Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LODGE NORTH posted:

HEY! Anyone using a 32GB iPad Pro? About to buy one on ebay for about $600 but I wanted to make sure that I won't think of it as a small amount of space. I have a 16GB Air 1 now, and, for what i use it for, it has barely enough space.

If you're sorta used to a 16GB iPad then a 32GB is probably fine. I imagine you'll have to continue not using much in the way of non-cloud photos, videos, music, etc. though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I use Netflix mostly for movies and have iCloud Music or whatever it's called for music. I'm hoping it doesn't become one of those things where 32GB seems big enough now but once I realize the freedom of more space, it becomes too small.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Thanks for making me appreciate my iPad Pro more!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Making the jump to full iOS no OS X accept for an old Mac mini hooked up to my tv. The 12.9 keyboard feels great. All I'm nervous about is, is the 12.9 due for an upgrade soon?

I played with true tone and don't really see a difference. When I would really want that feature would be at night and there's night shift for that...

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
It might get upgraded in a few months because its been almost a year since it came out but it's still great. I got it near launch and I've pretty much switched to iPad Pro only. Sold my MacBook to pay for it. There are apps for everything you need, and now it has Office on there so you can do your writing poo poo. Worst case you can use Splashtop to remote into your Mac Mini if you NEED OSX for something.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

HEY! Anyone using a 32GB iPad Pro? About to buy one on ebay for about $600 but I wanted to make sure that I won't think of it as a small amount of space. I have a 16GB Air 1 now, and, for what i use it for, it has barely enough space.
I am and it's fine. Been using it since March. Read comic books, Final Draft, Dropbox, ProCreate, Plex, Outlook, VNC to my iMac....no problems. I don't take many photos or videos on it despite the awesome camera. I love it and it is filling the gap until the new MBPs come out.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What do y'all use for a handwriting note app, ideally with text recognition?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Goodnotes.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Housh posted:

I am and it's fine. Been using it since March. Read comic books, Final Draft, Dropbox, ProCreate, Plex, Outlook, VNC to my iMac....no problems. I don't take many photos or videos on it despite the awesome camera. I love it and it is filling the gap until the new MBPs come out.

What are you using for VNC? I've been holed up with Ignition for a few years but now that I can't add new PCs without a yearly fee I've been playing with Splashtop but I'm always looking for something better.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Been great so far.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

GoatSeeGuy posted:

What are you using for VNC? I've been holed up with Ignition for a few years but now that I can't add new PCs without a yearly fee I've been playing with Splashtop but I'm always looking for something better.
I have been using RealVNC for a few years now without problems. I bought a single license for the 1 computer I access and the support for it expired years ago but its been fine. I mainly use it to maintain the family Plex server.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Screens is really awesome. It goes on sale for half price from time to time and doesn't need a companion app in the Mac. Just the screen sharing turned on

rio
Mar 20, 2008

the panacea posted:

I like my iPad Pro but it is an expensive gadget and still very much limited in terms of its capabilities if you compare it to a laptop. Even if apple wants to make you believe otherwise.

To be honest I sometimes wonder if a Surface Pro would've been a safer choice.

There are certain niches that nothing else can compare to, though. I was thinking the same thing when I dropped the money on my Pro and then realized that it would replace every book of sheet music I will ever use. I freelance and if I am playing with violins and cellos and whatnot, seeing them struggle with page turns and having a billion clips on their music stand while pages fly away, I am sitting there turning pages with a Bluetooth pedal and looking at full size sheets of music thanks to the big screen. Annotate with the pencil, writing music (I have always preferred hand writing music) and still getting computer generated style music...yes it sucks that it can't be more full featured in most regards like a laptop (no camera raw support I am looking at you :colbert:) but for those with a niche to fill it is like living in Star Trek or something. When I was getting my last tattoo done the artist was pining over the Pro because, similarly, it would have been a huge time saver for her and drastically improve her time spent doing her thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Got an iPad Pro for $530 with cellular. Wish me luck.

e: Where can I buy a Smart Keyboard that fell off a truck

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 27, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rio posted:

There are certain niches that nothing else can compare to, though. I was thinking the same thing when I dropped the money on my Pro and then realized that it would replace every book of sheet music I will ever use. I freelance and if I am playing with violins and cellos and whatnot, seeing them struggle with page turns and having a billion clips on their music stand while pages fly away, I am sitting there turning pages with a Bluetooth pedal and looking at full size sheets of music thanks to the big screen. Annotate with the pencil, writing music (I have always preferred hand writing music) and still getting computer generated style music...yes it sucks that it can't be more full featured in most regards like a laptop (no camera raw support I am looking at you :colbert:) but for those with a niche to fill it is like living in Star Trek or something. When I was getting my last tattoo done the artist was pining over the Pro because, similarly, it would have been a huge time saver for her and drastically improve her time spent doing her thing.

Are you sure you don't get RAW support? The SD card adapter will pull sony raws off my card and the embedded JPEG previews work fine, as well as some editing apps (a few crash with memory errors).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Making the jump to full iOS no OS X accept for an old Mac mini hooked up to my tv. The 12.9 keyboard feels great. All I'm nervous about is, is the 12.9 due for an upgrade soon?

I played with true tone and don't really see a difference. When I would really want that feature would be at night and there's night shift for that...
True tone and night shift can have a similar effect, but it's not the same purpose (perceived color accuracy vs reducing evil blue light rays) or how it's getting there even. Night shift is a static adjustment to a warmer profile, while true tone is dynamic based on the ambient lighting. If you happen to be in an area with warm lighting they'll probably look similar, but if you're working in something like a cool lit environment at night (...which might not be a common situation at home) they'll be different. Like true tone will look correct vs night shift being overly warm.

