Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I wondered that too! I thought maybe I was missing visual cues for "this guy is a horse". Maybe his flowing locks are supposed to be a mane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
We’re Ready to Believe You

Honestly, by knocking out three requests a day I generate enough prince points to get things done as I want them. Lumber and stone are more of a bottleneck right now, but that will be fixed soon enough.

Right then, back to the plot. I’m Art Simpson, who the hell are you?

Let’s see… small, pale, moves quickly, not transparent, not obviously dead in any way… analysis inconclusive, but I’m gonna go with my gut and say it’s a kid in a cheap Halloween costume.

"I've finally found you!! Now, let's go help Dolly!"

She always speaks in quotation marks. I choose to believe that this is because she communicates via signs, despite nobody ever mentioning it.

H-help? And...who's Dolly??

"Huh? You haven't heard from Ven? But it's you who saved the other two, right?"

What the hell is a Ven?

"Ven’s Ven."

Oh, well, that makes perfect sense then.

"I... I've waited for this moment forever! Haven't you found a way to restore the runes in this land? If so, then we have to save Dolly, too! I didn't want to make milady's requests all for naught, you see... ...and I didn't want to let Ven down either, so I tried my best to be patient. But that'll all be over today! Milady, we'll be there soon! Help is on the way!"

Does it count as exposition if you feel like you know even less about what’s going on afterward?

I’ve played enough Metal Gear Solid games to know that the answer is yes.

Um, I'm not quite sure where this is going...

Well, I do, but Art doesn’t.

"You don't know? What kind of education has Ven been giving you?!”

The sort where I’m kept in the dark and fed bullshit?

“Once you leave the town, head toward the bridge located in the southwest. Once you reach the bridge, you just cross it and keep on going. You can't miss it! You got all that?"

W-wait! Was there...a bridge in the southwest...?

The answer, naturally, is no, but who cares about minor details? Well, maybe Ventuswill knows what the hell is going on.

A ghost?! W-was that...Pp-p-pppp...?

Why are you peeping like a bird?

I'm not peeping! Wh-what did the ghost s-s-say?

Um... She said she wants me to save Dolly...

You know what she's talking about, don't you?

I...can't say...that I don't...

So you do, then.

I don't!

You don't?

...Or...I do...

Yes, those are the choices here.

Huh?

Though I don't really know about P--eh-hem, that ghost... But if she needs your help, you should at least listen to what she has to say. Helping those in need is part of your duty as a Prince, after all!

It seems to me my duties as Prince include being Ventuswill’s bitch.

*SIGH* Well, guess I should follow the ghost, then. Makes about as much sense as anything else in this town.

Well, too bad Ventuswill didn’t know anything about what’s going on. I guess it’s time to go follow the ghost then.

On my way out, I ran into Forte, who taught me how to use Wind Slash. It’s not a very good ability, but I think this is the only time a character just hands me a rune ability.

On the downside, the whole reason I talked to Forte was to recruit her for the next dungeon. And she won’t join up. Characters won’t go adventuring with you if they’re involved in an ongoing event.

Like this one.

So over to Forte and Kiel’s house to find out what the big mystery is.

What's up?

My favorite pocket watch has gone missing.

Did you check where you usually put it?

Yeah, but it wasn't there. I remember seeing it there yesterday. Maybe a ghost took it.

I kinda doubt a ghost would do that.

But...now what do I do? I'll have to find that ghost and ask it to give that watch back. It's important to me.

That's not what happened!

Suddenly, Illuminata!

Illuminata!

Yes, I just said that.

When did you come in?

Heh heh heh...!

Now listen. The theft of your precious pocket watch was not the work of a poltergeist.

Then who took it?

It was taken, my dear Kiel... ...by a cat burglar!!

Naturally! This makes perfect sense and is entirely logical!

Uh, I don't think that's it...

But don't worry! Calm down. It will be okay.

So you just stay here and wait, okay?

I'm going to keep looking.

Good idea. It might just be in some other place you haven't thought of yet.

Illuminata must really hate living in a small town where everybody knows each other and no crime ever happens. The first time I played through this event, I thought that she stole the watch to create a mystery she could solve. Thankfully, that is not what happened, because that would be dumb.

The annoying thing about many events, including this one, is that they require the passage of time to progress. Which locks out involved characters for days at a time.

The next day, I wandered over to the castle, and found a funny conversation between butlers.

Well... Vishnal has been staying up until late into the night...

Is this true, Vishnal?

Yes. I've been studying.

Studying?

I kept hearing strange voices, so I assumed you were doing something kind of shady...

Shady? Sounds to me like you thought he was… I can’t decide on a booty call or masturbation joke. Insult your own here.

Strange voices?! Bah! I'm just focusing my chi, to increase my energy and boost my aptitude!

Nah, never mind, dude was totally beating it.

Either way, you shouldn't be saying strange things late at night.

With Vishnal’s masturbatory habits spread around for all to hear about, it’s time to pop over to see Kiel about his watch again.

Illuminata is like 50 levels lower than me, and probably should have just bounced off. But the power of plot is stronger.

Umm... What are you doing here?

I thought you were somebody suspicious trying to break in!

Sorry… Wait, why is this MY fault?! What are you doing hiding in here, Illuminata?

What, can't you tell by looking?

Unless you’re here to seduce Kiel, I’m afraid I don’t have a clue.

I'm getting ready to arrest the cat burglar who stole Kiel's pocket watch!

Right here?

Of course right here. Listen carefully, now. I'm going to teach you something veeery important.

"A criminal will always return to the scene of the crime."

You would think a person obsessed with being a detective would have even the slightest clue about how actual criminal investigation works. But like I said before, Lumie lives in Selphia, and there probably hasn’t been a crime committed here in hundreds of years. But it’s also suggested that she’s read Sherlock Holmes, which would at least give her a slight clue. So I don’t loving know.

And then the door opened again.

See?

I am totally okay with that chain of events. Except that that’s what should have happened when Illuminata attacked me.

Owww... Geez, what was that for?

My apologies. I reacted before I had a chance to think. ...Wait? Why is this MY fault? Why are you in my house, Illuminata?

Please don’t ask. She might try to explain it again, and I can’t take that much stupid twice in a row.

I was just trying to capture a thief, that's all. Sheesh.

But what you did was almost catch Forte. She doesn't seem like a thief to me.

A thief? What are you talking about?

Kiel can't find his pocket watch.

O-oh. I see...

Illuminata says it was stolen by a thief.

R-really now... Th-that c-cannot be allowed.

