Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah a big reason tf1 gets so much love is because of how insane and fast paced the gameplay was. Camping and spawn killing pretty much doesn't exist.

I know I'm being pretty critical of the new one so far but I loved the first game and it doesn't seem like a lot of the features that made it so great are going to be in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

this game is cool and good, but grappling hook should def be a standard ability that every pilot has.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

super macho dude posted:

this game is cool and good, but grappling hook should def be a standard ability that every pilot has.

Yeah, this.

I also don't really think twitchiness is a selling point for me, so if it's less-so than TF1 I probably won't be offended. But it remains to be seen whether I can still have fun with multiplayer FPS games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

It was the bread-and-butter gamemode for TF1, the only one that's even played anymore. It was really solid and a lot of fun with the AI roaming around, seems like it's done away with.

I thought the highest pop game mode in TF1 for a while now was just pilot v pilot.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I thought the highest pop game mode in TF1 for a while now was just pilot v pilot.

Nah literally the only mode people play in Tf1 nowadays is attrition with a whopping ~300 players lol (at least on PC). The pilot only mode was dead within a few weeks IIRC

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Same on Xbox. Attrition playlist population would be at 1500+ while pilot skirmish would barely be like 8 players. (This is within the last few months)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

Nah literally the only mode people play in Tf1 nowadays is attrition with a whopping ~300 players lol (at least on PC). The pilot only mode was dead within a few weeks IIRC

I don't know where I heard that from, but they were wrong then

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm glad that the discerning TF player recognizes that TDM is the worst

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The network test last weekend was the first time I've played Titanfall and the only mode I would play is classic TDM but you can call in Titans, which as I understand was a mode in TF1.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

The network test last weekend was the first time I've played Titanfall and the only mode I would play is classic TDM but you can call in Titans, which as I understand was a mode in TF1.

Yeah that was the pilot hunter mode. The problem people had with it was the maps were so big they felt empty without bots. Also without bots it took a lot longer to get your Titan.

Edit: it's weird that the one mode they brought back is the one no one liked lol

Antoine Silvere fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 26, 2016

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
My favorite game modes were Last Titan Standing and Pilot Hunter (not to be confused with Pilot Skirmish). I hated Marked for Death. Mostly for the reason that it highlighted your position to everyone. Frontier Defense was super cool too because it could get so manic. Especially when an entire wave was nothing but Nuke Titans.

I wonder if Attrition is gone because it required a lot of AI computations. I remember something about Titanfall using a bunch of Microsoft servers to offload all of its AI pathing and whatnot. If a game mode was largely AI dependent like Attrition or Frontier Defense, it may have gotten cut because Respawn doesn't have an equivalent solution for the AI.

EDIT for above: Pilot Hunter had bots but only Pilot kills counted for score.

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Peach Pusher posted:

Thank god I had the ability to have fun in the other non-attrition modes in TF1. I don't really get the 'attrition only' mentality.
As someone who mainly played Hardpoint in TF1 I was pretty sad to find out they removed AI from the game mode. I'm hoping they go and add AI to all the modes but somehow I get the feeling they won't. :(

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Brutakas posted:

My favorite game modes were Last Titan Standing and Pilot Hunter (not to be confused with Pilot Skirmish). I hated Marked for Death. Mostly for the reason that it highlighted your position to everyone. Frontier Defense was super cool too because it could get so manic. Especially when an entire wave was nothing but Nuke Titans.

I wonder if Attrition is gone because it required a lot of AI computations. I remember something about Titanfall using a bunch of Microsoft servers to offload all of its AI pathing and whatnot. If a game mode was largely AI dependent like Attrition or Frontier Defense, it may have gotten cut because Respawn doesn't have an equivalent solution for the AI.

That's what I was wondering too and that was what I asked the lead engineer on Twitter, his reply was "simply a design decision" but who knows, there could be some truth to the server thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It doesn't help that for a long while in TF1 that they had paid DLC so if you bought the maps then you would actually be hurting yourself in terms of trying to find a game.

I believe all the DLC for the first one is free now? So that kinda helps out that problem a bit. But still the only game mode you'll find people in is Attrition.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Is there that much work involved with ai pathing? I don't know much about the logistics of it all but the ai grunts never seemed like they were doing anything that complex.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Brutakas posted:

They're using the Microsoft Azure servers again, as well as a few other services which do the same thing as well, so they still have access to the cloud computing that powered the AI in the first game. They could solely be using it for dedicated servers this time round however, rather than dedicated servers & AI like the first game.

