Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I finally picked this game back up after taking 6 months off or so and finished it. I've never felt more insulted or disappointed in an endgame scenario in any game I've ever played, and I'm a gamer going back to the Atari 2600. How is it that in a world where we get the outcry over the "Mass Effect 3" ending THIS game wasn't a loving international incident? No matter what you choose, you're artificially funneled into "slaughter the other factions like a mass murderer." I was guffawing at the insane hilarity of the Railroad saving the synths by...mass-murdering humans and synths. You've got to be kidding me!

There's four factions and only two endings (technically four if you count male and female voiced endings as seperate), 1 for the Institute and 1 for everybody else and that's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Apparently people who dislike Fallout 4 only do so because they're letting nostalgia cloud their judgement and allowing hype out run their expectation. Not for other legitimate reasons like a horrible story, bad writing, and extremely repetitive quests. :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP51WJuyLBk

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Back Hack posted:

Apparently people who dislike Fallout 4 only do so because they're letting nostalgia cloud their judgement and allowing hype out run their expectation. Not for other legitimate reasons like a horrible story, bad writing, and extremely repetitive quests. :jerkbag:

i mean he's correct in the sense that f3 was at least as bad if not worse

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I killed Father and then they attacked the Castle and that made sense to me. I guess I didn't realize they'd attack even if you just, what, told him no and left? That is kind of funny.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

botany posted:

i mean he's correct in the sense that f3 was at least as bad if not worse

F3 is definitely worse

I would take a thousand workshop DLCs over another Mothership Zeta or Operation Anchorage

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

F3 is definitely worse

I would take a thousand workshop DLCs over another Mothership Zeta or Operation Anchorage

i never even got to much of the f3 dlc because the game was so bad :\

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Oh Christ, I can smell the neckbeard in the tone of his voice... Here he is, talking about the beauty and art of the game while he's sprinting through wasting alpha deathclaws and behemoth with an OP gun without breaking a sweat. There is zero sense of danger.

:goonsay: "Tolstoy once said..."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ron Jeremy posted:

There is zero sense of danger.

Welcome to any character past 50

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Azhais posted:

Welcome to any character past 50

which is my essential criticism about F4.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if the biggest criticism you can level at a game is 'it feels easy after i've done mostly everything' then i think the game is pretty fundamentally worth playing

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I can't even think of an RPG that has any sense of danger once you get to higher levels. Well, unless you count Oblivion but that wasn't on purpose.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah in all Fallout games (even in "classic" ones) there was a point where you were ridiculously deadly OP compared to any possible danger

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

Yeah in all Fallout games (even in "classic" ones) there was a point where you were ridiculously deadly OP compared to any possible danger

But it was somehow more satisfying watching the slayer walk the earth one turn at a time

I still miss being able to go jixed/bloody mess/max luck/all unarmed punch supermutants torsos off while their guns exploded in their hands.

Don't take anything I say as any sort of reasonable criticism of fallout 4's playability, I've somehow got like 400 hours into this game

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Coolguye posted:

if the biggest criticism you can level at a game is 'it feels easy after i've done mostly everything' then i think the game is pretty fundamentally worth playing

It's not even the higher levels though. Get three ranks into a weapon and three ranks of sneak and everything is toast. All bethesda games have the same sort of curve. Wonderful for the first ten levels, then flat as gently caress. So flat that you have to didle with the difficulty sliders to keep it interesting.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Its kind of the point of RPGs that you become an unkillable beast in the late game.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
the problem with FO4 in that regard is your health growth, in my opinion. I think it's fine for you to be a mean murder machine if you could at least die if you screwed up.

But since your HP never stops growing and levels are effectively infinite, there comes a point where even a 1 END character with light armor is all but invincible. I had to make a mod to severely tone down the player health scaling because of that.

Ideally I'd like a mod that caps health growth at level 30-40(where human enemies also stop scaling for the most part) so that you don't become invincible just by virtue of leveling a lot. Sadly the health formula appears to be hard coded.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's not even the higher levels though. Get three ranks into a weapon and three ranks of sneak and everything is toast. All bethesda games have the same sort of curve. Wonderful for the first ten levels, then flat as gently caress. So flat that you have to didle with the difficulty sliders to keep it interesting.

if the biggest criticism you can level at a game is 'this one thing out of the dozens you can do ends up being really powerful, who knew' then i think the game is pretty fundamentally worth playing

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Fallout 4 is my favourite game since Fallout 3, which I preferred to NV because it was just a better designed exploration experience, which is what I play Bethesda open world games for.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

Fallout 4 is my favourite game since Fallout 3, which I preferred to NV because it was just a better designed exploration experience, which is what I play Bethesda open world games for.

