Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Because the difference in power level from a t1 deck to a t2 deck isn't as big as the standard format. You can also build multiple decks and be able to play those multiple decks card for card more than 3 months.

Modern has a pretty extensive array of budget options that kick that poo poo out of standard.

I actually agree with you but I'm just saying Modern isn't really set up for casual/new players if you want to play one of the known good decks. Sure you can play T3/T4 brews but I don't think someone is going to pay $70.00 to enter a GP to do so

I just think WoTC could do more to make the format more open to new players and just support it better overall but I don't think they'll do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

People loving LOVE Modern for some reason. I have no clue why...

The same "I get to use all my cards!" appeal as Legacy except for nonancient farts and without the need for alpha duals and without the specter of force of will and daze.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

I actually agree with you but I'm just saying Modern isn't really set up for casual/new players if you want to play one of the known good decks. Sure you can play T3/T4 brews but I don't think someone is going to pay $70.00 to enter a GP to do so

I just think WoTC could do more to make the format more open to new players and just support it better overall but I don't think they'll do so.

No matter what they do people would bitch and complain. They have aggressively reprinted modern cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The same "I get to use all my cards!" appeal as Legacy except for nonancient farts and without the need for alpha duals and without the specter of force of will and daze.

Sure but games of modern just aren't as good as games of Legacy or Standard for that matter.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If you need a good laugh about modern, read Todd Andersons latest PREMIUM article. I mostly agree with his premise but his solution is "unban the cards I like, ban the cards I don't like."

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Looking at the ban list for unbans I don't think sfm would make a big difference at all, even jtms is probably too slow right now though I don't expect either to ever be unbanned.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Because it's typically pretty fast to play, not a grindfest, plays powerful cards, has a huge player base, has a ton of different viable decks to fit playstyles, rewards knowing the meta, and also can reward good technical play. With the only downsides (to me) being cost of entry and increased variance, what's not to love?

I would argue these points. How does a format where you can play an entire GP without repeating decks or playing against any of the most popular/best decks reward knowing the meta? It rewards getting lucky with pairings maybe.

Basically what I'm saying is unban Twin. The format was so much better when it was legal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So legacy except you don't actually have the ability to stop the degenerate stuff that people are trying to do.

Edit: Also this:

Snacksmaniac posted:

If you need a good laugh about modern, read Todd Andersons latest PREMIUM article. I mostly agree with his premise but his solution is "unban the cards I like, ban the cards I don't like."

Yeah I'm not entirely sure about his ban/unban list but the rest of the article is spot on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Molybdenum posted:

Looking at the ban list for unbans I don't think sfm would make a big difference at all, even jtms is probably too slow right now though I don't expect either to ever be unbanned.

Stoneforge would make any other midrange deck unplayable if it didn't play Stoneforge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

In my area at least, modern is the more popular FNM format and it is it full of casual players. Yes t1 decks are harder to attain then standard t1 decks, but that is basically 300$ for the short term verses 700$ for the long term. And yeah, wotc could do a ton better by supporting the format while also making money.

A good friend of mine recently had a birthday. He has been borrowing decks for FNM so me and a few friends pitched in to get him https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/394701 . He is an old school player who use to cast a lot of stone rain back in the day. So far he is 2/2 and 3/1 with the deck. Modern is the best format.

mcmagic posted:

Stoneforge would make any other midrange deck unplayable if it didn't play Stoneforge.

K-command laughs at your silly stoneforge.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 26, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Molybdenum posted:

JTMS would have been okay to unban at least a year ago and has been probably fine to play for a long time but people will start making GBS threads their pants and screaming about blue cards, so no matter what happens it will never be legal in any future format. Ever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For me at least, the big appeal of Modern is definitely being able to keep using the same cards. I'm lucky if I can make more than one local event a month, if I dropped a couple hundred on a Standard deck and played at that rate it just wouldn't be worth the time and cost in any sense. At that point I'd probably get more fun for my money with an MMO sub of some sort.

There's also the appeal of having more cards available and a having a larger tool set for building decks, there's a lot of creative stuff in the format.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wizards just needs to work harder at keeping up with what players want. They could probably make a lot of money printing sets like modern masters to demand instead of limited runs, like with Conspiracy. People WANT modern, the event numbers show it.

To their credit I think this is easier said than done due to how far out they have to plan some of these sets. With multi-year development cycles it's tough to anticipate which cards people are clamoring to reprint. Printing a Modern power-card also brings a risk of warping Standard (the moneymaker for Wizards) around that card; there was that rumored LotV reprint in M15 that was supposedly scrapped due to how nuts the MonoB decks of that Standard would have been.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Could you post some of the highlights?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Not "would" have been, those stupid mono black devotion decks were miserable. it's sort of funny that gray merchant ended up being such a huge nuisance in standard and pauper.