There really is a lot of atmosphere missing from the game however that isn't just relegated to the AI grunts & spectres. I also miss the capturable AI turrets (and being able to use the hacking knife on spectres) and the huge battles that occurred in the levels (lots of dogfighting ships in the sky and the giant laser firing up to take out a battleship in Outpost 207) as well as all the alien wildlife such as the flying creatures in Boneyard and the huge dinosaurs on the perimeter of Airbase. That combined with all the radio chatter and constant dropships flying in to spawn more AI grunts and drop pods unleashing spectres was really cool.

I guess at the end of the day though, it's really down to personal preference. I really enjoy chaotic gameplay, but it seems there's a lot of people out there who prefer much slower gameplay where there's less going on. My personal hopes for Titanfall 2 before we found out the details was that they'd actually ramp things up rather than scale them down, like maybe bumping up from 6v6 to 8v8 and adding even more AI into the levels so there's some insane battles going on.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SUNKOS posted:

There really is a lot of atmosphere missing from the game however that isn't just relegated to the AI grunts & spectres. I also miss the capturable AI turrets (and being able to use the hacking knife on spectres) and the huge battles that occurred in the levels (lots of dogfighting ships in the sky and the giant laser firing up to take out a battleship in Outpost 207) as well as all the alien wildlife such as the flying creatures in Boneyard and the huge dinosaurs on the perimeter of Airbase. That combined with all the radio chatter and constant dropships flying in to spawn more AI grunts and drop pods unleashing spectres was really cool.
The best part was when the flying creatures would randomly swoop in to gently caress up a grunt or two before flying off.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It doesn't help that for a long while in TF1 that they had paid DLC so if you bought the maps then you would actually be hurting yourself in terms of trying to find a game.

I believe all the DLC for the first one is free now? So that kinda helps out that problem a bit. But still the only game mode you'll find people in is Attrition.

Yeah all the DLC for the first one is free, and they said all the maps for TF2 would be free.

Ok Fella posted:

Is there that much work involved with ai pathing? I don't know much about the logistics of it all but the ai grunts never seemed like they were doing anything that complex.

Yeah the grunts in the first game were not complex at all lol, it's kinda hard to believe they needed to offload computing for them. The AI in this game seem about the same, plus they added AI Titans which weren't in the first one, so they must not need much computing power now.

But I'm not working on the game so :shrug:

Peach Pusher
Apr 15, 2003

You're Armpit

Insert name here posted:

As someone who mainly played Hardpoint in TF1 I was pretty sad to find out they removed AI from the game mode. I'm hoping they go and add AI to all the modes but somehow I get the feeling they won't. :(

Yeah, I like amped hardpoint but it would be 100% better with AI. Like maybe have AI able to amp the point but at a much slower pace.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got to play this. Was out of country last weekend, never played TF1 (PS4 owner), hated CoD multiplayer since MW1, and I can't say I'm impressed. Was bored by the time the game crashed after 20 minutes or so.

Titans don't seem to have any effect on the boring CoD formula. Just big players.

Graphics looked great though and I liked that it wasn't as frenetic as modern CoD.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Peach Pusher posted:

Yeah, I like amped hardpoint but it would be 100% better with AI. Like maybe have AI able to amp the point but at a much slower pace.

The AI just needs to be window dressing and Titan meter fodder and that would be perfect IMO

I too miss hacking stuff with my knife :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Burn cards were a missed opportunity in my opinion but they had some really fun ones in there such as the card that disguised you as a spectre, or the card that auto-hacked surrounding spectres so you could have a little squad following you around. Shame they didn't go with more weird modifiers like that for the burn cards, rather than mostly handing out amped weapons and unlimited frags/arcs/mines etc.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

Burn cards were a missed opportunity in my opinion but they had some really fun ones in there such as the card that disguised you as a spectre, or the card that auto-hacked surrounding spectres so you could have a little squad following you around. Shame they didn't go with more weird modifiers like that for the burn cards, rather than mostly handing out amped weapons and unlimited frags/arcs/mines etc.

