Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think there's any country today that could actually support a plan like that, speaking from the point of view of basic economics.

Mathematically it's possible but you have to adjust tax systems to account for the extra income. Greens had a suggestion where you'd get 500 UBI and everything on top of that is taxed at ~40%, effectively creating a income curve with less chance of situations where you'd earn more by staying at home. Of course this model breaks down when you tack all the other existing social benefits on top of it, but in theory an affordable system is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hob_Gadling posted:

Mathematically it's possible but you have to adjust tax systems to account for the extra income. Greens had a suggestion where you'd get 500 UBI and everything on top of that is taxed at ~40%, effectively creating a income curve with less chance of situations where you'd earn more by staying at home. Of course this model breaks down when you tack all the other existing social benefits on top of it, but in theory an affordable system is possible.

Yeah, the problem is that expanding this system to be truly universal would probably hurt the middle class with their tax deductions, so I can't see it getting voted in through a democratic process.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honest Thief posted:

Racism in Portugal is low level and not yet institutionalized, that's the next step for when we become a first world country. If Portugal does turn fascist, again, it's probably going to be geared towards muslims.
Calling Poland a shithole is kinda.. it's not the most developed european country but it's far from a shithole. Portuguese dudes being attacked in Poland though, it's not that surprising, envy is a thing that can bile up for a long time.
Erasmus is fun until the party finished and wasn't all fun and games as promised.

But we got rid of it! *waves carnation*

racism is super institutionalized in portugal.

we close down entire beaches and shopping malls if a black dude sneezes.

remember the arrastao?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Mans posted:

racism is super institutionalized in portugal.

we close down entire beaches and shopping malls if a black dude sneezes.

remember the arrastao?

That whole thing was amazing,the panic the outrage the right wing parades and then the debunking.here is a short documentary about the affair with convinient english subtitles.

https://youtu.be/9pfS50Ycguw

Also i got to Call António capucho a loving piece of poo poo to his face a few weeks after it was great.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

These are the most shared news articles on Le Monde, this morning

Get me out of this loving country

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't England or Germany annex us?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I just want one journalist, just one, to ask Manuel Valls "why do you hate our freedoms?". It won't happen and Valls would probably manage to give a non answer anyway, but one can dream.

(Please take me with you)

Kurtofan posted:

And risk creating an unholy alliance of French right-wingers and English Tories? Are you quite mad?

Kassad fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 27, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

The whole point of the EU is to keep this from happening again :eng101:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

kustomkarkommando posted:

The US secretary of the treasury openly accused the EC of disproportionately targeting American firms in a letter to Juncker in February

While that is true, but is still comically missing the point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Randler posted:

While that is true, but is still comically missing the point.

What is the point then?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

That this point i want to build a time machine and shoot Adolphe in the head. Adolphe Thiers that is.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

everyone chill, it's just the summer hole right now. The news cycle turns retarded every summer due to the heat and lack of actual poo poo happening.

Like, German media has been going apeshit for over a week now because the government recommended to store 10l of water for emergency cases instead of 9l or something. loving heat, making everyone crazy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChainsawCharlie posted:

That whole thing was amazing,the panic the outrage the right wing parades and then the debunking.here is a short documentary about the affair with convinient english subtitles.

https://youtu.be/9pfS50Ycguw

Also i got to Call António capucho a loving piece of poo poo to his face a few weeks after it was great.

a few months back a great documentary about gypsies living in Portugal and the hurdles they had to pass through was released and one of the things the documentary revealed was the habit of some store keepers buying frog statues and putting them on their storefronts to scare away gispsies.

the end result of that film was an explosion in frog statue sales. go outside and look at store fronts, it's frogs everywhere :allears:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What is with the European hated of gypsies?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Centuries of ingrained prejudices.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bourgeois sedentary people hate traveling poor people who refuses to invest into the lucrative real estate thing.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is the point then?

That the various different tax avoidance approaches the EU is taking a closer look at are designed for American companies, so it's not surprising that American companies are disproportionaly targetted during the investigations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Centuries of ingrained prejudices.

But like why? Here in the USA we don't really have Romani. But we have Amish, and their communities are like tourist attractions. I mean I'm sure they get a bit of the other shoulder from some people, but people travel from states away to see how they live and buy trinkets and awesome fudge from them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nitrousoxide posted:

But like why? Here in the USA we don't really have Romani. But we have Amish, and their communities are like tourist attractions. I mean I'm sure they get a bit of the other shoulder from some people, but people travel from states away to see how they live and buy trinkets and awesome fudge from them.
Don't the Amish live in very specific locations?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, but like the Romani they haven't integrated into the modern world like at all.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Nitrousoxide posted:

They are seen as willfully refusing to participate in society.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Roma don't live in whimsical anachronistic villages, and they don't make "trinkets". They live in housing projects and are unemployed (because lots of such housing projects have no connection to places of employment).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

A lot of people of Romani descent live in the United States, how similar are their lives to their counterparts in Europe?

Anyway I think its mostly because the uprooted lifestyle can make it very difficult for Gypsies to integrate, education can be erratic, they don't have much access to social services and amenities without fixed residences and usually seem to be distinct from and resented by many communities. Over the centuries mutual distrust grew up between the two groups, settled Europeans tend to have stereotypes of Travelling people as criminal, unwilling to integrate and and economically unproductive, Gypsies tend to see settled society as racist and hostile to just about every custom they have. Its not really comparable to Amish who at least have settled, if insular, communities that are popularly perceived to have such good 'ol American qualities like Godliness and hard work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A better equivalent in the US would be Native Americans, especially since Roma and Travellers used to be heavily dependent on the common land system until the various governments and landowners of Europe enclosed it all and kicked them off, then told them that it was their fault.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, but like the Romani they haven't integrated into the modern world like at all.