Forte, are you scared of criminal activity? I think Forte’s scared of crime.

Um, Forte? Are you okay? You look kinda pale.

Wha?! I-I'm fine, thank you! N-no need to worry yourself!

Hmm. Ah-ha!

Wh-what?

Nothing! Sorry to bother you. Bye-bye!

No apology for the various assaults?

What was that all about?

I don't know.

More importantly though, I upgraded my backpack. It will never be big enough.

And I built a second field. I can have a maximum of 5 vacant lots.

And I emphasize vacant lot. This place is just as full of junk as my first one was.

Eventually I’ll need to actually farm here, but I’ll but farming wood and stone here for a while. Unplowed fields will respawn logs, stumps, and boulders pretty quickly. And I’m gonna need a lot of wood and stone.

Another day, more progression in this event.

Hurry...new parts...

...don't have...here...

But I...to fix...fast! Please...!

Hmmm… nope, no idea what these sentence fragments mean.

Art is also confused, but he can just barge in and ask what’s going on.

Oh, hey. Welcome.

Hello.

Something need fixing?

Erm...you could say that.

Ha ha! C'mon, Forte. You don't have to be so nervous.

Bado...

Whoops! Sorry, sorry. I won't say any more.

Well then, I must be on my way.

...? What just happened?

Ha ha! Well, I guess everyone has their little issues. Even her.

Well, that explained absolutely nothing! I hope Illuminata is having more luck figuring this out than me.

You see, it’s funny, because horse. Ha. Ha. Somehow, giving him this carrot unlocked more crops.

I spent a few weeks growing yams in the summer field to bring in a little money. Yams can be cooked with milk and butter (and butter is, naturally, made from milk) to create Yam of Ages, which sells decently well in the shop. I needed to build up some starting capital before I could progress to bigger and better moneymakers.

drat window shoppers like to make that harder than it has to be.

But what about the case! I have to know more about Illuminata’s investigation!

Huh? Well, uh...

Tsk tsk! It's no use trying to lie to me.

I didn't say anything...

I see. So you refuse to cooperate with the investigation, eh?

Does she honestly believe she has any actual law enforcement authority here? I’m pretty sure that Forte is the closest thing to a cop we have in this town.

That's fine. I've heard enough as it is.

Um, what's going on?

Heh heh! ♪ I just overheard something very interesting, is all. Art. In the next few days, you should be able to witness something amusing at Kiel's house.

What do you mean?

It means everyone has their own way of doing things, is all.

Well obviously, I need to know how this ends, so the next day…

That’s her peaking in through the window of Forte and Kiel’s house, if you can’t see her behind the dialogue options.

I should probably talk to her before she does something weird.

This is probably something else that falls under my job description.

Illuminata.

Shh! Not so loud! Now get over here!

What are you doing?

You made it just in time. Watch!

It's not polite to peep into people's homes.

Just do it.

What is it, Kiel?

My pocket watch! I thought I lost it, but there it is on my desk!

I guess you must have overlooked it.

I thought I'd looked there more than once, though...Oh well. ...Wait.

Now what?

It's fixed.

What, was it broken?

Yeah.

Really? You could have told me that.

But...

But what? Spit it out.

I couldn't tell you it broke.

What, was that all that worried you? Well, it's fixed now. All's well that ends well.

Yeah.

Oh good, I’m glad that’s settled and we can get back to progressing the plot… or not.

Heh heh heh! This is the moment I've been waiting for!

Ack! Hey!!

Oh. Hello, Illuminata. It's you, again. What do you want this time?

People in this town get used to very strange things.

Ah-ha! Don't think your innocent act can fool me! Forte... YOU were the thief!

What?!

This is what happened. You waited until Kiel wasn't looking... And then you snuck into his room and stole the pocket watch he had on his desk!

What?! H-how can you say that?

Huh? Did you really do that, Forte?

Of course not! Illuminata, you shouldn't invent accusations like that!

OBJECTION! I didn't invent anything.

No Lumie, you don’t get to reference Phoenix Wright. He’s usually right about stuff he goes on random tangents about.

Unfortunately for you, I have deduced the entire incident. All I needed to discover was one thing. Your motive. Why would you steal Kiel's pocket watch? But, in the course of my investigations, I arrived at a possible theory. You took the watch because you were desperate to fix it. And why did you want to fix it?
Because you were the one who broke it! You could hardly believe you'd done it, I'm sure. But it was only a matter of time before your actions were discovered. But fixing the pocket watch required time. Somehow, there needed to be a reason for it to be missing. And so... You made it look like a cat burglar stole the pocket watch!

How can one woman be so wrong about absolutely everything, and yet be spot on about the main point?

...!!!

Forte. What you did was wrong. But...you did it for love of your brother.
Don't ever forget that. ...Whew! There. Case solved!

Um, I'm the one who broke the watch.

So what's this about a cat burglar?

I haven't a clue.

Then why did you take the pocket watch?

Yes, why the hell did any of this happen?

Erm...Kiel would look at it with sadness every now and again. I thought if the watch would magically work again, he would cheer up...

Forte...

I'm sorry, Kiel. This is my fault for taking it without letting you know first.

No, that's okay. You did it because you wanted to make me feel better, after all. Now I can go show it off to everyone and let them know you fixed it for me!

B-but...

O-oh...uh, well at least this whole cat burglar fuss is over and done with.

Yeah. Thanks, Art.

Don’t thank me, I had nothing to do with any of this, and I’m happier for it.

And... Thanks, Forte. I appreciate it.

Y-you're welcome. And I'm glad you like that pocket watch.

Sure would like to get some events to give other people character development. As it is, I think we’ve developed these two as far as they can go without me dating one of them.

There will be no development for Illuminata. She pretty much just has the one layer. If you scratch under that detective surface, you just find another detective.

Okay, next time, busting will make me feel good.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 18, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Geez, these two are being pushed so hard I almost feel bad for the inevitable drama that will happen (or worse, fail to happen) between them.

Also, come on Art, there's literally one loving person/thing in the town with V-e-n at the start of their name, and you already know they like casual nicknames; this is not hard. Ask the obvious questions:

1. Why was there a bridge there in the past.
2. Why isn't it there now.

..don't ask about the names though, because badgering a dragon when it doesn't want to talk about it is probably a bad idea.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Shady? Sounds to me like you thought he was… I can’t decide on a booty call or masturbation joke. Insult your own here.

