Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Finally got my first Deviant set to level 6, Drilltusk. Would've been Dreadqueen, but the poison was more than a little daunting there.

Honestly, I like it. It's a grind, yeah, but you're guaranteed to get two of the tickets you need to make anything, and at level 6 you'll always get additional tickets for another rank, if that's where you want to stop. The paired skills and defense even at level 6 are definitely worth it, and while I don't think I'll get up to level 10, I feel like I've earned this super cool armor. It's better than, say, Alatreon armor in MH4U, too; there you need a super rare drop from five different other monsters to even make the set, but with Deviants you get the whole thing from a couple of runs through the first rank, and you're told "hey you can make this even more awesome if you work at it."

The skills unlock at a reasonable spot, too, right at the level where the Deviants get significantly harder than most other monsters you'll fight at HR, so it's a challenge but you're not forced to endure that same challenge up to and including level 10. You've got your success; anything else is just further improvement on what you have, which is pretty great already.

I'm probably going to finish up Dreadqueen, Redhelm, Deadeye, and maybe Thunderlord and Dreadking armors. The rest aren't super appealing to me, but boy do some of them have great weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm plodding through village at a decent pace, and last critical quest I need to do to unlock the next rank is double Khezu. I've also made a gunner set and a few ranged weapons. If I'm reading everything correctly, my Kut Ku set with Attack Up(S) and Fire Attack +1 would confer both bonuses at once to each shot of the fire element Kut Ku bow? That seems fairly nice. I'm not doing as much damage as the Tetsucabra axe in aerial mode with BuJaBuJaBu armor but it's fun!

Khezu is weak to fire, right? I tested the set with an Uruktor lbg and fire ammo and it still took every fire and pellet round I could carry to put one of them down. Two Khezu that way seems hellacious.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm plodding through village at a decent pace, and last critical quest I need to do to unlock the next rank is double Khezu. I've also made a gunner set and a few ranged weapons. If I'm reading everything correctly, my Kut Ku set with Attack Up(S) and Fire Attack +1 would confer both bonuses at once to each shot of the fire element Kut Ku bow? That seems fairly nice. I'm not doing as much damage as the Tetsucabra axe in aerial mode with BuJaBuJaBu armor but it's fun!

Khezu is weak to fire, right? I tested the set with an Uruktor lbg and fire ammo and it still took every fire and pellet round I could carry to put one of them down. Two Khezu that way seems hellacious.

White Khezu is weak to fire yes. He also sucks to fight because as you've discovered he's just a sack of hitpoints.

Make sure to be hitting him in the head whenever possible and don't bother with pellet except for maybe Zinogre and Kirin.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Sorry to real this super high HR discussion all the way back to HR1, but I'm just curious. I've gone through all the guild HR1 quests and will be taking on the urgent as soon as I get off work, but one thing I was running into is that my weapons (Plume Sword 2 (LS) and Dual Piercers 1 (DB)) have just a sliver of green sharpness and it seems that a lot of my the monsters I've been fighting kind of require that green sharpness to damage. I wanted to upgrade those weapons to get more green, but that requires Bealite ore which seems to only be available at HR2. No biggie, I say to myself, just craft a new weapon or switch weapon types! Well it seems that pretty much anything with more than an itty bitty sliver of green requires bealite.

I managed to survive so far by sharpening my blades pretty much any chance I get and by trying to focus on weakpoints like heads and manes. Am I doing this right, or have I pushed myself into an artificially difficult situation by using sub-par weapons?

It seems that as soon as I hit HR2, things will open up a lot and I'll be able to diversify since so much crafting material is just not attainable at HR1.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't feel like you should be having trouble with monsters using only Yellow Sharpness at HR1. It'll suffice until you have a healthy amount of green.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Man, while the deviant armors certainly aren't bad for ranged weapons, the best you're gonna get is narg or rathalos which don't include any of the super sweet skills like load up, dead eye, unscathed, normal plus or pierce plus + repeat offender for a pierce set, much less two of them. What's more is most of the mixed sets that let you make those skills without some kind of miracle +5/+10 three slot super charm aren't even in the game yet so you gotta kind of make due until then.

