Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Space T Rex posted:

"just be chill and use whatever but don't go sperglord try-hard extraordinaire"

What kind of try-hard tries to win the game they're playing? It's downright unsportsmanlike!

And yes it's casual and no you probably won't find anyone else to play it with because the people who play these things aren't generally the people who download a program to play Magic with a bunch of randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

suicidesteve posted:

What kind of try-hard tries to win the game they're playing? It's downright unsportsmanlike!

I just think that just because the virtual cards are free doesn't mean you can only pick cards that are 20 dollars each. That seems boring to me. I was just asking to see if xmage had some game type with other similar minded people but apparently not! Booooring.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I can't loving wait for 2 artifact sets where equipment as a whole remains terrible at the end of them

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Space T Rex posted:

I just think that just because the virtual cards are free doesn't mean you can only pick cards that are 20 dollars each. That seems boring to me. I was just asking to see if xmage had some game type with other similar minded people but apparently not! Booooring.

Commander typically isn't so bad more exploration, everyone still stuff dual lands and the such in their decks but the nature of commander means it's not as bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got to play against a fog deck loaded with cards that return creqtures to my hand. Round one took 40 minutes to play out. I actually wanted to hit this kid in the face--repeatedly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You can sanction a casual "Conspiracy Draft" in WER, but if you thought that would give you tools to run one such as being able to put people into pods or from those pods into multiplayer matches, you'd be wrong. I had to create my own seating randomly to create pods, and then create matches and type those matches into an MS Word table to create four (or three) player matches. Then I had to scramble to reorganize pods on the fly because people would just leave without telling me and multiple games would just have two players.

Longest FNM of my life.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Met a guy at FNM who was like a human bingo board for bad magic opinions. In the course of the night he said:
  • Aggro decks require no skill
  • Net decking is a crutch for bad players
  • Everyone who beat him was lucky
  • When you draw a relevant card after getting unlimited draw steps with no pressure from him, it's "winning off an insane topdeck"
  • he "cares more about victory than winning" :psyduck:
Three guesses what he was playing: mill

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I didn't know Kripp still played magic

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

You can sanction a casual "Conspiracy Draft" in WER, but if you thought that would give you tools to run one such as being able to put people into pods or from those pods into multiplayer matches, you'd be wrong. I had to create my own seating randomly to create pods, and then create matches and type those matches into an MS Word table to create four (or three) player matches. Then I had to scramble to reorganize pods on the fly because people would just leave without telling me and multiple games would just have two players.

Longest FNM of my life.

My store decided to do regular draft tonight and Conspiracy tomorrow specifically so we would have more time to sort this bullshit out.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

uninverted posted:

Met a guy at FNM who was like a human bingo board for bad magic opinions. In the course of the night he said:
  • When you draw a relevant card after getting unlimited draw steps with no pressure from him, it's "winning off an insane topdeck"

please don't dox Sickening

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

What does this even mean, what does the price of a card have to do with how interesting it is to play :psyduck:?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

I got to play against a fog deck loaded with cards that return creqtures to my hand. Round one took 40 minutes to play out. I actually wanted to hit this kid in the face--repeatedly.

this owns

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The deck is Mono U Prison. Here's an example of it: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-u-prison#paper

Forty minutes to get through game one. Me and the three other people that had to go against it wanted to take this kid into an alley and murder him. All of his matches went to time and at least one of them was 1-0. It was as much fun as sticking my dick into a toaster. I don't know how decks like that are fun to play.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

The deck is Mono U Prison. Here's an example of it: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-u-prison#paper

Forty minutes to get through game one. Me and the three other people that had to go against it wanted to take this kid into an alley and murder him. All of his matches went to time and at least one of them was 1-0. It was as much fun as sticking my dick into a toaster. I don't know how decks like that are fun to play.

it's fun to play because of meltdowns like this one over a collectible card game for children

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

haha you stuck your dick in a toaster

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Longest FNM of my life.