Please never fix this. :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, come on Art, there's literally one loving person/thing in the town with V-e-n at the start of their name, and you already know they like casual nicknames; this is not hard. Ask the obvious questions:

1. Why was there a bridge there in the past.
2. Why isn't it there now.

..don't ask about the names though, because badgering a dragon when it doesn't want to talk about it is probably a bad idea.

In a twist nobody expects, Ven is actually shorthand for Ventriloquist

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i mean it's not exactly subtle just look at her, she has inhuman eyes, she's talking about a Dolly *wink wink* and always speaks in quotation marks, oh maybe we've seen something like that before?

oh yeah it's when someone's trying to talk as someone else, like Eliza impersonating Dylan here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

There will be no development for Illuminata. She pretty much just has the one layer. If you scratch under that detective surface, you just find another detective.
Makes you wonder how she doesn't get sick of her own schtick over the however long an elf lives in RF land.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

HenryEx posted:

i mean it's not exactly subtle just look at her, she has inhuman eyes, she's talking about a Dolly *wink wink* and always speaks in quotation marks, oh maybe we've seen something like that before?

oh yeah it's when someone's trying to talk as someone else, like Eliza impersonating Dylan here

I'll have a bit to say on this later, it will also involve earlier comments about Dylas and whether or not he looks like a horse. I just want to have all the unlockable characters unlocked before I go off on a tangent about them.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 13, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
a) can you plant carrots b) how out-of-season are they, right now?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

a) can you plant carrots b) how out-of-season are they, right now?

Can and have. They're a fall crop, but have no bad season. Dylas got his carrot, but my big carrot growing plans won't come until next month.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Every Molecule in This Turnip Exploding at the Speed of Light

So, with that concluded, everything important in town is out of the way and it’s time to move on to the next dungeon, right?

Well, clearly I have to be around for this! Nothing is more important to me than festivals based around turnips!

But seeing as how I’ve got a few hours to kill, might as well at least get the lay of the land.

I’ve been to this cliff before. It’s on the western edge of the Selphia plains, near the Summer Field. There is no bridge here, nor does it look like there has ever been one. But there is a butler.

I've been waiting for you, Your Majesty.

Volkanon? What are you doing here?

What a silly question... Whenever you're confronted with a great difficulty or an insurmountable obstacle... I will always come to your aid, no matter where you may be.

Um, okay...

Therefore, Your Majesty! Please step this way and observe! Observe what, you ask?

Total elapsed time: about 15 seconds. Which he spent doing aerial somersaults and roaring.

I've built a bridge for you so you may cross unimpeded!

I am but a simple butler. No more, no less. Well, my work here is done, so it's now time for me to go.

Th-thank you very much, Volkanon.

Take care, Your Highness!

And this is why Volkanon is awesome. Thanks to his amazing butler powers, the next area has been unlocked.

And I got some money and the spear ability Reaper Slash.

This one actually isn’t half bad, it’s decent when I need to attack a larger area, it hits a fairly decent sized frontal arc. There’s at least one boss fight coming up a while from now where I wish I’d thought to use it.

Actually, most of the spear skills are pretty decent, come to think of it, regardless of what weapon you’re using.

Most gates here in the western plains are Love elemental. I spent a long time punching these trying to get one to drop a Love crystal (an elemental crystal that heals you for 3% of your damage done when used to upgrade), but no luck. I remain convinced that Love crystals have the lowest drop rate of all the crystals. Fire, Water, Earth, and Air can all be obtained from mining in various areas, Light and Dark drop once in a while from fairly frequently occurring gates. But Love is harder to come by.

Oh no, another impassable obstacle! Quick, somebody summon Volkanon again!

No, nothing? Alright, I guess I’ll wait.

Abrupt change of scenery is abrupt. Probably nothing to be concerned about.

Also note that the mineral rocks in this area begin dropping bronze, useful for the next tier of weapons and armor.

I needed to wait for my butler to build a bridge. You’re lucky, without him I would have had to hire a construction crew or something. However it is people actually get past obstacles like that when they don’t have video game plots drop bridges for them as needed.

Nothing special about the dialogue here, I just like that I timed the screenshot with the lightning flash.

Is...this Dolly person...here?

I don’t take advantage of the ability to drop textboxes often enough. Here we have a textbook haunted house, the Obsidian Mansion. I’m not sure a giant beetle is a reasonable substitute for a cowardly dog.

"Yes, that's right."

I-it has...a certain... ambiance, huh...

"Come on! We're going in! Dolly... We'll be there soon!"

Oh no. You’re going in, I’m gonna finish exploring, and then go win a contest.

West of the haunted house is this area, the southern half of which is always dark. There’s a rock here, which obviously neither you nor I can see, that if mined will sometimes drop Shade Stones. When you slap one of these into a weapon, it will ignore some amount of enemies’ elemental resistance. This is actually really useful for some fights, and I wish I’d been able to get one before the end of act 1, but we’ll get to that eventually.

Here we have a giant Anubis statue with a door I can’t open. It has ladders on either side, leading up to platforms with goblins and squirrels than can and will one-shot my entire party. This dungeon is so far in the future it isn’t even funny.

This, however, is a big tree. Once per day I can collect a shining seed from this tree, allowing me to grow my own lumber trees back at the farm. I’m too impatient to actually bother with these though. I will however come here every day to chop the respawning branches and stumps around it.

And that’s the western half of Selphia Plains. Boring place, overall. But more importantly…

And this year’s favorite to win is…

Nope, I’m clearly not going to put up with that. This Turnip Festival is mine. So… what the hell is a Turnip Festival?

Throw balls at turnips. Forte, I don’t think your sword is going to get much use here.

It’s like this, except with a lot more turnips as time goes on, flying in multiple directions. So, who won this contest? Place your bets now!

This one ramps up hard in later years, I’m lucky I knocked it out here and now.

It’s late enough in the day that I’m not going to the Mansion yet. Don’t need half my party quitting on me two rooms in.

They just don't know how to properly enjoy the gift of life they've been given. Fortunately for me, I have a toy called Art. And that's all I need. As long as I have you, I think I'll quite enjoy this long life of mine.

Or at least this part of it, I guess...

Well, as long as the God-Dragon-King is happy I guess.

With the bronze I collected mining around the western plains, I can upgrade my tools to the next tier. Upgraded tools can be charged up to cover a larger area, or in the case of the fishing pole, to attract fish from further away.

Now if only I had any idea why a hammer made out of bronze would be called an iron hammer. Or why bronze is a better material to make tools from than iron. Then again, from here we progress to silver, and then gold, so we're already working on the RPG scale of metals, not anything based on reality.

