Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What kind of graphics card am I looking at for playing flyaround games on a Vive? Is there significant CPU overhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Am I missing something or is the Drone mod not available in ModBox unless you load one of the pre-made games that already have it in? I can't seem to find it in the mod menus at all

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

What kind of graphics card am I looking at for playing flyaround games on a Vive? Is there significant CPU overhead?

What do you mean by flyaround games? DCS? Elite? A 970 or better is usable with any game right now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What do you mean by flyaround games? DCS? Elite? A 970 or better is usable with any game right now.

FSX with FlyInside requires something with a little more kick, though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Interestingly, this boundary wasn’t actually just a line; it appeared as a piece of barbed wire, fitting with Dead & Buried’s Western aesthetic. This suggests of course that developers may have the ability to style the Oculus boundary system to suit their game. Chaperone on the HTC Vive, on the other hand, can be customized by the user, but I haven’t ever seen it styled on a developer controlled, per-application basis.

not a good idea

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

not a good idea

Yeah, I'm not that thrilled with the implementation either. I'm all for letting the user customising chaperone boundaries but handing over complete control to random developers might not be a great idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's probably no way to let developers customize the boundaries without some developer being edgy and setting the boundaries to be invisible because it destroys the integrity of their art.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

There's probably no way to let developers customize the boundaries without some developer being edgy and setting the boundaries to be invisible because it destroys the integrity of their art.

I really absolutely wish developers had the ability to set boundaries to be invisible (after requesting it of the player) in some games, there are some games where it literally adds nothing of value except ruining the experience. (Like Unseen Diplomacy, which already has in-game hard boundaries, but yet every time you get near a wall, which is often, you still get that stupid blue overlay)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I really absolutely wish developers had the ability to set boundaries to be invisible (after requesting it of the player) in some games, there are some games where it literally adds nothing of value except ruining the experience. (Like Unseen Diplomacy, which already has in-game hard boundaries, but yet every time you get near a wall, which is often, you still get that stupid blue overlay)

You can turn it off yourself in the settings, but it's sort of dangerous because I guarantee you will forget to turn it back on at some point and will hit something

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hm, I wonder if the Chaperone Manager can save that for an easy toggle on/off. I'd like to have it off for Audioshield since my space is very long, but fairly narrow. There's not much space where the chaperone doesn't show up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SwissCM posted:

Yeah, I'm not that thrilled with the implementation either. I'm all for letting the user customising chaperone boundaries but handing over complete control to random developers might not be a great idea.

Could be cool in some games. I'm picturing a horror game where the chaperone is like a wall of screaming faces

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Like lemming said, you can change this in the steam vr settings. You can go from invisible to an always on grid of squares.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I did mean games like Elite, where you fly around.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
With Elite I might recommend something better than a 970; maybe a 980 or a 1070. It's pretty taxing.

For almost all other games a 970 seems to work fine, though.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SwissCM posted:

FSX with FlyInside requires something with a little more kick, though.

Like, how much more kick?

I'm looking at the usual, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, an SSD and a 1070. Should be enough for Prepar3d, FSX, or X Plane with graphics mods and flyinside, yeah?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SwissCM posted:

Making a product that removes a persons vision and asks them to move around blindly could be very dangerous if not done correctly. People hurting themselves using a product often spurs a lawsuit and let's not kid ourselves here, there have been plenty of successful lawsuits over products that are less dangerous than an Oculus Rift could potentially be, frivolous or not.

Basically this. Chaperone is such a base, primitive part of roomscale VR that it's going to be expected from the Oculus

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tide posted:

Like, how much more kick?

I'm looking at the usual, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, an SSD and a 1070. Should be enough for Prepar3d, FSX, or X Plane with graphics mods and flyinside, yeah?

You won't be able to crank detail to full on any reasonably priced setup, but a 1070 should give you a good experience after tweaking some settings.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SwissCM posted:

You won't be able to crank detail to full on any reasonably priced setup, but a 1070 should give you a good experience after tweaking some settings.

WOW.

I had no idea that VR was that graphically intensive. Is it because of the 90fps requirement?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tide posted:

WOW.

I had no idea that VR was that graphically intensive. Is it because of the 90fps requirement?

It's because you have to render everything twice. It's like playing a game at 1080x1200 on two monitors. With Nvidia's latest cards and if it is properly implemented by games, you only have to render a scene once and then change the perspective for each eye. Then there's also the 90fps thing.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Not just that, you have to always have 90fps. 90fps most of the time isn't good enough. Also the headset position data is updated and the frame adjusted right before it's sent to the displays, so the frames aren't buffered the same as a 2D display.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

With Nvidia's latest cards and if it is properly implemented by games, you only have to render a scene once and then change the perspective for each eye. Then there's also the 90fps thing.

is this actually ever going to happen?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

It's because you have to render everything twice. It's like playing a game at 1080x1200 on two monitors. With Nvidia's latest cards and if it is properly implemented by games, you only have to render a scene once and then change the perspective for each eye. Then there's also the 90fps thing.

TomR posted:

Not just that, you have to always have 90fps. 90fps most of the time isn't good enough. Also the headset position data is updated and the frame adjusted right before it's sent to the displays, so the frames aren't buffered the same as a 2D display.

Also, in SteamVR, it uses a render output resolution upscale of 1.4x original. You can turn this off by using a renderoutputresolution=0.6 ini your SteamVR in config file. This means you rendering 1512x1680 for each eye at 90hz(3024x1680@90Hz total). 4k@60Hz is 497.6Mp/s(Megapixels) thorough put while the Vive is 457.2Mp/s in SteamVR.

