Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, I mean, a lot of the kinder nobility are the types that don't actively burn down towns because of a whiff of chaos, and do something other than aggressively tax, conscript, and oppress their subjects. The Vampire Counts actually are (relatively) kind and good rulers if I read the lore correctly. Once you get past the skellingtons, ghouls, horrors, flying monster bats, etc. they're good guys! Except for Mannfred, the vampires are relatively good people who just want to rule everyone and occasionally suck a peasant dry. In the End Times, they actually ended up protecting the last living persons as Chaos pooped all over the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Matter of fact, how does Franz treat his peasantry and conscripts? Is he chill and kind or does he sneeringly gently caress their wives and daughters or something behind their back?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Are any of the factions especially friendly to a TW novice or shall I just do what I want to do and WAAAAAAAGH (that's a fantasy orc thing still right)

I started this game playing on Easy since ive never played a total war game.

Imho, start with Empire. Easiest diplomacy, safest starting point, and all their units are average at worst. Once you get a feel for combat, pick Orcs if you like watching infantry do work, VC demigryphs, Dorfs artillery.

Dwarfs have an easy time in combat, but their starting position on the campaign map is the worst.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Matter of fact, how does Franz treat his peasantry and conscripts? Is he chill and kind or does he sneeringly gently caress their wives and daughters or something behind their back?

Franz is very chill towards his fellow men and does not agree with the decadent lifestyle of the nobles, you heathen.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nasgate posted:

I started this game playing on Easy since ive never played a total war game.

Imho, start with Empire. Easiest diplomacy, safest starting point, and all their units are average at worst. Once you get a feel for combat, pick Orcs if you like watching infantry do work, VC demigryphs, Dorfs artillery.

Dwarfs have an easy time in combat, but their starting position on the campaign map is the worst.

On the other hand, Empire is the only campaign I can't seem to get rolling with. I always get about 10 turns in and then some combination of Beastmen, Savage Orc tribes and one of the powerful electors piles in all at once.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Empire campaigns are won on diplomacy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Little Bitch Man posted:

Franz is very chill towards his fellow men and does not agree with the decadent lifestyle of the nobles, you heathen.

Yeah Franz is beloved by the military it seems since, amongst other things, he will be willing to fight alongside the local farmer-turned-conscript if the situation requires it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I you want some clean, fun, good old fashioned peasant abuse you've got to move to Bretonnia.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Are any of the factions especially friendly to a TW novice or shall I just do what I want to do and WAAAAAAAGH (that's a fantasy orc thing still right)

Orcs are fine to start with, just remember to always be outnumbering and surrounding the enemy. Flanking and rear charges gently caress enemy morale and do lots of damage, you'll need this as Orc morale is kinda poo poo. Other tips are Always Be Charging as Orc charge defence is poo poo but their charge bonus is good, use Goblins as ablative armour against range-heavy armies and Night Goblins as sneaky little poisonous shits who can flank around invisibly and then stack a poison debuff on your enemies, Boar Boy Big 'Uns are your best anti-cavalry unit, keep trolls near your warboss of they'll run away really easily, invest in the skills to improve your warboss' leadership aura to help mitigate poo poo Orc leadership, and you'll need 17 units in an army before it can spawn a free Waaagh army to follow you around and help you krump gits.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mukip posted:

Empire campaigns are won on diplomacy.

Only in the sense that you use diplomacy to form trade agreements and that's how you bankroll your armies.... diplo in this is just as dumb and silly as any other tw game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also, as Orcs, always sack the poo poo out of enemy settlements. Orcs (and Chaos IIRC) get a massive bonus to loot multipliers, so a fully developed province will get you mad stacks.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok so Malagor got assassinated and his horde got transfered to new lord.. when i recruited malagor to replace the other lord, how do i keep my horde buildings but disband the lord out?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok so Malagor got assassinated and his horde got transfered to new lord.. when i recruited malagor to replace the other lord, how do i keep my horde buildings but disband the lord out?

Click the button in the lower-left for a detailed view of the Lord, there'll be a kick button in the lower right to replace him with an available lord.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Pretty much phoned in my VH Dwarfs win after breaking the initial wave of Chaos; it didn't help that Age of Peace basically wrecks all your relationships apart from vassalhood so I pretty much had to spend a lot of turns just walking/tunneling to my required settlements. As much as I love shooting the poo poo out of everything, I really hate it when my lines gets turned to poo poo because of chariots, so I'm going to shelve them in the meantime until I learn to get better or CA tweaks them some more.

