Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well, as a yosposter, I would find it hysterically funny and be grateful for the distraction.

frequent it caller rabbi bob had very strong opnions on the bereavement button. back then, poorly trained as i was, didnt even know what bereavement was until he gave me a 60 minute (billable) lecture on it on the helpdesk line, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good lord

I mean I'm not surprised I talked to an athenahealth recruiter once and he started talking about php and that's when I knew I was never talking to him again

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

and yet we are far and away the front runner in our market and have been for years. just imagine what a trashheap the comptetition is. jk, you dont have to, when i was helpdesk monkey i supported all of them. they bad.

cerner's hospice module still uses the controls from windows 3.1, and the button to launch the bereavement worklist is a giant crying eyeball drawn in an art deco style, lol. imagine when u see ur grief counselor clicking that poo poo.

joke's on you, even after more than a year on prozac and a bunch of therapy i still can't cry

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

frequent it caller rabbi bob had very strong opnions on the bereavement button. back then, poorly trained as i was, didnt even know what bereavement was until he gave me a 60 minute (billable) lecture on it on the helpdesk line, lol.

Bloody posted:

good lord

I mean I'm not surprised I talked to an athenahealth recruiter once and he started talking about php and that's when I knew I was never talking to him again

sorry you both had to listen to lectures on bereavement

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

anthonypants posted:

yeah but what's the / directory called

:Macintosh HD:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my doctor uses allscripts and it is the biggest pile of garbage

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

reading some old code and found this beginning of a function call to printf

code:
printf("%f\t%f\t%f\t%f\t<-\t%f\t%f\t(%f\t%f)\t%f\t%f\t->\t%f\n",

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol one of our :spergin: senior devs just up and left (literally picked up his keyboard and walked out) because he wants to move to Germany and HR wouldn't let him work from, uh, home

when they disabled his user account on the build server it broke everything for 3 days because it was his fiefdom and everything just ran out of his home directory

so they turned it back on with a different password and went through his .bashrc to figure out how his scripts work because it was never written down anywhere

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it's almost like companies get the employees they deserve, and vice versa

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cerner's hospice module still uses the controls from windows 3.1, and the button to launch the bereavement worklist is a giant crying eyeball drawn in an art deco style, lol. imagine when u see ur grief counselor clicking that poo poo.

that is loving outrageous

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol basically everything our dba that got shitcanned was doing was undocumented and running off personal accounts

like they were logged in with their personal gmail on thier testing tablets even

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

my doctor uses allscripts and it is the biggest pile of garbage

omg, i repressed the memory of that poo poo lol

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the more the regulations on a piece of software, the less money will be spent making it not be dogshit to look at or use. imo gov't should subsidize

so loving future posted:

it's almost like companies get the employees they deserve, and vice versa

"deserve" is an empty concept

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dunno but it integrates with healthkit which is p nice. touchid is still "new" in the grand scheme of things release cycles are longer in the enterprise world. they just added push notifications to the android app last release after i opened the project for it 3 years ago.

also almost everything it does is customer configurable so we might very well have it and your provider disables it, i'm not super wired into the authentication side of things. if the stylesheet or theme looks real lovely or there's this weird-looking lovely app embedded inside the main app, chances are your provider decided to do something in-house.something like 40% of the negative reviews on the app store are about customer-developed add-ins or customers disabling features weve had for years, lol.

every time u mychart ur browser or phone is talking to a genuine mumps server at your doctor's data center :v:

yeah the iphone app doesn't give us notifications but i assume that's because our ~health network~ hasn't implemented it or whatever. it's very cool to be able to add appointments directly to my calendar, even if i have to manually add the address, which i assume is also our ~health network~'s fault for setting the location to "8th floor" instead of, you know, the place i need to drive to

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

"deserve" is an empty concept

deserve not in some cosmic karmic sense, instead 'we set the stage for X and then X happened!'