This is why I'm hopeful of Volta from Nvidia. On their roadmap they have Volta as being almost double the performance of Pascal. The Titan XP barely does 4k@60, which makes Volta so desirable for me.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 27, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

AndrewP posted:

I think we have to wait for engines like UE4 to implement it and then wait for new games built on the latest version of the engine, or for game devs to put out a patch where they moved the game to the latest version of the engine, which isn't very common.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, "my sources" say that engine developers are already doing the work.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AndrewP posted:

The latest versions of Unity support it - specifically the generic algorithm that works on all cards, not the Nvidia-only one - so we should start seeing it in games pretty soon. Whether we'll see anyone implementing the Nvidia-specific processes that squeeze another 5% out, I don't know.

e: Apparently Unreal has also had it since 4.11? I've not seen anything claiming to use it since then, which is odd.

e2: Correction: Looking at the release notes more closely, Unity 5.4 only added single-pass stereo rendering, not instanced stereo rendering, so they won't be getting the full savings yet.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 27, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SlayVus posted:

This is why I'm hopeful of Volta from Nvidia. On their roadmap they have Volta as being almost double the performance of Pascal. The Titan XP barely does 4k@60, which makes Volta so desirable for me.

This is a perfect summation of PC gaming. "This is pretty good, but just wait until this next generation, THAT's gonna be the ticket."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Which is kind of my thinking in this whole thing...

The next generation vr headsets will be even more whizbang but will require more whizbang horsepower to push it. It's kind of a never ending arms race.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Foveal rendering could make that untrue, theoretically.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Suppose it depends on what the next screen resolutions and frame rates are. PC games in general are past the point where you *need* top end hardware to play the latest games, just need to turn the settings down. VR will probably get there in a generation or two I would think. Art direction has more to do with how good a game looks than raw power does anymore most of the time anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The next generation will need high res screens and eye tracking. The latest nvidia cards support Displayport 1.4 which can do 4K at 120hz. That would be a huge jump in resolution. Plus with foveated rendering, people could probably still get away with a 1070 or so as the high detail section of the screen would still be smaller than the current screens.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any word from Vive or Occulus about their next generation headsets? I've been wanting to get into VR since it came out but its going to require a whole new PC for me. If there's something coming with higher HW requirements even six months ahead I think I'd rather wait than invest all that money (and time spent researching parts) now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

LLSix posted:

Any word from Vive or Occulus about their next generation headsets? I've been wanting to get into VR since it came out but its going to require a whole new PC for me. If there's something coming with higher HW requirements even six months ahead I think I'd rather wait than invest all that money (and time spent researching parts) now.

HTC Still In Planning Stage For ‘Vive 2’, so that's quite a long way off. No corresponding word from Oculus, though I would personally say that "within six months" isn't particularly plausible. Within 2017 maybe.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I thought of another reason why VR rendering is more demanding than normal games. Depending on your game and settings you choose the FOV is probably wider in VR, which generally means more objects on screen being drawn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LLSix posted:

In the past couple months, we just got to the point where both headsets are shipping when people buy them. The Vive first and then the Rift. Touch still hasn't come out yet and is slated to be out sometime in October or November. Best Buy is planning on having 500 Rift demos in their stores this holiday season. A new generation isn't going to be out for a while. Oculus said their generation would be somewhere between a phone and a console. So somewhere between 1-10 years. I'm guessing it will be around 1.5-3 years. We probably won't see hints of a new generation until maybe mid 2017 and I don't think anything will come out until 2018. That's from HTC or Oculus. Anyone else could come in at any point with their headset.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Geeez. Bought a used old MOMO wheel on eBay and just tried Project Cars. Amazing how much it changes the experience. I think Dirt Rally is going to be terrifying. VR is cool.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I've seen it demonstrated. If Unity hasn't already implemented it then it's just a patch or two away. It needed a lot of features implemented elsewhere to make it work and all that has been done.

I'm betting it has some weird results on post effects and such so it probably isn't just flipping a switch on your build. Even when Unity gets it and for UE4 games it may require some extra work for existing games to support it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm betting it has some weird results on post effects and such so it probably isn't just flipping a switch on your build. Even when Unity gets it and for UE4 games it may require some extra work for existing games to support it.

Instanced stereo rendering shouldn't require any changes to post effects; it only changes how you draw the scene in the first place, the scene output is unchanged. It does affect shaders, though; if a game's just using Unity surface shaders or Unreal's material editor then it should be fine, but any games that write their own shader code will likely need to rework it.

I mean, technically you could change the post effects to use instanced stereo rendering as well, but the savings from that would be minuscule so there's no reason to bother.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NRVNQSR posted:

Instanced stereo rendering shouldn't require any changes to post effects; it only changes how you draw the scene in the first place, the scene output is unchanged.

For things like sun glare appearing/scaling as the sun becomes visible, don't you need to test per-eye? I always assumed that was done by adding geometry, but maybe it's a post effect.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

For things like sun glare appearing/scaling as the sun becomes visible, don't you need to test per-eye? I always assumed that was done by adding geometry, but maybe it's a post effect.

If it's done as a post effect then it'll already be working per-eye so it won't need changes. You're right, though, anything in the scene that wants to do different draw calls in different eyes needs to be adjusted for instanced stereo; billboards are another classic example.

I actually don't know what the current best practice is on billboards in VR, other than "don't use them". I'd guess "do the billboard selection logic once for both, but orient each eye's billboard to face that eye", but I don't know if that's better or worse than matching their world space orientations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Per-eye billboard orientation seems like it would be better, but I'm not certain. Mostly I bet billboards are used far enough away that the screen space error between orientations is beneath the noise floor.