Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They could stuff their SKY-G poo poo into it making it a miller cycle turbo rotary. Higher static compression ratio and miller cycle lowering overall combustion pressures would fix emissions.

A 10 speed transmission or even mild hybrid would fix the fuel economy thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Make it a hybrid with a cvt. The increased fuel economy will allow for a smaller gas tank, which will free up space for a 5 gallon oil reserve tank.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

eyebeem posted:

Make it a hybrid with a cvt. The increased fuel economy will allow for a smaller gas tank, which will free up space for a 5 gallon oil reserve tank.

They already have some pretty good manuals and automatics, so it might be cheaper to use those instead of buying a CVT from Jatco or someone. Not sure how much power they can typically handle also.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

eyebeem posted:

CT just had an anyerusm.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FBS posted:

I just want a Miata I can fit in. I test drove an NC and sat in the new one at the dealer and neither one would be usable as a daily driver. My heart was broken :smith:

also is there any chance that the RX-9 rumors are true? http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/24/mazda-rx-9-coupe-concept-tokyo-report/

Why is it so heavy, and where the gently caress is my OPEL GT gm?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Also make it brown and a station wagon

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
RX-9 was always a shooting brake you know

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Brown rotary turbo diesel AWD shooting brake.

With a CVT.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

eyebeem posted:

Brown rotary turbo diesel AWD shooting brake.

With a CVT.

The best car nobody will ever ever ever buy. Not even one sale.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Make it a PX-9 with a proper piston engine and not some stupid self-destructing dorito spinner and they might actually sell some that make it past 80,000mi on it's first engine. Come at me, RADL.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BloodBag posted:

Make it a PX-9 with a proper piston engine and not some stupid self-destructing dorito spinner and they might actually sell some that make it past 80,000mi on it's first engine. Come at me, RADL.

Everyone likes to joke about brown manual transmission diesel wagons but the eternal want-but-don't-buy vehicle is always a rotary Mazda.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wargames posted:

Why is it so heavy, and where the gently caress is my OPEL GT gm?

2900lbs. Is pretty drat good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BloodBag posted:

Yup. RWD 2+2 with the turbo Skyactiv 2.5 would be so much smarter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Airbag laws and crash standards basically mean it's going to have to be at least 20-30% larger than the miata. Probably close to the mustang. 230hp wouldn't be enough.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The 2.5T in the CX-9 is tuned for torque over revs, and puts out 310 ftlbs (and 250hp on premium gas.) I'd imagine in a performance application at least 300hp would be very doable.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The 2.5T in the CX-9 is tuned for torque over revs, and puts out 310 ftlbs (and 250hp on premium gas.) I'd imagine in a performance application at least 300hp would be very doable.

Well no one's gonna pay $79k for 300hp.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

davebo posted:

I was about 5 when the NSX came out but I very clearly remember going to look at a green one with my dad and because of the $ and HP factor he ended up with a '93 ZR1 instead.

Of course I like to remind him that he could have basically made his money back on an NSX by now but man that ZR1 could move

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
There's a window of opportunity that may be closing soon for Japanese manufacturers to cash in on 90's nostalgia. There are plenty of people that grew up idolizing the RX-7/Supra/3000GT/300ZX that now have money.

Mazda won't even make a Mazdaspeed 3 even though it's staring them in the face. Why would they go out on such a limb and make a new rotary car? Look I like rotaries as much as the next disfunctional enthusiast but no one is paying 80K for that poo poo. Not in a world with GT350s and C7 Grand Sports.

Also these rumors are dumb and I suspect people are getting tired of hearing about things that never come to fruition. Also I'd buy one tomorrow because I'm a sucker.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Also I'd buy one tomorrow because I'm a sucker.

I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing that I would prefer over a rotary - and if Mazda dug deep and went with the rotary goes "mmmmmmm", would be a turbine. It still laterally fits the rotary ethos of rotational energy only and Jag had a lot of positive response with the first revision of the C-X75 concept.

How's the Mazda 2 / Demio rotary hybrid doing anyways? http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/stories/rotary/newera/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Has anyone posted that new Jaguar SUV thing? I saw one yesterday at the grocery store and I thought it looked pretty nice in person. Porsche could take a lesson from Jaguar on how to put a sports car's "face" on a truck, because they succeeded where the Cayenne and Macan continue to fail.

I just looked up the name, I thought they called it Pee-Face :ughh:
http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-pace/index.html

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

BloodBag posted:

Has anyone posted that new Jaguar SUV thing? I saw one yesterday at the grocery store and I thought it looked pretty nice in person. Porsche could take a lesson from Jaguar on how to put a sports car's "face" on a truck, because they succeeded where the Cayenne and Macan continue to fail.