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

can someone tell me why style attributes are deprecated?
they seem p useful imo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They don't preserve separation of content and presentation! :supaburn:

As if both aren't being generated by your code anyway.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

HoboMan posted:

they seem p useful imo

they aren't when building HTML emails

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

HoboMan posted:

they seem p useful imo

where did you read they were deprecated

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

HoboMan posted:

they seem p useful imo

because it's nice to have all the rules defining an element's style in a specific place instead of sprinkling them throughout your HTML.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

they're not deprecated, they will continue to be in HTML - but people will laugh at you if you use them

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

some editor i was using over a year ago kept giving me warnings that style attributes were deprecated in HTML5/CSS3

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Prolog is fun

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

java's a lot of fun too right up until you get to the arcane requirements for documenting it that are seen only in first year courses oh god just end it all now

programming is seriously a shitton of fun why do they keep stirring raisins into my chocolate chips

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i've been looking into building an android wrapper for a web game i've built and i'd just like to formally apologize to xcode for everything bad i've ever said about it

setting up xcode's certificate system and getting things integrated with the apple developer stuff was a bit dicey but NOTHING compared to the loving nightmare that is this IDE, holy poo poo

my favorite part is that it can't handle scrolling text on osx

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

for the first time in my life my object class inheritance has worked well and a bunch of features of one app translated right into another

that doesn't excuse the last 6 years of poo poo piss code, but don't tell anyone

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

some editor i was using over a year ago kept giving me warnings that style attributes were deprecated in HTML5/CSS3

that holds as much weight as all the tags over which i typed "DEPRECATED" in the comments. some fucker is still gonna call them 20 years from now and i can never delete them for that reason.

jokes on him, they all return false now.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

java's a lot of fun too right up until you get to the arcane requirements for documenting it that are seen only in first year courses oh god just end it all now

programming is seriously a shitton of fun why do they keep stirring raisins into my chocolate chips

there aren't really any arcane requirements for documenting it

you don't HAVE to javadoc every method, argument, return value, and exception.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

there sure are in this beginner course for idiots

i feel bad for the ta who has to pretend to read this stuff

seriously though eclipse is wonderful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't recall ever having a problem w/ Javadoc. eclipse autogens the basic structure for you and then you complete it.

also lol @ windows autocompleting the J in Javadoc to uppercase

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

java

quote:

first year course

sounds like your prof is a p big fail, op

java is a good language. but it is not a good teaching language.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
documentation in intro cs classes are to show what your intent was and how you think it works as compared to the actual results.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is a fine teaching language but I would try to abstract away some of the OO stuff at the start.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
learn you a version control system

this poo poo is never taught in college but it's something you really can't learn too early in programming life

i recommend learning mercurial because it's basically the same thing as git (which is what everybody uses) but unlike git its command line tools actually make sense

any time you spend more than a few hours or two writing a code you should put it in a repo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
git is trash for trash people

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr Dog posted:

sounds like your prof is a p big fail, op

java is a good language. but it is not a good teaching language.

first semester of freshman year, we took an "intro to programming for engineers" course, which was half matlab and half c. you have never seen something as awful as watching someone who has never tried to program before learn off of matlab and c, and needless to say the only people who got reasonable grades in that class were people who already knew how to program

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

learn you a version control system

this poo poo is never taught in college but it's something you really can't learn too early in programming life

i recommend learning mercurial because it's basically the same thing as git (which is what everybody uses) but unlike git its command line tools actually make sense

any time you spend more than a few hours or two writing a code you should put it in a repo

good call definitely learn the thing that's sorta like the thing that everyone uses :cool:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven would be rad as hell for intro to programming classes cause you could have the students start from an archetype for each assignment and then have them fill in the rest. you can provide them with tests too so they can immediately know if their code works.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

git is trash for trash people

it's what i use!

(for personal stuff. my work has tfs set up already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

we use SVN at work :shobon:

• Locked thread