Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
when i play skaven i will work my rear end off to be eternal allies of karl franz and never betray him just to trash the lore as much as humanly possible

e: i will practice by playing beastmen and immediately going north to trash the norse forever

ee: and playing dwarves and forgiving everyone constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheChad posted:

Beastmen eat people and are horrible mutated monsters. Franz would cut his own dick off before allying with them.

Honestly, the way I understand it: beastmen need humans to eat and rape to replenish their numbers (or something? I think its implied beastmen reproduce by taking human women?) So they should be ready to defend humans, if only to ensure the supply of meat and babies for the future.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Honestly, the way I understand it: beastmen need humans to eat and rape to replenish their numbers (or something? I think its implied beastmen reproduce by taking human women?) So they should be ready to defend humans, if only to ensure the supply of meat and babies for the future.

There are female Beastmen, they're just rare. There's even one in-game! The Doe follower you can pick up for your lords and heroes that gives horde growth.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

when i play skaven i will work my rear end off to be eternal allies of karl franz and never betray him just to trash the lore as much as humanly possible

e: i will practice by playing beastmen and immediately going north to trash the norse forever

ee: and playing dwarves and forgiving everyone constantly

As vampire counts I spent most of the game trading and being friends with my steadfast allies the Dwarfs (the ones to the east with bluetooth symbol).

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Far as I know, beastmen being at war with Norsceans is pretty normal in the lore(supposedly the north is crawling with beastmen) , also they can at times war with the Warriors of Chaos even if they sometimes work together when the dark gods will it, but in the end of the day they are all humans which beastmen see as nothing more then prey to be hunted.
Beastmen being at war with anyone and everyone would be fairly lore friendly, if you wanna go total lore opposite you'd want to try make peace with everyone, signing NAPs and defensive alliances all over the place.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, nothing stops you from modding in a GOR PAW REVOLUSHN beastmen faction that thrives on friendship and removes chaos corruption. :v:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dartonus posted:

There are female Beastmen, they're just rare. There's even one in-game! The Doe follower you can pick up for your lords and heroes that gives horde growth.

...ew.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i hadnt quite put that one together before

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I also pay 50$ for a cab ride downtown to drink with my friends and another 50$ for a cab ride back... this is for 4-5 hours of fun.

That's more devilish than Chaos Undivided, jesus christ.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Vampire counts allying with order races is far more likely. In fact I'm fairly sure they are further from chaos than the human race due to the magic of undeath being anathema to chaos. ( You can't corrupt spooky skeletons after all)

Beastmen are just the corrupted forest aspect of chaos and don't have the agency to choose non "pillage and burn" goals.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

It's just animal sex, why are you loving with nature bro?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

dogstile posted:

It's just animal sex, why are you loving with nature bro?

...let's do it like they do on the discovery channel

and by that I mean terribly-acted reality tv posing as good over-the-shoulder shows like border security

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Choyi posted:

Beastmen also style themselves as "the true children of Chaos", and will fanatically follow the will of Chaos gods with the goal of ending human civilization, even if it means enduring working together with the human "poser" chaos worshipers such as Warriors of Chaos.
The very notion of order and civilization offends all beastemen, so there is no way they would ever even consider any pacts or long term peace with nations of humans, dwarfs or elves, at best they may be ok with some of the orc tribes due to their potential for more primitive savagery.

Once you work together to burn the world, the only thing left to do as Beastmen at the end of your campaign is devour the WoC pretenders and their Norscan lapdogs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It's all well and good to play to the character of your chosen race, but if the game throws you the opportunity to do something hilarious I feel like you're pretty much honour-bound to take it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
These are always so incomplete it barely matters, but skill previews for the DLC lords:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Helman_Ghorst

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Volkmar_the_Grim

As much as he's a weird obscure pick they practically made up from nothing, Ghorst seems like he'll be really fun to play.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's all well and good to play to the character of your chosen race, but if the game throws you the opportunity to do something hilarious I feel like you're pretty much honour-bound to take it.

I've found this is easiest to do with VC, since their position on the map often sets them up for a Big drat Heroes moment with their Dwarfen allies when Chaos invades. Since you can't play as Kislev it often leaves VC as the sole Shield of Civilization.