Ironically, the most impressive artillery barrage I've seen in this game was not in my Dwarf or Empire runs, but in my freshly-started Greenskins campaign where four Rock Lobbas reduced a Hammerers unit to half health and killed a third of the unit on the first wave by shooting straight at them like a massive, primitive shotgun/railgun combo.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Are you using Ctrl + G to group and holding ALT + right click and drag to move? are you using ALT + RIGHT CLICK to attack? It sounds like you're just doing a giant cluster of units mashed together?

All except for the alt-right click to attack. What does that do? I've just been right clicking with group locked units, which I read functions as somewhat of an attack move.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I parsed that as Chaos Dwarfs for a minute and got inordinately excited.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1141860775889121/

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Vlad_von_Carstein

Vlad officially announced, after I forget how many leaks.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

He is so smug on that pile of corpses, what a great animation. The lack of blood in these promo videos make me giggle though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mordja posted:

I you want some clean, fun, good old fashioned peasant abuse you've got to move to Bretonnia.

What kind of brettonian let's the peasants bathe?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, things I found out in my current VH Greenskins campaign:

1. Dwarfs are fuckers: my closest battle ever was Grimgor versus Thorgrim and some random Dwarf general where I managed to run out of ammo for my Doom Diver and had my horde of Boyz and Goblins reduced to 30-man units due to sheer attrition against Dwarf Warriors and Quarrelers being bullshit hard to rout and kill. I seriously thought I was about to lose multiple times, particularly when the reinforcements came and I had forgotten about them. Luckily, Grimgor managed to catch up to a routing Thorgrim to cave his midget head in, and while my units were routing every half minute, they would regroup and keep on coming back until the final wave lost their poo poo and ran.

2. In light of the above, and rather fittingly for the Greenskins, I had the biggest luck starting the campaign by killing them off as soon as possible. Use the VH campaign's mechanics against itself: since AI factions are turbo-charged with money and recruiting speed, I elected to only take Iron Rock as my forward base instead of declaring war on the Bloody Spears to complete the province. I built the growth/reinforcement chain to get upgrades and heal Grimgor's army as quickly as possible, and bankrolled my campaign by sacking the poo poo out of the Blood River dwarfs. This had the effect of letting the Greenskin tribe in the province expand into the sacked settlements, which delayed Thorgrim's expansion alongside the still-friendly Bloody Spears. Once I got a Waaagh! going, I went for the kill and razed Thorgrim's capital to end that particular problem.

3. Balls-out aggression worked out so well that I didn't even bother building the wall chain in my settlements: just get out there and kick your enemies' teeth in instead of hunkering behind walls. You get mad fuckin' cash as the Greenskins when you sack, so I basically turned the Border Princes into a piggy bank I bust open every ten turns or so. This fed into my strategy of getting as much growth as quickly as possible, since I could run without income buildings or walls and instead had the growth and obedience chains up and running.

4. Greenskin artillery beats Greenskin arrows anytime. An outgunned Dwarf army is a sad and pathetic sight that will lose at least a quarter of its units before the melee starts. And then your boyz will get reaaaal mean on the survivors.

5. If you can't afford Big 'Uns yet, pair your Boyz with Night Goblins instead. That poison is disgusting, and rock-hard Dwarf units get turned into putty once they get shanked, which then get murdered by the Boyz.

6. Boars are key to any Greenskin army, but Chariots are actually pretty drat good as well. Unlike Boar Boyz, Chariots have so much mass and can accelerate so quickly in a short distance that they can effectively fight from the front: I do this by having them advance with the melee mob, and then once lines are about to clash, have them charge into the thinnest parts of the enemy mass (flanking charges are good too) and then running them through the melee into the flanks or into their ranged units. By timing it right, the enemy melee is way out of formation and on their asses once your boyz get their charge off, which is extremely brutal to watch. They're still specialty units though; running with more than two is probably too micro-intensive to pay off.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like there's some casual tournament with lovely prizes going on today for those interested in multiplayer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4znspp/dogs_of_war_1_open_tournament_with_prizes/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ninjahund/discussions/0/355043117529849749/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ninjahund/discussions/0/355043117529853995/?tscn=1472315946

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Some screenshots cause why not this game rules

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 28, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've found out that Rock Lobbas are secretly the most OP artillery pieces in the game once you research their relevant techs. Fully upgraded, it shoots as fast as most normal ranged units. This does not factor in veterancy bonuses :getin:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I fought a Greenskin army that had about 4 Rock Lobbas, reinforced by another one with about 6 or 7 Lobbas all of mixed veterancy (guessing high, they were laser accurate). I was the Dwarfs and I had zero Gyrocopters or counter artillery.

