Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, I think the very first kits from WGF were bad, which is one of the reason they got a bit of a bad rep. That, and apparently the owner was a bit shady. For instance, the samurai box that they released early on is kinda naff, while the ashigaru box that came later is a noticable improvement. The WW2 kits came pretty late iirc, which is a good sign.

I wrote up a blog post on my first impressions with putting together the french line infantry. I was planning to write a painting guide as well, but realized that I didn't take enough pictures as I painted. D'oh! Will take care to take more pictures next time.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The WGF americans look good but keep in mind that you don't get any bazookas or LMGs so you'll need to pick those up later. The box does come with enough BARs to make up your squads, though.

I have 3 boxes of WGF Russian infantry and they're great.

Anecdotally I can confirm that WGF really improved as they went, I have a ton of their Celts and they're not awful, but they're nowhere near as good as the WW2 stuff. YMMV if you're not in the US as I hear their models aren't as ridiculously cheap outside of here.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
After WGF said goodbye to Tony Reidy it massively improved and all the shady poo poo went away.

They now produce excellent stuff, and the giant not knights, Eisenkern, Malifaux plastics etc are all produced by WGF under other companies names.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm definitely going to pick up a box to play with leading up to the release of 2nd edition, LMG or no. Is it feasible to purchase another third-party set of weapons or something to substitute? Make one out of green stuff? Something like that?

moths posted:

I'll try to do a side-by-side photo later today.

This would be pretty amazing. Thanks so much if you can.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ExtraNoise posted:

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm definitely going to pick up a box to play with leading up to the release of 2nd edition, LMG or no. Is it feasible to purchase another third-party set of weapons or something to substitute? Make one out of green stuff? Something like that?

There are about 10 billion different historical minis manufacturers, so you can easily find MG and weapons teams, either from 3rd parties or straight from Warlord. I'm a fan of Black Tree Design and Artizan, personally.

http://eoeorbis.com/products/ww2243-us-infantry-bazooka-team-iii-4?variant=1314904968
http://eoeorbis.com/collections/world-war-2/products/ww2080-u-s-infantry-30-cal-team?variant=1314901852

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 27, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WGF are now sold under Dreamforge? i'll be trawling obscure european sites for them cheap sovs. What period of war are they good for?

Also, I am cheap, and I haven't read SAGA rules in quite some time. Which 4 point starter foot band is easiest (least subtle) to run without going joms?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My Americans are Black Tree and I love them. They're a little bit chunky/heroic scale, but the poses are really nice and they have great detail.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

WGF are now sold under Dreamforge? i'll be trawling obscure european sites for them cheap sovs. What period of war are they good for?

Also, I am cheap, and I haven't read SAGA rules in quite some time. Which 4 point starter foot band is easiest (least subtle) to run without going joms?

Our soviet players use "frankenstein" miniatures for 41 soviets, since they say every plastic kit out there has something badly flawed, but you can get nice ones if you combine them. I can ask what parts they use, but I think they use the wgf kits as one of the ingredients.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Naw, don't bother, I am neither that spergy, nor wealthy.

Also, fiding a box in europe is an adventure, because paying for shipping is a 1-for-2 deal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's that WGF / Warlord comparison photo I promised earlier!

These are quick builds, both kits include extra pouches and kit that I didn't attach. The WGF soldier is on the left, and the Warlord one is on the right. Both kits are passable, but I prefer the WGF proportions. Both are standing on provided bases.

However, both kits do stupid things. But different stupid things.

Warlord made every weapon separate from the hands. This can lead to some awkward posing.

WGF weapons are molded to the arms - but they provide no guidance as to which arms are pairs. This... also sucks.

lilljonas posted:

Our soviet players use "frankenstein" miniatures for 41 soviets, since they say every plastic kit out there has something badly flawed, but you can get nice ones if you combine them. I can ask what parts they use, but I think they use the wgf kits as one of the ingredients.

This is my mix, the guy on the left is an unmodified PSC 28mm soldier with "heroic" gun and helmet, the (WIP) one on the right is using a WGF head and weapon.

Here are some more, the dark grey is WGF plastic, the light grey is PSC.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

WGF weapons are molded to the arms - but they provide no guidance as to which arms are pairs. This... also sucks.

The Red Army sprues I have labelled the bodies and arm pairs, but I feel like some of them look better mixed up anyway.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Yeah the Warlord US Infantry is very... Hollywood WW2. Lots of square jawed scowling movie stars and grizzled sergeants chomping on cigars. Only one head on the sprue looks like a scared teenager.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I vaguely remember the Warlord box coming with metal heads that deliberately resembled famous Hollywood war movie actors. Maybe that was the Rangers box.

It's interesting that some of the K47 metals are drifting back towards a more realistic look. I got the Paragon Trooper promo figure when I bought the book, and its proportions look more like the WGF figure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

I vaguely remember the Warlord box coming with metal heads that deliberately resembled famous Hollywood war movie actors. Maybe that was the Rangers box.

