Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Skratti thugs are some of the strongest with a good bless and a shroud. I've had them surprise wipe player forces much larger than they had any business killing.

Golems are mindless and lifeless so they're the only commanders that come close to being super-combatants since they're immune to soul slay. Elemental magic will still easily kill them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
You cant make SC anymore because there are just too many angles of attack,

If they dont have high MR there are insta death spells.
If they dont have high ele resistances there are AP/AN spells that hit for 10-20 dmg and you just need a couple of those to kill them.
If they dont have surplus revinvigoration you can cast fatigue generating battlefield effects/spells/weapons/heatcold auras and knock them unconcious for critical hits.
If they dont have good morale you can spam fear effects and use rituals to cut off retreat paths.
There are spells that just dont have much of a defensive answer, like life for a life, gifts from heaven, claws of kyotcos, magic duel etc.

Then they need to have the above defenses while also getting a high enough combination of hp/regen/def/prot/etheral/mirror image/etc to survive the normal armies you want them to kill without getting afflictions.

Even if they have all that with some artifacts and a good chasis (I'm not sure if there is a combination that gets you everything) you can build some counter thugs, to kill them at a much cheaper cost.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Plus, y'know, even if you have all of those things, the Plaid Random Number God might decide that today he will reenact iwanttobelieve.jpg and your SC will get murdered by a militia despite all statistics that say they shouldn't

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you are a Pretender and you can't afford 50+ gems of gear for your prophet you ain't much.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 25, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
SC were never an efficient strategy gem-wise, but the lack of immunities in Dom4 killed them hard. Every good elemental spell will be doing ~20 damage, and you can set up spam fairly easily. The best resistance you can expect is 10 to 15.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus posted:

If you are a Pretender and you can't afford 50+ gems of gear for your prophet you ain't much.

MR 16 is very casual.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I think this guy is a good example of the dom4 philosophy of raiding with thugs, he can kill large numbers of elite lizard riders while they struggle to get through his 30+ defense with their 16-18 attack, if you have him pop up unexpectedly he could easily kill a thousand gold worth of cavalry and then escape into the night with no damage taken.

But he's not unstoppable he's vulnerable to charm/enslave mind/polymorph/petrify/hellbind heart/etc due to low MR, if a gifts from heaven falls on his head he can instantly die, a couple thunderstrikes will either kill him or fatigue him enough he'll die anyway.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Density posted:

MR 16 is very casual.

same

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
you can still put a bunch of big dumb artifacts on a big dumb summon and let it go to town if you are playing single player

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

There is still one secret path to making a SC, using the spell "Wish" you can increase the maximum health of a creature an unlimited number of times, this can get a creature regening 100 or even 1000hp/ turn. You can then ignore many of the defenses as they are no longer required and focus on making sure that it can't be insta killed or fatigued. However the gem cost is immense and thus this is a highly advanced strategy for 1000+ province games.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Applebee123 posted:

There is still one secret path to making a SC, using the spell "Wish" you can increase the maximum health of a creature an unlimited number of times, this can get a creature regening 100 or even 1000hp/ turn. You can then ignore many of the defenses as they are no longer required and focus on making sure that it can't be insta killed or fatigued. However the gem cost is immense and thus this is a highly advanced strategy for 1000+ province games.

Somebody get Baalz to write a guide stat.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Applebee123 posted:

Banish to Inferno (or Claws of Kokytos). Doesn't care about your resistances, your HP, has reasonably low casting requirements and cheap gem(slave)wise. Sure it's Blood 9, but then again Wish is in the 9th tier of a spell school as well. Suiciding someone with Protection of Geryon attached works nicely too, and only requires Construction 8.

Thugs certainly have their place though. Immortal ones running around your dominion can be absolute terrors for invading armies. Also a good gem investment since even if they get killed, you just get them back for free.

edit: And yeah, I know that was a facetious joke.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2016

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Applebee123 posted:

decrepus and diabl perform the fusion dance

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ramc posted:

He has a Frostbrand, Vine Shield, Armor of Displacement, Goring Helmet Thing, Regen Ring and Reinvigoration Amulet Thing. He's a prophet in candles with a D9 bless. He casts mist form, personal regeneration and also I guess holy avenger but nothing has ever gotten through his zillion mirror images.

He has over 500 kills.

He can kill about 150 skeletons before he gets bored and fucks off but in the corner they can't fully surround him due to vine shield so whatever. The AI is too dumb to deal with him.

Thug representing

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ramc posted:

Thug representing

Pretend I posted the similar thug you had in indychaos who died instantly to leech here.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't know why you would bother raising the MR from five to nine.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I don't know why you would bother raising the MR from five to nine.

It did nothing and died to a single ancestor ghost with paralyzing touch. :thumbsup:

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

TheDemon posted:

SC were never an efficient strategy gem-wise, but the lack of immunities in Dom4 killed them hard. Every good elemental spell will be doing ~20 damage, and you can set up spam fairly easily. The best resistance you can expect is 10 to 15.

