards.

BWM contribution:
$500,000 in life insurance but I'm alone, have no close family, and have no debts. Just don't want to be a burden, if I gently caress something up accidentally on the way out the door feel free to sue my estate I guess?
Does the gub'ment tax away all the "my bad" insurance if leftovers go to non-profits?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

acidia posted:

I don't know, monopoly got a lot of things right about banks... like how the banker's sole goal in life is to steal every dollar they possibly can from the bank and gloat about it afterwards.

BWM contribution:
$500,000 in life insurance but I'm alone, have no close family, and have no debts. Just don't want to be a burden, if I gently caress something up accidentally on the way out the door feel free to sue my estate I guess?
Does the gub'ment tax away all the "my bad" insurance if leftovers go to non-profits?

It's loving 3:10am on the East coast.

Someone else answer this.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Wait, I'm sleepy and it just sounded wrong! A large part of my job is dealing with people who have screwed their families over before they passed away. I'm just a single dude who gets slightly discounted life insurance from work so I figured throwing money at it might make me good with morality?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's now 3:35 am on the East coast.

Does anyone want me to type out the game theory of; Your bank (which controls your credit history), Versus your Job ( which controls your current livelihood), Versus your wife/family (Which controls your micro version of your life, in regards to your most direct happiness and access to sexual gratification), versus your Macro view of your entire loving lifespan?

Cause loving "lol" if you don't think some oval office hasn't done a cost/benefit analysis on your worthless as loving poo poo of a life, because someone with a shitload more loving "influence" is asking them if you, as a person, "can be trusted".

You can kiss my entire rear end.

All of it. Twice.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I'm legitimately sorry dude, I didn't mean the monopoly thing as a personal dig by any means. I just came over here and was enjoying bank chat and wanted to make a joke that I thought everyone could relate to.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

acidia posted:

I'm legitimately sorry dude, I didn't mean the monopoly thing as a personal dig by any means. I just came over here and was enjoying bank chat and wanted to make a joke that I thought everyone could relate to.

:)

Which you did.

No dig taken, no besmirchment observed.

Humor is a good and rare thing in the finance industry.

If you have a wife I would simply ask you to give her a hug and kiss. before you go to sleep.

If you have children I would simply ask that you observe them, as they sleep and perhaps give them a kiss and hope for their best, while they dream.

There is no reason to be sorry. Just, understand what the definition of "progeny" means. That's all.

:)

If you have a dog or a cat, you loving give them pets as well! :)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
what the gently caress just happened

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Im choosing to parse the last part of that post as "get a pet Guinea pig for your cat"

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Trump vs Hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

Vendagoat has broken into his supply of amphetamines again.

• Locked thread