The spectre disguise one was great. It was also fun to use a Titan burn card at the start of a match, kill yourself, then use a map hack burn card. It was extremely effective and made people pretty mad haha

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Being permanently stimmed was really great as well. I did enjoy the unpredictability of people calling down titans at the start of the match if they had a card for one as well, like you said. It wasn't very common but it mixed things up a little when it happened, and things were balanced so well anyways that even if somebody had one at the start of the match it didn't really upset the balance. I'm sure that they could have found a way to make them work in the sequel, rather than just giving everyone amped weapon upgrades by default. Besides, it was satisfying when the player kill sound was accompanied by some text informing you that a rare burn card or whatever it was had been cancelled.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

Being permanently stimmed was really great as well. I did enjoy the unpredictability of people calling down titans at the start of the match if they had a card for one as well, like you said. It wasn't very common but it mixed things up a little when it happened, and things were balanced so well anyways that even if somebody had one at the start of the match it didn't really upset the balance. I'm sure that they could have found a way to make them work in the sequel, rather than just giving everyone amped weapon upgrades by default. Besides, it was satisfying when the player kill sound was accompanied by some text informing you that a rare burn card or whatever it was had been cancelled.

They didn't add that burn card kill info until later but yeah I get what you mean. I still think they could get creative with their boosts and I hope they do, but they probably shouldn't start people off with amped weapons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Burn card ideas:

1. when you get in your Titan, it starts blaring Flight of the Valkyries across the map

2. remove the morale penalty when you kill a spectre as a robot

3. you can attach the grapple hooks to things like in Just Cause

4. when you eject from a Titan, you turn into fireworks. Hooray!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tethering a teammates to ejecting pilots would be great. Tethering them to enemy evac ships would be even better.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
"Try ejecting from your Titan now, punk"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Antoine Silvere posted:

The spectre disguise one was great. It was also fun to use a Titan burn card at the start of a match, kill yourself, then use a map hack burn card. It was extremely effective and made people pretty mad haha

no, no, it makes them "unhappy leave"

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Instead of ejecting 50 feet you eject 300 feet

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really not liking the new map.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Any goons recommend any goon run networks on PSN? Hopefully not flopping out dicks for Harambe. At least two of them gave me flashbacks to the old Halo 2 and 3 days of huge amounts of 12 year olds saying the most racist poo poo.

PSN: Supersonicdaze

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Anyone playing on PS4? Add Suran37 if you want to group up.

Edit: Is there a mumble/vent/etc for people playing this game?

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 27, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Suran37 posted:

It's in the OP but I'm not sure if there are people playing it now. I haven't had a chance to try it out this weekend.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Antoine Silvere posted:

The AI just needs to be window dressing and Titan meter fodder and that would be perfect IMO

I too miss hacking stuff with my knife :(

gently caress I forgot about knife hacking now I'm sad.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Please post the video.

Suran37 posted:

There's a discord in the OP but since there is no PC tech test...

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

NESguerilla posted:

I'm really not liking the new map.

There's a crow's nest overlooking one of the main objective points (I think it's a bank or one of the AI spawns in Bounty Hunt) and you get marked as out of bounds if you position yourself up there when ejecting from your titan :downs:

Big change from the first game where even sitting on the top of the tall tower on Nexus wouldn't get you marked as out of bounds. They really want to cut down the amount of verticality in this game, it's disappointing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say this game has some of the best controls I've experienced in a game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

i agree mostly but i get context-bound to a wall run when i don't want one and the grapple gets stuck a lot instead of mantling a ledge it just kind peters out and leaves you hanging. still very good feel though better than most fps.

i also don't like the new map its too mazelike inside the building and i always get lost and miss the bounty deposit window but i guess its my fault

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

Big change from the first game where even sitting on the top of the tall tower on Nexus wouldn't get you marked as out of bounds. They really want to cut down the amount of verticality in this game, it's disappointing.

On the other hand, you'd get marked out of bounds if you went on the top of the buildings in Rise, which was very easy to do. I think their decisions on where to make out of bounds have always been weird :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

$80 for the Deluxe Edition is pretty steep. Other than the extra themes and skins is it basically like a season pass? What are all the bonuses?

NESguerilla posted:

Agreed. Super smooth.