Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Motronic posted:

Welp, was just a matter of time before someone did this I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iba7kCnkFos

So many drones will be dragged to a watery grave now.

Should have gotten a weight on it and submitted it for record contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This is how you do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUZqOoAq4

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.
Shore fisherman here. I like to fish big water but it's daunting and difficult to find fish. Have any of you goons tried a castable fish finder? I love the idea but I'm not sold on the application.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some a y'all might get a kick out of these fish posters (click through)

They remind me of those "Salt/fresh water game fish of the $region" that every coastal vacation house bar and restaurant seems to have

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm not a great fisherman, probably not even a good one, but there are so many tiny Bluegill in my pond that as soon as you toss anything into the water there is a tiny Bluegill there to grab it. Out of 35 Bluegill caught here is a random sampler and the only one over 4":

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Well those are just adorable, how well do they keep in aquariums? I had a crawdad growing up for almost 2 years that I bought at an Asian market for like 50 cents.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That pond desperately needs a large mouth bass plant. They will grow big on all those guys and the blue gills will increase in average size as a defense mech and less competition for forage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
but you'll never hear a frog there again :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I would think even those blue gills could suck down tad poles.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

but you'll never hear a frog there again :(

I get plenty of frogs in my bluegill/lmb pond. If you want to really protect them, plant some cat tail and a native broad leaf water plant.

damug
Jun 21, 2004
I need some tips on good freshwater fishing holes for bass or trout within an hour drive of Seattle. I am moving that way from Florida next week and want to be able to wet some line as soon as I can get an in state fishing license.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

damug posted:

I need some tips on good freshwater fishing holes for bass or trout within an hour drive of Seattle. I am moving that way from Florida next week and want to be able to wet some line as soon as I can get an in state fishing license.

Which might be a while since the online sales system was hacked last week. (Actually it may be back up already, I am not sure)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah but you can fish for free until they fix it. Limits and other regs inforced.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Made it out on the St. Croix River for about 4 hours a couple days ago, trying for sturgeon.

We caught one, a 39 incher. Hopefully the bite picks up soon, I love fall river fishing! Hoping to beat my personal best sturgeon and walleye this year.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Had a little action fishing this week.

Nice little cod

Sculpin of some sort? He didn't make it.

And a nice halibut to finish the day off. 35-40#? I need to buy a scale, my harbor doesn't have one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Staghorn sculpin. Man those guys get around.

Nice flatty!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn I am so jealous of that halibut :bravo:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So Sunday is like the last day I will get to fish before maybe late October. At the very least it will be the last full day I can take. It's going to be in the 80's and muggy and likely the last day this warm for a while. I want to do one of two things:

1) Wade for smallies. The river might be too muddy, but if it's clear then it could be awesome. I have hand, between smallies and redbreasts, 100 fish days at this stretch and this fall has been awesome all around. This option is a further drive but is far less effort then option two.

2)Kayak for perch. This creek will be turbid, but the fishing has been just insane of late. Fat white perch where ever you seem to cast, active pickerel and decent to keeper stripers shallow enough to get as bycatch. Could be a huge day. Hate yaking on weekends, but this creek is behind a low bridge, so traffic is low. Parking is a pain and I am lazy as gently caress regarding loading and dealing with yak and gear.

Guide my hand fishbros.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Where you at? If it's been raining a lot in the hills/mtns near you your creeks are gonna be blown out and muddy.

Both sound fun as hell, for me if its 80 and humid I'd be spending the time in the water. I'm miserable at anything over 75 and moderate humidity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah were you be? I'll be in DC....

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah were you be? I'll be in DC....

I am south of Annapolis, but this rain has me bummed out a bit. I might shift course and hit some ponds in southern MD. In any case, let me know if you want in on some fishing.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Going for some fall walleye action in a couple weeks here in northwest MN. I'm thinking using a slip weight and a floating jig with a night crawler or fathead on the end, and if that doesn't work give the crank baits a shot. Anyone have experience with that area? I could use some advice since I haven't fished for walleye from a boat in many many years.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone have any advice for rigging up a bow rider for fishing? Dad bought a cute Maxum 1800 outboard for cruising around the river, swamps, and intercoastal, and I'd love to try a little fishing from it. No offshore experience, but would love to learn. Just want to target good eating fish, not after trophies.

I've also got to learn to dive and spearfish to do my part in murdering Lionfish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You got mullet in your area? I hear net casting for them is productive for food.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LingcodKilla posted:

You got mullet in your area? I hear net casting for them is productive for food.

I do want to try that! I don't think I'd be super productive with it given persistent shoulder and back issues, but worth a shot. I'm more the type that wants to have a nice day on the water and catch a mess of fish to cook up for friends and still have some for the freezer. It's why I've mostly stuck to stocked ponds and catfish (and how I've gotten really good at cooking large mouth bass and bluegill). I like to guarantee my chowder.

Mullet is also crazy good. Smoked Mullet is legit one of my favorite fish dishes. FISH BACON.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

TheDon01 posted:

Well those are just adorable, how well do they keep in aquariums? I had a crawdad growing up for almost 2 years that I bought at an Asian market for like 50 cents.

As a someone who both fishes and keeps aquariums, Bluegill are massive bastards. Fun to keep, but they will destroy fish you'd think would be able to hold their own.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

As a someone who both fishes and keeps aquariums, Bluegill are massive bastards. Fun to keep, but they will destroy fish you'd think would be able to hold their own.

