Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Well, at least the hail damage wasn't fixed yet! :buddy:

If it's anything like the hailchasers who hosed up my car it's better off with the scrapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Galler posted:

Quick run through newegg without cross shopping amazon to get something similar:

code:
Z170A Krait Gaming 3 Configurator [Edit]
Configurator Bundles
1 × MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130920
1 × G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform ...
Item #: N82E16820231888
1x $209.98

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
1x $429.99	

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM
1x $88.48

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop ...
1x $157.49

CORSAIR RMi Series RM650i 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply ...
1x $119.99
	$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

Rosewill Computer Case - CHALLENGER - ATX Mid Tower - Black, Gaming - Three Included Fans - Two Extra Side Fans Supported
$49.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
1x $29.99

Subtotal: $1,305.9 (doesn't include rebates)
Unlocked i5 will be at worse the same (for games) and at best (overclocked) a fair bit faster than that locked i7. Double the RAM and SSD (plus a faster SSD and probably better longevity/quality) and quadruple the HDD space. The parts are all quality stuff instead of just whatever ibuypower could get cheapest (power supply especially, never cheap out on the power supply.) 3 year warranty on everything (10 year on the power supply) instead of 1 year from ibuypower.

Doesn't come with Windows though so add $100 or whatever it costs these days if you don't have a spare key or old computer to take one from.

Personally I would go for at least a 500GB SSD if not a 1TB (I actually bought 2x 1TB because I'm a huge nerd that want's all my games, applications, and VMs on SSDs) and probably 2 HDDs in a mirror if I was putting anything vaguely important on them.

thanks. I ran all sorts of configurations through pcpartspicker.com and couldn't get anywhere near their price for the ibuypower one.

I don't know. I might end up building one but everything I put together ends up being 1500 bucks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Many thanks to forums poster Goober Peas aka -Chris for your insightful thoughts.

Today I got up at 4:30 to put a Boston butt on the smoker and it's deep in the stall. Likely will need to foil it and shove it in the oven when I get home. A 14 hour cook at 225 just doesn't bring it to temp sometimes. :sigh:

That's what happens when I'm reading SA and doing work at the same time :bang:

Guess which emote I tried to use in the email my name should have appeared on

:eng99:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

Well, at least the hail damage wasn't fixed yet! :buddy:

Some people would consider that a modification :cheeky:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Goober Peas posted:

Some people would consider that a modification :cheeky:

Brotruck bullbar

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($145.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1516.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 17:54 EDT-0400

This is a little bit more expensive, in that $1,500 range, but it would be so much better in almost every way.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
lol lets spend 1500 on a pc *fires up £300 ps4 drives away in £500 car*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Shoutout to the mud farmer who lopped my cables in half with his back hoe.

But look at how far you've come in a year. There was a time where you would have KILLED to be in the place you are now.

Do some fusing make some money. :D

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

meatpimp posted:

But look at how far you've come in a year. There was a time where you would have KILLED to be in the place you are now.

Do some fusing make some money. :D

Oh I know. Fridays are usually half days and I was on my way home when I got the call. All good now. Time to drank.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

Every expenditure made in my life is measured against how rad I could make my shitbox :buddy:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Shoutout to the mud farmer who lopped my cables in half with his back hoe.

No fiber, but we cut a sizable telephone cable today serving part of a (small municipal) airport, and very nearly got an 8" water main. Almost took the trencher for this job, luckily it was already spoken for because that would have busted it for sure.

Ok to dig, nothing in the way they said!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fridge corn posted:

Please don't quote me unsourced.tia

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

when a $15 used PC can provide as much enjoyment as a $1500 new one, you'll have a point.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

angryrobots posted:

No fiber, but we cut a sizable telephone cable today serving part of a (small municipal) airport, and very nearly got an 8" water main. Almost took the trencher for this job, luckily it was already spoken for because that would have busted it for sure.

Ok to dig, nothing in the way they said!

NOTHING on this earth locates services quite as accurately as a powered auger...

Worse is when your co-worker is doing core sampling, hits resistance with the push tube unusually shallow and then decides to hoe into it with the 4" rock auger. Straight through the concrete cap in directly into the 6" Natural Gas high pressure distribution main. That was entertaining!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

The *only* reason I'm even entertaining the idea is to get an Oculus Rift for flight sim and cool rear end movie experiences. I know being an early adopter is going to be expensive and somewhere around a $2,000 outlay (all things considered) for what little use I expect to get out of it. And $2000 bucks gets me, oh, 19 or so actual flight hours.

