Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

im gaye posted:

I'm looking for grandiose, sweeping movies that despite a pretty great production value can't escape being glorified B-movies. The best examples I can think of is stuff like Lifeforce and Krull.

Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Thing, The Phantom, Rocketeer, Silverado

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any other directors out there like Tarantino, the Coen brothers or David Mamet whose work is consistently "stylistic", with interesting plots and sharp dialogue? I'm struggling to articulate exactly what I mean, but hopefully the examples get the point across.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oceanside posted:

Are there any other directors out there like Tarantino, the Coen brothers or David Mamet whose work is consistently "stylistic", with interesting plots and sharp dialogue? I'm struggling to articulate exactly what I mean, but hopefully the examples get the point across.

Neil LaBute, Mike Nichols, Billy Wilder.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

oceanside posted:

Shane Black, to some extent.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Could I get a recommendation for a movie similar in aesthetic and action-style to Bunraku? I seriously loved the movie, and think it's an excellent movie, in style and substance.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

oceanside posted:

Fincher?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

oceanside posted:

I feel like Wes Anderson is kind of an obvious choice, but he hasn't been mentioned yet. Rian Johnson seemed like he was going in that direction, but his body of work is rather small and he's already become a blockbuster type of director. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some more stuff as interesting as Brick on his resume as his career progresses. Nicolas Winding Refn has a definite visual style, although maybe lacks a characteristic dialogue style, unless you consider the lack of it a thing. An oddball choice would be Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who definitely have a sort of frenetic dialogue approach. They are kind of like Rian Johnson though, in that they've already kind of become big time guys. Both them and Johnson are heading up future Star Wars entries.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

oceanside posted:

Definitely Shane Black, and also Martin McDonagh, who wrote and directed the excellent In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. McDonagh is a playwright like Mamet, and his dialogue and plots (at least in those two) are really clever.

I'd also have to add David Lynch to the list. His dialogue is more stilted and less snappy and clever than most of the other names, but his movies and TV work are incredibly stylistic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
John Woo is extremely visually stylistic (even discounting the doves), and so is Sam Raimi.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

For anyone else interested in this kind of film/director, I'd give Monte Hellman's films from the 1960s and 1970s a try as well. I've been watching them over the past week and they definitely have the same marks that I was looking for.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

I'm looking for a movie that's a puzzle with some of the pieces missing. I recently watched "This House Has People In It" (and a chunk of its huge pseudo-ARG auxiliaries), and it gives the distinct impression that there's some kind of overarching secret that drives the various weird occurrences, but refuses to outright give us the key we need to unlock it. Especially with its motif of missing letters in signs and documents, which when put together, don't spell out anything at all. I want more stuff that plays with that kind of theme.

A lot of David Lynch's films might also make good examples.

Primer / Upstream Color might be up that particular alley, someone mentioned Cache, I'd say add to that Intacto (how does he survive the plane crash?)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

oceanside posted:

I'm a big fan of David Fincher, whose works tend to have muted colors, somber moments of quiet and are always visually distinct. He had a few flashy moments in Fight Club, Panic Room and The Game but since then he's gone a bit in the other direction, mostly doing character pieces (Social Network.) The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is great, as is Gone Girl, but they're mostly about letting the source material tell the story and he has little to do but stay out of the way of the great narratives.

Tom Tykwer's films always have a distinct flair to them - Run Lola Run is probably his best at this. But he's had a good run of films, not the least of which was his collaboration with the Wachowskis Cloud Atlas. Also worth watching : Heaven, 3, Perfume : A Story Of A Murder and The International.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can I get some medieval/fantasy recommends?

These are the ones I've already watched and liked:
Harry Potter
Kingdom of Heaven DC
Excalibur
The Princess Bride
Krull
Gladiator

Did not like: LOTR/The Hobbit

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Scent of Worf posted:

Harry Potter
Kingdom of Heaven DC
Excalibur
The Princess Bride
Krull
Gladiator

Willow
Stardust
The Dark Crystal

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Scent of Worf posted:

Harry Potter
Kingdom of Heaven DC
Excalibur
The Princess Bride
Krull
Gladiator

Honing in on the 80's vibe I get from your list, check out Flesh and Blood, Ladyhawke, Dragonslayer, and The Name of the Rose.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Good poo poo thank you

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Game of Thrones too obvious a suggestion? It's awesome, and even people who aren't into fantasy at all agree.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Age of Uprising is a beautifully-shot, slow-moving film set in medieval France and starring Mads Mikkelsen. It's the opposite of high-medieval fantasy though.

Ironclad is great when you just want to see James Purefoy hacking dudes apart. Is it a good film? Ehhhh, that's for you to decide.

Valhalla Rising is trippy Viking sort-of fantasy. Weird and dark but very cool. Also stars Mads Mikkelsen.

Lastly, there's Braveheart if you haven't seen it already.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Game of Thrones too obvious a suggestion? It's awesome, and even people who aren't into fantasy at all agree.

