Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Just finished case 2 and I love Taka's eyes go wide when Blackquill bangs the stand.

All the animations are great really though.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I get this part, I just had no idea where the concept came from, because I'd never gotten that impression from any of the games but it's everywhere on the internet. I felt like I missed something.

There are a lot more references to not getting much money. Things like saying prosecutors get the big bucks, or joking about getting a paying client for a change.

Obviously it's an exaggeration to say he never gets paid but it's a genuine running joke in the series that somehow in this world being a defense attorney is a poorly paid job.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Regy Rusty posted:

There are a lot more references to not getting much money. Things like saying prosecutors get the big bucks, or joking about getting a paying client for a change.

Obviously it's an exaggeration to say he never gets paid but it's a genuine running joke in the series that somehow in this world being a defense attorney is a poorly paid job.

This article from a couple years ago sheds some light on that:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_253/7530-Phoenix-Wright-s-Objection

quote:

While the widespread underhanded behavior among prosecutors is a little exaggerated, the idea of the prosecutor as a very powerful individual with a high social status has roots in the history of the Japanese legal system. Traditionally, prosecutors were considered part of the judiciary and regarded themselves on the same level, or higher, than judges. Conversely, attorneys were considered far lower on the totem pole due their inferior level of legal education and their lack of influence in the bureaucracy. While post-war reforms have evened this out a bit, prosecutors retain a great deal of status and clout. The games reflect this, not just in the broad depiction of prosecutors as arrogant and powerful, but in how other characters perceive them. Edgeworth travels first class and drives expensive cars, while Nick rarely has two cents to rub together. Prosecutors are treated with awe and admiration, while Nick doesn't get much respect from anyone, including his own assistants.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really don't like the implication that Nick doesn't get paid. I feel like it, along with more small little subtleties about him give the games their charm. For instance, while his personal relationships do come up in court, we've never actually been to his house, because his home life isn't relevant his job. It's part of why I really liked AA3 making him an art major with a minor in law. Sure, he wants to see Edgey, but it's not a life-consuming goal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that only serves to drive the point home that, as an ex-art major, he knows all about how to eat and live on a shoestring budget

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the soj demo felt way shorter than the dd one

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

voltcatfish posted:

the soj demo felt way shorter than the dd one

Definitely. DD's demo got to actually confronting the killer; here, he doesn't appear at all aside from the intro scene.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I was happy to see it in full now and thus be able to skip it every single time it'll show up in the main game, boy was that an ugly dance.
I haven't played the demo, but are we talking a full video, or just like a weird character thing? Because I don't want to get constant flashbacks to some key evidence

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jsor posted:

I haven't played the demo, but are we talking a full video, or just like a weird character thing? Because I don't want to get constant flashbacks to some key evidence

It's a full-on one and a half minute dance number. You don't have to watch it more than once during the demo, though.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, Phoenix does seem like the type of guy that would be easily bullied into pro-bono work...

Also Ace Attorney is hella anime, so people just make their own assumptions based on popular anime tropes.

It makes plenty of sense if you think about just how much of the series is spent defending Phoenix's (penniless) friends, which he obviously does pro-bono. And that time he defended himself.

On the other hand, he has gotten high-profile clients. Edgeworth and Max Galactica could afford some hefty legal fees.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Every time Gumshoe got his pay docked the funds were redirected to Nick's rent.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PassingPie posted:

It makes plenty of sense if you think about just how much of the series is spent defending Phoenix's (penniless) friends, which he obviously does pro-bono. And that time he defended himself.

Is it that much? There's Larry, once. There's Maya, three times. One of those times was also himself, and another was also Iris (although that one's really complicated since Edgeworth also did half of the work but then the client changed midway through anyway and uhh. I think this is why the series never really pays much attention to the money part; it would just get weird and it's easier to ignore since it doesn't really matter in the context of the story at all). I guess you could count Maggey's retrial as it's kinda Nick's fault in a roundabout way so he might not take pay. Then there's Athena in 5-5 who obviously won't be paying her own company.

Okay I guess that's like almost a third of his cases. Fine.

