Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ihmemies posted:

So today I got to uninstall whatsapp because I couldn't accept the new user agreement. They want to sell my number and send me ads? No thx, it's just a messaging app.

Welp back to SMS with most of my friends since I don't use facebook either. Why all good things must come to an end? I'd have gladly paid even 10€/year from whatsapp for it to stay aids-free.

FYI you can sign up for Facebook Messenger with only your phone number. No Facebook account required. It's a pretty good IM client in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Like chance would have it, Google's about to introduce Allo. And with Google, you can be fairly certain that the app won't get riddled with apps (any time soon, anyway), since their MO seems to be gathering data to show you apps on third party websites instead.

Of course there's this speculation that it'll be tied to a very recent Android version due to certain features and will not even gain any attention.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

lol Samsung giving you some great iris scanner options, almost as good as the font choices.

Clearly they're targeting the Snapchat demographic of grown-rear end adults who turn themselves into bees.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nimper posted:

Clearly they're targeting the Snapchat demographic of grown-rear end adults who turn themselves into bees.

Despite having it explained to me nearly a dozen times, I still don't understand the appeal of snapchat to adults. That said, I just left my Note 7's iris scanner image thing as to the two opaque circles at the top of that list, I don't even know where to go to change it after initial set up of the device.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chippy posted:

My battery life seems worse on N than it was on M. I'm not seeing the crazy battery drain that people are complaining about on reddit (from Android services or something?) but it';s definitely worse. Last couple of evenings the phone needed putting on charge about 10pm, 11p, whereas normally it makes it through the day without one. Any suggestions?

The battery issues I've had with N (including one or two instances of crazy runaway drain) have generally gone away with a reboot.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one of these USB-C Qi charge labels (or something similar) with a Nexus? I'm sure I'll be getting one regardless but I would like to hear some firsthand experiences, particularly with a Tylt Vu.

Did you end up getting this? Curious to hear some feedback on it. The Amazon reviews seem to range from "works great" to "might burn my house down".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luchadork posted:

Did you end up getting this? Curious to hear some feedback on it. The Amazon reviews seem to range from "works great" to "might burn my house down".

I don't have a USB-C device. I'm waiting for the next Nexuses. Why don't you be the guinea pig? (I'll be buying one anyway.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
One of the guys I used to work with used the micro USB version on his 2012 Nexus 7 as well as on a Kindle. Worked fine but the charging rate is slower than something with Qi built in.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

butt dickus posted:

One of the guys I used to work with used the micro USB version on his 2012 Nexus 7 as well as on a Kindle. Worked fine but the charging rate is slower than something with Qi built in.

I had one as well and can confirm, 500mah was what I had and it was extremely slow but it worked well

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So does Android N finally fix the Bluetooth wakelock issues on the 5x? Or am I going to have to continue manually turning it on and off like a pleb?

Also can't sell this thing because Diztronic stained my white phone blue.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

So today I got to uninstall whatsapp because I couldn't accept the new user agreement. They want to sell my number and send me ads? No thx, it's just a messaging app.

They already have your number. And they're going to link it to Facebook to better recommend friends and show you ads ON FACEBOOK. There are no current plans to add advertising to WhatsApp. Nor can they read your messages to target ads at you. They're also going to start using FB's app infrastructure for usage reporting and whatnot.

The plan is to monetize by building a platforms for businesses to interact with people via WhatsApp and charge them for the privilege.

The nerdery is going crazy over something that isn't really a change at all. I loathe Facebook as much as the next guy, but this isn't worth going back to SMS over.

Allo also won't have banner ads. They're going to monetize by selling you poo poo via the Google Assistant/Search integration.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got Nougat on my 5X; didn't fix the bug where I can't send a text message with Google Now voice commands, which is the one thing I was hoping for.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There's a rumor going around that next year's iPhone is going to get rid of the physical home button. If true, I wonder if that will push Samsung to get rid of theirs too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Got Nougat on my 5X; didn't fix the bug where I can't send a text message with Google Now voice commands, which is the one thing I was hoping for.

