Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I need a recipe that uses up a lot of fresh blueberries. I have something like 3 pounds of them and there's not much chance that I'll shove enough of them down my face before they go bad.

Put on baking sheet that fits in freezer. Put in freezer until frozen. Put into freezer bag. Freeze until you can use them.

If I had a bunch of blueberries I would try this recipe. But also freeze them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I need some food safety barbecuing/grilling advice...

I am going camping (car and tent, not hiking outdoorsman) and I need some ideas for barbecuable meats that can be stored without a refrigerator but be safe for two days. Leaving on Saturday morning, barbecuing Sunday evening.

Buying fresh things on the Saturday is an option, but I won't be able to do any prep to preserve the meat. Buying things on Sunday is almost certainly not an option (Sunday opening combined with wholesome activities mean we will probably not coincide with an open shop).

My current thinking is that I could cover some meat in some sort of flavourful oil marinade, and the oil would prevent any spoilage, but I instinctively feel that this won't work. Any ideas?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Could you buy a camping cooler? They can keep meat chilled for a couple of days, and then you can bring whatever meat you like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

Could you buy a camping cooler? They can keep meat chilled for a couple of days, and then you can bring whatever meat you like.

Durr, I totally could do that. I'm a moron.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Fill a couple empty milk gallons or other beverage container with water and freeze those. Put them in your cooler and they'll keep everything cold for a couple days, much longer than bagged ice would.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^ Yeah, you can keep meat almost as long as you can in a fridge if you do that.

Scientastic posted:

Bacon. Just bring something to keep the grease in.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

defectivemonkey posted:

Put on baking sheet that fits in freezer. Put in freezer until frozen. Put into freezer bag. Freeze until you can use them.

If I had a bunch of blueberries I would try this recipe. But also freeze them!

I can vouch for this recipe for Frozen Blueberry Pie. But I'd rather have your blueberry breakfast cake right about now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Fill a couple empty milk gallons or other beverage container with water and freeze those. Put them in your cooler and they'll keep everything cold for a couple days, much longer than bagged ice would.

Or some dry ice, if you don't want to have your cooler filled with a ton of ice

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Scientastic posted:

I need some food safety barbecuing/grilling advice...

I am going camping (car and tent, not hiking outdoorsman) and I need some ideas for barbecuable meats that can be stored without a refrigerator but be safe for two days. Leaving on Saturday morning, barbecuing Sunday evening.

Buying fresh things on the Saturday is an option, but I won't be able to do any prep to preserve the meat. Buying things on Sunday is almost certainly not an option (Sunday opening combined with wholesome activities mean we will probably not coincide with an open shop).

My current thinking is that I could cover some meat in some sort of flavourful oil marinade, and the oil would prevent any spoilage, but I instinctively feel that this won't work. Any ideas?

Pro-tip: sous vide and pasteurize some steaks ahead of time so that you don't have to be overly concerned with keeping them super cool and can just sear them when you're ready to eat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Pro-tip: sous vide and pasteurize some steaks ahead of time so that you don't have to be overly concerned with keeping them super cool and can just sear them when you're ready to eat.

Holy poo poo, we never did THAT in the Boy Scouts. Great idea!

Then again, the focus on food on campouts was always Keep It Simple, since most of the younger scouts had never cooked before.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Or some dry ice, if you don't want to have your cooler filled with a ton of ice

I would not suggest putting dry ice in a sealed cooler for 48 hours. Two frozen Simply Orange juice bottles don't take up much room and run zero risk of pressurizing your cooler into a small explosive device.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lawnie posted:

Just roast them if you don't want to use oil.

Yes roast. All you need is salt for most things to be good roasted. Lemon juice or vinegar is good too. I assume this is calorie cutting, acids won't add much.