You are romanticizing their situation, they have integrated (or have been integrated) inasmuch as any socially exluded population is integrated into the majority society.

I don't think "proper" travelling gypsies are a thing anywhere in Europe in a significant quantity. And those that exist are more similar to American trailer park people than to some cartoon gypsy stereotypes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gypsies don't live in carriages carried by horses

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

khwarezm posted:

A lot of people of Romani descent live in the United States, how similar are their lives to their counterparts in Europe?

I can't remember ever hearing about the Romani except in the context of Europe. So they can't be the boogy man like they are there.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kurtofan posted:

Gypsies don't live in carriages carried by horses

I admit I'm probably treating the situation for Irish Travellors and Gypsies in Europe too interchangeably.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khwarezm posted:

I admit I'm probably treating the situation for Irish Travellors and Gypsies in Europe too interchangeably.

In this video a guy drives through some Gypsy villages in Slovakia, for illustration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FjwPTEyuo

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
At least in my country there are integrated Romani who have lived here for literal centuries, stay separate (like not too much intermarriage) but have businesses and the like and who only racists have problem with and the ones from Romania and other Eastern European shitholes where it is basically Jim Crow for them and thus they come here to beg and/or collect bottles. Never seen either with carriages.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 27, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

At least in my country there are integrated Romani who have lived here for literal centuries, stay separate (like not too much intermarriage) but have businesses and the like and who only racists have problem with and the ones from Romania and other Eastern European shitholes where it is basically Jim Crow for them and thus they come here to beg and/or collect bottles. Never seen either with carriages.

There are still a lot of stereotypes about them being thieves and similar stuff here though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

The Irish Travellors situation is more common in western Europe, the condition of the gypsies people is far far worse in eastern Europe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

DarkCrawler posted:

Blood feuds are a real problem, whether you are racist or not.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't remember ever hearing about the Romani except in the context of Europe. So they can't be the boogy man like they are there.

There were two major waves of Romani immigration to the United States, first in the early 20th century as part of the larger migration of Eastern and Southern Europeans, and then again with the fall of the Iron curtain and the reopening of the Soviet block during the same exodus that brought much of western Europe's current gypsy population.

You don't hear about them in the United States because they are either a) just as assimilated as Irish or Italians, b) although still practicing many aspects of "typical" (n.b. this is in quotes because different communities of Romani are very heterogeneous) gypsy culture they choose not to reveal their identity from gadjo for fear of prejudice and Americans aren't savvy enough recognize them anyway, or b) they still practice typical Romani customs openly but America is big and diverse enough that they just disappear into the wider landscape.

Estimates are rough and vary a lot but there's probably about a million people of gypsy heritage in the U.S. Five or six years ago American Romani actually held a big national conference about the crisis of Romani identity, because younger gypsies were increasingly settling intra-group disputes (usually over stuff like bride price and divorce) through the US courts and their weakening adherence to old purity customs like abstaining from sex and relationships with gadjo.

This article touches on how the Roma community has interfaced with American culture. The way they talk they definitely sound more comfortable within the wider American milieu than what I tend to hear coming from Romani in western Europe. Not that they don't still feel occasionally discriminated against.

http://www.voanews.com/a/for-roma-life-in-us-has-challenges-119394819/163156.html

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

There are still a lot of stereotypes about them being thieves and similar stuff here though.

It doesn't help with "stereotypes" when a minority (0.2% of the population) commits almost 20% of recorded thefts.

You can try to ignore the actual facts like DarkCrawler does because I don't think he's ever talked to someone that runs a business, but if you own a shop in Finland, you'd be pretty drat stupid to NOT tell the security guy to watch the Romani closely - it's pretty simple statistical discrimination.

(Crimes per person - crimes leading to death, so murder, manslaughter etc.)

(Percentage of theft/robberies commited by ethnicity/nationality)

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It doesn't help with "stereotypes" when a minority (0.2% of the population) commits almost 20% of recorded thefts

Emphasis being recorded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're all over the place, even though there's certain areas where there's more of them like Lancaster. You'll also find them traveling quite far away to sell their stuff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Squalid posted:

You don't hear about them in the United States because they are either a) just as assimilated as Irish or Italians, b) although still practicing many aspects of "typical" (n.b. this is in quotes because different communities of Romani are very heterogeneous) gypsy culture they choose not to reveal their identity from gadjo for fear of prejudice and Americans aren't savvy enough recognize them anyway, or b) they still practice typical Romani customs openly but America is big and diverse enough that they just disappear into the wider landscape.

Estimates are rough and vary a lot but there's probably about a million people of gypsy heritage in the U.S. Five or six years ago American Romani actually held a big national conference about the crisis of Romani identity, because younger gypsies were increasingly settling intra-group disputes (usually over stuff like bride price and divorce) through the US courts and their weakening adherence to old purity customs like abstaining from sex and relationships with gadjo.

Sounds like much more successful integration.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Emphasis being recorded.

You seriously think their 100x over-representation in theft statistics is because of underreporting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It doesn't help with "stereotypes" when a minority (0.2% of the population) commits almost 20% of recorded thefts.

Obviously the solution here is to label all of them criminals. That will surely help these issues.