Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I listened to this on my drive to the train and the whole time I was laughing at how obviously broken these people are and how Reddit just tells them it's totally cool and don't tell your family or a shrink because they'll think you are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Does anyone have that 4chan post where someone's Twilight Sparkle tulpa was threatening them? poo poo was jokes.

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.
public post

an amazing friend request

not stupid, just :3: "Image may contain: dog"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So I never listen to 40 minute long podcasts but I had a friend who once confessed to me that they had a tulpa, even though they didn't use that word and probably didn't even know it was a thing. It was told as a deep dark secret which they've never told anyone, and I assumed it was something unique to them. They had created it at a young age, and it was also derived from a fictional character, which seems to be a common theme. That was a really informational podcast which definitely shed some light on some of the commonalities between them

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So what causes this? Loneliness?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well for my sister it was schizophrenia but I'm sure there's other causes.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Panfilo posted:

The podcast says it's lonliness, social anxiety and other things like that.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Adolf Hitler was the worst thing that could possibly happen to the white identity and the best thing to happen for cultural Marxists. You can now never bring up racial truths/the benefits of eugenics without the brainwashed masses whimpering "Buh buh buh, the Holocaust!" Even though white people are responsible for the majority of society's advances, this one fuckwit will forever make defending our culture from invasion and degeneration an extreme taboo.

And don't ever think any praise will be ever given to the men, the innovators and risk-takers of society. Just look at the men's rights movement. We've tried to respectfully point out the massive gap in suicide rates, homeless rates, divorce rape, and education, and what did we get? A skit on SNL calling us misogynists. A woman being "objectified" results in massive outrage from all fronts. Men actually suffering from real problems? You will never get anything more than a shrug and a "meh".

Give me compliments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

TinTower posted:

Does anyone have that 4chan post where someone's Twilight Sparkle tulpa was threatening them? poo poo was jokes.
Google wasn't helpful, but I found multiple arguments between bronies about who was allowed to marry Twilight Sparkle and how offensive it was when other people married a different version of their tulpa pony wife.

And I'm done.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
PRETENTION INBOUND

I'm friends with a community-college poet who, for all his saving graces, is absolutely insufferable online.

And the cream of the crop, a word-salad freeform poem about...something?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Good lord. All of those incomplete sentences. Peepholes into a fractured mind. Pure smugness.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Panfilo posted:

Loneliness and lack of proper social development as preteens/teenagers (and probably some autism). My brother has...I guess the internet would call it a tulpa, but I've always just said "imaginary friend", that he created out of whole cloth when he was hopelessly lonely and first discovering girls at around 13-14. She served as best friend, imaginary girlfriend and his "purpose" in life when he had none of the above, and for whatever reason, he never grew out of it. He didn't tell me about her until a few years later, and she was so cemented in his mind and his personality at that point that even the thought of getting rid of her made him panic, since he didn't know who to be without her. Largely because of her (and being kind of an enormous nerd in general) he didn't have a real girlfriend until 26, and even at 31 now he's still clinging to the vestiges of her because he doesn't know how else to find meaning in his life. I'm one of two people in the world that know how deep the rabbit hole has gotten with her, most people just think he's dorky as poo poo and draws a lot of pictures of the same girl. I suspect his case isn't unique at all; a lot of these kind of kids end up putting their "tulpa"/ideal woman/imaginary friend on such an enormous pedestal that real life and real relationships fall by the wayside. It's really depressing if you think about it for too long.

e: for reference, he's possibly somewhere on the Asperger's end of the spectrum and a functioning alcoholic but otherwise incredibly smart, has a pretty normal if nerdy circle of friends, and isn't terribly unfortunate-looking, so we're not talking someone with major mental disorders or anything.

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Aug 27, 2016

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Front page of our favorite website:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How about just not hating people so much

Could be worth a try???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:rolleyes:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This isn't the funny pictures thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It was on social media. :shrug:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

oldpainless posted:

This isn't the funny pictures thread.