Honestly, I'd say GoT is more popular among people who aren't into fantasy. Most of the fantasy nerds I know have been following the series since the 90s and are just a little tired of it at this point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Court Jester

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

If you enjoy sleazy garbage try either Deathstalker or Sorceress.

Hundra is a mean little movie and Star Knight is a funky oddity. Conan seems like an automatic mention.

Also here's the bonus trailer for the Hundra blu ray that may never see the light of day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcNR2DUhwI

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm looking for schlock. Tons of it.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Teflon Don posted:

Hard Rock Zombies
Dungeonmaster
Twister's Revenge
Night Train to Terror
Quigley
Gymkata
Uninvited
Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College
Sorceress
Galaxina
The Creeping Terror

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Teflon Don posted:

Come join us in the horror thread. Enough schlock to last you a lifetime.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I need some movies about magic. Not wizard magic, but magicians and illusions. Ones I know of:
The Prestige
The Illusionist (both)
Now You See Me/2
Bergman's The Magician
Lord of Illusions
various Woody Allen flicks

Anything else worth watching?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for suggestions for lesser known gems from the New Hollywood era of 70s auteurs. I've seen all of Kubrick, Scorcese, and Coppola. I'm looking for recommendations (bonus points if it's streaming) from guys like Hal Ashby, Michael Cimino, William Friedkin, John Milius, and Sam Peckinpah. It doesn't specifically have to be those guys but I think they give a good gestalt of what I'm after.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Long Goodbye x 1000

Also Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

fishtobaskets posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for lesser known gems from the New Hollywood era of 70s auteurs. I've seen all of Kubrick, Scorcese, and Coppola. I'm looking for recommendations (bonus points if it's streaming) from guys like Hal Ashby, Michael Cimino, William Friedkin, John Milius, and Sam Peckinpah. It doesn't specifically have to be those guys but I think they give a good gestalt of what I'm after.

Hopefully these aren't overly obvious, but I can strongly advocate for Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde; Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, The Getaway, and Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia; Alan J. Pakula's "paranoia trilogy" (Klute, The Parallax View, All The President's Men); Terrence Malick's Badlands and Days Of Heaven; Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye, Nashville and Three Women; Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon and Network; George Romero's Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, and Martin; Paul Schrader's Blue Collar; Hal Ashby's The Last Detail; and John Cassavete's The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie. Also if Europeans may crash the party then Milos Forman's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, John Scheslinger's Midnight Cowboy, Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, and John Boorman's Point Blank and Deliverance.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fishtobaskets posted:

Robert Altman's 70s output is pretty solid. 3 Women was on Netflix last time I checked.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Fantastic, guys. Thanks. I've seen a lot of these, but a lot of them I haven't. The Long Goodbye will be first on the list.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Origami Dali posted:

I need some movies about magic. Not wizard magic, but magicians and illusions. Ones I know of:
The Prestige
The Illusionist (both)
Now You See Me/2
Bergman's The Magician
Lord of Illusions
various Woody Allen flicks

Anything else worth watching?

F/X and F/X 2 have the same kind of vibe.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

Fantastic, guys. Thanks. I've seen a lot of these, but a lot of them I haven't. The Long Goodbye will be first on the list.

I LOVED The Long Goodbye, and I say this as a big crime-noir-detective fan. It actually makes a great first movie in a triple-feature with The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also definitely watch The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

flannelox
Aug 7, 2016

I'm looking for murder mystery thrillers along the lines of Bong Joon-ho's films like Memories of Murder and Mother, and darker ones like Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure and Penance (even though Penance was a tv miniseries)

I don't know what particular magic it is that Bong Joon-ho weaves into his films (maybe just the right amount of tension and comedy to lighten it up?) but his murder mysteries are basically the pinnacle of the genre for me. They're similar to David Fincher's films but I enjoy those two far more than something like Zodiac or Seven for example.

On the other hand, murder mysteries like Kiyoshi Kurasawa's Cure and Penance are darker, largely humourless takes on the same genre that I just adore. Cure is probably one of my favourite films and the last episode of Penance was spectacular.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

fishtobaskets posted:

I happen to think Peckinpah's director's cut of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid is fantastic. It's not on streaming, but worth seeking out. Also if you'd like to see Peckinpah make a WWII action film, Cross of Iron is a good choice.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is less of a recommend me a film request and more of a help me figure out how to watch Andrei Tartovsky post.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fishtobaskets posted:

This is less of a recommend me a film request and more of a help me figure out how to watch Andrei Tartovsky post.
You put his movies on your screen and sit and look at them...? You could start with earlier stuff like Andrei Rublev or Ivan's Childhood but really you can just watch th ings in any order, it's not like they're the Indiana Jones movies or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sand Monster posted:

Also if you'd like to see Peckinpah make a WWII action film, Cross of Iron is a good choice.

Cross of Iron is so loving good. It's just about the only movie out there that'll make you genuinely empathize with Nazi soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I'm a sucker for time-travel/past-self displacement things like Time Traveller's Wife, About Time, Quantum Leap, Journeyman, etc. Anything else decent out there like those?

• Locked thread