Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

argh what is today, ticket i just got:

Folder that W drive is mapped to show be "SyncData" and under should be "receive/send", see attached screenshot for issue....

attached screenshot shows a drive labeled "W: SyncData", subfolders are received/send

What about using powershell? this technet post looks to be what you need.

I wrote a quick input for their function if you are only going to use it once, it's not pretty but it works!

code:
Param(
	[Parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage = 'Remote Computer Name')]
	[string]$ComputerName
) #end param
  $output = @()
  if(Test-Connection -ComputerName $ComputerName -Count 1 -Quiet){
    $Hive = [long]$HIVE_HKU = 2147483651
    $sessions = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -Class win32_process | ?{$_.name -eq "explorer.exe"}
    if($sessions){
      foreach($explorer in $sessions){
        $sid = ($explorer.GetOwnerSid()).sid
        $owner  = $explorer.GetOwner()
        $RegProv = get-WmiObject -List -Namespace "root\default" -ComputerName $ComputerName | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "StdRegProv"}
        $DriveList = $RegProv.EnumKey($Hive, "$($sid)\Network")
        if($DriveList.sNames.count -gt 0){
          foreach($drive in $DriveList.sNames){
          $output += "$($drive)`t$(($RegProv.GetStringValue($Hive, "$($sid)\Network\$($drive)", "RemotePath")).sValue)`t$($owner.Domain)`t$($owner.user)`t$($ComputerName)"
          }
        }else{write-debug "No mapped drives on $($ComputerName)"}
      }
    }else{write-debug "explorer.exe not running on $($ComputerName)"}
  }else{write-debug "Can't connect to $($ComputerName)"}
  write-Host $output
You will get Drive Letter Path Username for every drive letter at that computer spaced by a tab.

If you need to use it again or want the input to look better it shouldn't be too hard to go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Trying to puzzle out a "should be easy but the solutions I can find work...except they look like poo poo" one here.

New job, only been here for a month. Our head of security is in the process of rolling out a "Welcome to X" powerpoint presentation for visitors. She also wants the weather, road closures, etc to be on it.
I've found a few options for dynamic weather, but the only free ones seem to suck. You put in a website, and it just splats a part of that site in your power point. It does work, but it looks bad.
There's a paid-for option from PresentationPoint that looks cool, but its $150. I'm using LiveWeb, but its not a great display.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I look into using something else? It needs to be editable by a not-very-savvy user. My main concern with powerpoint is that if she wants to update, she'll need to close presentation and re-launch it to grab any updates, which isn't ideal.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

Trying to puzzle out a "should be easy but the solutions I can find work...except they look like poo poo" one here.

New job, only been here for a month. Our head of security is in the process of rolling out a "Welcome to X" powerpoint presentation for visitors. She also wants the weather, road closures, etc to be on it.
I've found a few options for dynamic weather, but the only free ones seem to suck. You put in a website, and it just splats a part of that site in your power point. It does work, but it looks bad.
There's a paid-for option from PresentationPoint that looks cool, but its $150. I'm using LiveWeb, but its not a great display.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I look into using something else? It needs to be editable by a not-very-savvy user. My main concern with powerpoint is that if she wants to update, she'll need to close presentation and re-launch it to grab any updates, which isn't ideal.

This going to display on a monitor/TV in the visitors area?

What you really want isn't powerpoint, but a proper digital signage solution. There are some free ones out there, but I don't really have any experience with them.

We're a reseller for Industry Weapon, which can do everything you want to do, but isn't free.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What you really want isn't powerpoint, but a proper digital signage solution. There are some free ones out there, but I don't really have any experience with them.

We're a reseller for Industry Weapon, which can do everything you want to do, but isn't free.

Correct. Big TV in the security shack (which is the only entrance to the facility).
Thank you, though, that may give me something I can Google and look into! And I'll check your stuff out. Free is better, but the company will pay if the solution is solid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want a more DIY option to piss some time away on then have a look at https://www.screenly.io/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want a more DIY option to piss some time away on then have a look at https://www.screenly.io/

Screenly works beautifully. I loved it.

There's also http://dashing.io/ for all you dashboard nerds.

In any event, get yourself a raspberry bi and google 'kiosk mode'
It's a great way to get what you want for $30 and a few hours of your time.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
We use RMG Networks Symon Digital Appliance for our digital signage, I cannot recommend these. The last generation device had about a 50% failure rate, I was told the new ones would be better, they've had a approximately 60% failure rate.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gunjin posted:

We use RMG Networks Symon Digital Appliance for our digital signage, do not use these. The last generation device had about a 50% failure rate, I was told the new ones would be better, they've had a approximately 60% failure rate.

