Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Nintendo said that in the future you will be able to port friends from the Anniversary released Red/Blue/Yellow into Sun/Moon.

One of the main concerns was that there was no way to determine what IVs the Machamp would have.

But with Hyper Training that is no longer an issue

Yes, it's been known for a long time that the gen 1 games on Virtual Console will be compatible with Pokemon Bank. That doesn't mean the pokemon transferred from that game will have their hidden abilities. IVs aren't what cause Machamp to have No Guard.

Edit: Wait, I'm stupid. No Guard is one of Machamp's regular abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm willing to bet that Pokémon that have been transferred from the Gen I virtual console games will have their hidden abilities (No Guard isn't a hidden ability on the Machop line).

EDIT: Abilities are determined by a value that's independent from IV values. Pokémon abilities are set up so that one slot has one ability and if the species can have another, then that'll be filled with that second ability. In Gen V, a third slot was added for hidden abilities.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 27, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
They'll just remove any out of place moves during the transfer, guaranteed. The definition of "out of place" might change in some instances but I don't see it changing for Fissure on Machamp.

edit: Regional abilities would also be a cool thing I kind of wish they'd do rather than 1-2 "normal" and 1 "hidden".

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I trust that despìte this probably being discussed in all Pokemon forums/subforums/threads, GF will not have the foresight to properly patch it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cerony posted:

Camerupt is great. It gets a lot of great moves through level up, TMs, and DexNav (I used one with Earth Power). Don't worry too much about a 4x weakness. If you're not one to leave a Pokemon in against something it's weak to then it doesn't really matter.

But what if it looks stupid like Numel/Camerupt

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Decus posted:

edit: Regional abilities would also be a cool thing I kind of wish they'd do rather than 1-2 "normal" and 1 "hidden".

Or make it that if the Pokemon was ported from Blue it has Ability 1, from Red Ability 2, and from Yellow Hidden Ability.

Make it so that the only thing stopping you from having an instagib monster was not buying the superior version, which is Red.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I still find it a bit nuts that Numel and Camerupt can potentially have 7 abilities: Oblivous, Simple and Own Tempo for Numel, Magma Armor, Solid Rock and Anger Point for standard Camerupt and Sheer Force for Mega Camerupt.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just remove the whole breeding nightmare entirely out of it and make abilities-hidden abilities learnable/unlearnable.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Abilities aren't that complicated in the first place. It's just another element to add depth to Pokémon's battle system. Most Pokémon have 1 of 2 regular abilities and a hidden 3rd ability that's supposed to be obtained via special means. Heck, with the ability capsule you now have at least some agency over which of the two regular abilities a given Pokémon can have.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm just guessing the glitch pokemon I have caught like the level 7 Ivysaur and level 7, well, every evolved pokemon that isn't in yellow, will not be transferred succesfully from the bank. So I was wondering if I could trick them by levelling them up to their minimum level. I'm guessing they'll notice if I have an Alakazam not flagged as traded though, or a raichu. Or, uh, two pikachus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope all gen I only moves become egg moves in Gwen VII

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Also, don't say things like "pure cancer."

actually, they can say whatever they want, as they are their own person

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned when the hyper training anouncement was made

But competitive No Guard Fissure Machamp is now almost definitely meta

Watch as Battlespot becomes pure cancer :getin:

does battle spot not usually have that rule about the pokemon having to be caught or bred in the current gen

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Brother Entropy posted:

does battle spot not usually have that rule about the pokemon having to be caught or bred in the current gen

Nope, I've used my Togekiss from XD on there just fine.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Has anything been leaked about where to get the items for Hyper Training? Like, can they be acquired in game from the mandatory Battle Chateau, or will they be event distributed?

MFW you have to pick them from Pokestops

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All we know is that the Magearna from the launch giveaway will be holding one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
youtube recommended this to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhhuAm2rSGE

i think it's cause it wants me to kill myself

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

With a name like Peppe Banana that film could have gone way, WAY more diferently.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

lame, they didn't kiss at the end.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

I heard the anime music and I thought drat cool but then I realized what I was watching

anyway, if you want to go through with it this should help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e7bX2oVlQ

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned when the hyper training anouncement was made

But competitive No Guard Fissure Machamp is now almost definitely meta

Watch as Battlespot becomes pure cancer :getin:

But the Machamp wouldn't have the gen 7 equivalent of the blue pentagram so may not be allowed on battlespot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Starsnostars posted:

But the Machamp wouldn't have the gen 7 equivalent of the blue pentagram so may not be allowed on battlespot.