I prefer FO4 to NV as well because I consider the story and balance equally bad in both, but FO4 feels less artificially gated map-wise and the gunplay is a trillion billion times better.

Plus I now have the option to actually, for real, tell every single faction to eat poo poo and just save the region myself

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think everyone remembers the modded version of New Vegas they played

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Maybe some of the gurus in here can give me an idea what the gently caress is up with this game.

I've got about 120 hours in on various playthroughs. I used to have an AMD HD7000, but this week I swapped it out for an AMD R9 380 and formatted the computer. I reinstalled Fallout 4, and I'm experiencing a weird frame jutter in game now. The FPS is higher, even on higher settings (tracked through the Steam FPS option), but when I walk or turn or swing a weapon every so often the game slows down like I'm moving through molasses. My framerate does NOT drop. I tried every combination of advanced settings, and it even does it if I turn all settings fully down.

The weird thing is that if I uncouple the framerate by setting iPresentInterval=0 and let my framerate jump to about 90-120fps on average, the jutter entirely vanishes. Now, because Bethesda coded a poo poo game and their engine is tied to frame rate, that breaks things like picking up items, lock picking or hacking. Right now I've got my framerate artificially capped at 60 via the AMD control panel and everything is all swell, but once in awhile I get a weird line that slowly crawls up my screen like an old tv losing V-Hold. It's working, but I'm hoping I can find a less work-around solution.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think everyone remembers the modded version of New Vegas they played

Yeah modded New Vegas was my favourite game on the Xbox 360.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

I prefer FO4 to NV as well because I consider the story and balance equally bad in both, but FO4 feels less artificially gated map-wise and the gunplay is a trillion billion times better.

Plus I now have the option to actually, for real, tell every single faction to eat poo poo and just save the region myself

I definitely preferred the story in NV, but FO4 actually has an ending instead of just "you win the game, *credits roll, loads last save before you started the last mission*" so it's a wash. We'll see what happens when they add in raiders with Nuka World. If it's an end game faction that is fun and feels like the legion, that might put FO4 ahead.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I definitely preferred the story in NV, but FO4 actually has an ending instead of just "you win the game, *credits roll, loads last save before you started the last mission*" so it's a wash.

How is this not an ending? That's more of an ending than F4 had!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How is this not an ending? That's more of an ending than F4 had!

Because it's not an ending. It's like a little quest you do and then you return to wherever it was before you did it. The game is never over. It's always in a perpetual state of anticipation of this climactic battle that never gets realized. Whereas in fo4, the game is over, and then you can go on to see the effects of your decisions in the world.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Because it's not an ending. It's like a little quest you do and then you return to wherever it was before you did it. The game is never over. It's always in a perpetual state of anticipation of this climactic battle that never gets realized. Whereas in fo4, the game is over, and then you can go on to see the effects of your decisions in the world.

It depends on how you do it, then, but seeing the ending slides of New Vegas was still much more satisfying than doing radiant quests for your faction of choice and defending their checkpoints. Hoover Dam had a sense of finality about that that F4 never manages to muster, at least for me. I do tend to save for when I ready to end my playthrough, though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The game is over, I can tell because it let's me keep playing :psyduck:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Both are valid ways to end a game. I prefer FO4 tho

I think if the gunplay and sheer density of poo poo on the map (which may not be fair, as NV is in a desert after all) were worse in 4 I'd prefer NV.

Both fine games.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Both are valid ways to end a game. I prefer FO4 tho

I think if the gunplay and sheer density of poo poo on the map (which may not be fair, as NV is in a desert after all) were worse in 4 I'd prefer NV.

Both fine games.