It's interesting that some of the K47 metals are drifting back towards a more realistic look. I got the Paragon Trooper promo figure when I bought the book, and its proportions look more like the WGF figure.

Yeah, I believe its the Rangers box (I was looking at one in my LGS), I know there was a Tom Hanks one on the back of the box. I wonder if the shift in proportions is because WGF now works for/with Warlord, so perhaps they're actually the one making those minis.

My FOW 11th armoured Company is actually rolling along quite nicely (managed to assemble more-or-less all of the tanks - which is no mean feat with the 2012-era plastics - and I'm in the stage of adding stowage), and I have a question. Does anyone have records of tankers using salvaged enemy track links to supplement their own armour? I've seen photographs of tanks with spare tracks as armour, but did anyone ever take some off enemy tanks to supplement their armour? I have accidentally stuck some StuG track links to the front of a Firefly. I figure maybe I could also use up some spare Panther track links I have lying around if there's actually historical precedent for that sort of thing. Or should I repeat to myself it's just a game and I should really just relax?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 28, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I believe its the Rangers box (I was looking at one in my LGS), I know there was a Tom Hanks one on the back of the box. I wonder if the shift in proportions is because WGF now works for/with Warlord, so perhaps they're actually the one making those minis.

My FOW 11th armoured Company is actually rolling along quite nicely (managed to assemble more-or-less all of the tanks - which is no mean feat with the 2012-era plastics - and I'm in the stage of adding stowage), and I have a question. Does anyone have records of tankers using salvaged enemy track links to supplement their own armour? I've seen photographs of tanks with spare tracks as armour, but did anyone ever take some off enemy tanks to supplement their armour? I have accidentally stuck some StuG track links to the front of a Firefly. I figure maybe I could also use up some spare Panther track links I have lying around if there's actually historical precedent for that sort of thing. Or should I repeat to myself it's just a game and I should really just relax?

Totally happened!

Those are T-34 tracks on the Pz IV.

It probably didn't happen often, because it's more of a pain to get the other guy's tracks than your own (the western allies didn't really use captured vehicles that much, either, whereas Germany was lousy with them and so probably had a depot of salvaged T-34 track for replacements), but I can buy your Firefly's stealing the tracks of the tanks it's killed like a hunter draped in the skins of it's prey.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Totally happened!

Those are T-34 tracks on the Pz IV.

It probably didn't happen often, because it's more of a pain to get the other guy's tracks than your own (the western allies didn't really use captured vehicles that much, either, whereas Germany was lousy with them and so probably had a depot of salvaged T-34 track for replacements), but I can buy your Firefly's stealing the tracks of the tanks it's killed like a hunter draped in the skins of it's prey.

:getin:

I kind of wish I'd thought about it a little more, because I stuck on some applique armour from a US Sherman sprue, and I have a set of Panther side skirts I could have cut up instead. I've been able to use it as extra armour on the front of one or two of my other Shermans, though. And it turns out the front of a Panther track guard fits almost perfectly onto the side of a Firefly turret as applique armour.

I've also used a Cromwell exhaust scoop and stowage bin that my tankies stole procured from their colleagues in the divisional Armoured Recce regiment. The scoop is actually quite handy for storing stuff as it turns out, if you mount it upside-down on the back of a Sherman.

Feels good to actually be finally getting this thing in motion, I've kind of been procrastinating in it for ages. I'll probably wind up oathing the finished stuff just to get them all painted.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Mad Max Armored Division

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

There's probably going to be terrible grogs who require documentary evidence from the original source that scavenged parts were used but it sounds like a cool gimmick tbh. I'd be more worried about pulling it off than finding a source.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Mad Max Armored Division

spectralent posted:

There's probably going to be terrible grogs who require documentary evidence from the original source that scavenged parts were used but it sounds like a cool gimmick tbh. I'd be more worried about pulling it off than finding a source.
I'll post pics when they're done. Unfortunately I do have both the fact the Battlefront Shermans were the old 2012 'we're still figuring out plastics' model and I kind of had some difficulties with the tracks on the PSC Shermans, but I think overall they've come together pretty well.

I'm kind of tickled by the mental image of my dudes after a fight looking over an abandoned but otherwise perfectly functional Panther, nodding slightly, and then stripping it of stuff to put on their Shermans instead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Considering that Rocket Cromwells came from a guy getting drunk with an RAF officer and attaching surplus Typhoon rockets to tanks, I don't tgink that Mad Max is unlikely.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Considering that Rocket Cromwells came from a guy getting drunk with an RAF officer and attaching surplus Typhoon rockets to tanks, I don't tgink that Mad Max is unlikely.