Works pretty well on my 5x on M and N. Hth

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just tested this driving back from the chippy, works fine here, what's wrong on your end?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Started about a week or two after I got the phone. I say "OK Google, send a text to {name}", it asks me for the message, I say whatever, it asks me if I want to send, I say yes, it says OK and then just fails with "Message not sent". It recognizes the commands and names and transcribes the message correctly. Regular keyboard texting works fine. I've tried switching SMS to Hangouts and back and clearing the caches of the Google app and the SMS apps.

Doesn't fail every last time but definitely a majority, enough to make me just not try anymore. Project Fi support directed me to the Google help forums, which look like 1998 Geocities pages and have about the same quality of content. I see plenty of people there reporting the problem, some saying it just went away, but no explanation of a cause and nothing that seems to be a definite fix.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FunOne posted:

They already have your number. And they're going to link it to Facebook to better recommend friends and show you ads ON FACEBOOK. There are no current plans to add advertising to WhatsApp. Nor can they read your messages to target ads at you. They're also going to start using FB's app infrastructure for usage reporting and whatnot.

The plan is to monetize by building a platforms for businesses to interact with people via WhatsApp and charge them for the privilege.

The nerdery is going crazy over something that isn't really a change at all. I loathe Facebook as much as the next guy, but this isn't worth going back to SMS over.

Allo also won't have banner ads. They're going to monetize by selling you poo poo via the Google Assistant/Search integration.

I have a fb profile only for tinder. I don't really trust anything fb says so it's better to simply stay away from it. I understand most people don't give a crap as long as everything is "free".

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

lelandjs posted:

I actually hopped into the display settings to check and there was a larger/smaller setting, but it was already set to small.

Could be that I've just forgotten how large app icons and things usually are on smartphones, I've had my iPhone SE set to the iPhone 6's resolution since I jailbroke it a month ago.

[Edit: just changed my SE back to the resolution it's supposed to be and oh yeah okay the Note 7's UI elements are the same size, I'm just a sperg that wants as much stuff on then screen as possible]
If you want things even smaller, you can change the DPI without root using ADB or a terminal emulator.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's some informed speculation that the reason why Snapdragon 800 family is excluded from 7.0 is the lack of OpenGL ES 3.1 support. Apparently, it's required now for CTS (it or Vulkan). So, since it can't pass compatibility, it can't target the 7.0 level of API which means it isn't allowed to have the Play Store when running that version.

http://m.androidcentral.com/Android-7-snapdragon-800

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

When Google starts trying to cram sugary Nougat into my 5X, will it be mature enough to use and have okay app support? Or will it be like all the other releases where there are pretty terrible bugs that are ironed out within a couple of months?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
People have been running the beta full time for months, now. It'll be fine.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

lol Samsung giving you some great iris scanner options, almost as good as the font choices.

I work for the company and even I shake my head when I see grown people (including men) using Cool Jazz

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

azurite posted:

When Google starts trying to cram sugary Nougat into my 5X, will it be mature enough to use and have okay app support? Or will it be like all the other releases where there are pretty terrible bugs that are ironed out within a couple of months?

A few days ago, I adb sideloaded the OTA update that Android Police linked to since I didn't feel like waiting, and I haven't had anything but minor gripes about UX that affect all devices (such as: why is the long-press duration for moving notification controls around in edit mode way longer than anywhere else in the OS? Or why am I being required to long-press at all when relocating icons is the only thing I can do in edit mode?)

Chrome might be feeling a little slower (some stuttering when switching tabs), but that could also just be my expectations for performance creeping upwards since I got rid of my iPhone 5S a couple months ago. It's possible that Chrome under Marshmallow could have been performing the same way, and that I wasn't paying as close attention to it.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 26, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That's good. Bluetooth works fine as well?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Bluetooth has been working A-OK on my 6p through months of N beta usage.

Honestly my only complaint so far is that the Amazon Underground appstore has decided that I have never owned any of its apps and no I can't open any I downloaded through it prior to the upgrade and no I can't redownload any of them once I've uninstalled them thank you very much. Which is I guess more of a cautionary tale about using nonstandard appstores than anything. I'm only losing out on TuneIn Pro and a couple little games, but I guess some guy online lost hundreds of dollars worth of navigational apps the week before a trip.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

spincube posted:

Seems useful until you want to input text into the top window, and your keyboard covers the bottom window. (disclaimer: not part of N rollout yet).

