Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
"A bacon rose with jerky stem"

"We found a tub of bacon and sausage on the side of the road"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Chicken Harmesan.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid we had mice in our trailer, and my mom burned one to death in our toaster. We couldn't afford a new one for a couple of paycheques. I used to take frozen waffles, put my lips around them, and breathe into them to thaw them and eat them like that. It was okay because they were the fancy cinnamon ones and they tasted fairly okay.

Similar story. My wife and I had a deep fryer that we stored in the kitchen beneath the sink (fatal error #1), that we rarely used. There were a string of dinners that we did in fact use it (fish & chips, and a couple of others) so she decided just to keep the oil in the fryer after it had cooled down, and then covered it with it's barely functional storage "lid" (fatal error #2). We live in a 116yo house that has more entrances for mice than probably could ever be quantified. Anyway, on the evening of the next meal that required some deep frying, she took the thing out, placed it on the counter, and plugged it in to warm up. Some 15 minutes or so later, I walk by and notice that it was not only preheated, but happily frying away. Lifted the top, and... yep. Jerry mouse was somehow so turned on by the smell that he decided to take a dip, and consequently drowned, prior to being fried.

My wife freaked out so bad she made me take the whole thing outside to the back vegetable garden, and bury it (while she watched).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

That's exactly it. I have so many horrible stories but looking back on them, they're so utterly ridiculous that it's okay to laugh at it now.

I know, right? It's hard to pick a favorite.

When we were kids, my little sister and I used to "borrow" dent corn from the farmer's field next door and feed squirrels with it, so we could watch them out our living room window (because what the gently caress else is there to do in a trailer in the middle of nowhere).

One day, grandpa went out hunting. When he got back, he told the two of us youngins that he didn't kill anything, but we all sat down to dinner that evening to delicious plates of "fried chicken."

Seriously, how hilarious is a phone call almost two decades later from a frazzled sibling who had just then put two and two together yelling "OH MY GOD FAI WE WERE EATING SQUIRRELS"

I was curious, so I looked up the nutrition facts. That meal contains approximately 76,000 grams of sodium.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Processed food: literally made out of Lot's obese wife.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's not even poverty, living in the country can just do weird poo poo to people. My dad worked data security for one of the world's largest banks and I still remember the time him, the neighbor and one of the local cops decided that the way to deal with a rat den on the abandoned lot at the end of the alley was "explosives and beer".

Would every drat day of my life. Micheladas are the best.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Similar story. My wife and I had a deep fryer that we stored in the kitchen beneath the sink (fatal error #1), that we rarely used. There were a string of dinners that we did in fact use it (fish & chips, and a couple of others) so she decided just to keep the oil in the fryer after it had cooled down, and then covered it with it's barely functional storage "lid" (fatal error #2). We live in a 116yo house that has more entrances for mice than probably could ever be quantified. Anyway, on the evening of the next meal that required some deep frying, she took the thing out, placed it on the counter, and plugged it in to warm up. Some 15 minutes or so later, I walk by and notice that it was not only preheated, but happily frying away. Lifted the top, and... yep. Jerry mouse was somehow so turned on by the smell that he decided to take a dip, and consequently drowned, prior to being fried.

My wife freaked out so bad she made me take the whole thing outside to the back vegetable garden, and bury it (while she watched).

Wait, when you say "whole thing" do you mean you buried the deep fryer?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sometimes things are just beyond saving, and plus, future generations of archaeologists should work for their money as much as anyone else.

Reminds me of this:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cue the story (from an earlier iteration of this thread) of the guy digging into a coconut-covered snack cake when he realized some of the coconut was moving...and finishing it anyway.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Not sure what's going on, there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

pooed in the hole

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

French toast a la poo poo

Or eggy bread as we call it round our way.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

It bums me out that however well I rinse them any dish cooked with black beans comes out looking like purple diarrhea.

quote:

What is this? Prison nutraloaf?

e: wait, based on the weird squeezed-out-of-a-tube texture, that must be an MRE.

RNG has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Aug 26, 2016

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It looks like some supremely hosed up tamales to me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Polyseme posted:

Not sure what's going on, there.

French toast and chocolate whipped cream or something. And the heat of the toast is causing the chocolate stuff to liquify.

Horrifying to look at, but I probably would.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's not even poverty, living in the country can just do weird poo poo to people. My dad worked data security for one of the world's largest banks and I still remember the time him, the neighbor and one of the local cops decided that the way to deal with a rat den on the abandoned lot at the end of the alley was "explosives and beer".

I live in a city and that sounds like a great afternoon.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Chantilly Say posted:

Wait, when you say "whole thing" do you mean you buried the deep fryer?

Yep. Mouse hors d'oeuvre, molten oil, and the entire fryer. It was a Fry Baby:

so it wasn't too big. To say she was slightly traumatized by the event is probably an understatement.

Anyway, I dug it up and "disposed of it properly" in the Spring. She does not know this.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

.Z. posted:

French toast and chocolate whipped cream or something. And the heat of the toast is causing the chocolate stuff to liquify.

Horrifying to look at, but I probably would.

French Toast, Nutella and soft serve chocolate yocream. I guarantee this is the result of a freshman set loose on a college dining hall.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

so it wasn't too big. To say she was slightly traumatized by the event is probably an understatement.

Anyway, I dug it up and "disposed of it properly" in the Spring. She does not know this.