That was the most frustrating loss I have ever experienced. My stunties were annihilated.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

toasterwarrior posted:

I've found out that Rock Lobbas are secretly the most OP artillery pieces in the game once you research their relevant techs. Fully upgraded, it shoots as fast as most normal ranged units. This does not factor in veterancy bonuses :getin:

They work very well but doom divers also work great because of moral damage. Basically Greenskin catapults rule.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

SlyFrog posted:

All except for the alt-right click to attack. What does that do? I've just been right clicking with group locked units, which I read functions as somewhat of an attack move.

Alt + right click causes your units to attack in formation instead of cluster loving into a single pile. Basically it's an easier way than Pausing and ordering each unit to attack a specific stack.

If you do it from too far away, they will cluster themselves though but I think thats because I didn't lock my group.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh ghod I am never going to be able to remember all the keyboard and mouse controls required to keep armies in good order. Is there a cheat sheet anywhere?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

Oh ghod I am never going to be able to remember all the keyboard and mouse controls required to keep armies in good order. Is there a cheat sheet anywhere?

In game controls - but really all you need is to know if you select a number of units and then hold ALT you can left click drag to keep formation. If you want everything to remain in order relative to their different move speeds you need to use G to group them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKekrN6XXoU&t=187s

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Alt + right click causes your units to attack in formation instead of cluster loving into a single pile. Basically it's an easier way than Pausing and ordering each unit to attack a specific stack.

If you do it from too far away, they will cluster themselves though but I think thats because I didn't lock my group.

Not strictly true; it's having your units in a locked group has them attack in formation.

Using alt does let you free target spells and click-drag to move though.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Locking/unlocking groups is a bit mystifying. The main benefit is that locked groups will maintain formation when given move orders and can be given the alt-click attack order to avoid clumping up. But if you select an archer group and tell them to shoot a target, they might not all shoot the target you chose unless you unlocked the group. If you have a group of flying units you'll likewise need to unlock the group when giving them attack orders or they don't focus their attacks so much. This was a problem for me in the Empire vs Bretonnia air war, because sometimes my own characters were being focused down one-by-one by my opponent while my own units were spreading their attacks out and losing. I'm not not alt-clicking my attack order either.

So generally you want your main melee line to be a locked group because it needs to be in order to do the alt-click attack order, but some units like archers and flyers should be unlocked to better focus their attacks.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also remember that a unit can be in a locked group, yet still be selected on it's own or in a smaller selection to give it individual orders. This worthwhile to set your starting formation, group and lock the whole thing, and move your entire army up at the start of a match.

The only restriction on groups is that a unit can only be in one group, and you can easily select your melee line a short while before contact and put it in a new locked group for when you order the charge.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

the horrors of war

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

the horrors of war

Definitely doesn't skip leg/rear end day.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

BadOptics posted:

Iron butts and gunpowder are the foundations of the Empire.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Finally started a VC campaign

oh my god why has no one mentioned that the skeletons all walk like old stop motion figures.

because it owns

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

BadOptics posted:

that man has seen things. terrible things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Finally started a VC campaign

oh my god why has no one mentioned that the skeletons all walk like old stop motion figures.

because it owns
they're all perfectly in sync, too. it's really cool.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

the horrors of war

This makes me sad because my comp barely meets the minimum so I never get to enjoy detailed rear end shots like this.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there any major outstanding bugs? I want to wait until the 1st, but I'm super tempted to start my beastmen campaign now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Baron Porkface posted:

Are there any major outstanding bugs? I want to wait until the 1st, but I'm super tempted to start my beastmen campaign now...

None that I have run into or seen anything about at this stage.

• Locked thread