Madmarker posted:

Could you post some of the highlights?

"hi im todd anderson and i made my girlfriend miserable and rich hagon chronicled it"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

In my area at least, modern is the more popular FNM format and it is it full of casual players. Yes t1 decks are harder to attain then standard t1 decks, but that is basically 300$ for the short term verses 700$ for the long term. And yeah, wotc could do a ton better by supporting the format while also making money.

A good friend of mine recently had a birthday. He has been borrowing decks for FNM so me and a few friends pitched in to get him https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/394701 . He is an old school player who use to cast a lot of stone rain back in the day. So far he is 2/2 and 3/1 with the deck. Modern is the best format.

K-command laughs at your silly stoneforge.

Remember how K Command was supposed to make Affinity unplayable?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Not "would" have been, those stupid mono black devotion decks were miserable. it's sort of funny that gray merchant ended up being such a huge nuisance in standard and pauper.

"hi im todd anderson and i made my girlfriend miserable and rich hagon chronicled it"

I didn't know about him making his girlfriend miserable, anything in particular. I did know about him being a smug gremlin, but I spend very little time interacting with him so :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i don't remember where it was but i remember a lot of dragging of him on my twitter feed back around when it came out. honestly it might have even just been todd posting about it in his own articles.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It definitely didn't make it more playable, that is for sure.

Affinity has also been a tumbleweed until recently so....

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

To their credit I think this is easier said than done due to how far out they have to plan some of these sets. With multi-year development cycles it's tough to anticipate which cards people are clamoring to reprint. Printing a Modern power-card also brings a risk of warping Standard (the moneymaker for Wizards) around that card; there was that rumored LotV reprint in M15 that was supposedly scrapped due to how nuts the MonoB decks of that Standard would have been.

Yeah I mean more towards supplemental products. There's cards that have been format staples for years, they could stop being so shy about reprinting them and use the yearly commander products or duel decks to reprint them. Start throwing Snapcasters in blue decks every year, goyfs in green decks, bobs in black decks, etc. Instead we routinely get 1 good chase card people go after while it's high like TNN or containment priest.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

A. No it wouldn't this is still a really dumb thing to say. In a world with Thoughtseize and Kolaghan's Command, Stoneforge is probably fine. It also can't get Jitte which is the main reason it's so good in legacy.
B. Even if it did kill Jund (which I'm almost 100% positive is impossible short of banning half a dozen cards) that's one deck we would lose and it would potentially make a non-BGx midrange deck viable.
C. It would help nerf the aggro decks that are running wild all over the format.
D. It would maybe make Death and Taxes playable? Probably not but you never know.

We might have to ban Cranial Plating if Stoneforge got unbanned though.

mcmagic posted:

No. Because it's a 3 mana spell.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
JtMS + Ancestral Vision is probably too good. You can mitigate the downside of drawing Visions late by brainstorming it away.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Game 1 against Dredge: Turn 1 Faithless looting, Turn 2 Tormenting voice, suddenly four Prized Amalgams appear on the battlefield. My turn 2 Scavenging Ooze just wasn't good enough...

(I won games 2 and 3 with Yixlid Jailer and Leyline of the Void.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

JtMS + Ancestral Vision is probably too good. You can mitigate the downside of drawing Visions late by brainstorming it away.

On turn 4 after half of the decks in the format have already killed you, or will kill you because you tapped out on turn 4 in modern you big dummy.

Also uh, that's exactly what Nahiri does, and she's much better at doing it because it means you're not adding dead cards back into your deck to draw later. She also kills much faster than Jace with the extra upside of actually killing creatures that can threaten her.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you can tap out for and zero your JTMS on turn 4 to get rid of an Ancestral Visions you were winning that game really hard anyway.

edit: oh, you did say late. If you have an active JTMS and are in control enough to be using an activation to toss an Ancestral Visions you were winning really hard anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

On turn 4 after half of the decks in the format have already killed you, or will kill you because you tapped out on turn 4 in modern you big dummy.

Also uh, that's exactly what Nahiri does, and she's much better at doing it because it means you're not adding dead cards back into your deck to draw later. She also kills much faster than Jace with the extra upside of actually killing creatures that can threaten her.

I would hope a deck that plays a turn 4 jace would have things to do on turns 1-3.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yeah I mean more towards supplemental products. There's cards that have been format staples for years, they could stop being so shy about reprinting them and use the yearly commander products or duel decks to reprint them. Start throwing Snapcasters in blue decks every year, goyfs in green decks, bobs in black decks, etc. Instead we routinely get 1 good chase card people go after while it's high like TNN or containment priest.

They don't like doing this because all the modern/legacy players snap them up and then it's hard for actual edh players to get their hands on them.

