Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aerofallosov posted:

I hope that they implement gay marriages. Sometimes the bachelorettes are just way more awesome than the bachelors. I'm still not over losing that feature in DS Cute because the witch, mermaid et al were a thousand times more awesome than the dudes. Actually, I didn't buy DS Cute because of it and that the male marriage options were kind of eh.

As for why people make a big deal of it, why not? It sucks having your sexuality completely ignored in media, including games and TV. Marriage is a big chunk of HM games. People forget that beyond the farming stuff, it is a social game. It's generally hard to advance if you never make friends, after all.

You could switch your appearance between male and female sometimes late into rf4 so that was kinda neat i guess

oh nvm i didnt wanna read the thread nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

PotU posted:

You could switch your appearance between male and female sometimes late into rf4 so that was kinda neat i guess

oh nvm i didnt wanna read the thread nvm

Well, okay. If you say so. And it was neat that you could switch appearances, yes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In RF4, does savescumming confessions work? Valentine's day is tomorrow and this stupid rear end in a top hat Leon still thinks my heartfelt declarations of love are pranks

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure it works, it's just that you can have a pretty low chance of confessions working depending on their LP and who else you've confessed to.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm pretty sure it works, it's just that you can have a pretty low chance of confessions working depending on their LP and who else you've confessed to.

It does. You want at least 7 or 8 hearts with the person, and the more hearts, the better. Also, hareming makes it harder, too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gibbo posted:

The character interactions are obviously a key point of the games, and enjoyable. I'm poking at these people who are far too invested in their cartoon peoples yelling about how they need to make every townsperson a viable candidate and gender boundaries need not be a thing blah blah blah, and seemingly want that at the cost of farming/merchantry side of things. If these people want character interaction as the main point of the game, it seems like it would be much easier to just go play a visual novel game.

They've continued to backseat the farming (in the HM games, it can get shelved all it wants in RF) through a series of bad mechanics changes(the loving market game) or arbitrary time gating(why plant anything else ever when flax is available early), while "focusing" on other things like furniture. If I cared about furniture I'd go play the sims or animal crossing.

Yea but from the other side of your argument if all you care about is the empire building resource manager thing you could just play Sim city or Anno or something. The appeal is the half and half thing where you're running a production chain as a character while also trying to accomplish other things outside of just raising your bottom line.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tender Bender posted:

Yea but from the other side of your argument if all you care about is the empire building resource manager thing you could just play Sim city or Anno or something. The appeal is the half and half thing where you're running a production chain as a character while also trying to accomplish other things outside of just raising your bottom line.

I do play market and economy Sims as well. However, those don't have quite the same parallel as Sim games and visual novels do to the Waifu harvesting side of these games.

Plus there aren't exactly a lot of them available, and the best ones are getting quote dated

My complaint is they've basically neglected the farming side entirely except for a couple badly thought out forays.

I'm in favour of balanced growth to both halves of the game

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gibbo what's your favourite Rune Factory

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It turns out even if you savescum your confession the day before valentine's it's still too late to ask him on a date because the stupid jerk refuses to answer you until the next day

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Return to Popolocrois is $14.03 on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Return-PopoloCrois-STORY-SEASONS-Fairytale-Nintendo/dp/B00Z9LUGPE

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

this would be cool if the cost of shipping to my country wouldn't completely negate any discount
e. and yours too maybe, if your horrible avatar is indicative of country

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 3, 2016

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

oh
my
freaking
god

i just realised that i can place a stack of 99 branches, hit them once with the axe, and get a stack of 99 lumber, what the gently caress

was this in the ANB as well??? i am losing my poo poo here

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Corridor posted:

oh
my
freaking
god

i just realised that i can place a stack of 99 branches, hit them once with the axe, and get a stack of 99 lumber, what the gently caress

was this in the ANB as well??? i am losing my poo poo here

yes

:science:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

so much time wasted hitting individual branches and stones...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
After 2 hours I'm ready to give up on Story of Seasons. After playing Rune Factory 4, SoS just feels like... 20% of a game.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I like SoS and the farming focused Harvest Moons. I just got overwhelmed in SoS because there were so many animals and fields. I wish I didn't need two of each so I could do the darn recipes.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

agreed, with both posts, but for some reason i find SoS charming and engaging enough to hold my interest. im sure the autism has something to do with it... also SoS doesn't have that stupid dragon!

actually, now that i think about it, the portrait art probably goes some way toward the charm. it's a step above the usual HM/RF portraits thats for sure

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In RF4, about how long can I expect to have to play before I get the town event that allows me to marry my boyfriend? (Leon in this case). I know it's random but I want to know if it's more like "play for a few seasons" or "play for a few years".

