Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

just going to say I didn't notice this thread before I purchased my dashcam, but picked up a blackvue dr650gw-2ch.

Same. Nice setup though it does mention that it burns through flash cards in the manual. I haven't had mine fail yet but I'm replacing it anyway due to age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm going to assume that this was some sort of an attempt at insurance fraud by this car driver, but holy crap what a terrible idea.

This is actually sort of an ad for the dash cam company, but it's pretty amazing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQR5RC-NiQk

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New aussie dashcam crash compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlgU_xgp_k

It's great when you can tell where the crashes happened, good to know dickheads live nearby.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'm going to assume that this was some sort of an attempt at insurance fraud by this car driver, but holy crap what a terrible idea.

This is actually sort of an ad for the dash cam company, but it's pretty amazing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQR5RC-NiQk

Given the drift wide at first, I'll say they just freaked the gently caress out and overcorrected when they started on the rumble strip.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the drift wide at first, I'll say they just freaked the gently caress out and overcorrected when they started on the rumble strip.

Certainly possible, it just looked like he intentionally steered left and then quickly back right, rather than a 'drift' to the left.

Going to call him pretty lucky regardless of why it happened, as it looked like he got away with a fairly small amount of damage and didn't roll it going off the road.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

drunkill posted:

New aussie dashcam crash compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlgU_xgp_k

It's great when you can tell where the crashes happened, good to know dickheads live nearby.

I really like when these compilations have a crash from multiple angles. I don't know why.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I got one of those Yi cams in. Works great and the picture quality is better than any others I have seen so far. Looking forward to blasting pickup truck drivers on Facebook and slow Mo replays of deer bouncing off my moose bumper.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 10, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Motorcycle rider tries to be a stuntman, guess what happens next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPRKfmjr1Y

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So what's the most reliable, lowest cost dashcam out there these days? I looked at the last few pages but it's all just videos of idiots on the road.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Midniter posted:

So what's the most reliable, lowest cost dashcam out there these days? I looked at the last few pages but it's all just videos of idiots on the road.

I like my Mobius and they are good value for money and reliable.

Cheaper than that and quality becomes an issue.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

The Midniter posted:

The Mobius is the general consensus. The G1W is also OK if you buy from the right place (blueskysea) but it seems that it's not unusual for them to wear out after about 6 months to a year so I would stick to the mobius for a couple extra bucks. I don't think anyone in here has had one of those really die yet.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Scruff McGruff posted:

The Mobius is the general consensus. The G1W is also OK if you buy from the right place (blueskysea) but it seems that it's not unusual for them to wear out after about 6 months to a year so I would stick to the mobius for a couple extra bucks. I don't think anyone in here has had one of those really die yet.

I liked the A118/B40 for its form factor. The quality was ok, though the focus was on the hood, not the cars ahead. Not noticeable unless you really watch it on the big screen, and one can adjust it (there is a tutorial online, need to take apart the housing). Did not like that it sometimes randomly stopped recording, did shorter clips or looped the same sound recording over and over (really annoying, I read out a license plate once of a cop who was asking us to bribe him before he would hand back our passports and car papers in AZ, instead I had a looped recording on all videos of that day). Figured out later that it does not play well with the heat.

Bought a Mini 0806 after the trip. Prefer the menu, the button, the mounting with the GPS staying in the car and being able to just take the camera of easily without having to unplug the cable. I never take it out when parking as I'm not afraid of theft, but I prefer to take it upstairs and taking the microSD-cards out there as they can get lost easily in the car. It has two MicroSD-slots which it can fill up one after another. Quality is great, though it also suffers from a slight focussing issue. Not as bad, and I am sure I could adjust it somehow. On the other hand the battery inside has ballooned up in size and the case is partially deformed from the heat this summer. I am in Midwestern Europe, so no excessive heat as such. Quite disappointing, though it still works great and I really prefer the mounting options of the Mini 0806 and the A118/D40 over the alternatives.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have two G1Ws and an A118c and all three are trucking after 2 years in Phoenix.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have a G1W that stopped working after a few months of daily driving in my Forester.

I also have a Cobra 840 that worked great for 45 minutes and then quit on me. After sitting on my desk on a charger for several months it decided to start working again and I found I had hours worth of recordings of my desk.

Nothing else I've ever plugged into the cig lighter outlet in that car has died, so I'm pretty sure dashcams just suck and I don't trust them to be running and recording when I need them to.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The mobius is a fine workhorse do-all camera but the clarity suffers bad with the wide angle lenses (particularly bad at capturing plates) and it tends not to handle lighting extremes very elegantly.

For the $75 or whatever I dropped on it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but the temptation exists to spend more and get something nicer.

As an insurance policy against hearsay and other petty nonsense that happens on the road it does just fine.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I have a G1W that stopped working after a few months of daily driving in my Forester.

I also have a Cobra 840 that worked great for 45 minutes and then quit on me. After sitting on my desk on a charger for several months it decided to start working again and I found I had hours worth of recordings of my desk.