They already have a better solution with the masters sets, but they refuse to make those not lovely for whatever reason.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

A. No it wouldn't this is still a really dumb thing to say. In a world with Thoughtseize and Kolaghan's Command, Stoneforge is probably fine. It also can't get Jitte which is the main reason it's so good in legacy.
Agreed, as powerful as batterskull/stoneforge is K.Command puts a real hurting on it. I think it would get played, but I don't believe it would be as dominating as it was in standard nor as powerful as it is in legacy.

suicidesteve posted:

B. Even if it did kill Jund (which I'm almost 100% positive is impossible short of banning half a dozen cards) that's one deck we would lose and it would potentially make a non-BGx midrange deck viable.

Agreed again, Jund's biggest strength is that it is really just the best cards in three colors smashed together. Unless they banned Lilli, Bob, Goyf, Thoughtseize, IOK and Bolt, some version of the deck will probably stick around.

suicidesteve posted:

C. It would help nerf the aggro decks that are running wild all over the format.
Maybe? The hyper aggro decks are incredibly fast, I don't know if stoneforge/bskull would be enough to really dilute them. Not that I would really mind, if some of the hyper fast decks, Death's shadow in particular, were reined in.

suicidesteve posted:

D. It would maybe make Death and Taxes playable? Probably not but you never know.

Hatebears and Eldrazi and Taxes are both relatively successful tier 1.5 strats. I wouldn't say it is a great deck, but getting to run the arbiter + path combo against aggro decks and the arbiter + ghost quarter combo against midrange is very nice. Add in Thalia and New Thalia, which have both been quite effective, and some great sideboard options the deck see's some play as is. Add in the stoneforge package and the deck should be pretty good.

Honeslty, without Jitte, I really don't worry about stoneforge, I think it would shake up the meta, but not in a negative way. SO in short, I agree, but I don't know how much of a nerf it would give to the hyper aggro decks.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 26, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Haha, this looks janky and cool. I might give this a shot after UW Turbofog this week

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

I would hope a deck that plays a turn 4 jace would have things to do on turns 1-3.

those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Those are probably on similar dev cycles but I agree with the idea. Maybe not the same huge money card(s) each time but give each deck at least one reprint that people care about.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man I've opened 6 packs of Conspiracy now (I was hoping to play at the store tonight but had to leave) and the best thing I've gotten is a Serum Visions. Give me that Show and Tell you loving box

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to show up to the LGS and there will be like 2 other people there.

Sigh.

I can't even try this out online like I've been doing for EMN.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

I would argue these points. How does a format where you can play an entire GP without repeating decks or playing against any of the most popular/best decks reward knowing the meta? It rewards getting lucky with pairings maybe.

Basically what I'm saying is unban Twin. The format was so much better when it was legal.

I don't understand how having to build literally every deck around the question "but what about twin??" made it a better format.

And you are potentially correct about the meta stuff. If you know your local meta you certainly can try to shore up those matchups. But a meta is a meta, even when it's wide. No matter what, I'd rather there be 10 decks to have to think about than 3, which is what standard has seemed like since BFZ was released and Theros block and M15 rotated out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The next Modern ban will be Become Immense.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dredge Chat:

Just had it confirmed that you cannot flashback a conflagrate to kill a Yixlid Jailer. Has to be from the hand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

Dredge Chat:

Just had it confirmed that you cannot flashback a conflagrate to kill a Yixlid Jailer. Has to be from the hand.

How good graveyard hate is Yixlid Jailer? This seems pretty iffy to me. I am also confused how dredge can sleeve up less than 4 enchantment/artifact removal in their sideboard.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I would 100% support that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Even as someone who enjoys playing infect, I won't really mind it. It's the card that I hate drawing more than 1 of more than anything, and just feels like something I am required to run. Freeing up those slots would be fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

How good graveyard hate is Yixlid Jailer? This seems pretty iffy to me.

It's pretty solid. It is a one-toughness creature, which is a hefty downside (dies to Darkblast, Golgari Charm, Conflagrate for 3...), but the Dredge deck literally can't do anything until they draw something to remove it. I would play it as a sideboard 1-of in any deck that can tutor for it.

Extra copies, or if you're playing a deck without Chord, are not particularly exciting though.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

How good graveyard hate is Yixlid Jailer? This seems pretty iffy to me. I am also confused how dredge can sleeve up less than 4 enchantment/artifact removal in their sideboard.

It's petty good; but not perfect. Any removal can hit it BUT as referenced, it has to be from hand.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

That seems pretty fair, the deck was still good before and I'd still play it after such a ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cactrot posted:

That seems pretty fair, the deck was still good before and I'd still play it after such a ban.

Death's Shadow is nerfed without it, too.

• Locked thread