I guess the same problem exists for blade master to a certain degree in that if you want that glass cannon + 2 sharpness AuL / +3 crit it's not gonna be deviant and you'll probably have to wait for DLC to do it easily. Still, from messing around with Athena's it seems like you can get a lot closer with blade sets than ranged.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The OP and a lot of people online keep mentioning camera lock-on. Is there really a way to make it lock on the monster or do they just mean pressing L to center it?

(Just bought a new 3DS and this, I'm new to the series).

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Elman posted:

The OP and a lot of people online keep mentioning camera lock-on. Is there really a way to make it lock on the monster or do they just mean pressing L to center it?

(Just bought a new 3DS and this, I'm new to the series).

Its a soft lock, so it will point the camera at the monster. If you doubletap L it will recenter the camera to face your charecter's forward

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Alxprit posted:

I don't feel like you should be having trouble with monsters using only Yellow Sharpness at HR1. It'll suffice until you have a healthy amount of green.

Hmmm, seems like pretty much all monsters had pretty large sections of their body that seemed to bounce or deflect my attacks. At least that's what I think that white flash means when you hit the part. Like, Lagombi's haunches bounced all of my yellow sharpness long sword attacks, but his rear end and head did not. Pretty much every monsters' back was registering white hits when I would aerial attack them with yellow sharpness dual blades.

It wasn't a huge thing, and once I made allowances for it I was able to take out most of them without fainting, but it did seem like I was having to sharpen my tools a bunch.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

USMC_Karl posted:

Hmmm, seems like pretty much all monsters had pretty large sections of their body that seemed to bounce or deflect my attacks. At least that's what I think that white flash means when you hit the part. Like, Lagombi's haunches bounced all of my yellow sharpness long sword attacks, but his rear end and head did not. Pretty much every monsters' back was registering white hits when I would aerial attack them with yellow sharpness dual blades.

It wasn't a huge thing, and once I made allowances for it I was able to take out most of them without fainting, but it did seem like I was having to sharpen my tools a bunch.

When a weapon bounces, you'll know it; it makes a loud "clunk" sound, yellow sparks fly from where you hit, your combo is interrupted, and your hunter staggers back from the recoil. It sounds like you're describing a critical hit? Or maybe an ice effect? Or it could even just be the DB hit effect.

Also, if you're really having trouble with lovely sharpness, all aerial attacks carry innate Mind's Eye, which is a skill that allows an attack to avoid bouncing if it normally would. Other notables are switch axe's sword mode, and sword and shield's Mind's Eye oil coating you can buy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elman posted:

There's a button you can add to the touch screen that lets you select a large monster (no scrub-tiers) and when you tap L, it centers the camera on the monster instead of the direction you're facing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So, uh, I bought the game digitally and it still loving crashes. gently caress my 3DS, I guess?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Phantasium posted:

So, uh, I bought the game digitally and it still loving crashes. gently caress my 3DS, I guess?

Could it be something wrong with your sd card? I can't imagine anything else you could try short of your 3ds being faulty. That sucks :(

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah replacing the sd card is next on the list but I'm sure it won't change anything.

Not spoiled for choice of games at the moment, at least. Or at least I could not fight Tetsu but I feel like we've developed a bond or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Phantasium posted:

Yeah replacing the sd card is next on the list but I'm sure it won't change anything.

Not spoiled for choice of games at the moment, at least. Or at least I could not fight Tetsu but I feel like we've developed a bond or something.
It's not the SD card, your crashes aren't happening when the card is accessed. Save yourself the cash.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Konig posted:

When a weapon bounces, you'll know it; it makes a loud "clunk" sound, yellow sparks fly from where you hit, your combo is interrupted, and your hunter staggers back from the recoil. It sounds like you're describing a critical hit? Or maybe an ice effect? Or it could even just be the DB hit effect.

