Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Still looking for the one where the glitch is executed, but here is the outcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHlTtBy8R8

Edit: Found it!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4CnNfLiiI

Recently discovered that the best glitch in Dead Space 2 is easily recreatable in 3, so I've been having lots of fun with it.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does anyone have the video of the Dead Space glitch where you throw a grenade immediately before a cutscene, which then plays out as normal except with the player's torso completely gone?

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Hx043D_0E

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Morrowind wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun without the triple whammy of 1) fall damage, 2) acrobatics skill affecting the cutoff for falling without damage, and 3) custom spells and enchantments. :getin:

That's not as bad as Oblivion, where low level characters can die by running down a steep slope.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Gynovore posted:

That's not as bad as Oblivion, where low level characters can die by running down a steep slope.

Or Skyrim, where running into a cart full of cabbages makes it go off like a bomb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jedrick posted:

Or Skyrim, where running into a cart full of cabbages makes it go off like a bomb.

I love the murder physics in skyrim. I died in a dude's house once because I ran too fast and his kitchen just exploded and a dozen plates and sweet rolls just murdered my character.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's so bizarre to me how they never quite got it to work that you pick up something up off the table and everything a foot away jumps.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's so bizarre to me how they never quite got it to work that you pick up something up off the table and everything a foot away jumps.
I've been playing a skyrim mod recently and I'm not sure if it's something the mod did, but there's a decent chance that everything anywhere near a door while go flying all over the place when I open it.

Like including ones to leave a house/shop.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

In some places the items aren't ever actually on the surface, they're hovering like a millimeter above the table or whatever so when you take a fork every other item will just freak out and fall, bounce and physics around. It's really annoying in some locations because you'll enter a loading door, and then every object will drop that tiny distance and promptly roll through the world where you can never reach it again. And gently caress you because that happened to be the one item you needed to steal for a quest line and you can still see a tiny bit of it, but you can't physically touch it without using console commands.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I actually got permanently locked out of several of my houses because my cabbage rooms exploded and any time I tried to enter one the game would either kill me with cabbage physics or crash outright.

But that's not so much a glitch as it is a Bethesda game being a Bethesda game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I actually got permanently locked out of several of my houses because my cabbage rooms exploded and any time I tried to enter one the game would either kill me with cabbage physics or crash outright.

This is unironically why I love Bethesda games :allears: Garbage writing, so-so gameplay but holy poo poo the exploitability and glitches.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite Bethesda physics was when I was playing a heavily modded Oblivion, which included Midas Magic, a massive and awesome magic mod. My favorite spell in that was Astral Combat, which would teleport you and your target to a cell that was just a small floating island; you'd go back to where you were by jumping off, so the idea was that you'd vanish with one enemy, handle them one on one, and then go back to the action.

Since it was always the same cell, and that cell was actually a 'base' of sorts for the mod, I started taking enemies' weapons and shields when they died there and just piling them up on a corner of the island. Those items persisted, and I used Astral Combat a lot, so that pile got pretty big. Eventually though, one of the shields flipped out, sending most of the pile flying off into nothingness.

It was actually pretty awesome, but I remember being pissed at the time. I liked that pile!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

This is unironically why I love Bethesda games :allears: Garbage writing, so-so gameplay but holy poo poo the exploitability and glitches.

It's also why I hate bethesda games because if any other game had these kind of glitches people would be rating them 0 and trying to burn the devs for charging more than five dollars.

That being said my personal favorite glitch is when mammoths spawn hundreds of feet in the air and the plains of skyrim are just filled with free falling mammoths. And it is always, and only, mammoths.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

It's also why I hate bethesda games because if any other game had these kind of glitches people would be rating them 0 and trying to burn the devs for charging more than five dollars.

See, that's the charm though. It's absurd how popular Bethesda games are because by modern standards they're a piece of crap! I'm not sure what the average person gets from those games, but as a person who absolutely loves the nitty-gritty of games and their engines, Bethesda games are a treasure. With the tons of weird glitches, ease of moddability, easily-accessible (and much needed) console, free wall-walking and god-mode they're a "behind-the-scenes" dream. I don't really think that's their intention, but it's working!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bethesda games mostly survive on being mod friendly, which is becoming increasingly uncommon :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the new deus ex there's typical security guards that patrol this large building. If you knock them out they always have about 8 handgun bullets on them you can loot. I think the game somehow loaded the wrong thing on one of them though, because he had 8 beers instead :psyduck:

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Aug 27, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Digirat posted:

In the new deus ex there's typical security guards that patrol this large building. If you knock them out they always have about 8 handgun bullets on them you can loot. I think the game somehow loaded the wrong thing on one of them though, because he had 8 beers instead :psyduck:

Look man its been a long shift.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure the tranquilizer gun was necessary

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Digirat posted:

Luckily I was able to non-lethally subdue this police officer, who is asleep and was not murdered:

Pro-Tip: In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, buy every available arm strength upgrade as soon as possible. This allows you to rocket corpses not dead people three blocks away into a crowd of bystanders/police with plenty of time to pick out a safe viewing balcony.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

Also he was already knocked out when I got there, it's the darndest thing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwiSp95SN_Q

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

To put on my nerdy game dev hat for a second, the reason this happens is that physics is really hard and incredibly resource-intensive and Bethesda have a lot on their plate with every gargantuan game they try to make. So, most things don't actually have physics applied to them until something they're near to changes. If you pick up a thing off a table, that means that 'the table' changes, so everything that's theoretically on 'the table' has to suddenly run physics (because the thing you picked up might have been supporting it at an angle, for example), and everything attached to that has to run physics, and so on. This will continue to update until friction kills the motion enough that the game says "right, kill the physics until something around here changes again."

The thing is, they place the objects for how they look static, rather than for agreeing with their physics engine, because in addition to being inexorably ambitious Bethesda is also a pack of Alzheimer's-ridden goldfish when it comes to remembering whether this worked last time. Colliders tend to be built generous and simple, because if a thing clips it looks worse than if it kinda bounces a bit early, or rests a little bit high. So if a thing is too low and therefore its collider is technically intersecting the table (like a lot of silverware seems to be), it'll be pushed up when the table tells it to update. This is what causes the floating.

Now the obvious things they could do are 1. stop worrying about clipping so drat much or 2. force the designers to run physics on their item placements until it resolves before allowing that placement to be shipped out, but... it's Bethesda. They don't need to.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
And also physics engines do
"oh no, items A and B intersect! If I move item A here and item B here, they are no longer intersect."
*next frame*
"Oh, I guess item A is moving to this direction (the moon) at this speed (escape velocity), so let's keep it moving into that direction"
*a few frames pass, item A hits the player character, player character is killed*

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I enjoy the physics glitches because one time I jumped on a table and a plate ricocheted me through the wall into a white void. Then I fell in front of my door.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

UNLEASH THE MADDEN https://twitter.com/NFLRT/status/769163060166746113 https://twitter.com/lukezim/status/769673484024721408

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

How does a 20+ year franchise get something this simple so incredibly wrong? Wowzers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
paging jon bois :stare:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

theshim posted:

paging jon bois :stare:

I was just about to mention him.

If you haven't go read/watch all of Breaking Madden right now. http://www.sbnation.com/breaking-madden I know next to nothing about sports and give little to no fucks about it but Breaking Madden is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I was nearly in tears at a few points.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tracula posted:

If you haven't go read/watch all of Breaking Madden right now. http://www.sbnation.com/breaking-madden I know next to nothing about sports and give little to no fucks about it but Breaking Madden is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I was nearly in tears at a few points.

Clarence Beeftank is my favorite football player.

As for the bugs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot . There may not be any one part of Madden that's literally 20 years old (especially considering the number of platforms it's gone through) but any project that undergoes continuous development for that length of time becomes a sort of software ship of Theseus and develops weird behavior there's no direct explanation for.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Is this anything like the Death of Basketball?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Who What Now posted:

Oh my god I had forgotten about that :allears:
To answer your question though. Yes. So very, very yes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Who What Now posted:

The Death of Basketball might be the finest piece he's ever written, but if it is, it is only just barely so.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

What's going on in these for someone who doesn't know anything about American Football?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The game is letting teams score in their own goals, essentially.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
DID SOMEBODY SAY "OWN GOAL"

https://youtu.be/tafCE6GJrhQ

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tarezax posted:

I knew it was going to be this video before I even clicked on it. Simply fantastic.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Digirat posted:

Just do the roll when you hit the ground and the fall damage becomes perfectly reasonable in Witcher 3

Huh I didn't actually think of trying that :v:

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Scrolls of Icarian Flight were honestly a hilarious gotcha.

Couldn't you survive them if you managed to pop a second one right on landing ?

Gorilla Salad posted:

PYF Funniest Game Glitch : my cabbage rooms exploded

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Fathis Munk posted:

Couldn't you survive them if you managed to pop a second one right on landing ?

Absolutely!

There were three of them.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah I remember there were 3, that's still one good jump :v:

I used them all the time on the god mode runs I did when I was younger, it made my PC chug so so bad.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Tarezax posted:

Thanks for this, that was awesome. Really gets odd about 7min in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah I remember there were 3, that's still one good jump :v:

I used them all the time on the god mode runs I did when I was younger, it made my PC chug so so bad.

They're instrumental in most speed runs of the game, it's great.