NEXT TIME: Savin’ the doll, savin’ the doll, when you get to the point where it’s drivin’ you insane

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 17, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:eng101: That giant tree can also give you fruit tree seeds, which are marginally more useful. At least if you're like me and can't be assed to gamble on random fruit drops out in the dungeons.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Haifisch posted:

:eng101: That giant tree can also give you fruit tree seeds, which are marginally more useful. At least if you're like me and can't be assed to gamble on random fruit drops out in the dungeons.

True, I just don't like growing trees.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I approve of and love your musical reference, sir!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

True, I just don't like growing trees.

Apple orchards are a good way to level your soil to 100, but you'll need a full year+ of harvests to do it. I did one in 2-3 hours of just waking up, collecting all my apples, shipping them, watering the field, and sleeping. I should've cooked some now that I think about it.

Shining trees basically trade soil HP for lumber but will get you a lot of it for a full 255HP on leveled up soil. I got 135-140 (I think) lumber per tree. I think it's faster to just clear vacant fields every 3 days though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a few things about Twinkle Trees though. You can harvest them indefinitely, so long as you restore their HP before you leave the screen. Just carry a few clovers and you can throw one in and keep chopping.

Also, they have a small chance of dropping 'Glitta Augite', a mineral(?) that you can forge into a weapon to increase its range. Combine that with a few late game crafting tricks and you can punch fools from halfway across the screen.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Also, they have a small chance of dropping 'Glitta Augite', a mineral(?) that you can forge into a weapon to increase its range. Combine that with a few late game crafting tricks and you can punch fools from halfway across the screen.

This is pretty much the only use I have for them. Although I only put the Glitta Augite (or Raccoon Leaf) in, I don't like to waste upgrade slots using both and Double-Steeling (or Ten-fold), one of them. I'll settle for punching something from several lengths away, thank you.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I forget, and am lazy. But do we have the audio for Volkanon's quips uploaded here? His emotive exclamations are great.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Drakenel posted:

I forget, and am lazy. But do we have the audio for Volkanon's quips uploaded here? His emotive exclamations are great.

I wish I had audio clips for stuff like that. And music, I would kill to be able to link the relevant bits of the soundtrack, but I've never had any luck finding it.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
As far as the bronze>iron question goes, iron tends to be more brittle unless you know the techniques needed to keep your carbon content at the right ratio to make the iron hard, but not brittle, which is part of the reason bronze stuck around as long as it did. Bronze also doesn't rust. Doesn't explain why the game does the weird naming thing, though, especially since I assume there's actual iron ore to use. Maybe it's some mistake that got overlooked.

Truthkeeper posted:

I wish I had audio clips for stuff like that. And music, I would kill to be able to link the relevant bits of the soundtrack, but I've never had any luck finding it.
As far as music goes, looking up "Rune Factory 4 OST" on youtube seems to give plenty of results, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for. Not sure about the audio clips for quips, though it might be possible to isolate it from videos of the scenes. Not sure how to take out the background music, though. Incidentally, I found Volkanon's bridge building bit.

Truthkeeper posted:

drat window shoppers like to make that harder than it has to me.
From the "stolen watch" update.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

As far as music goes, looking up "Rune Factory 4 OST" on youtube seems to give plenty of results, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

You weren't kidding! Apparently most of it (there's a few missing, sadly) has been uploaded since I last checked. I'm definitely going to start linking tracks where appropriate, the music really helps to make this game. I still need to go back and improve on my earlier posts, I should add music links to those whenever I get around to doing that.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Scolly Dolly Doo, Where Are You?

And so the hero did enter the Obsidian Mansion.

W-wait...

"What is it?"

Uh...will you at least tell me your name?

"Why don't you introduce yourself before you ask a lady's name?"

Why don’t you introduce yourself before expecting me to risk my life in a haunted mansion to rescue your friend?

I...suppose that would be the polite thing to do. Sorry. My name is Art.

"I'm Pico. I appeared before you so I could help Dolly."

So, this Dolly you keep tal—

"Enough with the introductions! There's no time to waste!"

And...off she goes.

And she did too. I don’t think Pico realizes that I can’t fly or phase through walls.

This dungeon’s gimmick is that there’s a shorter path to get through, but it’s blocked off by locked doors, forcing me to take the long way around and unlock the door. This serves very little purpose, since most times I come back here will be to fight the boss again, and dungeons always have a teleport straight to the boss at the entrance once you’ve beaten them.

And if it turns out Pico is responsible for those locked doors, I may need to hire the Ghostbusters myself.

I really like the atmosphere here. They paid attention to the little details.

“Marionetta… The one I loved...”

This can only be a sign of good things!

GEH! That's cold! Is the roof leaking...? (It's sticky...) Huh...?

It's red...

And then over to the left…

“It's a picture of a woman. There's something written on the back...”

“I will make portraits of them. They will be here forever.”

Only good things!

“Ever since I started living here, I constantly feel like I'm being watched from somewhere... But supposedly, I'm the only person here.“

What's going on?! Things I throw away keep coming back... Who's doing this? Why don't you show yourself?!

“...I can't take it anymore. I decided to leave this mansion tomorrow. Dear stranger. I guess today's the last day I'll be spending with you. Goodbye. Take care.”

At this point, the text turns red. Little strange, but I’m sure it’s nothing.

“/No matter how hard I try to leave the mansion, I somehow always end up back here./ /Oh, you might be wondering about the color change! My pen ran out of ink yesterday. But I can still write.//There seems to be red ink dripping from my right hand now.//But it hurts.//It hurts.//It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts./”

“/I found it...//I might finally be able to leave this place!//I hid the/ silver key /behind the painting.//Finally...I can finally be free!//Be...free...//...is what I...thought.../”

I left the slashes from the script because I like the effect, it looks like blood drops.

The diary talked about a silver key, though...

Well, at least I got the key and I can avoid ever thinking about this creepy rear end room again.

Avoid the creepy figure standing behind the heroes.

I would be a little creeped out. Forte freaked and teleported out, but ran back to me.

And then there’s the next room.

Oh, there’s a candle over there. I should light it... That'll do.

How did you see that in a pitch black room?

One Ghost (below Art), and an Onion Ghost on either side. Ghosts are pretty harmless, they’ll swing their scythe ineffectually and throw Dark Balls, which would be annoying if it wasn’t such a slow moving spell. Onion Ghosts can throw their heads around, it’s more funny than effective. All types of ghosts can teleport around the room.

It’s not exactly difficult.

I always approve of being given free money. I haven’t achieved my grand master money making plan yet, so every little bit helps at this point.

