Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I don't get is, if the auction is in three days, why don't they just hang out for dinner and Nate can explain everything then?

Unless it's out of town or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure he's not lying to her to avoid having the conversation. He's trying to keep her safe by not getting her involved, because he's the hero and that's what heroes do. Relatedly, heroics are stupid and tend to get him in all sorts of trouble, but that's far from new.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is why they kept breaking up between games.

Also, one of these things is not like the other:

-Francis Drake
-Marco Polo
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Henry Avery

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wonder how much Nathan told Sam about Jeff.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Villain should have been Jeff the Cameraman brought back from the dead to get revenge.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is why they kept breaking up between games.

Also, one of these things is not like the other:

-Francis Drake
-Marco Polo
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Henry Avery

Yeah, T.E. Lawrence didn't love having adventures on boats.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vadoc posted:

I wonder how much Nathan told Sam about Jeff.

That was 90% of his recap of two.

The actual treasure was brought up in passing.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I wonder if Nathan's house and life seems worse the closer to, say, 19 you are. I mean don't get me wrong, I was happy when the brother showed up and it's WACKY ADVENTURE TIME too, but man, I just really appreciate how they didn't make his home life this unbearable smothering mess. As a senile decrepit wreck, it looked pretty nice to me! Communication issues aside.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hot take on this episode : Sam's Sully is pretty mean to him

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
There is no bad situation that Nathan Drake cannot make worse through poor judgement. That is his secret power.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
His decision to try and save Jeff allowed the guy's suffering to end a little quicker at least! :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jalathas posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not lying to her to avoid having the conversation. He's trying to keep her safe by not getting her involved, because he's the hero and that's what heroes do. Relatedly, heroics are stupid and tend to get him in all sorts of trouble, but that's far from new.
He is also putting a lot of unneeded stress on himself because he wants to prove Elena and himself that he can have leave that adventuring life behind him; despite the fact that Elena was perfectly fine with him doing the Malaysia job.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This wouldn't have happened if Elena hadn't made Nate play Crash Bandicoot. Those exotic jungle locales got his adventure lust all stirred up again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When you think about it, Crash Bandicoot is basically Drake. He's a big dummy that runs around killing off the local population so he can get shiny treasure while causing tons and tons of property damage. It's just that in Crash, the only property available to damage is crates.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also since Chip already mentioned Charlie is missing from this game, in the original draft he did show up and they did some motion capture with his actor, along with an unnamed character played by Alan Tudyk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bobjr posted:

Also since Chip already mentioned Charlie is missing from this game, in the original draft he did show up and they did some motion capture with his actor, along with an unnamed character played by Alan Tudyk.

Yeah it's likely one of those story beats Amy Hennig was fighting for that was eventually cut. I do not mind the Uncharted 4 we have, but I am interested in what Hennigs would have been.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

achillesforever6 posted:

He is also putting a lot of unneeded stress on himself because he wants to prove Elena and himself that he can have leave that adventuring life behind him; despite the fact that Elena was perfectly fine with him doing the Malaysia job.
Some below board salvaging is kind of on a completely different level from the average Drake adventure. I'd expect if Elena wanted him to take the salvage job its because it seems like a good stress relieve valve before he has a midlife crisis and goes on the average Drake adventure full of high profile international criminals and spooky magic.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I imagine the salvage deal doesn't involve shooting 10000 mercenaries so it's more of an overseas business trip than a chance to destroy another priceless vestige.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I'm thinking worst case with this Malaysia job is they get thrown in prison for illegal salvage (I doubt a Malaysian prison could be any worse than a Panamanian one), or more likely get the salvage confiscated and pay a hefty fine. With the typical Drake adventure, he could get killed any number of ways.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Not to mention he'd ruin yet another archeological masterpiece city.

I mean, the world's kind of running out of those.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

When you think about it, Crash Bandicoot is basically Drake. He's a big dummy that runs around killing off the local population so he can get shiny treasure while causing tons and tons of property damage. It's just that in Crash, the only property available to damage is crates.