Everything can be improved by attaching rockets to it. Case in point: Canadian (?) Staghound.... with rockets!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Universal Carrier... With rockets

Kettenkrad... With rockets

Shvimwagen... With rockets

I am sad that rocket StuGs only exist as the creation of one wargamer who was more interested in glueing stuff to model than any sort of research

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

I am sad that rocket StuGs only exist as the creation of one wargamer who was more interested in glueing stuff to model than any sort of research

Correction. Universal Carrier... With a box of PIATs strapped to the back.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

spectralent posted:

Correction. Universal Carrier... With a box of PIATs strapped to the back.

PIATs aren't rockets, which was too bad for the Brits who tried to use them on German tanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

PIATs aren't rockets, which was too bad for the Brits who tried to use them on German tanks.

Sure, I'm talking about the UC-mounted PIAT battery the canadians improvised in 44 during market garden.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about "too bad for the Brits"... Unless you mean the recoil, in which case I think we can take a collective moment of silence for everyone's poor dislocated shoulders.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

More that you had to get really close for them to be effective.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Infantry with rockets!

The Soviets actually tried 82 mm rocket launchers for infantry, but they had crazy requirements like being able to hit a target 1000 m away, so none of the designs went anywhere.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ISU-152s with Katyushas on the sides.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm a fan of the Panzerjager Wanze, a remote-controlled demolitions vehicle that in the late war saw 6 panzerschrecks basically taped to the roof. They're also really fun to use in Flames of War - dirt cheap, good mobility, and just enough AT to threaten just about anything.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I have a quick question for anyone familiar with PSC kits. Certain late-war lists use a mix of Shermans - I'm thinking specifically of the 2nd Division Blindeé and most likely the Black Panthers, with a mix of M4A2s, M4A3s and M4A4s in the same platoon. I have a pair of M4A4/Sherman V hull tops from a PSC box I've been using for my 11th armoured - would I be able to stick them on PSC M4A2 or M4A3 hull bottoms without issue?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have a quick question for anyone familiar with PSC kits. Certain late-war lists use a mix of Shermans - I'm thinking specifically of the 2nd Division Blindeé and most likely the Black Panthers, with a mix of M4A2s, M4A3s and M4A4s in the same platoon. I have a pair of M4A4/Sherman V hull tops from a PSC box I've been using for my 11th armoured - would I be able to stick them on PSC M4A2 or M4A3 hull bottoms without issue?

The M4A4's longer than the other shermans to fit the unholy abomination that is the Chrysler multibank engine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

The M4A4's longer than the other shermans to fit the unholy abomination that is the Chrysler multibank engine.

drat YOU CHRYSLER!!!! :argh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You know what this thread is missing? a 6mm Battle report!

And for a first! its a great war battle

This is my first use of the Great war Spearhead rules!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
New preview is up on WWPD for Iron Maiden, the British expansion for Team Yankee.

Some highlights:

-Morale/skill ratings are roughly in-between Americans and Germans. Still getting hit on 4+
-Primary tanks are Chieftains, which have slightly worse armor than Abrams/Leopard 2s (Though it can be upgraded to match) and suffer a RoF penalty for moving and shooting
-Infantry is allegedly really good, with fairly wide access to Milan ATGMs.

Edit: No word yet on whether Eddie the Head is going to appear as a special character.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's crazy to me the chieftain's getting abrams-tier armour. Brutal was pretty much expected given the british love of HESH.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Anyone tried Alter of Freedom? http://www.6mmacw.com/
It has piqued my interest as a fastplay acw ruleset, and the little free campaign pack looks decent. Wondering what people who have actually played it think, challenges that arose.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mr.Booger posted:

Anyone tried Alter of Freedom? http://www.6mmacw.com/
It has piqued my interest as a fastplay acw ruleset, and the little free campaign pack looks decent. Wondering what people who have actually played it think, challenges that arose.

I took about as much a look as you did and ended up going with Black Powder for my "baseline" 6mm rules because I felt it scaled up better. I'd be curious to hear a more nuanced review though. I love that websites terrain guides, I shamelessly stole their technique for making forests for my table a while back and I still periodically browse over to drool at their perfect little 3D maps.

Grey Hunter posted:

:neckbeard: every page of this thread needs a 6mm AAR. This one looks a lot of fun, and WWI is definitely an underrepresented niche.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Grey Hunter posted:

Awesome. I love the idea of preplanned operations for basically every period pre-WWII, but it doesn't seem like it's used nearly as often as it should be. This is a cool example of how WWI battles actually developed.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Thanks for the report, nice one!

Has anyone tried chain of command out? I'm gonna grab the new bolt action starter for my brother and I, but I'd like to move onto something a bit less gamey once we're up with that. Chain of command looks like a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sanguine posted:

Thanks for the report, nice one!

Has anyone tried chain of command out? I'm gonna grab the new bolt action starter for my brother and I, but I'd like to move onto something a bit less gamey once we're up with that. Chain of command looks like a good option.

Chain of Command is loving amazing everyone should play it.

Where is my R20 game goddamnit.