Lower level elemental spam can have range problems. Take the SC golem from my previous video for example. No decent protection against cold attacks, so one solution would be to bring lots of water mages. Lets see how that works out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Ah0-Yldqk

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
have you ever played nation gen? have you ever played catacylsm? have you found these things not sufficiently silly for you? well here is the game for you. the game is called heck and its open for sign ups right now, it will be using a set of nations that i made and a slightly modified version of cataclysm as well as mus throne mod. heres the nations

Nation 100: Vanain
-----------------------------------
Race: Ichtyids.
Military: Heavy infantry. Sacred heavy infantry.
Magic: Water. Weak Blood.
Priests: Moderate.

Nation 101: Neimark
Race: Hoburgs.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light hog, deer and hawk cavalry. Elite cavalry. Sacred light ranger.
Magic: Earth and Nature.
Priests: Weak.

Nation 102: Zandirphale
Race: Halfmen.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Hunters. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Nature. Weak Air and Blood.

Nation 103: Takhan
Race: Pale Ones.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Boulder throwers. Sacred heavy skirmisher.
Magic: Earth, Death and Nature. Weak Air.
Priests: Weak, temples cost 200 gold.

Nation 104: Ostorde
Race: Humans, some Lizards.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Heavy cavalry. Sacred light infantry. Cheaper forts.
Magic: Weak Fire, Water, Earth and Astral.

Nation 105: Xotepec
Race: Zotzs, some Hoburgs, prefers Heat scale +1.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Bowmen. Sacred light jaguar cavalry.
Magic: Earth. Weak Death, Nature and Blood. Some Hoburg mages.

Nation 106: Octcualpa
Race: Atlantians, some Primates, prefers Heat scale +1.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Heavy lion cavalry. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Air. Weak Water, Earth and Nature.

Nation 107: Shidousawa
Race: Tengus, some Atlantians.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Dart throwers. Sacred Atlantian heavy infantry.
Magic: Death. Weak Water, Earth and Blood. Some Muuch mages.

Nation 108: Textlan
Race: Zotzs, some Abysians, prefers Cold scale +1.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Heavy drake and fossil cavalry. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Air and Death. Weak Fire and Blood.
Priests: Strong.

Nation 109: Sarhab
Race: Caelians.
Military: Heavy infantry. Archers. Sacred light ranger.
Magic: Fire and Air. Weak Water and Astral.

Nation 110: Olasi
Race: Halfmen, some Cavemen.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Hunters and hunters. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Nature and Blood. Weak Earth.

Nation 111: Dushjavaz
Race: Caelians.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Fire. Weak Air, Astral, Nature and Blood. Some Dynastic human mages.

Nation 112: Nairotku
Race: Humans, prefers Heat scale +1.
Military: Heavy infantry. Heavy boar cavalry. Sacred light tiger cavalry. Expensive forts.
Magic: Air and Earth. Weak Fire. Some Lizard mages.

Nation 113: Imedj
Race: Abysians, some Hoburgs.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light salamander cavalry and heavy drake cavalry. Sacred Hoburg heavy infantry.
Magic: Fire. Weak Earth, Nature and Blood.
Priests: Strong, temples cost 300 gold.

Nation 114: Monathon
Race: Humans, some Avvites.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light cavalry and heavy cavalry. Chariots. Sacred light ranger. Expensive forts.
Magic: Fire. Weak Air, Earth and Nature. Some Avvite mages.

Nation 115: Burarivati
Race: Pale Ones, some Humans.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Archers. Heavy serpent cavalry. Sacred Human light ranger. Expensive forts.
Magic: Nature. Weak Air and Death. Some Amazon human mages.
Priests: Strong, can perform blood sacrifices.

Nation 116: Lumagan
Race: Fomorians, some Lizards.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Sacred heavy infantry.
Magic: Air and Earth. Weak Death.

Nation 117: Tissa
Race: Humans, some Primates.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light tiger cavalry and heavy bear cavalry. Sacred heavy infantry.
Magic: Astral and Death. Weak Fire.

Nation 118: Matepec
Race: Atlantians, some Cavemen, prefers Heat scale +1.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Empoisoners. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Water and Nature. Weak Earth.

Nation 119: Malmark
Race: Hoburgs.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light hawk cavalry and heavy hawk and hog cavalry. Elite herald. Sacred heavy ranger. Expensive forts.
Magic: Water and Death. Weak Air.
Priests: Moderate, temples cost 600 gold.

pick one and use its number to sign up on the goon dating service and then i will upload the mod to the thing and you can down load it and maek your pretender. pelase do no at any time use the mod to peak at anyone but your own nation. nation 115 is banned because blood sacrifice when no one else is able to do it is probably overpowered.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Blood sac when no one else can do it might be overpowered?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

What do the weapons of mass destruction and burden-b-gone mods do?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jester Mcgee posted:

go to snek.earth, signup (I dunno if you need to be approved or not though), and there's a mods page, that will give you descriptions of all the mods.. provided this is a snek.earth game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Jester Mcgee posted:

burden be gone removes burden of time from the game. weapons of mass destruction does a bunch of funny things to artifacts

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I need to get back now that I graduated from Navy Bootcamp.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

amuayse posted:

I need to get back now that I graduated from Navy Bootcamp.