You know who really doesn't get money for his cases though? Edgey, in all of AAI. He's just amateur sleuthing it up in those, who's paying him for that? Of course he's already filthy rich anyway, but it's kinda funny how that works out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
truth fuels Edgey's body.

Isn't Phoenix a decent gambler?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's pretty good since he's good at bluffing but many of his wins come from Trucy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait what the gently caress AA6 is almost out? :psyboom: I completely lost track of it.

What happened to the Meiji-era game? Did it get cancelled?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's been out in Japan for quite a while and is never ever releasing in the west.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The AA6 art book came out this week (here in Japan), and I grabbed a copy today. Lots of really neat early design sketches for the new characters, but man, this book has some extreme spoilers for the endgame almost from the very first page.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Don't worry, a possibly bad fantranslation is being made.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Terper posted:

It's been out in Japan for quite a while and is never ever releasing in the west.

I guess I can see why, the West wouldn't be as excited for 1800s Japan lawyering for some incomprehensible reason. Sucks.

But: AA6 :dance:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Don't worry, a possibly bad fantranslation is being made.
It'd be nice if the people who translated AAI2 just became the unofficial localisers of Ace Attorney games that Capcom passes on.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just a guess, but is it because Sherlock is under copyright in some part of the world? The quote I saw somewhere (possibly this thread) made it sound like they wanted to but couldn't for reasons beyond their control.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The AAI2 localization was a huge clusterfuck that it was a miracle it pulled together and released something so high quality. It's no surprise that they didn't reorganize for DGS as the community they spawned from is considerably less active than it was when AAI2 first released.

In general I feel like it's only a more established and organized team that can handle projects like this, and unfortunately the one willing to take up DGS is one whose philosophy on translation is one I fundamentally disagree with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Amppelix posted:

You know who really doesn't get money for his cases though? Edgey, in all of AAI. He's just amateur sleuthing it up in those, who's paying him for that? Of course he's already filthy rich anyway, but it's kinda funny how that works out.

I think supervising initial investigations is part of his job description anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also each AAI game takes place over like 3 days because they didn't want to progress time past Phoenix losing his badge :v:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Regy Rusty posted:

The AAI2 localization was a huge clusterfuck that it was a miracle it pulled together and released something so high quality. It's no surprise that they didn't reorganize for DGS as the community they spawned from is considerably less active than it was when AAI2 first released.

In general I feel like it's only a more established and organized team that can handle projects like this, and unfortunately the one willing to take up DGS is one whose philosophy on translation is one I fundamentally disagree with.

Could you go into a little more detail on both these points for the curious, ie me? AAI2 really was so good, so I'm a little surprised to hear that it was such a clusterfuck, particularly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regalingualius posted:

Definitely. DD's demo got to actually confronting the killer; here, he doesn't appear at all aside from the intro scene.

I can't believe Phoenix is going to take on Hippie Jesus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

C7ty1 posted:

Could you go into a little more detail on both these points for the curious, ie me? AAI2 really was so good, so I'm a little surprised to hear that it was such a clusterfuck, particularly.

I didn't follow all of the development so I don't actually know how they ended up pulling it together. But in the earliest stages it was started by a group of people on the Court Records forum. And back then it had all the hallmarks of a doomed to fail fan project - made up mostly of enthusiastic but inexperienced fans, too many cooks, little to nonexistent leadership and organization, etc. At some point after I stopped paying much attention they moved offsite and I assume somehow got a bunch more organized because once they started actually releasing stuff they clearly had their poo poo a lot more together. And the end product speaks for itself in terms of writing quality and presentation.

I don't know if that same group even attempted to get back together for DGS. I know there was a very half hearted attempt last year to start a similar project on the CR forum, but since that place is basically dead now it was met with a tepid response and didn't go anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised that if anyone did want to get the team back together they might be discouraged by the GBAtemp people announcing that they were doing a translation. Not to mention the fact that DGS is on the 3DS and there may not even have been anyone on the AAI2 team with any experience making a patch for that.