I've also found that steamed vegetables are not what I remember them being once I started steaming them myself and not cooking them all to hell. You might want to give them a shot again if you haven't had it that way since you were a kid, your parents probably overcooked vegetables a lot.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes roast. All you need is salt for most things to be good roasted. Lemon juice or vinegar is good too. I assume this is calorie cutting, acids won't add much.

I've also found that steamed vegetables are not what I remember them being once I started steaming them myself and not cooking them all to hell. You might want to give them a shot again if you haven't had it that way since you were a kid, your parents probably overcooked vegetables a lot.

Steamed veggies are seriously delicious and unless you have rickets, the vitamin loss is totally negligible. Take a supplement if you're concerned about it, but it's very difficult not to get adequate vitamins from food if your diet is balanced and full of fresh things, no matter how they're prepared. Just don't steam your veggies until they're mush, and remove them from the steamer ASAP once they're barely fork tender.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawnie posted:

I would not suggest putting dry ice in a sealed cooler for 48 hours. Two frozen Simply Orange juice bottles don't take up much room and run zero risk of pressurizing your cooler into a small explosive device.

As if you're not going to open it for 48 hours :bahgawd:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

As someone who looks at hosed up aircraft engines for a living, I'll admit I'm hyper-conservative when it comes to things like this. I'll maintain that even 8 hours overnight while you're sleeping sounds like a recipe for potential trouble :colbert:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

You also would only need a small amount of dry ice, no? Otherwise, wouldn't you end up freezing everything inside the cooler?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Unless you glue the cooler shut won't the lid just pop open? Why would it explode?

edit: if your cooler has locking latches leave those open

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Unless you glue the cooler shut won't the lid just pop open? Why would it explode?

I can think of at least one way the cooler gets stuck shut depending on the seal design but like I said, I'm a conservative baby when it comes to failure modes and effects analysis in everyday life.

I'm de-railing at this point, but why go through the hassle of acquiring dry ice from a grocery store or local Praxair distributor if you can use frozen water from your kitchen sink?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Chemmy posted:

From my experience with fermenting pineapple in tupperware: depending on how well-fitted the lid of a container is even if it doesn't explode it is still easy to create an unstable pressurized cannon ready to be lightly jostled and fire a lid directly into your face.

Besides that I don't think you'd want to have to deal with constantly having to check your cooler to close it every time the lid pops open.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Holy poo poo this is the worst derail and I hope you all don't walk over manholes ever because of that massive risk. You can get dried ice at most creameries too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can someone tell me what tri-tip would be in teh UK? I see photos and it looks really nice but i've gently caress all idea what it might be sold as here

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tritip in the US:

Huh, hard to nail down where it would be in the UK.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/tri-tip-300572

quote:

Gary Soup Jul 19, 2005 08:41 PM

According to the Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards, tri-tip's UPC number is 1429 and tri-tip's IMPS/NAMP code is 185C. (I can just hear your butcher saying "I got yer NAMP Code 185c hright here, buddy!")

I didn't make that up, honest. It's sometimes called a triangle roast, or sirloin tip roast.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
guess i'll just email a butcher both images and see what they say

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Lawnie posted:

I can think of at least one way the cooler gets stuck shut depending on the seal design but like I said, I'm a conservative baby when it comes to failure modes and effects analysis in everyday life.

I'm de-railing at this point, but why go through the hassle of acquiring dry ice from a grocery store or local Praxair distributor if you can use frozen water from your kitchen sink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So4ZrzBkJsA

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
A friend gave us a bunch of fresh vegetables from her garden, including a couple tomatoes, but neither of us like raw tomatoes. Recipes with cooked ones are fine, or raw in circumstances where it's not the primary flavor. Any suggestions? I'm thinking salsa but I'm interested in other ideas.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Bonk posted:

A friend gave us a bunch of fresh vegetables from her garden, including a couple tomatoes, but neither of us like raw tomatoes. Recipes with cooked ones are fine, or raw in circumstances where it's not the primary flavor. Any suggestions? I'm thinking salsa but I'm interested in other ideas.