I just looked up the name, I thought they called it Pee-Face :ughh:
http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-pace/index.html

Haven't seen one in person yet but the pictures sure make it look good. It doesn't really come as a surprise though because jag has the best styling in the industry right now IMO.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have seen one in person. Not my cup of absinthe, but its a really nice looking box with wheels. Too bad about the gently caress-dumb name.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Hasn't the rotary nearly bankrupted Mazda like twice now? If they were actually trying to make a new one (I can't believe this rumor) the company is basically an addict.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Given Cayenne and Macan sales vs cost of production I don't think Porsche failed at all

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Network42 posted:

Hasn't the rotary nearly bankrupted Mazda like twice now? If they were actually trying to make a new one (I can't believe this rumor) the company is basically an addict.

Many atrocities have been committed in the name of "tradition," and this is one of them.

davebo posted:

I think aiming for something that kind of fits performance wise in the Cayman S, base 911, M2, F-Type world starting at around $50k is their best bet, and totally within reach if they just lay off the rotary :catdrugs:. If they go for an NSX style six-figure rotary moonshot they're going to kill themselves in the process.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Many atrocities have been committed in the name of "tradition," and this is one of them.
Waitwaitwait did I just read an AI post saying Mazda rotaries are an atrocity

:stare:

:suspense:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In that the dorito motor has nearly bankrupted the company that has given us excellent cars like the Miata and Mazda3, yes, I think that's an appropriate term.

Don't get me wrong, I think rotaries are cool, but would you rather have a rotary from a defunct company, or a MX5 RF from a company that continues to be profitable?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd rather have *insert fun thing here* from a company that an afford it, even if that involves funding fun poo poo with squidgy volume sellers. Take Toyota... there isn't a thing wrong with the Camry except that it's boring as all gently caress and they don't bother making anything fun to compensate for it. ...ok there is the Toyobaru but it's neither entirely theirs nor terribly fast so I'd say my point stands.

...I guess that means I have to tolerate Mazda trying to make everything passably fun even if they can't afford to build legends.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 28, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Maybe they've fixed the rotary?? Laser ignition or something idk

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thats pretty awesome that the new turbo powerplant out of the CX-9 fits in both the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6. Whats that? Mazda is too cash strapped to gently caress with mazdaspeed variants right now? Ah ok, thats cool. Id rather see them play it safe and then eventually maybe someday make a new mazdaspeed. Good for them though, not wasting their time on some dumb side project.

And then I see Rx-9 rumors :ohdear:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Mazda won't even make a Mazdaspeed 3 even though it's staring them in the face.

To be fair, a new MS3 wouldn't be so much different than the Focus ST. It would also be crazy expensive, the Mazda3 can push high 20s right now, so a MS3 would likely be close to 30k.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

oRenj9 posted:

To be fair, a new MS3 wouldn't be so much different than the Focus ST. It would also be crazy expensive, the Mazda3 can push high 20s right now, so a MS3 would likely be close to 30k.

So same as the original MS3 to the original Focus ST then - basically better styling and a much better interior

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

poo poo, they'd have had a proper Mazdaspeed MX-5 if they'd have put the MS3 engine in the NC miata. But no, let's make that gently caress-ugly RX-8 and not make a MSM to compete with it. I seem to recall some bullshit excuse like the injector pump would hit the firewall or somesuch. God forbid, when they made all their cars look like gomer pyle with that disgusting looking grin, that they re-tool the firewall stampings. Also RX-8 flares. RX-8 flares across the model lineup. I'm surprised the company survived that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Haven't seen one in person yet but the pictures sure make it look good. It doesn't really come as a surprise though because jag has the best styling in the industry right now IMO.

I dunno, Jag Land Rover have research buildings where I work and they recently had a bunch of SUV things sat outside so their teams could sit in them all and take notes on what each manufacturer is doing. Out of the lot, the Volvo XC90 looked the best, a very clean design on that...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The RX-8 was a good car with a bad engine. Like are we seriously going to say the RX-8 was a bad driving car? Because that is a lie. It was pretty ugly until the last years of it's life though.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Which car uglified the most over its production run? The Countach and E-Type must be leading contenders.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

88h88 posted:

I dunno, Jag Land Rover have research buildings where I work and they recently had a bunch of SUV things sat outside so their teams could sit in them all and take notes on what each manufacturer is doing. Out of the lot, the Volvo XC90 looked the best, a very clean design on that...

I meant styling over the whole brand. Volvo has some winners but between the F-Type and the XF modern Jags are just downright beautiful.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whiz Palace posted:

Which car uglified the most over its production run? The Countach and E-Type must be leading contenders.

The last American Countaches are horrendous.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Whiz Palace posted:

third gen firebird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

BMW 3 series