It is too bad you missed the signups for the new Amphibious Assault game, where you could have put your new skills to work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Dominoins 4 is an epic game of myth and fantasy.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 26, 2016

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pretend I posted the similar thug you had in indychaos who died instantly to leech here.

Yeaaaah. I did not expect that to work.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I countered Diabl's triple bless Vans by using Leech. I casted it and it inflicted 1 damage because of their mistform and then I casted it again and it bounced off of their blood vengeance and killed my are self.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

I countered Diabl's triple bless Vans by using Leech. I casted it and it inflicted 1 damage because of their mistform and then I casted it again and it bounced off of their blood vengeance and killed my are self.

In that situation it should have killed both of you instantly.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
No I think the vanjarl might have survived due to regeneration and bonus HP from the bless

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Finally! Another video is uploaded!

:frogsiren: Dom4 Multiplayer Mayhem 12 :frogsiren:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I"m getting back into the game after a very long break, so in regards to the recent thug chat; is it best to have them operate alone, or can it be a good idea to bolster your armies by mixing a few thugs in?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

Jabarto posted:

I"m getting back into the game after a very long break, so in regards to the recent thug chat; is it best to have them operate alone, or can it be a good idea to bolster your armies by mixing a few thugs in?

You can do both, the ones that are alone are for killing pd and taking random provinces, you want to give them either flying or stealth so they are hard to catch with a big army. You want to give them the bare minimum gems worth of gear that they can reliably take pd out. You accept that sooner or later something will catch them, but hopefully they will have done enough damage and distracted an army or two for a while to make it worth it. One cool trick you can do is to use them to cap the retreat paths if your army is fighting the enemies big army, so that if the enemy retreats in battle, everything is destroyed.

Putting them in a main army is just another outlet for using gems to win battles. Just like you might spend gems for summoning elementals, spamming big spells with the fatigue reduction, casting big battlefield enchantments or summoning creatures from rituals. The benefits of spending gems on thugs in armies versus other outlets really depends on what research and mages you have and what thug chasis you can get. If you have sacred giant commanders with a E/N bless, some water gems and nothing good researched to spend the water gems on you can get a lot of value out of popping a few frost brands on a few recruited giants. If you have weak human commanders, no bless and living water researched and mages who can cast it, building frost brands is going to be a waste versus spamming waves of living water.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Pack o thugs works best alone mainly.

With an army they'll get twangled up in troops or missiles instead of putting the kibosh on low numbers of PD which is their real job (that they tend do less efficiently than elemental+astral or air mages teleporting in and casting elementals but so be it).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

You risk a hitpoint rout using thugs in armies. It can be viable, but army hitpoints get depleted faster than thugs will win a battle, as most thug battles are fights of endurance. You also increase the risk of fighting something that can hurt them, as most players will assemble mages to counter large armies. You also make it more difficult for the thugs to engage what they're meant to engage, as they can't easily maneuver around friendly troops.

It can work, though. It just depends on circumstance. I would say the right circumstances are rare.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TheDemon posted:

You risk a hitpoint rout using thugs in armies. It can be viable, but army hitpoints get depleted faster than thugs will win a battle, as most thug battles are fights of endurance. You also increase the risk of fighting something that can hurt them, as most players will assemble mages to counter large armies. You also make it more difficult for the thugs to engage what they're meant to engage, as they can't easily maneuver around friendly troops.

It can work, though. It just depends on circumstance. I would say the right circumstances are rare.

Yeah this, thugs can be useful in larger army battles, I forget which nation I was, but I had 2 thugs with frostbrand/vine shield and flying boots, I had no other flying units in my army so enemy was unprepared, I had hold attack rear on them, got buffed and they got lucky morale checks and got into the mage lines and did some serious damage, they did end up dying, but i won the fight with way less losses and also ended up recovering the items obviously. This is not common though, typically I would use a thug/pair thugs for raiding and as someone else said, cutting off retreat paths, honestly even if you lose fights, often times your enemy will have stuff that routed and it will die with no retreat path, so it can still be a net gain depending on what you lose.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Finally won my first (AI) game of this after intending to learn how to play for years. MA Ermor is extremely strong and cool, I would probably have had my head shoved in by players though as I'm only just starting to learn magic scripting and path boosting. I assume they'd be hard countered by massed priests or battlewide spells, that H3 MR spell tho...

LA Rlyeh is also quite fun but involves way more shuttling about of garbage units lead by garbage insane commanders who can't take any of the good units and I can't figure out what good poo poo astral does other than stellar cascade.
Whereas I've hosed around with blood which seems insanely strong and pisses out slaves but I'm not sure what kind of battlemagic it has? Good for summoning fun poo poo and playing pokemon with demon lords though.

What other factions are there that feel unique gameplaywise?
And if I've played around with Blood, Death and Fire what's a good faction that leans heavily on another path?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Other good nations that play uniquely that a national socialist would pick: Pangaea's and Xibalba's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Try EA Vanheim with a n9 or w9 (or both!) bless.

Also you should check out the great spell at thaumaturgy level 5, Burden of Time, a very good spell for good players that will make everyone love you while working well with nations like Ermor.

• Locked thread