Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

greatn posted:

Ah, well it's Emily Rogers, replying to a rumor about the detachable controllers having motion control.

That's from here by the by.

quote:

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.
LPVG has learned that these controllers are designed to phase out the Wii Remote over time, featuring much of their same functionality. Players with existing Wii Remotes will be able to use them for some multi player titles, but not all releases.
The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

One of the titles which will support both the new NX detachable motion controllers and Wii Remotes for multiplayer is Just Dance 2017.

And verbatim copying the tweets from that Emily Rogers lady:

quote:

1) This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth. https://t.co/4ChXVvqLWd
2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.
3) Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.
4) MCV's report about GameFreak being involved with NX has some truth to it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And since I'm clueless about inch stuff and have no idea how big or small that would be, this is the first video hit I found of a 6.2 inch tablet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2df4y8mHsk

Which is nice. Bigger than that and it would be uncomfortable what with the controllers adding weight/width.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

6.2" screen with decent controls on either side is a pretty loving big device!

The GamePad has a 6.2" screen, and calling something that size a handheld console is maybe a little misleading?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Edmund Honda posted:

The GamePad has a 6.2" screen, and calling something that size a handheld console is maybe a little misleading?

It's probably going to be that size, but with a screen more like the top screen on a 3DS XL, but like higher resolution. They can't really go bigger without risking their massive market share from Japanese commuters.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

greatn posted:

Ah, well it's Emily Rogers, relying to a rumor about the detachable controllers having motion control. She says
A) It's true
B) The screen prototypes were 6.2 inches and 720p with multi touch
C) The prototype base units had two USB ports

yikes!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I for one can't wait to put the NX in my backpack and carry it around with me when I go out on the town

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I for one can't wait to put the NX in my backpack and carry it around with me when I go out on the town

:hf: Portable system in a big-rear end bag bros

Yo remember when the only games that made Play Coins matter even a little (that I played) were Animal Crossing and Shin Megami Tensei? I hope they replace Play Coins with either something cool, or just nothing. I have a gigantic balance of Play Coins on my 3DS menu and like nothing to use them on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Is there any chance it's going to be a flexible display? That would make it a lot more portable.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

This will never fit in my cargo shorts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

acksplode posted:

This will never fit in my cargo shorts

Get bigger Cargo shorts.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd really hate if they went to multitouch, but I guess its whats expected nowadays

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every cool young person has a messenger bag now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

hatty posted:

I'd really hate if they went to multitouch, but I guess its whats expected nowadays

The only thing single touch is better for is specific Nintendo games. And Nintendo can just design games that use multitouch better. It's better for literally every other function.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Edmund Honda posted:

It's the size of a small tablet, or a dumb-huge phone. At long last, mobile/tablet gaming have done something right and opened the gate for Nintendo to push out the perfect huge device.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dexo posted:

Get bigger Cargo shorts.

I'm going to get JNCOs for transporting my NX on the go

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Two USB ports is exactly enough to plug in my patented Gamecube to USB controller port adapter and Rumble Pak Support Function. Smash on, my friends.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

acksplode posted:

I'm going to get JNCOs for transporting my NX on the go

JNCOs were the poo poo in the 90s. I've got a Jolt Cola in one pocket and like absolutely all the crap I need to play Dungeons and Dragons in the other pocket. I'm in middle school, and I'm basically the worst v:v:v

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motion controls making me upset

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The gyro controls on the WiiU for Splatoon were actually really good and the closest a console shooter has ever come to feeling like a PC mouse & keyboard game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reiley posted:

The gyro controls on the WiiU for Splatoon were actually really good and the closest a console shooter has ever come to feeling like a PC mouse & keyboard game.