Yeah our store was a mess. Four pods of 6-6-6-7 instead of 8-8-9, leading to games of 3-3-3-3-3-3-3-4 instead of 4-4-4-4-3-3-3, etc.

Trip report:

The guy with Sovereign's Realm won, natch.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Back from Conspiracy 2 draft:

Particularly notable cards in my deck

quote:

SOVEREIGN'S REALM: P2P1 windmill slam and immediately began building around it as hard as possible. The drawback printed on the card does actually matter early on, but the fact that after a certain point you stop needing lands ever again means you'll just crush opponents underneath the fact that you're drawing relevant stuff every turn. More importantly, picking it meant the entire concept of colors went out the door so I literally just began taking the best card in each pack.
3 Garbage Fires: the highest number named for it was 7 so it was basically Red Murder.
3 Nessian Asps; it's not as busted in this as it was in Theros block because the removal actually doesn't suck in this set, but post monstrosity it's still an 8/9 reach that has to be multiblocked or hit with removal if you are to stand a chance at winning.
Horn of Greed (foil): P1P1 because it was the exact sort of card I wanted to play in a multiplayer game, and then it ended up comboing with Sovereign's Realm, letting me go once per turn "exile a card from my hand, draw a card and put a land into play".
Avatar of Woe: I'm amazed this got reprinted even at mythic; the ability to cast it for 2 and then just start murdering everything is unfathomably overpowered even in a multiplayer set.
Duskmantle Seer: Ironically probably the worst thing to play because of how much life it would keep draining from me each turn due to having 0 lands to soften the blow. On the other hand, 4/4 flier, and I never drew it anyways.

Since it was "top two of the pod of 4 move on to the winner's table" and my deck was unbelievably busted, I managed to just team up with the next best deck (who got the other mythic rare conspiracy P1P1 and built around that) and crush the other two players without ever having to attack myself.

Then the actual real drawback of Sovereign's Realm kicked in and the winners from the other pod of 4 just focused me down so hard that the player I had teamed up with from last game (with my further help because he wasn't trying to kill me as well) crushed them immediately afterwards. Still got a prize anyways, so no big deal.

Also the foil Horn of Greed is apparently worth 20$, because EDH staple as a foil that has never been in foil before does weird things to your price.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If you open sovereign's realm pack three and you already have 5 conspiracies you can't even play it :v:

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Hellsau posted:

So somebody did really well with a GW Tron list that plays White over Red for Path and different sideboard cards. Modern players - how crazy is it to run Oust over Path to Exile? The creature will come back with Oust two turns later, but it's still a 1 for 1 and it doesn't ramp your opponent. Tron isn't trying to reduce the opponents resources and grind them out, so just buying time seems like it's good enough. Is the instant speed of Path that important, or are there creatures that Tron actually needs to get rid of permanently?

I'm a little late but if you are trying for a replacement to Path that doesn't ramp I'd look at Condemn instead.They potentially gain a bit more life, but no ramp, instant spead and the card is gone a lot longer. I played GR Tron for a while before the Eye of Ugin banning so this may be old knowledge, but I can't think of anything that Condemn wouldn't handle that Path would, especially since your top end really closes things out fast once you get an Ulamog swinging.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mef989 posted:

I'm a little late but if you are trying for a replacement to Path that doesn't ramp I'd look at Condemn instead.They potentially gain a bit more life, but no ramp, instant spead and the card is gone a lot longer. I played GR Tron for a while before the Eye of Ugin banning so this may be old knowledge, but I can't think of anything that Condemn wouldn't handle that Path would, especially since your top end really closes things out fast once you get an Ulamog swinging.

Melira combo, signal pest(kind of) and killing infect dudes while they're tapped out all immediately jump to mind.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Turns out when you go against UB alchemist with RB alchemist packing alms and collective brutality, you win. Who knew?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Went WB MONARCH in my conspiracy draft, and slowly drained out the rest of the table while I drew all the cards. The game ended with the last guy alive casting overrun, attacking me for less than lethal, and then dying to the combination of Marchesa's Proclamation and the knights that drain 2 when you lose the crown. Good times!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Elyv posted:

Melira combo, signal pest(kind of) and killing infect dudes while they're tapped out all immediately jump to mind.