Minuum keyboard "for crazies" for the win, it's collapsible to like 48 pixels

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Honestly my only complaint so far is that the Amazon Underground appstore has decided that I have never owned any of its apps and no I can't open any I downloaded through it prior to the upgrade and no I can't redownload any of them once I've uninstalled them thank you very much. Which is I guess more of a cautionary tale about using nonstandard appstores than anything. I'm only losing out on TuneIn Pro and a couple little games, but I guess some guy online lost hundreds of dollars worth of navigational apps the week before a trip.

As someone that just updated to nougat with the release, Bluetooth has been working much better on my 6p than it ever did in Marshmallow.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone know if the Note 7 on samsung.ca front home page is the international version or is is the snapdragon version?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kiwid posted:

Does anyone know if the Note 7 on samsung.ca front home page is the international version or is is the snapdragon version?

Canada is getting the Snapdragon version, just like the US, according to nearly every tech blog based in Canada I've read that did a story about it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote7/comments/4zuwnk/my_blue_coral_note_7_ultimate_grip_and_ultimate/

Was bound to happen. I'm filing a lawsuit for patent infringement.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kiwid posted:

Canada got the Snapdragon version this time, confirmed, no Exynos here :(

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Log out/sign out of the amazon app, then login again. Same thing happened to me and that's how I fixed it.

I'm looking at getting the note 7, but don't like the crap Verizon did to their version. Googling around and it seems like I'll have to install a stock firmware, but the sites with the firmware state its not for US phones. Anybody try this?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone recommend a Single DIN car stereo that works well to control their android over USB (just looking for basic controls for spotify etc. play/pause, volume, track skip and display track title)

I haven't used USB for a car stereo in a long time but it used to be sort of a pain and sacrificed audio quality. It it's improved in some substantial way in the last 8 years or so then I'd check it out as well.

My old Alpine head unit apparently isn't compatible with my Galaxy S7 sadly otherwise it's still going strong. It seems like there are so many stereos out there that are made specifically for iPhone.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 27, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone recommend a Single DIN car stereo that works well to control their android over USB (just looking for basic controls for spotify etc. play/pause, volume, track skip and display track title)

I haven't used USB for a car stereo in a long time but it used to be sort of a pain and sacrificed audio quality. It it's improved in some substantial way in the last 8 years or so then I'd check it out as well.

My old Alpine head unit apparently isn't compatible with my Galaxy S7 sadly otherwise it's still going strong. It seems like there are so many stereos out there that are made specifically for iPhone.

they don't sell the one I have anymore but I use something similar to this, assuming you have a USB port and aux port it works fine. a lot cheaper than a new head unit

https://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Br...ZMX78B581KCX6PR

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

Whats wrong with Bluetooth?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

If I join the beta on my Nexus 6, it offers me a preview build. When it goes to the final release, can I then leave the beta and stay on Nougat? Or will it wipe my device still

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Long shot probably, but anyone using a 2016 Mazda CX-5 (probably a 2014 and later Mazda 3 is close enough too) care to say if the Bluetooth is flaky or not?

I've had too many weirdass device incompatibilities with Bluetooth over the year to just assume its all hunky-dory.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

myron cope posted:

If I join the beta on my Nexus 6, it offers me a preview build. When it goes to the final release, can I then leave the beta and stay on Nougat? Or will it wipe my device still

You should get an OTA to the release build and it won't wipe anything

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Long shot probably, but anyone using a 2016 Mazda CX-5 (probably a 2014 and later Mazda 3 is close enough too) care to say if the Bluetooth is flaky or not?

I've had too many weirdass device incompatibilities with Bluetooth over the year to just assume its all hunky-dory.

Works fine on a 2016 Mazda 6, it will read your messages to you and allow you to play/pause music and Youtube from the controls. It does have some quirks occasionally, mostly when getting back in the car after another phone has been paired with it. No Android Auto thus far but you probably know that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Linking to your own reddit post trying to gain karma. Shameful.