Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The same model was used also in Poland and elsewhere, but universally it was... Problematic. There were always scammers, and even in more successful countries the losses incurred by common citizens went into the billions. The idea was to give everybody a chance to invest into select national corporations (not all businesses were offered in exchange for vouchers), but people were gullible, and often put their vouchers into mutual funds schemes whose managers took off with their money. Nowadays it's one of the privatization methods that the World Bank advises against.
I don't think it was ever used in Poland, which is why I was curious about it. I remember reading some economic papers that cited it as a factor in the Czech Republic being the success story among the EE post-communist countries, so I was wondering if there are any estimates on how many people actually kept their vouchers away from the scammers.
The best part is that one of the greatest Polish heroes, Jan Karski, used the phrase himself in his first reports about the camps, and would get 5 years were he still alive (since the law now also works retroactively for some reason?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pizdec posted:

I don't think it was ever used in Poland, which is why I was curious about it. I remember reading some economic papers that cited it as a factor in the Czech Republic being the success story among the EE post-communist countries, so I was wondering if there are any estimates on how many people actually kept their vouchers away from the scammers.

Supposedly the Czech reformists were inspired by Polish Solidarnosc plans, I don't know if those actually left the drawing board.

I'd say most people managed to either keep their stock, or sell off their vouchers successfully, but still - the people who actually became stockholders usually didn't really benefit from it because it's not like they were educated about the workings of the stock market. I'd wager most people just kept their shares locked up til they decided to get rid of them at an arbitrary time for some quick cash.

On the other hand, it also produced some of the current billionaires, but the same can be said about any lottery.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 25, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe what they mean is that Obama or Hillary won't be arrested the next time they mention Polish death camps. Cause trying to kidnap POTUS, while he/she is on a visit in Poland, is something that I can totally see PiS doing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like costco's polish hotdogs.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Friendly Humour posted:

Well, quite a number of Poles participated in atrocities, even if the camps themselves were run by the SS so I guess that's a bit of a problem

Not in the camps, though. The Poles were murdered in the death camps just like the Jews were. In fact, Auschwitz took in Poles before it started taking in Jews (although it had not become a full-fledged extermination camp until Birkenau was added).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are dickheads and assholes everywhere you go but I think it's an important distinction that the extermination camps were run by the Nazis and not the Polish government, which was in exile at the time anyway.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tevery Best posted:

Not in the camps, though. The Poles were murdered in the death camps just like the Jews were. In fact, Auschwitz took in Poles before it started taking in Jews (although it had not become a full-fledged extermination camp until Birkenau was added).

That's what I said? Anyway, understandably this is a bit of a touchy subject, but is Polish acquiescence (or the complicity of some groups of individuals) to the Holocaust addressed in Polish history classes in any way?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Friendly Humour posted:

That's what I said? Anyway, understandably this is a bit of a touchy subject, but is Polish acquiescence (or the complicity of some groups of individuals) to the Holocaust addressed in Polish history classes in any way?

That's a lovely way to frame it friend. I don't mean to come off as a PiSman but acquiescence, really? Its not like the Poles were given the choice to acquiesce or not, we were occupied and faced death for opposing the Germans as well as aiding or sheltering Jews, which many did despite the risks. There was of course collaboration with the Nazis on the part of some Poles, but also some Jews. To actually answer your question though, no, not under the current government certainly, and I don't think under any of the previous ones either. Poland is universally portrayed as purely a victim of aggression and occupation and the resistance fighters are held up as heroes (which they were, thanks gramps).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a Polish Jewish holocaust survivor speak at my middle school when I was a wee lad, guy by the name of David Faber if you want to look him up. He was very bitter about how the Poles did absolutely nothing to help the Jews. It's important to remember the holocaust was the worst in Poland, and that wasn't just because it was the first nation occupied. The Poles may not have helped the Nazis, but they sure as poo poo didn't help the Jews.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I had a Polish Jewish holocaust survivor speak at my middle school when I was a wee lad, guy by the name of David Faber if you want to look him up. He was very bitter about how the Poles did absolutely nothing to help the Jews. It's important to remember the holocaust was the worst in Poland, and that wasn't just because it was the first nation occupied. The Poles may not have helped the Nazis, but they sure as poo poo didn't help the Jews.

A lot of Poles were hostile to Jews before WWII even happened and some took the war as an opportunity to act against Jews, but its not as black and white as you say. If you look at the Righteous Among Nations, the awards Israel gives out for those who helped Jews escape death during WWII, Poland has over 6800 Righteous, over 1100 more than the next nearest nation. Its hard to pigeonhole 30 million people.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

A White Guy posted:

uh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Righteous_Among_the_Nations

Wikipedia posted:

The citizens of Poland have the world's highest count of individuals who have been recognized by Yad Vashem as Righteous Among the Nations for saving Jews from extermination during the Holocaust in World War II. There are 6,620 Polish men and women recognized as Righteous to this day, over a quarter of the total number of 26,120[1] awards.

It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of Poles concealed and aided hundreds of thousands of their Polish-Jewish neighbors.[2][3] Many of these initiatives were carried out by individuals, but there also existed organized networks of Polish resistance which were dedicated to aiding Jews – most notably, the Żegota organization.
Not denying the pogroms, the collaboration, all the other awful poo poo, and even that some of those who helped the Jews did so for material rather than altruistic reasons, but you may take a little less one-sided view there.

e: beaten like a Jew in Pilsudzkiland

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A White Guy posted:

It's never good painting a whole population for the acts of some.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Guys, look at the public outrage that happened in 1968 when streets were filled with people protesting the forced "one way ticket to Israel" policy for the reminder of the Jews that were still in Poland.

Oh wait, nothing like that happened.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
So, err. I'd say Russia is successfully spinning media around their pinky again but anyway:

(Wall Street Journal was behind paywall, no English links, sorry.)

Putin has ordered the southern military district and several other units into full combat readiness and they should have been so since 7 am today. The district is responsible of, for instance, Ukraine and Caucasus. According to the Minister of Defense, it's a large-scale training meant to test their capabilities and combat readiness. Currently the forces are receiving their equipment, weaponry and ammunition and are organizing columns in order to move to railway stations and airports. Western and central districts are being tested in their ability to support "strategic action towards south-west".

The training is supposed to end in the end of August.

Whee.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It's been a week of anniversaries for former Soviet Republics declaring independence from the Soviet Union. Yesterday was Ukraine, today is Belarus.

Yesterday there were parades in Ukraine. Today in Belarus it's a regular Thursday.

Bonus video of Batka and Prince Joffrey spending a day with Steven Seagal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISmlj7goAI

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There must be a point when even Lukashenko realizes that he's embarrassing himself by being seen with that loser. I can understand Depardieu, but why the gently caress Seagal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What the gently caress

http://time.com/4462987/kalashnikov-souvenir-shop-moscow-airport/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yes Russian

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia news: there was recently a "tractor march" by some regional farmers to Moscow (to let the Tzar know about local boyars corruption) that it broken up by law enforcement. Now its leader is being held on charges of "extremism".

https://meduza.io/news/2016/08/26/organizatora-probega-na-traktorah-zapodozrili-v-ekstremizme

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Russia news: there was recently a "tractor march" by some regional farmers to Moscow (to let the Tzar know about local boyars corruption) that it broken up by law enforcement. Now its leader is being held on charges of "extremism".

https://meduza.io/news/2016/08/26/organizatora-probega-na-traktorah-zapodozrili-v-ekstremizme

EXTREME TRACTORS

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

chitoryu12 posted:

EXTREME TRACTORS

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

...and Saturday.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Poor, poor Germany.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160826/eastern-europe-pushes-germany-for-joint-eu-army

quote:

Eastern EU countries on Friday pushed for the bloc to create a joint army as they met with Germany for talks on sketching Europe's post-Brexit future.

"We must prioritise security, and let's start by building a common European army," Hungary's rightwing prime minister, Viktor Orban, said at talks with Czech, German, Polish and Slovak leaders.

The five-nation gathering in Warsaw is part of a string of meetings among various groups of countries ahead of a summit on the EU's future following the June 23 British referendum.

Leftist Czech Premier Bohuslav Sobotka, for his part, said that "we should also begin a discussion about creating a common European army."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel also supported the idea of stronger security but urged caution on how plans were translated into acts.

"Security is a fundamental issue... we can do more together in the areas of security and defence," she said.

"Brexit is not just any event, it's a breaking point in the history of EU so we need to work out a very careful response," Merkel added, according to the official English translation of her words.

In an early response to Britain's shock vote to exit the EU, Poland's powerful rightwing leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski called for EU institutional reforms that would forge a confederation of nation states under a president in charge of a powerful common military.

Challenge to EU

However, the concept of a common army is a thorny issue within the European Union (EU).

All five EU countries at Friday's Warsaw talks are also members of the 28-member NATO Western defence alliance.

But six of the EU's 27 post-Brexit membership do not belong to NATO: Austria, Cyprus, Finland, Ireland, Malta and Sweden.

EU and NATO ties with Russia plunged to their lowest point since the Cold War after Moscow's 2014 annexation of the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine.

The Kremlin's sabre-rattling in the Baltic region has also spooked NATO and EU members there.

EU leaders from 27 states meet on September 16 in the Slovak capital of Bratislava for an informal summit that will go ahead without Britain.

Talks are likely to be challenging as Berlin's preferred vision of a centralised, federal Europe clashes with proposals for a confederation of nation states popular among leaders of eastern EU members.

Migration policy is another highly controversial issue on the agenda, with eastern members the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia refusing to take in refugees under an EU-wide quota system championed by Berlin.

Merkel insisted on Friday that remaining members must focus on strengthening the bloc through boosting the economy and "finding common ground" despite divisions over issues like migration policy.

"People will only accept Europe if it will ensure their (economic) wellbeing. We must be leaders in the area of technology. We want to offer well-paid jobs. We have a lot to do," Merkel added.

Poland on Friday urged leaders to focus on economic growth and address a perceived lack of democracy in European institutions.

Rightwing Prime Minister Beata Szydlo urged "reforms that Europeans expect allowing the European Union to become a stronger, development-oriented EU - but above all for Europeans to feel they are in charge of the European Union."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anos posted:

So, what's up with that 6 million figure? Why do you hate non-Jews that were murdered in Polish death camps?

Don't question that figure. It's against the law in several countries because questions/research on it equal holocaust denial.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/polizeiberlin/status/769197889532882945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Soviet bomb found in Berlin.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

All those slavs are literally begging for german tanks driving across their vast fields, to counter the machinations of the nefarious russians, but noooo, the Chancellor wants achieve a peaceful economic victory instead. Time to restart Hearts of Iron, I wanted a fun game.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Or as the Germans call it, Friday.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rincewinds posted:

All those slavs are literally begging for german tanks driving across their vast fields, to counter the machinations of the nefarious russians, but noooo, the Chancellor wants achieve a peaceful economic victory instead. Time to restart Hearts of Iron, I wanted a fun game.

HOI? Are you suggesting Merkel should invade Scotland?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

HOI? Are you suggesting Merkel should invade Scotland?

Supporting a revolution seems like less work. The faction already has close to 50% support...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Would it be very difficult for an ISIS cell to dig up UED and utilize it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Depends on how muscular they are.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Wow am I reading this wrong or did BRexit actually make the EU stronger by eliminating the people who are opposed to what it seeks to do from the running?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

neoliberal posted:

Wow am I reading this wrong or did BRexit actually make the EU stronger by eliminating the people who are opposed to what it seeks to do from the running?

There's no inherent central power in the current EU. It all depends on how elected national governments interact, and find an equilibrium of their interests. It's worth noting that the original guy responsible for initiating reforms towards common European defense policy was Tony Blair - so it's not like Britain was a dead weight that got tossed away.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

LeoMarr posted:

I think anyone who's mad enough to dig up and start shaking around an unexploded piece of ordnance from WW2 should just skip the bullshit and cut into the warhead to get at the explosive. They'll also need to be muscular as gently caress because a lot of unexploded ordnance tends to be aircraft bombs that can weigh upwards of 500kg.

Though, fun fact: a lot of the IEDs encountered in Afghanistan were unexploded Soviet artillery shells that someone had rigged up with a remote detonator.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

I spent years in the ME dealing with IED's and stuff and I'd say not really? I mean, after all that time, if the case stayed intact protecting the explosive, it would be far less effective than some stuff you could make at home.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You would be rich if you ever found a way to reliably detect unexploded ordinance from WW2.

Why would you ever want to join some lame death cult, if you could be rich instead?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LeoMarr posted:

Don't give them ideas. Now some ISIS cell is going to dig up that 22 ton bomb sitting under a barn in Belgium. That's enough to level the European Parliament and directly kill more people than died during the 9/11 attacks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't give them ideas. Now some ISIS cell is going to dig up that 22 ton bomb sitting under a barn in Belgium. That's enough to level the European Parliament and directly kill more people than died during the 9/11 attacks.

Oh come on. First, its 10 tonnes (because the Grand Slam Blockbusters only got to 22,000 lbs, so its long tons and not short "tonnes"). Secondly, all thatshit ain't gonna be under no barn, its going to be offshore I. The North Sea (or whatever the Belgian. Coast is called).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Young Freud posted:

Oh come on. First, its 10 tonnes (because the Grand Slam Blockbusters only got to 22,000 lbs, so its long tons and not short "tonnes"). Secondly, all thatshit ain't gonna be under no barn, its going to be offshore I. The North Sea (or whatever the Belgian. Coast is called).
I'm talking about a 50,000 lbs mine the British dug under the German lines during WW1, not WW2 ordnance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to interrupt your wester Europe bomb chat, but here's an older article on racism in Ukraine and EE that I just came across. https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.7ea9f8cc55ea

It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's very racist, but what's still shocking is just how open people are about it. Being sufficiently white I never experienced it obviously, but also never really saw it happen to others, almost certainly because there are just that few black people anywhere.

As terrible as all that is, the author seems to think there's a positive side to it, in that people are at least open to a conversation about it and don't immediately go into denying everything so there's a chance of making some progress at least. Which makes sense to some degree I think, but would probably take forever with so few foreigners around.