Of course you can always play to character and swoop in and conquer all of your allies land once they've been ravaged by Chaos.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do vassals count for your Imperium score? Because I triggered the real Chaos invasion about 20 turns too early :doh:

Either that or taking the entire Badlands will max out the score immediately, I can't tell.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
How do I get "more" out of this game?

Like, I really enjoy it, but I confess that in the tactical battles (playing as the Empire), things seem to always devolve into a pretty rote pattern - my artillery and missile fire tries to maul the opponent while they close, then the infantry lines (mixed with some AI cavalry on their part) kind of all smushes together and makes clanging sounds, while cavalry kind of muddles around on the flanks and tries to go after anything soft that isn't guarded or near something with spears.

I mean, it's okay and all, but in particular the infantry seems too chaotic to really assign anything intelligently. It pretty much always just devolves into this muddle in the middle. Even for spellcasting, I'm basically just picking a random muddle of infantry to cast buffs and debuffs on. Same thing with the leadership abilities, charge shock bonuses, etc. I more or less just click them whenever they're up, because for most of the battle there really isn't charging, it's just a big clump of infantry stuck together.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Play on harder difficulties, or raise the battle difficulty if you want to keep your campaign difficulty as-is.

I keep mine on normal because I feel like it's the only setting that respects the innate differences between units and factions in-universe (a dwarf warrior would not fold before a goblin) and that's more important to me than having to micro every part of my army to perfection, but the raw stat boosts and leadership bonus the AI gets on higher difficulties should turn most "even" battles into interesting puzzles.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I'm rolling with an 8 melee, 4 Thunderers, 4 Grudge-throwers, 2 Cannons plus Master Engineer army against the big Chaos invasion. Very good at annihilating the Warrior/Chosen blob as they advance, but fighting chariots is a massive loving pain in the rear end since you have to keep your poo poo tight and even braced Ironbreakers will get knocked out of formation from a charge since they only neutralize the charge bonus damage.

I'm entertaining two options:

1) Cannons on the flanks, shoot them down before lines clash. If necessary, drop two throwers for more guns.

2) Drop the Thunderers, take Gyrocopters and shoot/bomb the poo poo out of them.

Dwarf players, which do you think is the best option? And if you prefer Gyrocopters, do the Gyrobombers actually do more shooting damage than the Brimstone Guns like their unit sheet says?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
A few people pointed out that Slayers are actually not bad for their intended role now and I have actually had some good success against cavalry in my current playthrough. I'd personally try dropping one or two ranged units and replacing them with Slayers. Hold them in reserve until the chariots charge and the rush in and pick them off.
They'll still mess up your lines but I don't think you'll find a reasonable way to consistently prevent them from reaching you. I'd love to see Ironbreakers get a buff so they don't get knocked over as much/at all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is this real?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Is this real?

I dunno, you tell me

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Is this real?

One of the video links said Vlad was being released as a free LL with the next DLC, though the rumor was that he'd give vanguard deployment to his army. Either way, he seems really powerful. Maybe they should give little notes about difficulty differences between LLs or make it so that you can't have all of them. Vlad, Mannfred, and Ghorst all at once seems kind of ridiculous.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Still scratching my head as to why they'd be releasing a free LL for VC at the same time as they're releasing another VC LL in a paid DLC, and they both seem stupidly powerful.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

^^^^ because VC totally needed the buffs :P

Deified Data posted:

Is this real?

Looks legit. Apparently CA accidentally posted it on twitter for a moment. We know we're getting Vlad for a fact.

Also, he looks and sounds awesome. So does Ghorst though, drat.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kinda glad to see there's no insane vanguard army. Vlad seems pretty good and balanced now that I read his abilities in detail.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Kinda glad to see there's no insane vanguard army. Vlad seems pretty good and balanced now that I read his abilities in detail.

I believe the vanguard army is a campaign bonus if you pick him as your starting lord, like how Ghorst gives his army (and only his army) poison attacks as one of his campaign bonuses.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
VC already got the blood knights, now 2 more units and 2 more lords.