60% > 50%, it's improved! :eng101:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

What about using powershell? this technet post looks to be what you need.

I wrote a quick input for their function if you are only going to use it once, it's not pretty but it works!

code:
Param(
	[Parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage = 'Remote Computer Name')]
	[string]$ComputerName
) #end param
  $output = @()
  if(Test-Connection -ComputerName $ComputerName -Count 1 -Quiet){
    $Hive = [long]$HIVE_HKU = 2147483651
    $sessions = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -Class win32_process | ?{$_.name -eq "explorer.exe"}
    if($sessions){
      foreach($explorer in $sessions){
        $sid = ($explorer.GetOwnerSid()).sid
        $owner  = $explorer.GetOwner()
        $RegProv = get-WmiObject -List -Namespace "root\default" -ComputerName $ComputerName | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "StdRegProv"}
        $DriveList = $RegProv.EnumKey($Hive, "$($sid)\Network")
        if($DriveList.sNames.count -gt 0){
          foreach($drive in $DriveList.sNames){
          $output += "$($drive)`t$(($RegProv.GetStringValue($Hive, "$($sid)\Network\$($drive)", "RemotePath")).sValue)`t$($owner.Domain)`t$($owner.user)`t$($ComputerName)"
          }
        }else{write-debug "No mapped drives on $($ComputerName)"}
      }
    }else{write-debug "explorer.exe not running on $($ComputerName)"}
  }else{write-debug "Can't connect to $($ComputerName)"}
  write-Host $output
You will get Drive Letter Path Username for every drive letter at that computer spaced by a tab.

If you need to use it again or want the input to look better it shouldn't be too hard to go from here.

I mean, the stuff is handled by GPO, there's a single GPO handling it for all users. So all users have the same mapped drives.

I found out what the ACTUAL issue was, I mis-spelled the folder I pointed the GPO at, so it didn't even map this specific drive. I have no loving clue what he meant or what he was doing, this guy is notorious for making no sense, fucks up QAing poo poo, doesn't read tickets past the first sentence, puts lovely notes in tickets (such as this one) and a host of other problems. He's basically a dumb user except he's a QA guy for us.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Siochain posted:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Siochain posted:

Correct. Big TV in the security shack (which is the only entrance to the facility).
Thank you, though, that may give me something I can Google and look into! And I'll check your stuff out. Free is better, but the company will pay if the solution is solid.

Gonna save this in case anyone asks me for a good example of an X-Y Problem.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 26, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but at least Siochain had enough information in the initial question for someone to infer what they were trying to do, and asked about other options. It wasn't just "How do I solve my powerpoint problem?", there was other information about the intended application, and a direct question asking if they were going about it the right way.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Siochain posted:

We use RiseVision for something fairly similar. It has a basic free option with additional paid options available.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, but at least Siochain had enough information in the initial question for someone to infer what they were trying to do, and asked about other options. It wasn't just "How do I solve my powerpoint problem?", there was other information about the intended application, and a direct question asking if they were going about it the right way.

Its still an ideal for XY just because using powerpoint feels like such an obvious solution, but in reality is probably the worst.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A ticket came in....

"I got a new drive that I want my backup to be placed on" T1 escalates it without even doing anything

*clicks change drive*

"oh wow, i guess I could have done that myself, huh"

"yep"

That by itself is pretty tame but like....today is poo poo. Why do business people wait until friday to get their poo poo together?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The boring answer is because for most of the week they're focused on doing their own jobs.

Or have spent their week procrastinating until they realise there's no more week.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Thanks Ants posted:

There's also http://xibo.org.uk/ which we use for the info screens here.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
An email came in:
:mad:: "Hey our oncall has been getting pages for issues that our specific team doesn't handle! Other people in our project should be paged. We have to fix this!"

:geno:: "Okay, provide me a list of people who should be added based on your project."

:mad:: (Provides an intricate list of 20+ people based on on specific applications within the same project)

:geno:: :stonk:

:mad:: "Also, please don't have your monitoring teams page is outside of business hours for specific applications."

Our monitoring system (HP Openview Operations) uses policies based on the project name (first 3 characters of an application). Monitoring/paging is typically all or nothing. In order to provide them with what they want, we'll have to spawn 20+ new project designations and sub-divide their applications based on time for office hours and non-office hours.