Are you one of those kinds of ghosts that can touch people to make them able to pass through walls? Because that would be a big help right now.

Wait... There's something wrong with this place. But, I guess I have no choice. I have to go.

And then there was a sudden unexpected outdoor segment. The ghost is hanging around again, but he just hangs out here at the entrance instead of following me this time.

Hurry up!

Pico, you are not making a good case for yourself. Busting you might very well make me feel good.

But I found a chest with some potions and a Heart Drink (permanent increase to max HP). It’ll be a long time before I can start manufacturing my own stat increasing items. This put me in a good mood again.

This’ll keep happening until the people I adventure with have a higher friendship rating (I want to say at 6 they no longer leave). This led to me mostly using monsters the first time I played, but I like human (or elfin, or dwarfan, as the case may be) companions. Especially later when I need healers.

And here we have a slime, the first monster that my mighty punching ability isn’t effective against. Slimes resist physical damage, requiring elemental weapons or spells. Or just more punching.

Maybe you could stick around and help me fight?

This doll can be attacked, but never killed. There are people who stand here for hours grinding their weapon skill hitting it. I can’t be bothered.

I suppose it also acts as a warning about this trap involving a waterfall of stuffed animals.

Flash Strike is a two-handed sword skill, one I don’t care for because it takes too long to get off.

"Milady's in there!"

She’s jumping the gun a bit, but we are in the last room before the boss. There’s only one thing standing between me and the boss fight.

Ghost Ray. The first oversized version of a more common monster, but not the last. He’s huge and beefy, but otherwise exactly like regular ghosts, with the benefit of being the only monster in the room.

Oh, will I have an audience while I fight the boss? I always approve of dinner and a show. We can get Gordon Ramsay to cook.

"Dolly! Dooolly! Dolly?! Where are you?! DOOOLLLLYYY! I'm here for you!"

Pico! Get back!

Pico, stay back!

"...But, Dolly's...!"

Come on!

"Gah! Fine. I'll leave the rest to you! Make sure you save her, though!"

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my screenshots of the actual battle. So let’s talk about Marionetta.

Marionetta is a giant creepy rear end puppet (You can’t see it in the sprite, but the official art even has her controlled by creepy disembodied hands holding puppet strings). She has a variety of dangerous attacks, including dropping that waterfall of stuffed animals from before, grabbing a target, locking them in a box, and skewering it with swords, and a dark laser. I hate fighting this boss without a partner just so I have somebody to take that box attack.

Also, those tables and chairs? I can pick them up and throw them at her.

The end result is a thoroughly beaten puppet.

It’s not even surprising when something I beat the hell out of turns into a human anymore. Although this time Art went in knowing it was going to happen I suppose.

But this time, the person I just savagely pummeled is conscious!

...Is this...?

Oh, you're conscious—

"DOOLLLYY!"

--?! *CRACK*

And now she’s concussed. I thought beating the hell out of people was my job.

"I've missed you... I've missed you so much! I've missed you so sooo much!"

"Huh? Milady? Dolly?! Dooollyyy!"

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAKE!

"Art! Dolly's...! Dolly's...!!"

Concussed, yes, I’m aware. Don’t know if a cure spell would help any.

C-calm down... She just fainted, that's all.

No, she got a concussion from being tackled while she was barely conscious.

"But why?! I guess the only thing left to do, then... ...is go to Ven's place!"

W-wait!!

Okay, so we’ve established that she can touch people, and even carry them with her.

*Dials 555-2368*

“The bridge is fixed! How lucky!”

Man, she’s fast…

Volkanon! Better question, what are you doing here?

May I ask what you're doing over here?

I was just checking something in Obsidian Mansion.

Ah, about the rumor, no?

How about you, Mr. Volkanon?

I was told by Lady Ventuswill to fix the bridge. She didn't say why, exactly. But presumably, Lady Ventuswill knew... ...that you would be returning from Obsidian Mansion. I can think of no other reason she would have ordered this of me. She is a most considerate dragon indeed. Heart...of purest...gold...

Mr. Volkanon…

So yeah, fun fact. Obsidian Mansion is right next to Selphia (it’s on the northern side of the same area as Dragon Lake). So Volkanon could have just fixed this bridge, I could have gone in through the back door we just came out of, and skipped that whole dungeon. But nope!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well sure, you COULD have skipped the dungeon, but then we wouldn't have an entire area to establish that Pico's an annoying poo poo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Decided to pick up this game up and play along, good to see that RF4 is a really fun game after the whole Runey thing in Frontier and the general weirdness of Tides. I'm actually about to fight the Dolly boss too, but I need better armor so each of it's attacks don't take 75% of my health. Unfortunately, I just realized that crafting and forging are two different skills, so I need to buy another 150 turnip seeds so I can get my crafting skill to level 30 as well :shepicide:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What do you need all the turnip seeds for? Just make some cheap bracelets and boots and yarn or something.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And use scrap metal and iron(seriously, you'll have a shitton more iron than you'll ever use) to grind upgrades for skill. The only reason to use turnip seeds is if you have literally nothing else to use, but lower tier metals are so plentiful that problem quickly solves itself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Truthkeeper posted:

Well, the entire audio folder for the game is ~860 MBs big, and that's in the compressed sound format the 3DS uses, so not exactly easy to ferry around on the net. I can zip you up the Volkanon lines though http://www115.zippyshare.com/v/4Bw8g8Pz/file.html

You'll need some way to play back these "Gamecube" adpcm files though, like VGMStream https://www.hcs64.com/vgmstream.html

edit: May i recommend the voice line 0097a

edit2: also the best Ho-ho-ho is at 0137

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 22, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I find battle hammers do increased damage to slimes. It's like they resist slice damage but are weak to blunt damage. I don't remember if fists work any better.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is it just me or are a lot of images out of order? Stuff like the turnip festival images are basically showing up in random places throughout the post. It might just be a combo of SA app + poo poo Internet though

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Xun posted:

Is it just me or are a lot of images out of order? Stuff like the turnip festival images are basically showing up in random places throughout the post. It might just be a combo of SA app + poo poo Internet though

I'm not seeing it, so I'm going to assume it's the latter explanation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does everything have to have a monster journal in it since Resident Evil did that?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

It's probably the latter, I've had that happen to me on occasion with image-heavy posts/pages. The same picture will keep loading in place of other pictures.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Plot Just Dumped a Load of Serious All Over The Place

Still kinda curious why Pico’s first instinct was to pass up the perfectly good clinic staffed by a possibly reputable doctor in favor of Casa de la Dragon here.