Gyro aiming good wii mote gameboy edition not doing it for me

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
lol if you didn't get the star messenger bag from club nintendo (tm) before it shut down

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Raserys posted:

lol if you didn't get the star messenger bag from club nintendo (tm) before it shut down

it's a shame they dont have a customer loyalty rewards program anymore. I liked getting free games

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I wouldn't mind a bigger device, but I'm also not playing it anywhere other than my home. Something the size of the Wii U gamepad would be perfect, just make the screen larger.

I also wouldn't care if motion controls and force feedback were dropped completely, but that's never happening.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Quick. Everyone tell us what you can fit in your jeans pockets.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Gyro aiming good wii mote gameboy edition not doing it for me

Is that what they meant?? <jonathan joestar voice> oh noooo

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Reiley posted:

Is that what they meant?? <jonathan joestar voice> oh noooo

(joseph)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

gently caress

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
A gaming device can be portable without necessarily being a pocket-sized "on-the-go" type of thing. Most of my "portable" (i.e. 3DS or Vita) gaming takes place during lunch breaks at work, or at home away from the main TV. My pants don't factor into either one of those settings. Being truly pocket-sized would be a nice bonus of course, but it wouldn't affect my personal usage patterns much.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Gyro aiming is good. It just needs devs who know what the gently caress they're doing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The only truly pocket-sized portable gaming console was the GBA SP, anything larger needs a backpack or bag or jacket or cargo shorts or sweat pants or big jeans

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PSP go was smaller than first gen iPhones

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Also that then I guess. Also the gameboy micro okay jesus

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Raserys posted:

i take my pikmin tote bag everywhere. the grocery store, the beach, etc.m

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

That's from here by the by.

And verbatim copying the tweets from that Emily Rogers lady:
emily rogers also said mother 3 was a sure thing

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

emily rogers also said mother 3 was a sure thing

She hasn't been proven wrong on that yet, it's still 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

katkillad2 posted:

I also wouldn't care if motion controls and force feedback were dropped completely, but that's never happening.

I don't mind FF, but about 95% of the time motion controls can gently caress right off. The only Wii game with motion controls that I ever liked, including Galaxy, was the boxing game that came with the early Wii consoles, and even that hosed up 30% of the time.

On the hand, I 100% agree that they are going to force motion controls on us whether we like them or not. I genuinely don't mean to be melodramatic, but that might make not by an NX because that's what I found exhausting about the original Wii. The Wii U, despite being a commercial flop, I love.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every major video game console and handheld except the new Xbox one has motion controls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Every major video game console and handheld except the new Xbox one has motion controls.

If only the Bone had won the console war we would no longer be subjugated to the horrors of motion controls. Fie, I say, fie!

I'm more confused about the GameFreak mention. How is it any surprise that the Pokemon people are working on a game for the NX?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2016

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Did anyone else notice the bit in the most recent patent where they open up the possibility of selling you controller components which have a use-by date built in?

quote:

Some examples of using the additional information 73b of the operation instrument 7 will be described below. For example, information for the year, month, date and time concerning the expiration time of the operation instrument 7 may be stored as the additional information 73b. The information reading unit 31 of the game machine reads the expiration information stored as the additional information 73b from the operation instrument 7 attached to the attachment unit 4. The game processing unit 32 determines whether or not the year, month, date and time at the current time point is on or before the expiration time. If expired, the game processing unit 32 would not accept operation performed for the operation instrument 7 and would not perform game processing concerning the operation instrument 7. As for the expiration time, various setting may be possible such as date/time at which the use of operation instrument 7 is started, date/time at which the use is stopped, a usable period or the like.

"Oops, your D-pad is six months old. Better buy a new one!"

... I don't imagine that's something they'll actually do, but it's a slightly worrying thing to see in a patent regardless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The_White_Crane posted:

Did anyone else notice the bit in the most recent patent where they open up the possibility of selling you controller components which have a use-by date built in?

"Oops, your D-pad is six months old. Better buy a new one!"

... I don't imagine that's something they'll actually do, but it's a slightly worrying thing to see in a patent regardless...

Reads like parents control/child lock

• Locked thread