Nothing else I've ever plugged into the cig lighter outlet in that car has died, so I'm pretty sure dashcams just suck and I don't trust them to be running and recording when I need them to.
This has been my experience with many dashcams, as well. It seems like the dashcam market has two segments: crappy, made in China devices with Engrish instructions OR super expensive GPSes that have an after-thought dashcam built-in. And everyone's experiences with the China manufactured units seems to vary significantly.

It really makes picking a half-decent dashcam really tough.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

melon cat posted:

This has been my experience with many dashcams, as well. It seems like the dashcam market has two segments: crappy, made in China devices with Engrish instructions OR super expensive GPSes that have an after-thought dashcam built-in. And everyone's experiences with the China manufactured units seems to vary significantly.

It really makes picking a half-decent dashcam really tough.

To make things even worse, someone start producing a chinese dashcam that's ok then you suddenly get 100 exact copy clones that are poo poo and it becomes impossible to know whether you got the ok cam or a poo poo one. So you end up with the discussion on cams being half "which models are good?" and the other half is "what sellers are legit?".

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CSOD7VO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one of these for my car, liked it, so i bought a second for my truck. Definitely worth $35.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've had a lot of luck with my Mini 0803. Sometimes it hangs on startup but that is easily fixed by putting it on an ON circuit instead of ACC circuit (since it seems to only be triggered by the voltage spike/drop of starting the car)

the only other problem I face is having to manually clear the card because my suspension is stiff enough that the G sensor triggers on every pot hole I hit.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got this mobius in my cart right now (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPXYVQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39N5HV5QW0N2O) but before I plunk down the $100 I have a question. With what's in the kit can I just plug it in to the lighter and always have it powered? Or wire it into fuse box? I don't want to deal with having to charge anything, because I'll end up forgetting and that will defeat the sole purpose of having it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got this mobius in my cart right now (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPXYVQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39N5HV5QW0N2O) but before I plunk down the $100 I have a question. With what's in the kit can I just plug it in to the lighter and always have it powered? Or wire it into fuse box? I don't want to deal with having to charge anything, because I'll end up forgetting and that will defeat the sole purpose of having it.

Generally (but not always) lighters work off the accessory circuit so it gets power when you turn the car on, thus the camera will turn on when the car turns on and then turn off once you turn the car off. You can just leave it in the lighter 24/7 and be fine. It's certainly possible to add it to the fuse box, either to the accessory fuse so you don't need to use the lighter, or into an always powered circuit. But if you run it to an always on circuit make sure you have a power management device as well so it doesn't inadvertently kill your car battery.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That kit in particular is what I got for my girlfriend's car and it comes with a USB port that drives off the lighter that you plug the camera into. It's entirely plug-and-forget after that and will turn on and off with the car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm pretty happy with my a118c. Quality could be better at night. If there's ever an upgraded version with the same for factor I'll buy it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

8ender posted:

I'm pretty happy with my a118c. Quality could be better at night. If there's ever an upgraded version with the same for factor I'll buy it.

https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/

I have one, it's really drat good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here are some photos from today of my Yi dashcam.

https://imgur.com/a/xwrgN

All in all pretty happy with the quality for $75 Canadian shipped.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Genius DVR-HD500D is still working. It was compatible with a 32gb card, came with front and rear cameras which it continuously records along with audio, and was worth the $100 I paid.
The mount is starting to get a little loose.
The audio is hosed up, but I'm 95% sure that's due to a problem with my car rather than with the camera itself - there's tons of EM interference and the car's ground is definitely bad (everyone else who has owned a 2001-3 protege 5 has reported the same issue of being shocked every time they get out of the car). Basically you hear a lot of alternator noise on the audio which varies in time with the engine revs.
The "night vision" mode is worthless, all it seems to do is turn on four LEDs mounted on the front of the cam.
The controls are very useful and good. It has a screen, you can see picture-in-picture or just watch the front or rear cam, you can clearly see when it's recording, and the button to tell it to permanently store the most recent file is easy to mash without looking.

Despite the drawbacks, I think a dual-cam system with mounting hardware for $100 that is still working after a year is pretty good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's actually really cool that it does rear camera as well for that price, I might get one.

That being said, getting shocked when getting out of the car is all about the interior and door design and materials used, not the grounding strap, it's because your foot movements on the carpet and rear end/back movements on the seat getting out of the car are causing static electricity buildup on your body which is then discharged when you touch a metal portion of the door. You can't blame that on a ground strap under the hood, unfortunately, but if you keep a hand on the door frame or door latch catch post while getting out, it should stop happening.

The whine may be a ground strap issue, but is usually an alternator with one or more shorted rectifiers in the rectifier pack or a poor ground somewhere in the ignition system.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, other Protege5 owners report the exact same thing, regardless of what we're wearing or how old the car is. So I'm convinced there's a design flaw of some kind.