Eavesdropping on conversations is the kind of useful skill every prince should hone. Sometimes it’s the only way to actually learn anything about the plot. Which I will remind you we are three dungeons in and only just now finding out what the hell I’ve been doing all this time.

Of course. But there's something I must do before anything else.

Keep in mind that Art can see this because he’s still standing five feet away from the door, in plain sight.

"W-wait! Wait!! Hey!! Wh-what are you doing? What about first aid?! What did you just do?!"

You certainly haven't changed.

"What in the world did you just do to her?!"

Don't worry. I simply erased Dolce's memory.

"What?!?! Why would you do that?! Are you trying to ruin our relationship?! I don't care if it's you, Ven, I can't forgive such cruelty!!"

Don't be stupid. It's not like that.

"W-well, then answer me! Why did you erase her memory?!"

I didn't erase all of it. Just her memories relating to the Guardians.

"Memories relating to the Guardians..."

I've completely erased it, just as I did to all the other Guardians.

"Then, Dolly..."

...will never become a Guardian again, no.

"Really...?"

Really.

"YAAAAAY! From now on, I can be with Dolly ALWAYS!"

That's right. You should all live happily in this town, alongside all the other Guardians. Just forget about all of that chaos.

That isn’t ominous in the slightest! Nope, perfectly rational statement.

"What...?"

She should wake up anytime.

"Wait a minute. If you found a way to bring back runes in this land... then there's no need to erase her memory at all, right?"

"Ven, please answer me! Why—

Dragon fall down. Go boom.

"Ven?!"

I'm sorry... Please allow me to rest for a spell.

Keep in mind she hasn’t gotten back up yet, so she’s lying on the ground huffing like the fat kid in gym class trying to pretend she’ll be alright.

"Wait! Why do you look like you're in so much pain?"

Maybe, possibly, because she’s in pain? Was the collapsing in front of you thing not clear enough?

Don't...worry...

"You're obviously not okay! Didn't you find a solution?!"

"Ven...!"

I know what I'm doing...

Clearly! All hail our draconic lord and god folks, clearly she’s on the ball!

"...You've released two Guardians before milady, right?"

"What are you up to? That wouldn't... That wouldn't make Dolly happy!"

Oh. Well. Yep, Venuswill totally knows what she’s doing, no need to be concerned about the loving Gotterdamerung.

Venti...is dying?

Well gee, guess who finally has an opinion. RF4 is my favorite game in the series, but I honestly don’t care for this aspect of the protagonist as much as the others. Raguna, Kyle, and Micah were all fairly proactive heroes, while Lest Art had to be dragged into the plot.

Of course, Raguna and Kyle were dull and flat as cardboard, whereas Art actually has a personality. So there is that. And once Art is actually made aware that things are happening…

Oh, Art... There's no need for the dramatic shout. I'm right here.

What does she mean you're going to die?!

Hey!!

...So you were eavesdropping. Eavesdropping is by no means a proper activity for a Prince.

Screw you, eavesdropping keeps princes alive and in the loop!

Venti!

Answer me!

...I guess I can't hide it anymore. It's exactly as she said. I'm about to reach my limit.
Truthfully, I'd reached my limit a long time ago. As a Divine Native Dragon... I have the duty of producing and returning runes to the world through my body. This world is full of nature... full of people, fields and monsters... We need a huge number of runes for everything to be maintained in the right...proportions. And truthfully, the runes in this land ran dry long ago. And I had my final part to play.

Honestly, for all that they’ve been mentioned in every game, were a major part of the gameplay in some games, and are even in the title, I don’t think this series has ever bothered to establish what the gently caress a rune is. This is as close as they ever came to providing an explanation, and it honestly explains nothing.

Final...?

Like humans, Divine Dragons have an end to their lives. And my final role as the Divine Wind Dragon Ventuswill was to water the land with my own life. But with the help of the Guardians, my life was extended.

...Guardians?

It's a forbidden spell used by Earthmates to create more runeys... by assimilating humans into the land itself. The Guardians sacrificed themselves to produce more and more runes... in order to save my life and this land. The three people you've saved... Amber... Dylas... and... Dolce, over here. They were all Guardians.

All three of them...?

They all sacrificed themselves to save me and this kingdom. These friends of mine... kept producing runes for centuries... I... always wanted to release these Guardians... But time is a cruel mistress... and I was convinced I was out of it. That I was too late... But that's when you fell into the picture, Art. When I met you, and learned that you bore the power of an Earthmate... I knew it was my last chance to save my friends who'd turned themselves into Guardians. An Earthmate... must be able to break the forbidden spell cast by other Earthmates.

Why didn't you tell me?

I'm sorry that I didn't. But... if I told you the truth... I didn't think you'd go through with saving them. You have my sincerest apologies.

Oh, well, as long as you’re sorry for lying to and using me, it’s all totally cool.

I want to save them. And then, once I've played my part, the runes I generate should easily last another 1000 years. I am a Divine Dragon, after all. A new Wind Dragon should be born within that time... and play its part the same way I have.

There is actually precedence for this in the series. The plot of the first game heavily involved the birth of a new Terrable the Earth Dragon.

Of course, this does nothing to explain how Fiersome the Fire Dragon was sealed away for a thousand years prior to RF2 with absolutely nothing bad happening. And then I killed him, again, no big deal.

I choose to believe that Venti is making this story up as she goes along.

"Part"? But doesn't that mean...you'll die?!

She’s ridiculously old Art. I know I’ve been making fun of the plot, but the fact of the matter is that everybody has to die eventually and part of growing up is learning to accept that.

...Art, listen. If you go west, there's a tower called Leon Karnak where you'll find the last Guardian, Leon.

Dude must have been pretty awesome to get the dungeon named after him. I certainly haven’t been to Amber Forest, Dylas Ruins, and Dolce Mansion so far.

You may recall briefly seeing the bottom of Leon Karnak during my exploration of the western Selphia plains.

Please save him. You're the only one I can ask! ...I can't...bear it anymore... Being alive... by sacrificing the lives of my friends... I'm...tired of it all...

And this is why I like Venti. She’s the most compassionate of the four dragon gods. Terrable was awesome, Fiersome was a generic boss, Aquaticus was an rear end in a top hat. Venti has an actual character and personality. And even honest to herself character growth.

Venti... You can't do that...

This is one of a few choice sequences that are interesting because you have to pick all of them to proceed with the conversation.

Let's move the town!

That mustn't happen. I can't leave the town of Selphia.

Yeah, funny story. Remember this line, we’re coming back to this at the end of Act 1, and again at the end of Act 2.