In theory at least :v:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

For VNC (or just Mac screen sharing really) I use Jump Desktop, along with Chrome Remote Desktop for a few PCs where I'm too lazy to install a VNC server.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Anyone use a Logitech Create keyboard on their 9.7? Reviews are saying it's badass but that it does double the weight and limit your viewing angles relative to the Smart Keyboard, but I want to know how you guys feel about its weight change. I had an iHome case that used an aluminum magnet to lock itself into place and that has to have doubled the weight or even tripled it to the point where taking the iPad out of the case made it feel like a feather.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyone use a Logitech Create keyboard on their 9.7? Reviews are saying it's badass but that it does double the weight and limit your viewing angles relative to the Smart Keyboard, but I want to know how you guys feel about its weight change. I had an iHome case that used an aluminum magnet to lock itself into place and that has to have doubled the weight or even tripled it to the point where taking the iPad out of the case made it feel like a feather.
I love my K811. I have the smart case so i just stand up my 9.7 in whatever angle or position I feel like and use my K811 that is light and fits in my bag. It can switch fast to different devices so I sometimes use it when I'm working with my iMac and iPad.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Are you sure you don't get RAW support? The SD card adapter will pull sony raws off my card and the embedded JPEG previews work fine, as well as some editing apps (a few crash with memory errors).

The raws transfer but any edits are done to the jpeg.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have one for my 12.9" and it's really heavy. It really makes the thing feel like a laptop in a bad way

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That being said anyone have the 12.9 with apple keyboard and how's it feel?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

That being said anyone have the 12.9 with apple keyboard and how's it feel?

I like it - it's feels great when typing. I wish it was backlit though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

LODGE NORTH posted:

I bought an iPad Pro 9.7 (128 GB) and I have many games and eBooks installed for my business hotel days and nights, I use it for Podcasts to listen over bluetooth in my car and my iTunes library as well.
I already had 50 GB of space used after the first days....
You gonna buy a nice tech gimmick and powerful playtoy, so please do not limit yourself with 32 GB (~ 28 GB usable afaik).
You wanna fool around and use/test many Apps and stuff?
I would hate having to delete stuff, but again, personal choices (if not budget)

e: oh you bought one, congrats and have fun!

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 27, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

I like it - it's feels great when typing. I wish it was backlit though.

Ah no I mean closed and like carrying around how's the bulk

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Curious on this one: when you get music from an outside source, how do you upload it to your iPad? Do you have a scanner at home?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Duckman2008 posted:

Curious on this one: when you get music from an outside source, how do you upload it to your iPad? Do you have a scanner at home?

You could use an iOS scanner app too like Scanner Pro.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

I bought an iPad Pro 9.7 (128 GB) and I have many games and eBooks installed for my business hotel days and nights, I use it for Podcasts to listen over bluetooth in my car and my iTunes library as well.
I already had 50 GB of space used after the first days....
You gonna buy a nice tech gimmick and powerful playtoy, so please do not limit yourself with 32 GB (~ 28 GB usable afaik).
You wanna fool around and use/test many Apps and stuff?
I would hate having to delete stuff, but again, personal choices (if not budget)

e: oh you bought one, congrats and have fun!

I went with 32GB since I do a lot of more hands-on stuff with my phone anyway. I really only plan on using the iPad for browsing, streaming movies and music via Apple Music, never bothering with personal videos or music, but a lot of games. I did that on my old Air that had 16GB and I managed to have just enough outside of wishing I had one or two more GB to download Hitman Go or something like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For me it feels pretty good. I don't feel like it adds much bulk at all. I really like the Smart Keyboard.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I might buy a Create and just return it if I don't like it like normal people do.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I scan my own music or music given to me with a scanner app. I have every fake book ever on an app called igigbook - if you play jazz you reaaaally want this. It indexes each book so all you have to put in is a song name and it shows you every book that has the song. For music people ask for (weddings and whatnot) I use sheetmusicdirect, or imslp if it is classical. Any scanned music and downloaded pdf file goes into forscore (which is also awesome).

Speaking of scanning, I forget what I am using but does anyone know of a scanner that would let me scan multiple pages and then export to another app as a pdf?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I might buy a Create and just return it if I don't like it like normal people do.
I got it with the iPad used from SA Mart, so I don't have that option, but I absolutely would.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bulky. Thicker than a macbook air.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

But this guy just said the opposite :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rio posted:

Speaking of scanning, I forget what I am using but does anyone know of a scanner that would let me scan multiple pages and then export to another app as a pdf?

I use Genius Scan on iPhone for this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I absolutely do not think that is the case. The Smart Keyboard isn't that thick.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't have an Air, but it is absolutely not bulky. It is as thin as a Smart Cover for part of it and sticks out about a quarter inch further than that for the keyboard part (when closed, that is). It doesn't add much weight but it is noticeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rio posted:

Scanner Pro is the one true scanner app.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

But this guy just said the opposite :(

I said it was bulky - I didn't say I didn't like it. I also own a macbook 2016 and a macbook pro. The iPad Pro w/ smartcover is thick as gently caress. Doesn't mean I don't like it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

MarcusSA posted:

I absolutely do not think that is the case. The Smart Keyboard isn't that thick.

Fold up your ipad pro w/ smart keyboard and compare it to the thickness of a new 2016/2015 macbook and prove me wrong.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I mean, the iPad Pro naked is thicker than the Macbook.