This project has existed as-is for 6+ years with no complaint or comment. :suicide:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

PierreTheMime posted:

An email came in:
:mad:: "Hey our oncall has been getting pages for issues that our specific team doesn't handle! Other people in our project should be paged. We have to fix this!"

:geno:: "Okay, provide me a list of people who should be added based on your project."

:mad:: (Provides an intricate list of 20+ people based on on specific applications within the same project)

:geno:: :stonk:

:mad:: "Also, please don't have your monitoring teams page is outside of business hours for specific applications."

Our monitoring system (HP Openview Operations) uses policies based on the project name (first 3 characters of an application). Monitoring/paging is typically all or nothing. In order to provide them with what they want, we'll have to spawn 20+ new project designations and sub-divide their applications based on time for office hours and non-office hours.

This project has existed as-is for 6+ years with no complaint or comment. :suicide:

"No" or "sorry this falls outside of our SOP for alerting and we can't do this. The policy is all or nothing alerting"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Ghostlight posted:

Also not if you're running on-premises.

That's not true at all. You just have to federate with consumer Skype.

source: We run SfB 2015 on prem and have conversations with consumer Skype regularly.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Screenly works beautifully. I loved it.

There's also http://dashing.io/ for all you dashboard nerds.

In any event, get yourself a raspberry bi and google 'kiosk mode'
It's a great way to get what you want for $30 and a few hours of your time.

I'm in the middle of setting up 4 of them attached to TVs to show various monitoring bits, weather, traffic etc. in the IT area.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A week of "Oncall" came in. My companies vision of oncall is that from 6am to 830am and 530pm to 11pm you are responsible for responding to any-all alerts, tickets, or issues that come in and "resolving" all 'emergency' issues as well. Of course everything is an emergency in my company so :smithicide:.

Oh and the response times are 15 minutes, and you're still expected to work the full day shift (an hour early offset so that you're in the office because reasons)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
At the car dealership getting an oil change and free burgs, just sit down and get a call:

:downs:: "A requestor asked that we restart an aborted process and I can't find it."

:geno:: "Okay, have you you checked back a few days to make sure your search wasn't being clipped?"

:downs:: "Yes I've tried everything and cannot find it. I'm on chat with the requestor right now and they say they need this done immediately. Can you help?"

:geno:: (Car will be ready in a half hour, staring at burger) "Uh let me call them..."

"Hey, the L1s can't find your process. Is this an emergency?"

:): "Nope, not at all, it needs to be done before midnight. I have no idea why they can't find it I even sent them a picture."

Turns out that the application starts with H01 and the ticket said HO1, every single other detail was correct, including its PID. But without looking at anything they out that in the filter and showed zero results. Any amount of independent thought would have fixed this in 2 seconds. :negative:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

A week of "Oncall" came in. My companies vision of oncall is that from 6am to 830am and 530pm to 11pm you are responsible for responding to any-all alerts, tickets, or issues that come in and "resolving" all 'emergency' issues as well. Of course everything is an emergency in my company so :smithicide:.

Oh and the response times are 15 minutes, and you're still expected to work the full day shift (an hour early offset so that you're in the office because reasons)

How exactly are you supposed to go anywhere or do anything if you have to be within 15 minutes of a work computer at all times? I'm not sure how you would even be able to commute to or from work like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of the best things about my field technician job was being able to say"no, I can't make that urgent ticket for something that could wait weeks" because the place closed before I would be able to fix the problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My last job had basically this expectation, but we worked 12 hour shifts, and the on-call was 24/7 for the week we were on. I got overtime if I got called out but no extra compensation otherwise(yay contractor status!)

Response did just mean answering the phone tho, if I was 30 minutes from a computer I just communicated that and got to my laptop ASAP. I've had friends whos on-call meant pulling over to the side of the road and tethering from there even if they were on the way into the office when the call came in.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Kurieg posted:

How exactly are you supposed to go anywhere or do anything if you have to be within 15 minutes of a work computer at all times? I'm not sure how you would even be able to commute to or from work like that.

I've had to pull over on the side of a highway on more than a single occasion. Some nights it's a goddamn boss rush of lovely issues/clients

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I've had to pull over on the side of a highway on more than a single occasion. Some nights it's a goddamn boss rush of lovely issues/clients

gently caress yeah man risk your life for those amazing SLA numbers

Team player right here.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

gently caress yeah man risk your life for those amazing SLA numbers

Team player right here.