True story: I knew a girl who's brother used to be very fat and slovenly. He would sit around the house and play WoW for hours in his underwear while eating pizza rolls and mountain dew, complete and total stereotype. Now he's in a much better place and in extremely good shape and the thing that caused his life turn around was one Christmas he received (from three totally different people) three different deep fryers. Two fry baby and one fry daddy. Apparently the tipping point towards fitness was when three different relatives think of you and what immediately comes to mind is "deep fried stuff".

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Aug 27, 2016

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Mmmm, nothing like loose corn in the park on hot late August afternoon!

(This is in the Netherlands. My Swedish friend saw it and instead of going "what the poo poo" she exclaimed "I love corn!" Europeans man, I tells ya.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If those have been heated up I would, easily. I've never had room temperature corn so that might even be fine too. There's nothing wrong with "loose" corn inherently, it just looks sloppy on other dishes.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
In high school there was a girl who would bring a can of whatever kind of vegetable to sports practices or rehearsals or whatever have you, instead of bringing like a thermos of something warmed up or something that is "normal" to eat cold/unheated. She wasn't poor, just "wacky." Just would sit there with a spoon, scooping it straight out of the can, reassured that her life had meaning when people invariably asked/commented about the fact that she was happily sitting there eating artichokes out of a can.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Ick, just soggy corn straight from a can when it's about 90 degrees out in the hot sun? Heated up, with some butter and pepper on a plate, yes, but not in a can on park bench on the hottest day of the year. It's just bizarre.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
General canned vegetables, and especially corn specifically, have a signature canned vegetable smell due to cooking in an enclosed space during retort generating smelly rear end DMS that has nowhere else to go. This can be fine if after opening you cook it in a way that lets the DMS cook off but cooked or not I don't think there's any way to eat canned corn directly out of the can without getting a huge whiff of DMS.

But then I think some people tend to like a strong DMS character. Like I think the greatest generation's obsession with canned vegetables broke some of their brains and they won't eat vegetables that don't smell like a cabbage farm.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
90 degrees isn't even that hot...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thank god for the internet, you can find a video of anyone drinking anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkidA93NN3U

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Pomp posted:

Celsius.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Pomp posted:

Too hot to be eating uncooked canned corn. 90 degrees is cob weather and i pity if you disagree

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If this were the pet peeve thread I'd post "people who post a bunch of acronyms/jargon without saying what they mean". I'm not a canned food expert I have no idea what DMS is. Canned vegetables in general suck but at least in my experience corn is one of the more tolerable varieties of canned vegetables. Canned green beans though, those are an abomination.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Damned Metal Smell?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

If this were the pet peeve thread I'd post "people who post a bunch of acronyms/jargon without saying what they mean". I'm not a canned food expert I have no idea what DMS is. Canned vegetables in general suck but at least in my experience corn is one of the more tolerable varieties of canned vegetables. Canned green beans though, those are an abomination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfide

My Google worked so you're welcome

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sweeperbravo posted:

Too hot to be eating uncooked canned corn. 90 degrees is cob weather and i pity if you disagree

Roasted cobs with butter and seasoning of your choice. It's the one time of the year you can walk around outside gnawing on something delicious like a wild animal and not look goofy doing it, like the giant turkey legs at the county fair.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Canned green beans have one good use - mixing in with dry dog food when your dog gets too fat. Ours gobbles it right up without complaint. Before we just feed her less than she had but she whined and whined about getting less.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Eh, I'd better not risk it. Though I had a GBS thread open when I ran the numbers, so don't think it's all your fault.

I did pick up some of the new Kettle pepperoncini chips today, and here's my chip report:

buy those drat things now

I would throw those chips into an empty bag of papa john's pizza box flavored kettle chips and smash it into the trash so it didn't take up too much room.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

You had a perfectly good chance to say mouse d'oeuvre and you didn't. Ten points from Gryffindor.

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Vegan "Hawaiian" pizza. It looks like slices of bologna. :barf:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lackey posted:

Vegan "Hawaiian" pizza. It looks like slices of bologna. :barf:

I'd happily eat a Bologna pizza. But what kind of monster sprinkles fresh crap over a cooked pizza pie? That's just not right, man, not right at all.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
You're wrong! Fresh rucola atop a pizza is a wonderful thing!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And tomato and cucumber slices!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

angerbeet posted:

You had a perfectly good chance to say mouse d'oeuvre and you didn't. Ten points from Gryffindor.
Amouse bouche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I'd happily eat a Bologna pizza. But what kind of monster sprinkles fresh crap over a cooked pizza pie? That's just not right, man, not right at all.

Pizza Hut's terrible attempt to capture the millennial market has been mentioned in this thread before, but one of the toppings they added to their menu was spinach (so exotic!). I decided to try it out one night and ordered some spinach alfredo thing. The spinach was just baby spinach straight out of the fridge, laid end to end of top of the pizza. Like it wasn't even warm after sitting on the pizza for 10 minutes, just some room-temperature little spinach leaves floating on pizza grease. The honey-sriracha sauce pizza with chicken, pineapples, and "peruvian cherry peppers" (pimientos) my roommate ordered was alright, but it just inspired us to make a similar pizza with real peppers and a sauce that didn't taste like flavored corn syrup.

I can't wait to live in a town with actual restaurants again.