What is Drake's Wumpa fruit analog? Does this mean Sully has an evil twin named Yllus? If Drake finds another Sully will they merge into a more powerful one? When Drake becomes invincible, what part of Sully goes over Drake's face?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The moustache.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like to think that when Nate said that he was married to Elena from "the stories" he meant it in an old timey way to say "newspapers". Like Sam had been keeping up with local news and knows who Elena is by her columns on exotic places.

Although i do have a hard time believing that Nate being married didn't come up much much sooner in the conversation considering how close Elena was to all his adventures. You'd think by the 2nd story Sam would be doing his brotherly duty and giving Nate poo poo for not getting with her.

Look all i'm saying is that this imaginary part of a conversation we skipped over was horrible writing and Naughty Dog should be ashamed :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe he actually didn't mention Elena at all until the Uncharted 3 story and in his Uncharted 1 story he was firing the grenade launcher one-handed while steering the jet-ski with the other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The character animations in this game are amazing...during that section of the prison break it looks like almost a movie set. You can tell a lot of effort was put into making those animations flow in a pretty amazing way.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I like to think that when Nate said that he was married to Elena from "the stories" he meant it in an old timey way to say "newspapers". Like Sam had been keeping up with local news and knows who Elena is by her columns on exotic places.

Although i do have a hard time believing that Nate being married didn't come up much much sooner in the conversation considering how close Elena was to all his adventures. You'd think by the 2nd story Sam would be doing his brotherly duty and giving Nate poo poo for not getting with her.

Look all i'm saying is that this imaginary part of a conversation we skipped over was horrible writing and Naughty Dog should be ashamed :v:

Look, Nate's just an awful storyteller. Just completely terrible. He kept mentioning "us" and "we" without ever explaining who else was there, and Sam was too polite to mention it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Do you like streams? Maybe! Do you like Gex? Probably not! Do you like helping sick and injured children? Of course you do!

The two of us, Voidburger, and my wife will be going through the entire Gex series in a 24-hour stretch this weekend, Saturday morning into Sunday, and collecting donations for Hurley Children's Hospital in Flint, Michigan. Chip and I are from Flint and still have plenty of friends and family living there. This is a chance to help that community care for people in their greatest need. It's also your chance to hang out with us as we are driven into sleepless ecstacy by Dana Gould's sweet one-liners. We're going to have giveaways and other donation incentives, it's gonna be great. You can find even more details and donate at https://gextra.life. Feel free to spread that link around!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do people not like Gex? I only played I think the second one (which of course is the only one not offered on the PSN store for some reason :argh: ), but it seemed like a perfectly good game

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh man, time for me to get nothing done this weekend.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

Do you like streams? Maybe! Do you like Gex? Probably not! Do you like helping sick and injured children? Of course you do!

The two of us, Voidburger, and my wife will be going through the entire Gex series in a 24-hour stretch this weekend, Saturday morning into Sunday, and collecting donations for Hurley Children's Hospital in Flint, Michigan. Chip and I are from Flint and still have plenty of friends and family living there. This is a chance to help that community care for people in their greatest need. It's also your chance to hang out with us as we are driven into sleepless ecstacy by Dana Gould's sweet one-liners. We're going to have giveaways and other donation incentives, it's gonna be great. You can find even more details and donate at https://gextra.life. Feel free to spread that link around!

The url can't be reached yet.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Technowolf posted:

The url can't be reached yet.

The forums added the http bit, but it works as just gextra.life. You can also use the much less memorable http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=214807 instead.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 31, 2016

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I have my first Saturday off of the year, so this is a nice way to spend a day off. I should be able to pitch a little in since it's such a good cause.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014

White Coke posted:

What is Drake's Wumpa fruit analog? Does this mean Sully has an evil twin named Yllus? If Drake finds another Sully will they merge into a more powerful one? When Drake becomes invincible, what part of Sully goes over Drake's face?

Just the mustache.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

White Coke posted:

More impotently, which Austrailian animal is Drake mutated from?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Geostomp posted:

More impotently, which Austrailian animal is Drake mutated from?

Drop Bear.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
With a name like that he'd have to be some kind of duck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

With a name like that he'd have to be some kind of duck.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, that's Sully.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, that's Sully.

But it doesn't have a moustache. :confused:
I suppose it could be from when he was 2–3 or something, before it was fully developed.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread