Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I'm surprised they entirely cut multi-shard champions. :confused:

I think that just depends on the set design. Armies of Myth and Primal Dawn were both designed around specific 2-shard combinations. This one is probably more open-ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cousin.avi
Oct 1, 2005

I know it was mentioned a few pages ago but if anyone is looking to grind up the ladder before the end of season 1, this Yotul deck that was posted on hextcg.com is a really good way to do it. I've ridden it from the absolute to bottom of bronze up to T5 gold and will probably try and climb a bit higher. The best part is, if you're a poor bastard the most expensive main deck cards are easily swapped and don't kill the deck since all the main components are common and uncommon.

You'll probably get some comments when people see you're playing it but for the price, it is that good. I mean, I don't feel too bad when I see people playing 150+ card decks in silver or get matched up with a dude who was gold tier playing one of the tier 1 Heirophant decks. And it's gotten me playing more Hex in one sitting then I have in a long time. It's making me actually want to get back into the campaign and round out my collection some more.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MiddleOne posted:

I'm surprised they entirely cut multi-shard champions. :confused:

They didn't. All champions will be available until set 6 (at which point the set 1 and 2 champions will rotate out). Most likely set 6 will have a high number of multi-shard champions. I wouldn't be surprised if we got our first tri-shard champions, even, since they're pushing the ardent vs underworld thing with specific three shard combos.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

PTR download is up. No full spoiler yet but the gamedata file has all the new cards if you want to see them before tomorrow.

edit: new dragon has a keyword called Lifebound but I can't remember where they store rules text so I have no idea what it does.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Phoix posted:

PTR download is up. No full spoiler yet but the gamedata file has all the new cards if you want to see them before tomorrow.

edit: new dragon has a keyword called Lifebound but I can't remember where they store rules text so I have no idea what it does.

Lifebound is a set 6 effect on a set 5 card. According to the lead designer for set 5, it's "At the start of your turn, if you control a troop with Lifebound, put all troops with Lifebound from your crypt into play".

Also, where are you finding the set 5 cards in the data files? I can't find any of them in Gamedata or the localisation files.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Zurai posted:

Lifebound is a set 6 effect on a set 5 card. According to the lead designer for set 5, it's "At the start of your turn, if you control a troop with Lifebound, put all troops with Lifebound from your crypt into play".

Also, where are you finding the set 5 cards in the data files? I can't find any of them in Gamedata or the localisation files.

I'm just pulling from the normal PTR gamedata~ file. I do wonder if it's all accurate though because this card doesn't even seem real - 1 resource 1 sapphire threshold "Interrupt target quick card. Create a Turreted Wall and put it into play. Then, it gets +1[ATK]." I guess it follows the theme of set 5 cards being bonkers. :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Phoix posted:

I'm just pulling from the normal PTR gamedata~ file. I do wonder if it's all accurate though because this card doesn't even seem real - 1 resource 1 sapphire threshold "Interrupt target quick card. Create a Turreted Wall and put it into play. Then, it gets +1[ATK]." I guess it follows the theme of set 5 cards being bonkers. :v:

That's really, really weird (both the card and the fact that I can't find that anywhere in my PTR gamedata~ file). EDIT: Nevermind, copying the gamedata~ file out of the zip it's in fixed it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 23, 2016

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a PvE card from a Set 5 chest or something?

Anyway all these spoilers have been great fun over the last few weeks, looking forward to actually playing with some of these cards soon and then catching em all once we have an actual release date

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Phoix posted:

Does it say what the rarity is supposed to be? It could be one of those cards that are only available to AI decks, if it's real. Do we know if they're updating any of the PvE stuff in the new patch? Alternately, it could be a card created by another card, like the powers of Zakiir. Or it could be nothing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or we severely underestimated just how much they hated Yotul.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Actually I'm pretty sure that's an equipment effect. I think there's a card which says "Interrupt target quick card" -- at least, I found that text separately from the other -- and it has equipment which changes that to "Interrupt target quick card. Put a Turreted Wall into play. It gets +1 Attack."

I also found several other examples of things I'm about 99% sure are equipment-altered game text mixed in with all the actual game text.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

I also found several other examples of things I'm about 99% sure are equipment-altered game text mixed in with all the actual game text.

It would make sense from a programming standpoint. It'd just be one if-statement per item.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, it's an equipment effect. I think they changed the way they formatted this stuff because I don't remember it being included in the default card text with prior sets.

quote:

"m_Type" : "Equipment",
"m_Description" : "Your <b>Halts</b> have, \"Create a <b>Turreted Wall</b> and put it into play. Then, it gets +1[ATK].

So you don't have to worry about 1 mana Turreted Walls, instead you get to worry about this disgusting thing that I'm sure everyone has seen but no one posted in the thread yet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phoix posted:

Yeah, it's an equipment effect. I think they changed the way they formatted this stuff because I don't remember it being included in the default card text with prior sets.

So you don't have to worry about 1 mana Turreted Walls, instead you get to worry about this disgusting thing that I'm sure everyone has seen but no one posted in the thread yet.

What?

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

It's a Ruby Verdict of the Ancient Kings that only counters actions, puts the card in your crypt, and lets you use the action against your opponent if it's a quick action and you have the resources open to play it on the turn you countered it.

Seems like a very good reserves card, but don't expect it to see much main deck play due to the specialized nature of the card.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It says "at the end of your turn", so if you use it on your opponents turn you still have your next turn to use it I believe. Also think that makes it ok against basic actions.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Good news, everyone!

All the spider-haters can come back to the game now.

God of Evil Cows posted:

It's a Ruby Verdict of the Ancient Kings that only counters actions, puts the card in your crypt, and lets you use the action against your opponent if it's a quick action and you have the resources open to play it on the turn you countered it.

Seems like a very good reserves card, but don't expect it to see much main deck play due to the specialized nature of the card.

If you use it to interrupt a card on your opponent's turn, you still don't have to discard it until the end of your turn. It's crazy good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It only affects actions, though. It's virtually useless against midrange decks, insane against burn decks, and a very restricted Verdict with occasional upside against control decks. It's pretty much the definition of a reserves card.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason I came here:

:siren:

Full? Herofall spoilers

:siren:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Is EVO going to be fun at all without Uzzu?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

Is EVO going to be fun at all without Uzzu?

It's gonna be fun if you like cracking tons of packs in a short period of time :D

I was really impressed with the PTR, there were some card bugs but nothing heinous - I hope we get a release date soon but on the other hand it still feels to me like Set 4 only came out pretty recently; I haven't even got a copy of the full set yet, never mind a playset

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thoom posted:

Good news, everyone!

All the spider-haters can come back to the game now

And there was much rejoicing

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

I took a bit of a break from constructed Hex and came back to discover that the Kagulichu deck I cobbled together a month ago despite having no VKs and only 2 hierophants is still kicking rear end and taking names, and seems like it can still handle any deck in the current meta with a bit of skill and luck.

Rotten Kagulichu posted:

Champion: Kagulichu

Troops (25)
4 Cottontail Explorer
2 Rune Ear Hierophant
2 Artisanal Cheesesmythe
4 The Killipede
1 Freak of Nature
3 Wrathwood Master Moss
1 Jadiim
3 Crocosaur
3 Balthasar
1 Syyn, Etherdrake Nomad
1 Uruunaz

Actions (11)
4 Chlorophyllia
3 Extinction
2 Rise Again
2 Rotten Rancor

Resources (24)
11 Wild Shard
4 Shard of Ancients
9 Blood Shard

RESERVES (15)
2 Withering Touch
2 Lullaby
3 Carnasaurus
2 Kill
1 Closed Coffins
1 Extinction
1 Succulent Cluckodon
2 Chomposaur
1 Filk Ape

My inner Johnny cried so much when I had to cut the second copy of my favorite underused tech (Filk Ape) out of the reserves for the more practical withering touch to combat counter-based decks and fog decks. Cutting a second Cluckodon for the second touch was done with a bit less remorse because I still had life gain from the Balthasars.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i just want to know when set five will be draftable, namaste all

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Set 5's release is apparently slated for September 7th, one week from today. Admittedly a lot quicker than I expected!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh, the most important part:

quote:

We would also like to make you aware that the first week of Ladder Season 2 is going to be played before the launch of Herofall. To accommodate this rather short transition time, we will grant you a booster pack of Herofall in addition to the Primal Dawn booster packs you would receive at the appropriate reward tiers. These booster packs will be granted retroactively after the release of Herofall.

:staredog:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

GaistHeidegger posted:

Set 5's release is apparently slated for September 7th, one week from today. Admittedly a lot quicker than I expected!

nice. time to reinstall

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Uh, the most important part:

:staredog:

It's kind of hilarious to see people in twitch chat complain about Hex only giving bonus packs the first week and complaining that they should give bonus packs the entire season.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thoom posted:

Good news, everyone!

All the spider-haters can come back to the game now.

If you use it to interrupt a card on your opponent's turn, you still don't have to discard it until the end of your turn. It's crazy good.

Were spiderling decks ever played much in construction? Needs to be a common so I can use it in draft :madmax:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I can't remember seeing a single spider card in the spoiler, so you wouldn't really care about it in draft.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Were spiderling decks ever played much in construction? Needs to be a common so I can use it in draft :madmax:

Terror mill (Azurefate + Phenteo) was pretty big in set 3, but did not make the transition to set 4 well. I know some people tried making competitive mono S spider decks in set 4, but I don't think those worked out either.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Most of the scary set 5 cards were gutted. :toot:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thank god that they gutted Rollicking Reveler.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Those changes are pretty good. The wild/ruby aggro deck was brutal on the PTR and would have absolutely ruined the format.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Zurai posted:

Those changes are pretty good. The wild/ruby aggro deck was brutal on the PTR and would have absolutely ruined the format.

Changing Dreamweaver Ancient from 4 cost to 5 is almost as much of a buff as it is a nerf since now it activates all those powerful 5+ cost effects in Wild's arsenal like Puck and Periwinkle.

Love the change to Reveler though, makes it a cool reserves card which is optionally playable maindeck instead of a 4x auto-include in any W/R deck.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea all those changes look pretty good actually. After seeing it on the PTR they probably could have taken it a step further with Marshal Josephina, maybe taking the life down to 21-22.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I never really got the Marshal Josephina hype. I always found myself wanting to run Two Tomahawks or Bishop Elijah in diamond decks. At 4 charges I don't think I'll ever be playing her.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
The ranked constructed rewards are great.

Now they just need to think outside the box and make PvE a completely different game that is fun to play.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That is never going to happen.

Until they play the Yugioh DS games.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It will probably happen around the same time they decide they can afford to alienate the MtG crowd and change the resource system to something that isn't garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

:homebrew:Selling .95 cent Herofall boosters!:homebrew:

More details in my SA Mart thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789137

• Locked thread