So like an oscar? I had a few albino oscars back when I had aquariums and they were total assholes, killed everything then the bigger one killed the smaller one.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've never kept fish in aquariums but from some of the stuff I've read it sounds like selecting fish that can peacefully coexist is a pretty big deal for people who do have aquariums

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

TheDon01 posted:

So like an oscar? I had a few albino oscars back when I had aquariums and they were total assholes, killed everything then the bigger one killed the smaller one.

Blue gills will gently caress up Oscars as long as the blue gill doesn't fit inside the Oscar's mouth. But in general you don't want to put cold water fish and warm water fish in the same aquarium since they both require different temperatures to be comfortable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got plans to dig out a pond and keep a few bluegills.

Seems like a bad idea to keep them in an aquarium.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

YarPirate posted:

Going for some fall walleye action in a couple weeks here in northwest MN. I'm thinking using a slip weight and a floating jig with a night crawler or fathead on the end, and if that doesn't work give the crank baits a shot. Anyone have experience with that area? I could use some advice since I haven't fished for walleye from a boat in many many years.

What lake are you fishing at? It's unlikely I've fished it, but I can take a look at the lake map and see if any areas stand out.

I'd say troll stickbaits at night/dusk on shallow weed edges. The slip weight rig should work well too, you should be able to cover some water too.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

What lake are you fishing at? It's unlikely I've fished it, but I can take a look at the lake map and see if any areas stand out.

I'd say troll stickbaits at night/dusk on shallow weed edges. The slip weight rig should work well too, you should be able to cover some water too.

Otter tail lake is the main one, but I think I'm going to try some other nearby lakes from shore.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

DoctaFun posted:

Speaking of lake maps, what resources does everyone use for their intel?

I've gone to Navionics and all that, and I watched some dude pop out a map on YouTube alt hat had some detailed channel information and such...I just have no clue what it was and where he got it from.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

And a nice halibut to finish the day off. 35-40#? I need to buy a scale, my harbor doesn't have one.

Sorry I'm late to respond to this, as I'm just catching up on this thread.
An interesting bit of trivia about pacific halibut is that you can get a pretty accurate estimate of weight from just measuring their length. You don't need a scale. A measuring tape and this PDF chart from the International Pacific Halibut Commission will do you just fine!

IPHC FAQ posted:

Does the length-weight table really work?

According to our scientists, the table is very accurate. Back in 1926, 454 halibut were caught off Masset, B.C. Their fork lengths and weights were measured and a formula was worked out:

WN = 6.921x10-6 x L3.24 , where WN=(head-off, eviscerated wt in pounds) and L=(fork length in cm)

In 1989, Bill Clark looked at the length-weight relationship of 5184 fish caught from B.C. to the eastern Aleutian Islands. Bill found that his data matched very closely with the 1926 formula, which was "higher on average by about 1%, but there is no practical difference..." Like all things in nature, a single halibut's weight can deviate up to 10-20% from the norm; but, taken in a group of say, 20 or more fish, these random errors should cancel out.

The length-weight table is available in centimeters or inches.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm looking for gear to get in my kayak with while the weather and weather temps are cooling. Are waders the best route? Do they breathe well? I'm also not sure of them because of the likelihood of falling out and they take on water causing me to sink like a rock.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I'm looking for gear to get in my kayak with while the weather and weather temps are cooling. Are waders the best route? Do they breathe well? I'm also not sure of them because of the likelihood of falling out and they take on water causing me to sink like a rock.

Long story short, it totally depends upon what kind of climate you live and what kind of kayak you have and what kind of water do you think you'll be working in.

Hypothermia can kill you in a matter of minutes if the water is cold enough. I'm from posting right now but later I'll try to cut and paste a ton of info I found while I was looking at this issue a year or so ago.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Honestly it's only for the next couple weeks, and early spring in NC/SC. I don't really do cold weather, period. MAYBE 55-60 degree water at minimum.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hagie posted:

Honestly it's only for the next couple weeks, and early spring in NC/SC. I don't really do cold weather, period. MAYBE 55-60 degree water at minimum.

You'd be surprised. Make sure you wear your vest too, some fisherman around here drowned in less than 5 feet of water because he got tangled in weeds.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

Yep that's not too bad, guys around here generally fish until ice out, and most use dry/semi drysuits. If you do go for waders I suggest getting a stretchy belt and cinch it as tight as you can stand as high as it will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hagie posted:

I had a wetsuit for a while but I've switched over to dry pants and they're a heap warmer. A little water gets in because my arse and feet are in a puddle the entire trip but it's more just a little dampness rather than being dripping wet.

Waders are a controversial topic and some people I've met/spoken to online get really fired up about it but there's 3 things to keep in mind:
water in waders weighs the same as water outside of waders so you won't sink because of them, it might make it harder to swim though;
as long as you're wearing a PFD you won't end up getting your head pushed under water by any air trapped in the waders;
and waders full of water can make it a lot harder to remount your kayak so be prepared to take them off if you have to.

Make sure you wear enough layers of thermals under your waders/dry pants/wetsuit too, good ones should wick water away from your skin to help you stay warm even if you get wet. Wear a spray jacket under your PFD so if you do fall in the wind won't cool you down as much too.