Also, if you're really having trouble with lovely sharpness, all aerial attacks carry innate Mind's Eye, which is a skill that allows an attack to avoid bouncing if it normally would. Other notables are switch axe's sword mode, and sword and shield's Mind's Eye oil coating you can buy.

Well maybe I'm misreading the hit queues then. I've definitely had my plume sword actually bounce off of Lagombi's haunches, but other than that everything has actually been peachy. I think my brain just started freaking out and equating anything not-blood after a hit with no-reduced damage.

I've been using aerial with my dual blades because what is cooler than a dude chainsawing with two swords and haven't really had too many problems with them.

Thanks for clearing up things, I was worried that I had chosen dumb weapons or that I was handicapping myself by using weapons that were lovely. It appears that I was just worried about nothing though.

I think I definitely will start paying attention to flash bombs and the like, though. Those things seem to be super handy. Guess I'll have to go farm materials...

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

USMC_Karl posted:

I think I definitely will start paying attention to flash bombs and the like, though. Those things seem to be super handy. Guess I'll have to go farm materials...

It makes you feel really pro when you use a situational item properly. I still haven't gotten the hang of flash bombs, but I think that's mostly because I only recently learned to throw them AWAY from the monster; they travel forwards quite a way, and because the monster is 80% of the time looking at you, if it travels beyond them they won't get flashed. Tossing it in the opposite direction guarantees it'll be in their field of vision.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

USMC_Karl posted:

Well it seems that pretty much anything with more than an itty bitty sliver of green requires bealite.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/bealite-ore

Not sure how far you are into Village, but you can get plenty of Bealite from LR Deserted Island.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

is it OK to say gently caress it and start playing dress up hunter? I'm about to clear HR 7 on the hub. I'm just sick of Bone set for HH :smith:

like I'll use armor sets that have useful skills but it won't be as optimal as Bone set with Sharpness decorations or whatever

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Zmej posted:

is it OK to say gently caress it and start playing dress up hunter? I'm about to clear HR 7 on the hub. I'm just sick of Bone set for HH :smith:

like I'll use armor sets that have useful skills but it won't be as optimal as Bone set with Sharpness decorations or whatever

Always.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Zmej posted:

Do whatever you want, always. It was okay to do that as far back as Village quests!

It's always a good idea to have skills that compliment what you're using or doing, but Monster Hunter skills are a supplement to player skill, not a requirement. Nothing necessitates having optimal skills equipped all the time.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zmej posted:

If you're worried about not having Maestro, don't be. You can gem that into anything with 5 slots.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Zmej posted:

The point of a game is to have fun. You don't have to play optimally to have fun.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
My current goal is to slowly progress to HR with my girlfriend, then build HR Gammoth armor and fill it with Vault Gems because hell yeah Aerial style.

We're almost done with HR3 thankfully, because I've almost got both DreadQueen and SnowBaron to rank 3 sets soloing, indicating a total lack of other things to do. Excited for the 2 headed dragon fight, it sounds rad.

How do you unlock redhelm? Is there a quest in guild for it? I think all other deviants start in HR, right?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ambi posted:

My current goal is to slowly progress to HR with my girlfriend, then build HR Gammoth armor and fill it with Vault Gems because hell yeah Aerial style.

We're almost done with HR3 thankfully, because I've almost got both DreadQueen and SnowBaron to rank 3 sets soloing, indicating a total lack of other things to do. Excited for the 2 headed dragon fight, it sounds rad.

How do you unlock redhelm? Is there a quest in guild for it? I think all other deviants start in HR, right?

The Ingredient of Legend, Guild HR1 quest. You also can unlock Stonefist through Shells of Steel in HR1 too.