Subversion of expectations post.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

how does she keep finding new ways to get worse

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

PRETENTION INBOUND

Tell your friend I'm gonna pull his shorts down in front of the girls locker room and then throw his bookbag on the gym roof

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It was on social media. :shrug:

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

how does she keep finding new ways to get worse

In the eyes of her supporters, She's Not HillaryTM. At this point, Jill Stein could literally slap a baby in the face and still have supporters vouch for her.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

TheKennedys posted:

Largely because of her (and being kind of an enormous nerd in general) he didn't have a real girlfriend until 26, and even at 31 now he's still clinging to the vestiges of her because he doesn't know how else to find meaning in his life. I'm one of two people in the world that know how deep the rabbit hole has gotten with her, most people just think he's dorky as poo poo and draws a lot of pictures of the same girl. I suspect his case isn't unique at all; a lot of these kind of kids end up putting their "tulpa"/ideal woman/imaginary friend on such an enormous pedestal that real life and real relationships fall by the wayside. It's really depressing if you think about it for too long.

This is really sad. :( I was super lonely and awkward when I was a teenager too, and I can totally see myself going down the same road if I hadn't stumbled upon a handful of weirdos who wanted to be friends with me. Looking back now I'm super grateful that I met them because I was dangerously close to turning into one of those crazy tumblr people with "headmates" and whatnot. And it really was loneliness, I was just so desperate to mean something to someone.

Anyway, I ended up finding the reddit thread where people are discussing the podcast. It seems that the thread was posted by the person they interviewed in the podcast, and they're answering questions.

This is a weird mix of sad and fascinating.

Vanellope has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Aug 27, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Does streaming count as social media?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1u6zHviWk

Warning, loud noises and nerd rage.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Gross Dude posted:

If you want to listen to it, which I would highly recommend, you can find it here: https://gimletmedia.com/episode/74-making-friends/

Click to hear a tulpa say "Massage therapy is my aspiration."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ularg posted:

If I'm watching this right, didn't the guy who gets angry also click "need" as well? The gently caress is he getting mad about?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

puck puck goose posted:

Front page of our favorite website:

Eh, gently caress it given the poo poo I've seen that's way ahead of the curve. He still comes across as an arrogant, clueless shithead but half a point for at least trying.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Nuebot posted:

If I'm watching this right, didn't the guy who gets angry also click "need" as well? The gently caress is he getting mad about?

BECAUSE HE'S THE STREAMER. I don't know, haven't played WoW in 5 years or so but he appears to be in a PUG due to all the different guild tags so I don't know why he would have thought anything other than "everyone rolling need" would have happened on a rare mount. Is this guy a big deal or something?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fullroundaction posted:

BECAUSE HE'S THE STREAMER. I don't know, haven't played WoW in 5 years or so but he appears to be in a PUG due to all the different guild tags so I don't know why he would have thought anything other than "everyone rolling need" would have happened on a rare mount. Is this guy a big deal or something?

He's streaming WoW, so no.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Most likely it's a raid full of his stream viewers, which is why he is offering chat mod powers to whoever gives him the mount. If I was there, I would have given him the mount that he wanted so bad if he didn't instantly started throwing a tantrum about it. But the tantrum is the best part.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it was a raid with his viewers and they had agreed beforehand to give him the mount. Doesn't make his tantrum any less funny/childish though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RatHat posted:

Yeah it was a raid with his viewers and they had agreed beforehand to give him the mount. Doesn't make his tantrum any less funny/childish though.

Makes it funnier that someone who was that far up his rear end was willing to peace out on that with the stupid thing.

I have a WoW mount story, back when Karazan was new the first boss dropped a flaming horse mount and everyone thought it was cool. So it drops for my lovely guild and everyone is excited to roll on it because hey, we finally got something cool. Then the GM just takes it saying that because he's such a good GM he deserves it and we should all be thankful to him.

The guild didn't last through the weekend.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I see that Conservapedia's Bible re-writing project has gone in an interesting direction.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why the gently caress does that dragon comic constantly make it to the front page and how do the comments just keep getting creepier with each iteration

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
poo poo is about to go DOWN

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

puck puck goose posted:

Why the gently caress does that dragon comic constantly make it to the front page and how do the comments just keep getting creepier with each iteration

I'm certain everyone on imgur sees themselves as the grey guy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ularg posted:

Sappy on the Ragnaros server is my new hero.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey Social Media thread, here's your daily quota of scumbags saying heinous poo poo on the internet:

Referring to, of course, the tragic case of Kayla Mueller, and American Doctors Without Borders volunteer subjected to rape and torture by IS in Syria for years. He's deleted the tweet, but holy poo poo, if that's not ban worthy on Twitter, what is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Otisburg posted:

Sappy on the Ragnaros server is my new hero.

I'd feel more bad for McConnell if he wasn't an idiot. Master Looter exists for a reason.