Why wouldn't it, presuming the transfer method at least clears up completely illegal things (which it would have to do anyways because otherwise the bank will be overrun with missingnos)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I was more thinking of the competitions that are often run on battlespot which have the "blue pentagon only" rule so stuff traded from previous gens aren't allowed. They may stick with something similar and only allow mons caught or bred in gen 7 into certain competitions. Of course on regular battlespot or simulators anything goes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Would you not just be able to breed a new Machamp with Fissure and No Guard using the r/b/y ones so they'd be 'approved'? I'm a little fuzzy on what breeding does and doesn't let you do

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

if fissure isn't added as an egg move then no you couldn't breed it

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I got Virtual Console Red, and picked Charmander as my starter cause gently caress it, I can just capture a Nidoran for Brock's Gym.

Then it turns out that Nidoran learned Double Kick at level 38 or something in R/B and it was only till Yellow that it was changed to 12 (which was the version I played as a kid) :shepicide:

Old school GF sucked at balance.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

lezard_valeth posted:

So I got Virtual Console Red, and picked Charmander as my starter cause gently caress it, I can just capture a Nidoran for Brock's Gym.

Then it turns out that Nidoran learned Double Kick at level 38 or something in R/B and it was only till Yellow that it was changed to 12 (which was the version I played as a kid) :shepicide:

Find a Caterpie and level it until it gets confusion as Butterfree. That's like, your one option for non-resisted damage.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

or just use ember because geodude and onix have poo poo for special

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

sharrrk posted:

or just use ember because geodude and onix have poo poo for special

Yep this is what I resorted to. Got lucky Burn RNG on Geodude, and surprisingly Onix's AI is very scripted (Bide, store, store, Release, Tackle, Screech, Repeat) so I just exploited that for an easy win.

THANK GOD he only gets Bind on Yellow. Sure they reduced Onix's level, but they gave him a beast move.

edit: I forget, R/B/Y have some "must catch X number of Pokemon" gates, can someone list them?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lezard_valeth posted:

Yep this is what I resorted to. Got lucky Burn RNG on Geodude, and surprisingly Onix's AI is very scripted (Bide, store, store, Release, Tackle, Screech, Repeat) so I just exploited that for an easy win.

THANK GOD he only gets Bind on Yellow. Sure they reduced Onix's level, but they gave him a beast move.

edit: I forget, R/B/Y have some "must catch X number of Pokemon" gates, can someone list them?

Bulbapedia to the rescue:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Professors%27_aides

Route 2 Gate: 10 to get Flash
Route 11 Gate: 30 to get the Itemfinder
Route 15 Gate: 50 to get the Exp. All

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

lezard_valeth posted:

I always just sand attacked the poo poo out of him with as pidgey till he couldn't hit poo poo, then scratched till I was out.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Wait what?! There was an Exp. All in RBY? :psyduck:

I played blue in German and couldn't understand what was happening until I got Silver in English. I've always just assumed that it didn't start sharing between the entire party until gen 6.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bulbapedia to the rescue:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Professors%27_aides

Route 2 Gate: 10 to get Flash
Route 11 Gate: 30 to get the Itemfinder
Route 15 Gate: 50 to get the Exp. All

none of them are neccesary, if you're like me and played yellow so much you memorized the rock tunnel, or if you played it on the GBC so the walls were outlined

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Wait what?! There was an Exp. All in RBY? :psyduck:

I played blue in German and couldn't understand what was happening until I got Silver in English. I've always just assumed that it didn't start sharing between the entire party until gen 6.

the exp all sucks rear end tho, it divides exp by 6 instead of half like in gen 6

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

the exp all sucks rear end tho, it divides exp by 6 instead of half like in gen 6

Oh okay :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

lezard_valeth posted:

Onix's AI is very scripted (Bide, store, store, Release, Tackle, Screech, Repeat)

sounds like my mondays :D

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Itemfinder is necessary, imo, if you want cash cash money, 'cause you can find items to sell using the Itemfinder (sell all Ethers, Elixirs, and Vitamins unless you're one of THOSE PEOPLE that actually uses them). and you do want cash cash money, for the Ultra Balls to catch the birds, and the Full Restores for taking on the Elite Four.

unless the VC release still has the whole coast of Cinnabar glitch nuttiness, then items are no longer a problem.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It still has missingno

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Itemfinder is necessary, imo, if you want cash cash money, 'cause you can find items to sell using the Itemfinder (sell all Ethers, Elixirs, and Vitamins unless you're one of THOSE PEOPLE that actually uses them). and you do want cash cash money, for the Ultra Balls to catch the birds, and the Full Restores for taking on the Elite Four.

unless the VC release still has the whole coast of Cinnabar glitch nuttiness, then items are no longer a problem.

friend, you can look all that poo poo up on-line, also the itemfinder just beeps, doesn't even give any indication what direction the item is in, it's pretty much worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

lezard_valeth posted:

Has anything been leaked about where to get the items for Hyper Training? Like, can they be acquired in game from the mandatory Battle Chateau, or will they be event distributed?

MFW you have to pick them from Pokestops

The S&M guide book will come with a Golden bottlecap that instantly maxes out all of a Pokemon's IVs, other than that and the Magearna giveaway we don't know how bottlecaps will be obtained.