IMO Redhelm is the hardest so far, but the set's really solid nonetheless. Everything else is HR.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Here's a good tip for other new guys. Don't forget to switch elemental bows around between monsters. You might do something morbidly stupid, like bringing the fire bow you used against Khezu into the urgent Yian Garuga hunt instead of the nice water bow you made from hermitaur parts.

:negative:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Anyone have advice on what to make from deviant Zinogre? Evade-lancing Zinogre is my favorite matchup, but I'm a bit hazy on what to do with the proceeds

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Here's a good tip for other new guys. Don't forget to switch elemental bows around between monsters. You might do something morbidly stupid, like bringing the fire bow you used against Khezu into the urgent Yian Garuga hunt instead of the nice water bow you made from hermitaur parts.

:negative:

or use teostra bow on everything forever because it's good against 100% of the game

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hermitaur bow is the sickest.

It's an uzi!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mortimer posted:

or use teostra bow on everything forever because it's good against 100% of the game

Just opened rank 5, Teostra is probably a good ways away. Did kill Mizutsune and Gammoth though so I feel like I'm making decent progress. Aerial switch axe with exhaust phial is really nice for enabling mounts. Speaking of which, my axe gives -10% affinity. That's my critical hit chance, right? How do I know if I've caused one; is that when the blood splash graphic on a hit is black instead of bright red?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Just opened rank 5, Teostra is probably a good ways away. Did kill Mizutsune and Gammoth though so I feel like I'm making decent progress. Aerial switch axe with exhaust phial is really nice for enabling mounts. Speaking of which, my axe gives -10% affinity. That's my critical hit chance, right? How do I know if I've caused one; is that when the blood splash graphic on a hit is black instead of bright red?

In your case yeah, the darker black, larger slashes are negative criticals. Positive affinity ones are brighter red ones of the same effect.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Konig posted:

Tossing it in the opposite direction guarantees it'll be in their field of vision.

Except when they're taking off or landing. I can only assume this is the first game in the series where the monsters are impervious to being flashed out of the air when moving between zones. It really loving sucks since it was an amazing opening.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Squidtentacle posted:

The Ingredient of Legend, Guild HR1 quest. You also can unlock Stonefist through Shells of Steel in HR1 too.

IMO Redhelm is the hardest so far, but the set's really solid nonetheless. Everything else is HR.

Yeah you weren't kidding Redhelm > Dreadqueen on first fight, though I think I've spent a great deal more time fighting Rathian through the generations than Arzuros so I might just not know his moves. I did get absolutely swatted a few times using Aerial Hammer, when he does the fish toss thing it has massive reach - both vertical and practically behind him. A bit salty I broke his head and didn't get any ragehair.
His set looks rad though, which of his weapons are good to use the spare ticket on?

Stonefist is pretty easy, hits pretty hard but not the freight train of Redhelm or the speed of Lagombi, the big claw throwing up stones takes some getting used to, the spray has mad range. Kinda meh on the set, looks a lot like Mizutsune skill-wise, probably great for any kind of Lancing but I've always been lukewarm on the Hermitaur aesthetic and was hoping Stonefist was a cooler revamp than just "plus hell spikes". Excited for a Deviant hammer finally, though Claws seem pretty tough to get what with the thing being harder than diamond for half the fight. Does it also take more damage when steaming or is that just the indicator that you can hit it without bouncing?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ambi posted:

Yeah you weren't kidding Redhelm > Dreadqueen on first fight, though I think I've spent a great deal more time fighting Rathian through the generations than Arzuros so I might just not know his moves. I did get absolutely swatted a few times using Aerial Hammer, when he does the fish toss thing it has massive reach - both vertical and practically behind him. A bit salty I broke his head and didn't get any ragehair.
His set looks rad though, which of his weapons are good to use the spare ticket on?