At any rate, whatever the reasons may be, currently the GBAtemp group is the only one who's announced they're working on DGS. Unfortunately they were very clear that they're not going to localize it like Capcom have always done and the AAI2 team did, instead doing a direct translation. This is the same group that earlier this year did the Fire Emblem Fates fan translation, which is one of the dumbest waste of time fan projects to ever have existed. Because of this I don't have much hope what they're going to put out is going to be very good, since Ace Attorney lives and dies on the quality of its writing.

I don't really run in these circles so all this is stuff I've picked up second hand from reading about it and observation and it's possible I'm wrong about some details.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was involved in the localization, but I couldn't really tell you a whole lot about the project in general, since I came in pretty late and didn't do a whole lot before I had to go back to school. My mark on the game was taking the translation for a couple scenes and editing them for flow, localization consistency, and to fit in the text boxes. My scenes were one of Kate's testimonies and an investigation stage in the fourth case.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

orenronen posted:

The AA6 art book came out this week (here in Japan), and I grabbed a copy today. Lots of really neat early design sketches for the new characters, but man, this book has some extreme spoilers for the endgame almost from the very first page.

I am morbidly curious about that red text.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Argue posted:

Just a guess, but is it because Sherlock is under copyright in some part of the world? The quote I saw somewhere (possibly this thread) made it sound like they wanted to but couldn't for reasons beyond their control.

I've been watching a subbed playthrough here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSZwQu41cKBhot7R5MzPYg

And if the subs are accurate it looks like there more to not bringing it over than copyright. Despite the setting for a majority of the game there's still the first case that takes place in Japan and some interactions and motivations are based on Naruhodo being Japanese. This isn't a game they can give the Ace Attorney treatment to. I hope they do find a way to bring over though because the mysteries are excellent and the animation is superb.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've been watching a subbed playthrough here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSZwQu41cKBhot7R5MzPYg

And if the subs are accurate it looks like there more to not bringing it over than copyright. Despite the setting for a majority of the game there's still the first case that takes place in Japan and some interactions and motivations are based on Naruhodo being Japanese. This isn't a game they can give the Ace Attorney treatment to. I hope they do find a way to bring over though because the mysteries are excellent and the animation is superb.

Phoenix having a Japanese ancestor hardly makes for a localization impossibility. The "Ace Attorney treatment" can be flexible if it wants to be.

Also the game is underwhelming and bad. Pretty and nice to listen to though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the sequel hook is apparently so bad that the game is pretty much only half of a story.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to see Falcon Wright, up and coming lawyer of the Wild West, solve mysteries in his authentic Wild West Meiji student uniform.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the sequel hook is apparently so bad that the game is pretty much only half of a story.

Just saying it's about the ending gives too much ammo to people who want to defend it. There's tons of poo poo throughout the game that is just dropped, inexplicably.

For example, two fully modeled and animated characters are introduced in case 4 having an argument about something unknown, Naruhodo stops to talk to one of them because he's the defendant's neighbour more or less, the guy has no idea or anything to say about the case, and after this very short sequence that is the one and only time you ever see him or the character he was arguing with. Like just loving excise that whole little scene what was the point of any of it??? It just pisses people off when there's zero relevance or payoff in the core game. If these characters appear in a hypothetical sequel I'm not going to be all "oh wow this totally redeems that pointless stupid event from the first game that didn't go anywhere" I'm probably going to be even more loving annoyed than I already am

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I just played the demo for the new game and I would really like to be playing the full thing right now. Why is it still a week and a half until release?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Alternatively, get pumped that it's only a week and a half away. Feels like it came out of nowhere, jeez.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
The game was stuck so long in "It's coming out in September" that the fact that it was coming out in early September was a good surprise.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Just finished case 2 and I love Taka's eyes go wide when Blackquill bangs the stand.

All the animations are great really though.

i just realized simon named his pet hawk the word for "hawk" in japanese. that's like naming a cat "Gato"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

i just realized simon named his pet hawk the word for "hawk" in japanese. that's like naming a cat "Gato"

Blackquill is incredibly cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Blackquill's competent and likes his job like Edgeworth, likes to crack jokes and have a good time like Godot, didn't need to have an entire arc about "muh win record" like Klavier, and has an insane prison/super weeb dual gimmick and a pet hawk to round it all out. It feels like it should be too much but it all somehow comes together perfectly

• Locked thread