Where is Krell? I know there's a mod but Kemmler talks about him so much you'd think they were going to add him.

And I wonder if empire troops will still say "where are the flagellants when you need them" if you have flagellants.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dartonus posted:

I believe the vanguard army is a campaign bonus if you pick him as your starting lord, like how Ghorst gives his army (and only his army) poison attacks as one of his campaign bonuses.

Aren't campaign bonuses usually faction-wide? I can't think of any that just apply to the lord you pick. Not saying I think all of VC would get vanguard, but that sort of thing makes a lot more sense as an ability if it only effects his army. Was his vanguard army confirmed anywhere?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
surprised that ring doesn't just remove his wound time completely, so you could lose him and then replace him in another army right after the battle

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

pnutz posted:

surprised that ring doesn't just remove his wound time completely, so you could lose him and then replace him in another army right after the battle

I hope it does that too. Currently, the replacement time is very onerous, so losing a Legendary Lord can be a catastrophe worse than losing the battle sometimes. It would be cool to have Vlad transform into a much more expendable Lord, keeping with his Vampire Wars lore that has him dying a half dozen times in a single campaign

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Aren't campaign bonuses usually faction-wide? I can't think of any that just apply to the lord you pick. Not saying I think all of VC would get vanguard, but that sort of thing makes a lot more sense as an ability if it only effects his army. Was his vanguard army confirmed anywhere?

How Vlad's vanguard army works hasn't been shown yet, outside of the mention that he gets it in the description on the Grim and the Grave trailer (yes he's free but he gets a mention there anyways). In their Rally Point lore video they show selection of the DLC lords and Ghorst's got "all units in Helman Ghorst's army receive poison attacks" as one of his, so I feel like they're probably doing something similar with Vlad. You are correct that the current LLs all have faction-wide boosts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

A few people pointed out that Slayers are actually not bad for their intended role now and I have actually had some good success against cavalry in my current playthrough. I'd personally try dropping one or two ranged units and replacing them with Slayers. Hold them in reserve until the chariots charge and the rush in and pick them off.
They'll still mess up your lines but I don't think you'll find a reasonable way to consistently prevent them from reaching you. I'd love to see Ironbreakers get a buff so they don't get knocked over as much/at all.

I tried them out in custom battle, and even if they'll get savaged by a charge from chariots or knights, these bearded lunatics deal some serious damage to enemy cavalry while they're in contact. I think I'll try out your suggestion by replacing two Ironbreakers with Slayers, and using them as snares against enemy cavalry while the Thunderers gun the flankers down like I did with Miners in the early game. It helps that they're only one turn to recruit now too.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pendent posted:

Here's a video demonstration of how effective Slayers and Gyrobombers can be with a little micro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHT6L574-W8

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I have a question that's not related to cool new vampire stuff: can anyone give any kind of details on how the Fanatics work for night goblin units? Best I can figure, there's a small chance that they'll send out the spinning fanatics at enemies if enemies are close enough, but it doesn't seem to happen 'on cooldown' or anything and seems not to be something you can really rely on to do any kind of consistent extra damage. Do they still send them out if they're in melee combat? I haven't figured it out and documentation in-game is sparse.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm thinking the Ring and Blood Drinker are his quest items, and the ring will just be a reusable health potion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Here's a video demonstration of how effective Slayers and Gyrobombers can be with a little micro:

There's one thing I noticed about PartyElite: how thinly he spreads his melee as Dwarfs. Seeing lines that thin makes me super nervous, but if I can drop two shield units for a pair of Slayers while staying effective, it might just be worth it having a pair of cavalry murderers that can respond quickly to threats.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Kaza42 posted:

I hope it does that too. Currently, the replacement time is very onerous, so losing a Legendary Lord can be a catastrophe worse than losing the battle sometimes.

It's like dota, your hero falls behind in levels and now everyone stomps him. I have personal experience from when I was empire and had several experiences of losing all my armies over the same turn, end times rolled around and I still hadn't made a dent in any of the sylvanian factions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Ok but how do they do against an opponent that isn't a barely functional mouthbreather?

• Locked thread