Stonefist is pretty easy, hits pretty hard but not the freight train of Redhelm or the speed of Lagombi, the big claw throwing up stones takes some getting used to, the spray has mad range. Kinda meh on the set, looks a lot like Mizutsune skill-wise, probably great for any kind of Lancing but I've always been lukewarm on the Hermitaur aesthetic and was hoping Stonefist was a cooler revamp than just "plus hell spikes". Excited for a Deviant hammer finally, though Claws seem pretty tough to get what with the thing being harder than diamond for half the fight. Does it also take more damage when steaming or is that just the indicator that you can hit it without bouncing?

The thing about Redhelm is that he hits like a truck, covers a lot of ground with his attacks, and you will inevitably bounce on everything but his head (unreachable except for rare openings or aerial attacks) and his hind legs unless you have blue sharpness, which you probably won't for a while, or a switch axe in blade mode or longsword with full spirit. Spam dung bombs for a couple of good head shots, use traps to keep him floored, and mount mount mount. Bonus points because you need his broken head for SO MUCH.

Redhelm's stuff is all pretty solid raw equipment. I have the longsword and dual blades myself, and the hunting horn has okay songs. Most of it trades raw damage for affinity and size of blue sharpness.

For Stonefist, it does take more damage when steaming. It's usually a good rule of thumb that the more blood comes out the more damage you're causing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Finally got the Bow of Hope & Valor. Then used the event quest with the Hyper Garuga to mine some Firecell Stones to upgrade it quickly. This is gonna be good.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Some good advice there. Man I love Arzuros and was super glad to see him get a subspecies in generations. You can keep your elder dragons and gods, I just want a really big bear.

Some quick questions about adept. Does it just totally obsolete dodge+ and does reloading after a dodge with a LBG provide anything more than minor +damage to the next few shots?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just had my most "Monster Hunter" experience yet.

I saw I'd missed a villager request with the trader because it required a trunkspine, but every time I've killed Gammoth I'd just used Aerial GS and spammed charged jumps on his butt until he died so I didn't actually have one yet. So being afraid of standing in front of the giant ice elephant, I figured adept bow would be a decent option to stay mobile while sticking close to his face. Except, I didn't actually have any good bows, so I burned through my 120k zenny stockpile making a bunch of them, most of which weren't even relevant to Gammoth, eventually ending up with the Glavenus bow. Except then, I found I didn't have any armor worth using against Glavenus, so I ended up making the Rathalos set. Except then, I didn't have quite enough parts to make it so I ended up grinding Rathalos so for his low rank armor (even though I'm in the middle of hub 4* and I know low rank stuff is going to be obsolete quickly) so I could kill low rank village Gammoth so I could get back to soloing high rank hub keys. :shepface:

This loving game

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Wrist Watch posted:

I just had my most Monster Hunter" experience yet.

I saw I'd missed a villager request with the trader because it required a trunkspine, but every time I've killed Gammoth I'd just used Aerial GS and spammed charged jumps on his butt until he died so I didn't actually have one yet. So being afraid of standing in front of the giant ice elephant, I figured adept bow would be a decent option to stay mobile while sticking close to his face. Except, I didn't actually have any good bows, so I burned through my 120k zenny stockpile making a bunch of them, most of which weren't even relevant to Gammoth, eventually ending up with the Glavenus bow. Except then, I found I didn't have any armor worth using against Glavenus, so I ended up making the Rathalos set. Except then, I didn't have quite enough parts to make it so I ended up grinding Rathalos so for his low rank armor (even though I'm in the middle of hub 4* and I know low rank stuff is going to be obsolete quickly) so I could kill low rank village Gammoth so I could get back to soloing high rank hub keys. :shepface:

This loving game

Or: Capture him

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Don't be afraid of standing in front of him, it's not so bad. Or aerial wail on his head a lot like I did, and be upset once you realize you need multiple trunkspines, and just breaking it only gets you one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That story resonated with me though. I've done some real weird gymnastics when making elemental weapons and wanting to try a new one.

• Locked thread