Why...?

This is an important land for Norad. If all the runes in this land disappear, so will the runes in the Kingdom of Norad. And this will eventually diffuse to the whole world. Selphia's like the heart. That's why, as a Divine Dragon... I must revitalize this land. That is my final task as the Divine Wind Dragon.

Let's ask the king!

...Oh, I've discussed this with the king at great length. However, it just isn't possible. The successive kings of the land have explored alternative after alternative... but the result is what we've seen these past several centuries. There is no solution. It's simply not possible.

What about the fields? We can get runes from the fields, can't we?

That wouldn't help much. The amount of runes needed will easily exceed the growth speed of the crops. No matter how hard you may try, even as an Earthmate... What's worse, with the way things stand, we may no longer see runes in the fields at all.

Oddly enough, no, the supply of runes from farming never dries up.

Which means crops will stop growing...

They also never established why growing crops made runes appear in the first place. It was weirder in the first game, where every 3x3 block of crops would pop out a rune as soon as they grew, and you were expected to rely on those runes to regain RP by planting crops in dungeons.

I don’t miss that mechanic.

I'll be the new Guardian.

No! You absolutely must not!

But...

Why do you think I borrowed your power?! ...Why do you think... I tried to keep a distance from everyone...?

...!

I can't bear... watching my precious friends disappear because of me.

Venti...

You humans are so selfish... Always disappearing without a word. Ignoring me, the Divine Dragon... while even using the power of the Earthmates... And becoming Guardians without my permission! To save me... ...It's all my fault... ...And...to disappear, again... I can't... I...no longer want to be separated from anyone...That's why my mind is set on this.

Sure, she doesn’t want to be sad because one of her friends disappears, but it’s totally alright for her new friend to be sad because she’s dead. But yeah, I can see not wanting to prolong your life and the expense of others. Except that we’ve totally established that the Guardians can be turned human-ish again with no problem. The smart solution here would be to have a rotating staff of Guardians, maybe doing one year shifts. How hard could it be to find 12-16 people who would be willing to give up one year out of every three or four in order to keep a dragon god king alive?

...?

I'm so miserable... depending on the Guardians to stay alive... How could I ever say that I'm protecting the town...? ...It's my duty as a Wind Dragon to revitalize the earth.

Before she suggested it was because she was a divine dragon, now she specifically says only the divine wind dragon can do it. I’d be interested in seeing a direct translation of the original version of this scene.

If I don't fulfill it, this kingdom's soil will die out. ...And if that happens, the Kingdom of Norad -- this town of Selphia -- will have no future. So please, Art.

I hear there are other counties that don’t depend on magical dragons to keep themselves alive.

But...

Please! …I beg of you! ...Please...

No. There must be another way.

You're the only hope, Art. Please...I realize how hard it may be to accept this... But, please...

There must be some other way to help you and the Guardians!

On the one hand, dumping on Art for his inability to accept that old people die. On the other hand, I quite like his heroic resolve.

There's no other way, Art. It's all right. I've lived a long and full life. ... I... I tried hard not to make any friends......so that they wouldn't even think of becoming Guardians. I tried to isolate myself. But... No matter what I did, you humans are just too damned charming! I made friends up till the end. Even when I wasn't trying, I was making friends. You know how I met my most recent one? The heavens dropped a new friend right on my head, that's how! Fell on me without warning... ...and started spewing all manner of smart-mouthed drivel against me, a Divine Dragon! But... despite having no past memories... that person cares about others... and has a kind, caring heart.

Come on, now...

At first, the Earthmate aspect left me feeling a bit worried... but soon enough, it didn't matter at all... Art. I don't want to lose you.

...Venti.

It hasn't been that long since you've come...

Less than two months, fair enough.

...but I've enjoyed our time together immensely. Don't let me lose my last friend. I can't overstate how important this is to me. Please...Art... Save...the last...Guardian...

And down she goes again.

Venti?! VENTI!!

"Please calm down."

Oh good, you’re still here.

"...She's still alive. ...Try to understand Ven's feelings. She probably had to think really hard to reach this conclusion."

But... I can't just sit back and let her die!

"Neither can I! I've known Ven for a long time. Of course I want to save her, if that's possible! But..."

Pico… No, this is wrong.

"Art!"

I want to save both Venti and the Guardians! There must... There must be a way!

There’s going to be a way to have my cake and eat it too because I have trouble accepting death!

"Where are you going?!"

Hey...

D-did you hear our conversation?

Eavesdropping is only okay for princes. Commoners caught eavesdropping will be hung from the castle wall by their thumbs.

I...I want to help Venti. But... I don't know what to do... If I don't hurry, Venti'll...

...Tch. You're wasting your time. If it's impossible, it's impossible. Isn't that what that dragon said, too? ...Not that you should listen to her. But why don't you just go ahead and help Leon or whoever it is?

!

No, please, go on some more about how much you don’t like our exalted Dragon God King.

I can't give up!... Just because I was told that it's impossible... ...doesn't mean it really is! You might be right, Doug… But... that's...

Hey...!! Listen.

Oh hell no. If the dwarf is going to start channeling Navi, I‘m out of here.

That dragon... She... Tch, whatever... Do whatever you want.

What the hell Doug, has your lack of beard driven you to the edge of insanity?

And then we have our most recent rescue/battery victim.

"This is the person that saved you, milady."

Oh. I don't really remember what I was saved from. But thanks, either way.

Um...sure.

I'm Dolce.

...My name is Art.

I wanted to talk to Venti, too.

Huh?

What's wrong?

You...said "Venti"...right?

Wasn't that the name of that dragon?

What, were she and Pico just standing next to Venti’s passed out self back in the throne room without talking while I chatted with Doug?

Uh...

It seems like she had a hand in saving me too. I wanted to thank her as well.

Not in the slightest. As usual, I did all the work.

Oh, I see...

"..."

I feel like I'm forgetting something very important... You and Venti both have such sad looks on your faces.

...Do we?

Well, since she seems tired, I suppose I'll speak with her another time.

"..."

Pico?

"...Yeah, that sounds good."

And then suddenly Nancy was behind me.

So you two are...?

"Erm..."

Are you in the same situation as Amber and Dylas?

"Oh! How did you know?"

The last couple additions to our town were like that, so I just assumed.

What do you mean...?

Prince Art beats the poo poo out of monsters a lot, sometimes they turn into people.

"Um... I haven't fully explained it to you, milady..."

So this girl lost her memory too?

Huh...?