I'll look into replacing the alternator, though, if it's not too expensive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the purpose of the supercapacitor or battery in a dashcam? Flushing the buffer? Continuing to record in a severe accident where the 12 V supply fails? Recording people loving with the car while it’s parked? Just running the clock so your timestamps are reliable?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

What’s the purpose of the supercapacitor or battery in a dashcam? Flushing the buffer? Continuing to record in a severe accident where the 12 V supply fails? Recording people loving with the car while it’s parked? Just running the clock so your timestamps are reliable?

At the very least, you need the system to have enough power for a graceful shutdown once the car power is cut (i.e. to finish writing the files to the card)

You can then have teh option for fancy stuff: such as continuing to record for a few mins after the engien is off (handy if you have a crash and the power gets cut: it might be nice to record your fisticuffs with the other driver)

Some have the option of coming back to life if they get a vibration shock.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had a Protege 5 and the alternator whine is real. Anything that gets plugged into the lighter socket experiences it and the stupid thing sounds like a supercharger outside the car

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

It's really hard to make a battery that doesn't explode and/or leak acid when exposed to extreme temperature fluctuation, like if it was stuck to a windshield all the time. Capacitors can't match the power storage without getting huge, but they're quite a bit more durable and like spog said usually it just wants 30 seconds of power to shut down when you turn the car off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/

I have one, it's really drat good.

Looks like there's a V2 out now. If you're in the U.S. Pier 28 is a well known member / vendor on the dash cam talk site. Looks like they now have stock in Amazon Canada warehouses too.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

CharlesM posted:

Looks like there's a V2 out now. If you're in the U.S. Pier 28 is a well known member / vendor on the dash cam talk site. Looks like they now have stock in Amazon Canada warehouses too.

Currently waiting for this one to come back in stock on Amazon Canada. I've seen postings on Dashcamtalk about the exposure issue, so hopefully that's just a firmware fix. My Mini 0805's battery is definitely suffering from our summer, it can work for about a minute on battery mode if immediately charged beforehand, but it will try to charge it forever if just left plugged in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: you know what maybe I shouldn't make this public yet, sorry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 25, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxYsv0EnCw

The raw files are better, but the white balance is still poo poo. But, for $35...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blacksys-ch100b-2ch-dash-camera
BlackSys CH100B 2CH Dash Camera
I have no particular opinion about this camera, which is currently on massdrop for about $250, but the features list looks pretty nice.

quote:

Full HD Video & Motion Detection

The slim-profile BlackSys CH100B Dash Camera helps you document accidents and unexpected scenarios and protects you against insurance fraud and other scams. With a two-channel 2.1 megapixel Sony CMOS sensor, its front-facing camera delivers full HD video output, while the rear-facing camera shoots at 720p. Parking mode uses motion-sensing technology to record 10 seconds prior to and 20 seconds after detection in case your car is hit while parked—you can utilize the same settings with the emergency button, which automatically saves files separately with one click. In case of sudden movements or impact, Event Recording automatically saves videos separately so they won’t be deleted when space is full.

Note: At checkout, you may select a 16GB, 32GB (+$20), or 64GB (+$25) memory card. You will also have the option to add on the dual band GPS sensor (+$25). This drop is limited to 40 cameras.

quote:

Specs

BlackSys
Texas Instruments CPU
Dual band GPS (Optional)
Sensor: 2-channel 2.1 MP Sony CMOS
Front camera: 1920 x 1080p, 30 FPS, 6 Mbps
Rear camera: 1080 x 720p, 30 FPS, 4 Mbps
Viewing angle (front): 135 degrees
Viewing angle (rear): 130 degrees
Shock sensor: Tri-axial shock detection G-sensor
Memory storage: Supports up to 128 GB
WiFi (2.4ghz 802.11 b/g/n) app supports access to latest firmware
Video format: H.264 (AVI)
Records in 3 or 5 minute clips
Built-in speaker and mic (mic can be disabled)
Voltage cutoff
Temperature cutoff
Security LED function
Time and date stamp
Supports 21 different languages
Operational temperature: -4 to 158 degrees F (-20 to 70 degrees C)
Dimensions (front): 2.3 x 3.9 x 1.3 in (5.8 x 10 x 3.4 cm)
Dimensions (rear): 2 x 1 x 1.2 in (5 x 2.6 x 3.1 cm)
Weight (front): 3.5 oz (98 g)
Weight (rear): 0.9 oz (25 g)

Included

Front camera (main unit)
Rear camera
16GB MicroSD card
Cigarette jack cable
WiFi dongle
Holder
Power cable
6-meter cable for rear camera
5 cable holders
User manual

Shipping

Domestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated ship date is Sep 14, 2016.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Blackboxmycar sells it and highly recommends it before their more expensive think ware option. I'm probably going to buy one for each car and setup valet mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
A dashcam thread! Neat! I looked at the last few pages and didn't see if anyone else is using a smart phone - I have my old Bionic that I never bothered to sell, so I got a mount, installed Caroo and it works like a charm. Is it a problem that I op not to have it record audio? I don't see why it would be necessary...

Here's the only worthwhile thing I've caught with it so far after a little over a year of use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2akzZIqVYk