Excuse me, you can't like two things, you have to pick one of the equally asinine and moronic sides and then argue like a stupid rear end in a top hat about it every 10 pages.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I definitely preferred the story in NV, but FO4 actually has an ending instead of just "you win the game, *credits roll, loads last save before you started the last mission*" so it's a wash. We'll see what happens when they add in raiders with Nuka World. If it's an end game faction that is fun and feels like the legion, that might put FO4 ahead.

I don't think you know what 'ending' means because 'can keep playing the game afterwards' is not what that means.

Also New Vegas seriously had like 4+ endings per faction, town and companion based on a bunch of decions you made (the Kings alone have like a dozen different outcomes) and F4 has a paragraph-length speech and then you continue dicking around with settlements until you're bored. The end?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If it's possible to revert to a pre-ending state then it's not an ending. Batman Vs Superman doesn't have an ending, for example, nor does Fahrenheit 451.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It depends on how you do it, then, but seeing the ending slides of New Vegas was still much more satisfying than doing radiant quests for your faction of choice and defending their checkpoints. Hoover Dam had a sense of finality about that that F4 never manages to muster, at least for me. I do tend to save for when I ready to end my playthrough, though.

the slides are like a minute long though. then you go on to continue playing your save, and the defeated side is still there, and everyone is talking about the upcoming war, that you have already done. and there's generally hours and hours of that in my playthroughs. it makes it feel like the ending never even happened. i wish fo4 had the slides, and there's no reason they couldn't have added them, but if it was a one or the other type thing, i'd probably take the way they did it over NV's. to cut NV slack, it feels like that was just a part of the game they couldn't flesh out as much as they would've liked. but i like that the environment feels different after the end in fo4. it's not just radiant quests. if you beat the game with the institute, there's a fully fleshed out power struggle after the game is over that is fun as hell, and defines the internal politics of the institute, and the players role in them. then the npc's in the world talk about the player as the head of the institute, and that dialogue is influenced based on how the player chose to present themselves in the broadcast they sent out to the commonwealth. so there's that feeling that you are a glorified raider leader, or a savior of mankind that's reinforced quite often. and of course there's synths out in the world, and in places where you'd never see them before, like diamond city, that makes it feel like the institute won. and all your companions have dialogue based on the faction you chose, so it effects your relationship with them in the post game as well. i definitely prefer it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think you know what 'ending' means because 'can keep playing the game afterwards' is not what that means.

Also New Vegas seriously had like 4+ endings per faction, town and companion based on a bunch of decions you made (the Kings alone have like a dozen different outcomes) and F4 has a paragraph-length speech and then you continue dicking around with settlements until you're bored. The end?

new vegas let you play afterwards too. it just pretended that everything you just did never even happened.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I mean sure depending on your actions New Vegas can spend close to an hour detailing the effect your actions had on the Mojave but then your missing out on all that great post-game content like how Preston needs your help with another settlement and the angry BoS guy really needs you to go kill that one feral ghoul reaver in that one dungeon

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You're talking about post-ending play, where you keep playing the same save after the end of the main quest! That's different to an ending!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Volkerball posted:

new vegas let you play afterwards too. it just pretended that everything you just did never even happened.

I, uh, I guess? I mean unless a game exists that deletes all your saves and uninstalls itself when you beat it you seem to be describing how all video games have always worked, forever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I, uh, I guess? I mean unless a game exists that deletes all your saves and uninstalls itself when you beat it you seem to be describing how all video games have always worked, forever
I'll go ahead and expand this from "all video games" to "all stories written or recorded in any form"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

That's different to an ending!

*than an ending. and it was clear what i was talking about, don't bitch about semantics.

Wolfsheim posted:

are you really going to defend the concept of ending an open world game by just reloading your last save after you do the final mission? and no, off the top of my head, gta games, red dead redemption, and far cry have all had continuations after the end of the story. and i'm sure those are far from the only examples because it's obviously the preferable way to do it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fallout 3 ends lacks an ending in the exact same way unless you download le epic DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Volkerball posted:

*than an ending. and it was clear what i was talking about, don't bitch about semantics.

are you really going to defend the concept of ending an open world game by just reloading your last save after you do the final mission? and no, off the top of my head, gta games, red dead redemption, and far cry have all had continuations after the end of the story. and i'm sure those are far from the only examples because it's obviously the preferable way to do it.

Your avatar is this entire goddamn argument

• Locked thread