Well, why don't you two come to my place for the time being? It's probably best that Jones gives her a thorough check-up.

Jones...?

He's my husband, and a superb doctor. ♪

I dunno, the only thing he’s ever done to me is refill my HP/RP, a cup of tea could do that.

I'm not injured, though.

You may look okay, but it never hurts to be cautious. Right, Art?

Hmm...? Oh, yeah, that's very true.

As an expert on administering beatings, Art knows a thing or two about this.

...Art? Is something wrong?

Um... No.

I guess it’s better not to start spreading it around that the end of days is upon us.

"..."

Well, allow me, then!

Huh? Uh, wait, please...

Hmm? Is there a problem?

Well, not exactly. It's just... You have no obligation to me.

Oh, is that your concern? Don't worry. Haven't you heard the phrase, "one good turn deserves another"?

Do you actually believe that?!

Yes, of course! Gods may act on a whim, but that's not true of humans. Someone who understands gratitude will, in some form, pay back in kind. If you feel confident in what you've been protecting, you should eventually be rewarded.

...You're too trusting.

Maybe so. But I have no regrets. That's just how I live my life! Now, shall we? Oh, I know! If you don't have a place to stay, you can live with us!

Sure is a good thing there are so many people with spare rooms who really want somebody to move in with them. This helps to shore up my theory that there was a fairly recent die-off in this town.

Wh-what?!

"How nice of her! "The most important thing is to have no regrets." I totally agree with that! She's a really nice lady."

"But at times, you have to make some tough decisions. Even knowing that, whichever choice you make, you might eventually regret it. Sometimes, you just have to choose the lesser of two evils."

And so Art was left standing alone. In the rain, which has been falling through this whole conversation.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 29, 2016

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I especially like Art's jaunty hat in the last screenshot.

I'm so torn about Ven here. The whole not wanting to watch people die for you thing is understandable, but it then seems kind of crass that she justifies it as watching her friends die and then turns around and asks Art to do exactly the same. I wonder if it's more or less clear in the original Japanese.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Truthkeeper posted:

I want to save them. And then, once I've played my part, the runes I generate should easily last another 1000 years. I am a Divine Dragon, after all. A new Wind Dragon should be born within that time... and play its part the same way I have.

I think the whole Prince thing might have gone to Art's head a bit, he just heard Venti is dying and already wants to usurp her position as dragon god.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Venti, you're doing it all wrong. How is Art supposed to finish the game the traditional way if you're being so nice and not-evil? :(

Though I wonder if that thing Art was supposed to be protecting in the flying airship had anything to do with a possible solution to this Rune problem.

Aesclepia posted:

I'm so torn about Ven here. The whole not wanting to watch people die for you thing is understandable, but it then seems kind of crass that she justifies it as watching her friends die and then turns around and asks Art to do exactly the same. I wonder if it's more or less clear in the original Japanese.

I don't think she wants Art to turn into a Guardian, she wants him to free them and then uh, watch her die I guess.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Truthkeeper posted:

Except that we’ve totally established that the Guardians can be turned human-ish again with no problem. The smart solution here would be to have a rotating staff of Guardians, maybe doing one year shifts. How hard could it be to find 12-16 people who would be willing to give up one year out of every three or four in order to keep a dragon god king alive?
With a little thought and some logistics work...

nah, that's too hard and not worth it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly I'm wondering how they even got into this situation in the first place. It sounds like divine dragons run out of runes to generate after a long time, so there's not actually a rune crisis, it's just that the guardians have been keeping Ventus alive long past her natural lifespan. Ventus was apparently out of the loop on the whole thing, so what did the guardians do, all get together and find an Earthmate and decide they should force Ventus to live forever? And so let's assume that we find some magic plot bullshit that lets us fix the rune problems and Ventus gets to keep living, what happens when she inevitably outlives everyone in the town? She says she tried not to be friends with people so no one would try to become a guardian ever again, but has she forgotten that people can die from other reasons than becoming guardians?

I've got a lot of questions for Rune Factory 4 :colbert:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Obviously this would turn into Record of Agarest, except that when the protagonist of one geneation is old enough to turn into a magical lightning horse, their grandfather (who was the previous magical lightning horse) turns back and rejoins the community.

Presumably still looking like the teenager he was when he took on the mantle of being a magical lightning horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly I'm wondering how they even got into this situation in the first place. It sounds like divine dragons run out of runes to generate after a long time, so there's not actually a rune crisis, it's just that the guardians have been keeping Ventus alive long past her natural lifespan.

Let's break this down a bit. Ventuswill doesn't have to actually produce runes yet. The runes already exist (from her predecessor or God or whatever the hell created this world), she just has to regulate the flow. Except those runes are running dry, so there is a rune crisis. That's where the guardians come in. According to Venti's explanation, becoming a Guardian allows them to produce new runes just by existing in monster form. This is pretty interesting and no explanation is given as to how the gently caress it works. WIthout the guardians, the runes would have completely run out long before now, and Venti would have died in order to introduce new runes. And then a new divine wind dragon appears (if baby wind dragon gods are anything like baby earth dragon gods, I pity the people of this town). No explanation given on how the new dragon god gets here or knows what to do.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ventus was apparently out of the loop on the whole thing, so what did the guardians do, all get together and find an Earthmate and decide they should force Ventus to live forever?

Pretty much exactly this. As far as Venti's explanation here goes, she's only ever bothered having one human friend at a time, and whenever she's close to dying, that friend vanishes, and then suddenly she isn't dying anymore. The implication so far, although it hasn't been stated outright, is that each Guardian I've unlocked has come from progressively further in the past.

More on this later.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

And so let's assume that we find some magic plot bullshit that lets us fix the rune problems and Ventus gets to keep living, what happens when she inevitably outlives everyone in the town? She says she tried not to be friends with people so no one would try to become a guardian ever again, but has she forgotten that people can die from other reasons than becoming guardians?

She's a thousand+ year old dragon, she's used to people dying of old age. I think her main problem is a massive case of guilt over surviving through her friends giving up their lives to act as Guardians.

Aesclepia posted:

Hats are the only piece of armor that's visible on NPCs I equip them with. Which is why I'm able to use the Order symbol to take back all the hats in case I accidently make things too silly. But there are very few headpieces I actually like the look of on Art, so I mostly stick with jaunty caps. Because sorry Cloud, but nobody respects an RPG protagonist who runs around wearing a ribbon. (I swear half the headpieces in this game are ribbons and headbands, ).

Although I totally spent a whole dungeon wearing a pair of cat ears.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 27, 2016

• Locked thread