Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is Knuckles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

The Death egg zone (I swear it has a different name but sure we'll go with thaT) in S3&K is honestly fairly easy, and it has a good sense of motion, at least when I played it last month. The gimmick I mentioned is the one where you just put the controller down and Sonic beep boops around the screen in a light tunnel, which I think is the bad kind of annoying. There's good annoying gimmicks though, I really enjoyed the anti-gravity. I honestly found most of the early Sonics really easy.

The final FINAL zone is called The Doomsday Zone (which is a rad as gently caress name), but that's just a boss fight. Death Egg Zone is the last level, unless you're playing as Knuckles, whose final boss is in Sky Sanctuary.

And while I do agree that the 3-2-1 light tunnel things weren't particularly interactive, you can actually jump over them most of the time and still get through the level. There might be one in Act 2 that leads into a pit if you do that, but I don't remember :v:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I actually liked the gimmicks in Sandopolis Act 2. The ghosts/lights add a sense of tension to the level, and then the deliberately slow things like the moving blocks play off that. In Sandopolis Act 2 going slow will literally kill you--what's more sonic than that?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kulkasha posted:

This. The world of Unleashed just gelled in a way that felt coherent for the first time since the Genesis Era.
The polar opposite of this is Sonic 06, where freakish animal mutants interact with normal humans in an insane semi-fantasy world.

Yeah. The world had funny Pixar-esque humans interacting with the mutant animals instead of super serious, bland anime people. The plot didn't take itself too seriously, but did stop the jokes when needed and Sonic started to get some of his personality back. Unleashed was what got me believing the series had potential again after 06's horror.

Augus posted:

Weirdly enough, Sonic and The Black Knight pretty much has a perfect plot for a Sonic game.

The plot was the first time we got to see Sonic act like his old attitude days in a game before Colors and has a genuinely good villain in Merlina. So despite being pretty bad, I'm softer on it than most.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I actually liked the gimmicks in Sandopolis Act 2. The ghosts/lights add a sense of tension to the level, and then the deliberately slow things like the moving blocks play off that. In Sandopolis Act 2 going slow will literally kill you--what's more sonic than that?

Unless you just jump at the ghosts.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Someone earlier explained the Sonic cast in DBZ terms but today is one of those days where I need someone to explain Sonic to me in WWE terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Someone earlier explained the Sonic cast in DBZ terms but today is one of those days where I need someone to explain Sonic to me in WWE terms.

Who is The New Day of Sonic?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dabir posted:

Unless you just jump at the ghosts.

He's talking about the rising sand

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Unleashed's intro movie was also one of the best in recent memory, right up until the werewolf transformation, but even with that, it got me super hyped to play the game with the initial battle scene and then him going super.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Actually Unleashed's intro was sick up until Sonic started saying words in his awful Jason Griffith voice

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Actually Unleashed's intro was sick up until Sonic started saying words in his awful Jason Griffith voice

Oh god I forgot about the 4Kids voices. It was bad enough they got rid of the Adventure cast (RIP Deem Bristow), but oh my god, Tails, what the gently caress happened!?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I never really minded the voices, tbh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

He's talking about the rising sand

which you can also beat by jumping at the ghosts

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think sonic mania will be good? I don't remember the pc port guy doing that amazing a job of level design with his fan game.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Mikedawson posted:

Who is The New Day of Sonic?

gently caress, I just realized, it's the Chaotix.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Stairmaster posted:

do you think sonic mania will be good? I don't remember the pc port guy doing that amazing a job of level design with his fan game.

This article certainly has nice things to say about Studiopolis at least. The author makes a point about how its gimmicks and features seem to be introduced in a way that seems organic and intended without overstaying their welcome.

I think Jason Griffith properly adapted to Sonic by the time Smash Bros. came out, so Unleashed was fine to me. If nothing else, at least the 4Kids cast gave us Mike Pollock's Eggman.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What, what's wrong with Jason Griffith's Sonic? He has the exact right amount of smarminess in his voice. Roger Craig Smith is totally better, yeah, but Jason ain't bad.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

https://twitter.com/RavenCyarm/status/767570383591518208

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Amppelix posted:

What, what's wrong with Jason Griffith's Sonic? He has the exact right amount of smarminess in his voice. Roger Craig Smith is totally better, yeah, but Jason ain't bad.

jason griffith always sounded way too nice to be sonic. he was too soft, i didnt like it even as he got better

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

Hidden Palace in the IOS version of Sonic 2 is pretty solid and Studiopolis looks really great.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also, keep in mind that he probably has access to more QA and playtesting, and also that people improve as they make more levels.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Amppelix posted:

To be clear, Griffith himself is definitely a decent actor; his Shadow was always on point. But something about his delivery as Sonic early on didn't really jive with me, I think it was something about the inflection on his sentences. IIRC I think 4Kids was also in charge of the localization and voice direction on games like Shadow and '06 as well, so that itself may have been an influencing factor. It might not be a coincidence that I liked Jason's delivery in games like Smash and Unleashed where 4Kids wouldn't have been involved.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

All voice changes are irrelevant as long as we get to keep Pollack as Eggman. Dude clearly loves playing the role and he's even better than Baldry.

Though info still have a sort spot from childhood for Cummings "Always about to cum" rmEobotnik voice.

Pollack is the best thing about the franchise in the last 10 years. His Eggman is the kind of joyously batty super villain you can believe built a superstructure to cover up a mind control Ray. Dude is comitt d as gently caress as has as much fun being Eggman as Eggman has fun being insane.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
To be fair there's never been an outright bad Eggman voice actor. They've always did their best at selling the writing they're given, no matter the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuhnuwFBQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa8DLg1TCE

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I liked sonic unleashed's "GO!!!" and "WOOOoo!!" more than the Sonic Generations' boost clips. He sounds like he's having so much fun in Unleashed :unsmith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't like when sonic or any of the cast talks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just heard a rumor on my way into work that Sonic just got busted for PEDs in Rio. Anyone know if this is true? I'm on the train & can't check right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chili dogs and destructible TVs with shoes on them were banned last i checked.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sonic does no drugs he gets up early every day to make breakfast for his younger siblings and heads off to school.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I liked sonic unleashed's "GO!!!" and "WOOOoo!!" more than the Sonic Generations' boost clips. He sounds like he's having so much fun in Unleashed :unsmith:

that's fair

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

smell this posted:

sonic does no drugs he gets up early every day to make breakfast for his younger siblings and heads off to school.

Sonic is like 25 years old what the h*ck is he still doing at school

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

GUI posted:

He goes too fast to study correctly.
Stop skimming Sonic!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GUI posted:

How is it going fellow kids?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GUI posted:

Sonic was born a teenager and will stay a manchild

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SupSuper posted:

To be fair there's never been an outright bad Eggman voice actor. They've always did their best at selling the writing they're given, no matter the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuhnuwFBQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa8DLg1TCE

It's a shame Long John Baldry died. It would have been magical to see him paired up with Mike Pollock in Generations as classic Robotnik.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is there a widely agreed "worst level" in Sonic Generations?

I mean other than the boss fights.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

planet wisp

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Planet Wisp for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

GUI posted:

Studying for his Master's.