Bruschetta maybe? Just grab some good bread and some fresh basil and garlic.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Is there anything I need to watch out for when cooking sushi rice in a basic two setting Tiger rice cooker? I usually cook jasmine rice in it but I'm assuming short grain rice needs a different amount of water.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can I just chuck corn in its husk straight on the barbecue and leave it to cook? Normally I'd husk it first, but my wife reckons you can just throw it on as is. I think this will result in fire...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
yes, you can as long as the husks haven't dried out. They may catch fire somewhat on the grill later on as they near being finished, but don't worry about it too much (obviously don't let it burn up completely)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Can I just chuck corn in its husk straight on the barbecue and leave it to cook? Normally I'd husk it first, but my wife reckons you can just throw it on as is. I think this will result in fire...

It helps if you soak them first (both for fire prevention and steaming the kernels) but yeah, chuck them right in the coals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dis astranagant posted:

It helps if you soak them first (both for fire prevention and steaming the kernels) but yeah, chuck them right in the coals.

Yeah, this works, def recommend soaking them a bit 1st if for no other reason than making them easier to work with once done cooking, less burned crap to take off the cob etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The husk turning black is fine. Usually when I take them off they look like pieces of charcoal but are perfectly cooked inside. Soaking is optional in my experience.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

The husk turning black is fine. Usually when I take them off they look like pieces of charcoal but are perfectly cooked inside. Soaking is optional in my experience.

Yeah it works either way just without soaking the likelihood of having to brush off more blackened bits of stuff getting onto the corn underneath after you husk them can (sometimes) be a pain. It's not a huge deal tho.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Every time I try to sear meat in anticipation of broiling, braising, or otherwise cooking it, it ends up smoking, even when I use a decent amount of oil (not olive oil or any low smoke point oil like that). Am I messing something up? How do I avoid setting the fire alarms off when trying to sear meat?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Every time I try to sear meat in anticipation of broiling, braising, or otherwise cooking it, it ends up smoking, even when I use a decent amount of oil (not olive oil or any low smoke point oil like that). Am I messing something up? How do I avoid setting the fire alarms off when trying to sear meat?

How much smoke are we talking about? Turning on the fan in the range hood usually solves my smoke problems. Opening a window nearby helps.

Not so whenever my parents come over and my mom decides to cook. Her searing meat requires more active smoke management and even taking the batteries off the smoke alarm for a while.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there an upper limit to how long you can soak beans?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

rgocs posted:

How much smoke are we talking about? Turning on the fan in the range hood usually solves my smoke problems. Opening a window nearby helps.

Not so whenever my parents come over and my mom decides to cook. Her searing meat requires more active smoke management and even taking the batteries off the smoke alarm for a while.

It's also dependent on your smoke alarm placement, I had to move one because it would go off every time you cooked, like even when there was so little smoke that it was not visible the alarm would start going off. I'm guessing it's because this building is old and smoke alarm placement was designed around older, lower sensitivity alarms.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I use to always get my pans way too hot when trying to sear on "high" heat, which would create a lot of smoke.

Try keeping the pan temperature lower. There's a place between medium heat and a smoking mess where you still get a very aggressive sizzle and good browning.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought I was supposed to sear meat on the highest heat possible. :pwn: Explains a lot if I'm supposed to be using a lower heat, though. The cast iron pan idea sounds good, too. I should broil steaks again, but those always got really smoky when I tried to sear them first :(

I'm thinking of what vegetables I can cook alongside short ribs and oxtail in a slow cooker. Right now carrots and celery are obvious choices, though I'm wondering if broccoli will also stand up to slow cooking. Or maybe I should figure out a quick sauteed dish for eating with yu choy or something, I've got a lot of that left over...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think there are certainly times where nuclear levels of heat are used, but you're not going to be able to avoid smoking the place up like crazy unless you have a vent hood, or are doing it outside. And you really don't need to smoke the place up just to brown something for braising.