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

In RF4, about how long can I expect to have to play before I get the town event that allows me to marry my boyfriend? (Leon in this case). I know it's random but I want to know if it's more like "play for a few seasons" or "play for a few years".

It really is random. Sometimes it's a few seasons, sometimes a few years. I've been playing for ages and still no luck.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, there's a lot of exciting news coming over about SoS: ToT. One is that a lot of the time gating that sucks about SoS is gone. People have alpacas in the first spring. :3: And apparently reverse proposal and proposals likely share the same requirements. No more of this 30 favorite gifts, etc. business.

Here is my field trip report from restarting SoS:

1) Holy gently caress the fishing festival. How the hell do you get 24 fish and a 380cm fish THE FIRST YEAR?! I CALL CHEAT, GUNTHER. And the NPCs get to teleport to spots before I'm even out the gate. Thanks, guys.

2) Bricks. Dear lord. Why doesn't the mine open up sooner? I need a bunch and I have to savescum diving until I'm blue in the face or until the mines open up. :|

3) Ores in general until the mine.

4) My chickens are awesome. Take that, Elise.

5) I really don't like this Margot lady. She hates animals, talks down at me, never lets her poor kid play and also is an animal hater. Boo to that.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 11, 2016

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh, and Elise decides to join the challenge conquest right at the time of the Chicken Festival. Screw you, Elise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm starting a Harvest Moon CYOA on these forums. I hope you'll come play [CYOA] Stardew Harvest - Idealized Islands.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Popolocrois SoS is $15 on the eShop right now.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

LLSix posted:

I'm starting a Harvest Moon CYOA on these forums. I hope you'll come play [CYOA] Stardew Harvest - Idealized Islands.

Fuckin weirdo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harvest Moon Skytree Village is getting a LE, $50: http://store.nisamerica.com/harvest-moon-skytree-village-limited-edition

quote:

Limited Edition Includes:
• Harvest Moonฎ: Skytree Village game for Nintendo 3DS
• Collector's box
• Full-color, 44-page softcover art book
• Original soundtrack with jewel case
• 6 Lapel pin set
• Blue feather rubber strap keychain (to be revealed soon!)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Remember, give the blue feather when you have enough heart points with the marriage candidate of your choice.

Or is Natsume proposing to you by giving that feather if you give them enough money?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
We really get a new Harvest Moon AND SoS??? Be still my heart :swoon:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
still waiting for a better hm game than rune factory 4

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Mad Wack posted:

:yeah:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

one eschaton of your choice later:

Mad Wack posted:

jk it'd be pretty easy once you don't have multiple against-the-odds drop gates to get to endgame power

really hard to beat otherwise though

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mad Wack posted:

better hold out for stardew 2 then

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume's doing two more bundles for Skytree Village (NA-only):

Bluebird Bundle, includes this 5" plush, $40

Bobcat Bundle, includes this 12" plush, $50

They're not available yet but will go up on Natsume's Amazon page soon.

The standard game will be $30, out October in NA and early next year in PAL-land.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Natsume's doing two more bundles for Skytree Village (NA-only):

Bluebird Bundle, includes this 5" plush, $40

Bobcat Bundle, includes this 12" plush, $50

They're not available yet but will go up on Natsume's Amazon page soon.

The standard game will be $30, out October in NA and early next year in PAL-land.

I don't think they will ever top the yak.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yasuhiro Wada, original creator of Bokujo Monogatari, is making a new PS4 game with Arc System Works tentatively titled "Birthdays": http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/23112936.html

Basically, you cultivate/terraform the land so that the creatures of the world can thrive/evolve. More info after TGS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...more info right now! ASW confirmed the game for western release next year via NISA. Here's some footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4_uK4rcWg

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cool, SimEarth is getting a sequel.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
is this where we talk about Rune Factory?

If so, how are the Wii games and is one better than the other?

I've only played the first RF game and I do like it quite a bit. Thanks.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

SylvainMustach posted:

is this where we talk about Rune Factory?

If so, how are the Wii games and is one better than the other?

I've only played the first RF game and I do like it quite a bit. Thanks.

Frontier has one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever made in the runey system. Tides is actually an alright game, but they kinda destroyed the farming aspects

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you have access to a way to turn off the Runey system by setting them all to default levels (through homebrew stuff on Wii or emulation), Frontier is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DoubleDonut posted:

If you have access to a way to turn off the Runey system by setting them all to default levels (through homebrew stuff on Wii or emulation), Frontier is fantastic.

maybe if its your first game, if not the farming is agonizingly slow even with the runey system's annoyances neutered.

• Locked thread