You're right, it's late it'd been a while since I read that card. Forgot that card only hit attacking creatures.

I guess the only thing I'd argue is that condemn will hit manlands where oust won't in the case of infect and affinity. Coco combo still hurts though.

Of course the tl;dr is probably just play path despite the land.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Garrulous Sycophants are loving amazing, btw. Got blown out by bw monarchy in my first pod, drafted 5 of them w/3 rank and vile and the green pump conspiracy on them, now playing bw monarchy myself.

Also opened Avatar of Woe all three loving pods, played Sovereigns Realm good stuff pod 1, GB pod 2

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't loving wait for 2 artifact sets where equipment as a whole remains terrible at the end of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

RW Ally Equipment is still a pretty fun deck and can still run over some people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

RW Ally Equipment is still a pretty fun deck and can still run over some people.

Talking about modern, where any equipment not named Cranial Plating is close to unplayable right now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty hard to make equipment that leads to good gameplay and isn't busted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems pretty hard to make equipment that leads to good gameplay and isn't busted.

You could print cards that make already existing equipment more playable in the format. A Stoneforge without the tap ability alone would go miles towards that and I'm sure there are other possibilities that don't have to destroy standard.

What is the definition of "good gameplay" here?

E: for equipment to be playable you pretty much have to cheat the advantage and/or mana costs, a Sword would need a turn 3 play and equip to be worth taking a turn off.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 27, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Equipment needs to be busted in order to see play because you're spending a lot of mana and an extra card for an effect you may not even get any value out of because your opponent has removal. So you make them playable either by subverting the equip cost (Living Weapon, Puresteel Paladin) or subverting the mana cost (Stoneforge Mystic), or just give them a powerful ETB or cast effect. Otherwise you're gonna get insane poo poo like Skullclamp and Umezawa's Jitte. Finding the healthy balance between strong enough to see play and so good every deck has to play it or beat it is a dangerously fine line.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bonesplitter is, I think, the sort of thing you're looking for as an example of "good enough to see play but not insanely busted" equipment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lol rough start for this coverage. They didn't look ready to go and now we get a lovely bant eldrazi mirror.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I have a sealed booster box from Return to Ravnica all the way to Eldrich Moon. I grab a box every set now, and tuck them away. In 10 year's time I hope most of the boxes go to $250 each.
I also was wise and kept 3 booster boxes of unhinged. Those are a nice little return on investment as each one cost me $30.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well equipment is fundamentally something that sticks around and is hard to remove. If it's good it can just dominate creature combat situations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Logicblade posted:

Equipment needs to be busted in order to see play because you're spending a lot of mana and an extra card for an effect you may not even get any value out of because your opponent has removal. So you make them playable either by subverting the equip cost (Living Weapon, Puresteel Paladin) or subverting the mana cost (Stoneforge Mystic), or just give them a powerful ETB or cast effect. Otherwise you're gonna get insane poo poo like Skullclamp and Umezawa's Jitte. Finding the healthy balance between strong enough to see play and so good every deck has to play it or beat it is a dangerously fine line.

It's drawbacks are no worse than enchantments. Rancor isn't that far off being an equipment and while it's a very strong card it isn't really broken.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
gp indi is just shy of 2k players.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Lol rough start for this coverage. They didn't look ready to go and now we get a lovely bant eldrazi mirror.

I think it's going to be everywhere this weekend.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Rancor is better than a vast amount of equipment largely because it is only 1 CMC.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alaan posted:

Rancor is better than a vast amount of equipment largely because it is only 1 CMC.

This plus it kind of has equipment's advantage of "you don't lose this when the creature dies", barring some timing tricks.

E:

uninverted posted:

Three guesses what he was playing: mill

If he's playing Mill and saying all that stuff he's either trolling you or really doesn't know what he's talking about.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What is the link to the stream? I figured it was /magic but they're showing PT EMN

• Locked thread