But somewhere in the hops, barley, and nicotine tainted recesses of my brain I have convinced myself I need want this. Sure, I could wait a year and get the same stuff (or better) for half the price but gently caress it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

The *only* reason I'm even entertaining the idea is to get an Oculus Rift for flight sim and cool rear end movie experiences. I know being an early adopter is going to be expensive and somewhere around a $2,000 outlay (all things considered) for what little use I expect to get out of it. And $2000 bucks gets me, oh, 19 or so actual flight hours.

But somewhere in the hops, barley, and nicotine tainted recesses of my brain I have convinced myself I need want this. Sure, I could wait a year and get the same stuff (or better) for half the price but gently caress it.

There are better ways of filing the empty holes in your life have ypu considered practicing martial arts for instance

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a Krav Maga loving master.

COME AT ME BRO.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

There are better ways of filing the empty holes in your life have ypu considered practicing martial arts for instance

Tide posted:

I'm a Krav Maga loving master.

COME AT ME BRO.

:owned:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I have black belts in two different forms of martial arts

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Working for someone other than myself these days is weird. I'm contracting 20 hrs/week for my new employer and will be going full time next month once they get a scheduled cash infusion (unless I gently caress up). Going to an office at an arbitrary time and leaving at an arbitrary time is strange. I'm used to being paid to accomplish a task, working really hard to get my work done and then taking the rest of the week off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

Thanks for answering a question nobody asked. Then again, that's most of your posts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Thanks for answering a question nobody asked. Then again, that's most of your posts.

Lol should I post the "owned" emote?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

Yeah well I have a black belt in macrame BEAT THAT

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So here's a pretty cool bit of on-track data acquisition...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyvyUthHIc

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a black belt in miatajitsu, I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of this

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

You guys just need to gently caress in a seedy motel and get it over with. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

So here's a pretty cool bit of on-track data acquisition...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyvyUthHIc

That's rad, wonder his setup is

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

You guys just need to gently caress in a seedy motel and get it over with. :v:

You know, I've had a history of riding posters... TT and SAC in recent memory, but it came from a place where I was frustrated with them and wanted them to be better people. And they absolutely have become better people, and posters. corn is different, he's just a dick that adds nothing but finger-poking trolls where they're unecessary and rude. He's not going to become a better poster, he's just a dick that thinks he's the poo poo, but then posts sadbrains cry posts what show that he's as bad at life as he is at posting.

In other news, I made a mistake today. I thought my dog had mellowed and decided to show him a bunny nest in my back yard. Yes, there was bunny in the air. Yes, my dog's body count went from "unknown" (because he's a rescue) to "yes." :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I took karate when I was a kid and one of the other kids in the class tripped me and everyone laughed so I picked up one of the break boards the advanced classes used and I cracked him across the back of his skull with it and then I got kicked out of the class.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I like watching Kung Pow Enter the First.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I loke watching Kung Pow Enter the First.

I take back what I just said about you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

You know, I've had a history of riding posters... TT and SAC in recent memory, but it came from a place where I was frustrated with them and wanted them to be better people. And they absolutely have become better people, and posters. corn is different, he's just a dick that adds nothing but finger-poking trolls where they're unecessary and rude. He's not going to become a better poster, he's just a dick that thinks he's the poo poo, but then posts sadbrains cry posts what show that he's as bad at life as he is at posting.

In other news, I made a mistake today. I thought my dog had mellowed and decided to show him a bunny nest in my back yard. Yes, there was bunny in the air. Yes, my dog's body count went from "unknown" (because he's a rescue) to "yes." :smith:

Link my sadbrains posts please!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

Link my sadbrains posts please!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778319&userid=183465#post460651793

Hey random internet strangers, I had a medical procedure and I don't have anyone in my life to share my anxiety relief with, so I'll post it on a random automotive subforum. :thumbsup:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778319&userid=183465#post460651793

Hey random internet strangers, I had a medical procedure and I don't have anyone in my life to share my anxiety relief with, so I'll post it on a random automotive subforum. :thumbsup:

Here have this step stool it might help with your reach lololol

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey corn did you already reinforce the rear subframe in your M3 because if not that LS is gonna rip it to shreds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

meatpimp posted:

Hipster beards are the absolute loving worst. I called it way back, and it's quickly reaching the point where the trend turns and everyone realizes they look ridiculous. Good riddance, in advance.

Good, then my usual beard and flannel can go back to getting me called a redneck and not people asking my opinion on artisanal coffee and being startled when I comment that so long as it is hot and black I give no fucks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

meatpimp why are you being so rude

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wrar posted:

Hey corn did you already reinforce the rear subframe in your M3 because if not that LS is gonna rip it to shreds.

Im not ash with a 5 I don't have an M3!!!!!!!!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Im not ash with a 5 I don't have an M3!!!!!!!!

Sorry dude :( been a long week, I'm hella tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
corn do you have an aston martin

• Locked thread