Sleeping in your car to make someone else wealthy. gently caress yeah.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 28, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sickening posted:

Sleeping in your car to make someone else wealthy. gently caress yeah.

what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If you find yourself driving at all hours of the night , needing to pull over to sleep in your car, realize you are probably doing it to make someone else a lot of money.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sickening posted:

If you find yourself driving at all hours of the night , needing to pull over to sleep in your car, realize you are probably doing it to make someone else a lot of money.

That's kinda what happened to me at my last job. We got busy with the EMV switch over, and my boss demanded I come in earlier every day to compensate. I would have to come in an hour early every day, and I have a 35 minute commute each way between work and home. It got worse when I began to get yelled at for being out of the office, unable to return phone calls because I was driving an hour in each direction to client sites for scheduled appointments and assorted emergencies. Then I began working 10-11 hour days on Fridays every week to catch up on the office stuff. After ~4 months straight of that, I began to notice I was getting tired at the wheel. Of course, I couldn't stop to nap, and notifying my boss(not in writing. should've gotten it in writing) resulted in him literally telling me to deal with it, that I still had to come in early every day to cover the increased demand. Requests to hire a new guy to help me fell on deaf ears.

Then one day, late into the winter, I'm driving to a client for an emergency appointment. It was 15 minutes till I was supposed to clock out, I had already worked a 10 hour day, and the client was 45 minutes away from the office. I spaced out/fell asleep at the wheel, drifted into the other side of the road and head-on'd a van. Thankfully, the speed limit was 30 and not 55, and thankfully no one was hurt, and thankfully it was in the company car and not my own. Over the next two months, they started having 3 of my 4 supervisors go on the appointments instead of me, and since I was in the office at all times, I no longer had to come in early. Then they hired a new guy, had me train him, and fired me for "lack of performance" 3 weeks after he started.

To be fair, my "performance" was pretty much non-existent by that point anyway. I had already been completely demotivated to do any work by my one supervisor repeatedly telling me to basically suck it up and offering no hint of support, ignoring me when I told him I was getting burnt out, and just continuing to lay into me about not meeting demands, to the point that he treated me like he was my disappointed father instead of my boss.

That was 4 months ago. I'm still looking for a new job. Hopefully one that's a bit more active than "sit in an office chair for 8 hours every day".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sickening posted:

I read that as needing to pull over to open up the laptop, presumably on some sort of tethering.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

fishmech posted:

I read that as needing to pull over to open up the laptop, presumably on some sort of tethering.

Lol yea, same here which is why I'm confused by the response.

e: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i quoted fishmech

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

KoRMaK posted:

Lol yea, same here which is why I'm confused by the response.

e: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i quoted fishmech

Could be worse, could have quoted Stymie. Fishmech at least says things which are technically correct.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

So there's absolutely nothing that you can do at all? That's hosed up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When they started that poo poo is when I would have started looking for a new job. And then quit without notice.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

neogeo0823 posted:

tons of words

Why can't you sue?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SEKCobra posted:

Why can't you sue?

Unless HE was injured in the accident it doesn't seem like he'd have much of a case. He should contact the family he had the accident with and have them sue the company since he was in a company car driving to a client site.

Unless he has a very detailed paper trail, though, the company is going to hang him out to dry by saying, "our employee made a bad decision without consulting his supervisor or anyone else at the company." So they're going to lose too.

So yeah, welcome to 'Merica. Make sure to get all illegal poo poo in writing so you can cover your rear end and have evidence for when you need to go bring a claim against the company.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Its still an ideal for XY just because using powerpoint feels like such an obvious solution, but in reality is probably the worst.

It was indeed an X-Y (even for me). Its a project that just kind of got thrust into my lap on Friday. I ~knew~ there had to be something better than powerpoint out there, but I need to get at least something done for now. Spoke with the head of security about it, they love the idea of being able to scale this, and are going to get some money budgeted for actual software and more hardware. So for the next few months, it'll be a lovely powerpoint, but I'll be working on a proper digital signage system rollout.

And this is why I ask in these forums - people are loving awesome. Albeit I know digital signage exists, I've never used it, and thus it wasn't top of mind. Lots of people with different skillsets can help you think outside the box a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Wish me luck guys and gals, after seven years as a waiter and bartender I'm called in for an interview for a back-end PHP developer position at one of the larger local communications agencies. Apparently I scored well on the online skill test I did in ten minutes this morning. I had almost abandoned all hope, as a 37-year-old with no formal education and having mostly worked support since I was 16.

Luckily, I do better in interviews than on paper and have aced them for all IT positions I have applied for ever. So stoked!

YOTJ?

• Locked thread