Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Silver Alicorn posted:

I won't be buying a CRT.

I've got a CPD-E540 and a GDM-FW900 sitting right here in La Jolla if you want to borrow one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Silver Alicorn posted:

I should probably go get a hard drive

don't get some IDE trash. get a pro SCSI drive, at least 10kRPM. 15k would be better. might want to get a 68-80pin adapter in order to use the cheaper ebay-listed 15k drives though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
or get a SCSI backplane for your case, that would be rad too.

also wrt 2nd CPU, there isn't some bullshit little jumper you have to set for that, is there? i see you've got a VRM there for it, does it match what the motherboard is expecting?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don't get some IDE trash. get a pro SCSI drive, at least 10kRPM. 15k would be better. might want to get a 68-80pin adapter in order to use the cheaper ebay-listed 15k drives though.

in raid 4

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway here's the fully assembled system (so far). sorry bout my dusty desk

hey, that's one of the USB volume/whatever knobs right?
any good?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

epipen posted:

any good?

in these dark times we need the return of the knob thread

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok the hal upgrade is maybe just for windows? but I changed some bios settings and still it won't start up w/ the 2nd CPU

i remember p3-era dual processor setups being insanely picky about the processors. if they weren't exactly the same model and stepping then it would just refuse to work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

or get a SCSI backplane for your case, that would be rad too.

also wrt 2nd CPU, there isn't some bullshit little jumper you have to set for that, is there? i see you've got a VRM there for it, does it match what the motherboard is expecting?

Sweevo posted:

i remember p3-era dual processor setups being insanely picky about the processors. if they weren't exactly the same model and stepping then it would just refuse to work

the VRM I got is ~~~supposed~~~ to be the right one but documentation is really skimpy. also the two CPUs I have are identical in speed, fsb, everything, they were pulled from the exact same model compaq as far as I can tell. I couldn't find any jumpers to switch. did find a bios setting but it didn't do the trick. who knows :iiam:

I was thinking of getting a cf<>ide adapter because I'm already stuck using a crappy old PSU and I don't want to amplify the failure rate with more crusty old moving parts.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

epipen posted:

any good?

the knob is excellent

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
have you still not figured out the extra power connector on the board? I know for more modern boards some won't do multi cpu without additional power. I should have kept my huge old dual p3-660mhz with insane full length agp and PCI video card and 10k scsi drives.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got an OEM compaq power supply for testing. it has the connections. it's like a pcie connector but instead of 3 12v pins it has 1 12v and 2 3.3v

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe one of the power rails isn't putting out enough power? I'll try dual cpu again when I frankenstein an ATX in

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also, this webzone is proving useful and may be of interest to followers of this thread:

https://winworldpc.com/

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This thread is bad for me

It looks like all those years hung up on the wall might have made this board a little wonky, but it might also be that the powersupply doesn't have all the right connectors to power the second CPU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

arrrgh I found my old seagate cheetah 15krpm scsi drive but I can't find the 68-pin scsi cable, those fuckers are way too expensive on ebay.

Maybe I can scavenge one from the server graveyard at work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I just paid 80 bucks on hard drive adapters and flash memory

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also got a sata->ide adapter but the ata cable I bought (last one at fry's) is too short to reach the drive bays lomarf

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

posting from windows 2000

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how's yospos look on ie 6?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

what the gently caress

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CF-IDE-Connects-3-5-Inch-Interface/dp/B000TMDE6G

did you buy $70 of old compact flash cards or something idgi

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm in a dorm room now without a car to get to my storage unit so i have a hard block on pulling out my sparcstations and SGIs to show y'all

thank gently caress

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The adapter was $20 at fry's plus I bought some other stuff to keep my options open. I didn't want to wait another week for shipping.

Endless Mike posted:

how's yospos look on ie 6?

ie6? didn't exist til 2001!

it doesn't work right in ie5 because it doesn't support https

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Silver Alicorn posted:

yospos.jpg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i'll be honest it's pretty dogshit slow, at least when I'm trying to install poo poo in the background

I should probably be running opera instead

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't remember any of this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

a stunning audiovisual experience

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this thread got good

also holy moly that S3 how do you have that

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

The adapter was $20 at fry's plus I bought some other stuff to keep my options open. I didn't want to wait another week for shipping.

lol if u dont have amazon prime

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't remember any of this

back in the good old days of ad-supported opera i had this app launcher program that was designed to cover up the opera banner ad. it didn't remove it or even integrate into opera, it just detected when opera had focus and would sit on top of the application, hiding the banner ad

good times

also FYI from that winworld site you linked, i downloaded their win2K VM and that has opera 10.63 installed so if you need a newer browser that will definitely work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've been using firefox 10 which is okay-ish

also this is loving Smooth at 720p

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

UT99 is Very Good

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've been using firefox 10 which is okay-ish

also this is loving Smooth at 720p

i've been browsing sites on neocities (here's a guy's blog about what happned to certs mints) in opera in a win2k VM in some pathetic half-assed attempt to relive my wasted years in highschool

now im gonna go play some ut99

oh btw may i suggest this wallpaper for ur vintage rig? post ur w1cked s1ck windows blinds themes and winamp skins (whoa, remember application skins?!??!)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I often don't bother changing from the default wallpaper

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway here's the fully assembled system (so far). sorry bout my dusty desk

Why contain it?

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

UT99 is Very Good

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh btw may i suggest this wallpaper for ur vintage rig? post ur w1cked s1ck windows blinds themes and winamp skins (whoa, remember application skins?!??!)

lol. that wallpaper site (one of them, anyway) is on the tip of my tongue....

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

oh duh check the fucken watermark http://www.digitalblasphemy.com

some good times spent there yes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well newer versions of opera keep crashing this sweet rig... not sure what the problem is, but surely they weren't made with pentium 3 and win2k as their preferred platform. firefox has been fine if slow, will maybe try k-meleon as well.

atomicthumbs posted:

Why contain it?

I actually scored a sweet antec case. gives me somewhere to put the cdrom drives at least

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

why did we ever give up on browser gestures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they turned into multitouch gestures I guess

• Locked thread