Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

And if story mode is so easy that anyone can do it in a day, then guess what? They're sitting around for months with "nothing" to do anyway.

No, they ground out both Gordias and Midas for the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe people who are better at combat should get catered to in the combat content, i dunno

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
would someone who's good at crafting please give me enough gil to buy a large house

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
its extremely unfair that in this casual game for casuals they expect me to learn a crafting rotation

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Reiterpallasch posted:

maybe people who are better at combat should get catered to in the combat content, i dunno

They do, they get a title and mount.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Verranicus posted:

This is some straight up official forums poo poo we're arguing about now I hope you guys realize

Yeah basically.

TO pull us out of this downward spiral I'm gonna re-ask a post from earlier that got eaten in patch notes talk, I'm about to hit the Crystal Sands tier of Anima weapon for AST and I have 0 idea what stats I should be leaning towards for it. I mean, I know what stats are good on AST but the freedom of the allocation kind of has me a little worried that I could gently caress up my weapon a bit so does anyone have any suggestions for it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why is story gated behind a challenge such a bad thing? Nobody has answered this fundamental question. People are ok with gear, and mounts, and titles being locked behind savage, but nobody can explain why the idea of throwing a very small and disconnected portion of the overarching story in with them is this unholy heresy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

TO pull us out of this downward spiral I'm gonna re-ask a post from earlier that got eaten in patch notes talk, I'm about to hit the Crystal Sands tier of Anima weapon for AST and I have 0 idea what stats I should be leaning towards for it. I mean, I know what stats are good on AST but the freedom of the allocation kind of has me a little worried that I could gently caress up my weapon a bit so does anyone have any suggestions for it?

Acc/piety probably, but you might want an actual astro to tell you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
or why it was fine during coil, wherein they locked the literal where-are-they-now epilogue for 1.x behind raid tier content

e: i'd be a little surprised if the answer wasn't piety/determination, like for white mages

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Fister Roboto posted:

Why is story gated behind a challenge such a bad thing? Nobody has answered this fundamental question. People are ok with gear, and mounts, and titles being locked behind savage, but nobody can explain why the idea of throwing a very small and disconnected portion of the overarching story in with them is this unholy heresy.

Maybe this

Yeah, you a player could just watch the cutscenes on youtube if the dungeon is too hard, but why would Paul Gamedesigner at SE want players to ever do that? It's entirely in their best interest to try to get as many people having fun with content as possible because it's their job to get people playing the video game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ironically, i would have liked binding coil story more much more than alex story mode, since the plot of binding coil actually matters a ton in the grand scheme of things

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
story content is separate from hardcore content, that should be screamingly obviously to approximately everyone that has touched this game

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fister Roboto posted:

Acc/piety probably, but you might want an actual astro to tell you.

Because most people aren't good enough to do the hard raids and S-E wants as many people to do the raids and see the content as possible. That's why.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

ironically, i would have liked binding coil story more much more than alex story mode, since the plot of binding coil actually matters a ton in the grand scheme of things

:same:

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Story mode is fine. Savage is fine. There should be more medium-difficulty content for people and groups for which story mode content is too easy and savage is too hard.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah basically.

The crystal sand step allows you to go back and change stats after completion, without the need for umbrite, just the sand you get for trading in items. Assuming you have miner and botanist leveled and geared enough for blue scrips, this means its really danged easy to change stats on a whim. So don't feel like you'll gently caress up with bad allotment. Nothing is set in stone. The way it works is you can continue buying sand from Ulan, and each sand allows you to shift 3 points around.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this dumb game for casuals has made you all soft as baby poo poo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If nothing else this silly argument has made questing more interesting so thanks for that I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reiterpallasch posted:

or why it was fine during coil, wherein they locked the literal where-are-they-now epilogue for 1.x behind raid tier content

It kind of wasn't to be 100% honest. It's just less of an issue because a lot of the player base didn't play 1.X and the story inside Coils wasn't that big of a consequence overall unless you really need to see what happened to Grandpa Elf. Plus the physical locations of the coils were all kind of just over the hills/off screen so if you as a casual player never even looked at Coil you'd still think "Yeah Bahamut burnt through all his energy and died and all those people in 1.X are dead and now we're rebuilding" and the only real revelation in coil was "Well he burnt through MOST of it so the WoL came in and beat up what was left of him and the survivors, but yeah you're mostly right."

Where as Alexander is this Giant robot in a big sealed bubble that you see rise out of the lake at the end of the MSQ and as you progress through it it raises and changes parts of the actual landscape in a zone that you're going to be seeing quite a bit of. It's a little more enticing, or at least harder to ignore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Because people have gotten sick of that stuff from other MMO's where they do lock story behind challenging content, coupled with the story in FFXIV being pretty good, which leads to more people actually caring about the story rather than mounts/titles/gear.

Also it doubles down on those content creation hours. It's relatively quick to add in titles, mounts, minions, gear and their blurbs but story adds on a whole lot more resources that could be going to a wider audience.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

This dumb baby game for casuals is going to start having you no longer being required to face your target to auto attack. To me that is both the worst and best thing; it enables even more terrible players, while it may also increase the global DPS of everyone so that it's slightly less painful to play with pubbies

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ilifinicus posted:

This dumb baby game for casuals is going to start having you no longer being required to face your target to auto attack. To me that is both the worst and best thing; it enables even more terrible players, while it may also increase the global DPS of everyone so that it's slightly less painful to play with pubbies

I still don't understand why this was even changed. Like, my mind literally can't parse it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Because a lot of people aren't aware that it's even a thing.

like me

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

It's ok they'll just remove autoattacks in 4.0 and fold all the potency from them into abilities

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Verranicus posted:

I still don't understand why this was even changed. Like, my mind literally can't parse it.
Controller players don't strafe. They can do it if they lock on, but that feature is apparently so underused that they had to solve it by making it 360 degrees instead. They were dropping auto attacks every time the readjusted their positioning.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Almost 100% certain this was a PvP change. it was almost a necessity to have a button dedicated to force your character to look in the direction the camera was facing to land your autos in PvP as/against a Melee class.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I figured they were giving casters the ability to finish casting on enemies that move and just wanted to give melee classes something too.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Here are some easy possible solutions for this problem:

Solution A: Allow access to the savage tier at the same time as normal. Don't like that everyone gets to enjoy the story then? Oh well.

Solution B: Open up Savage before Normal, but release Normal on the .05 patch (ex: 4.05) one or two weeks after Savage. Forcing people to wait until 4.1 or whatever would most likely clash with SE's 24 man raid plans, combined with the fact that the downtime between major patches is getting fairly long.

Solution C: Continue on as-is, but add in an additional flavor cutscene or whatever at the end for savage raiders.

I do want to mention though that I'm pretty sure the reason the hardcore raid scene in FFXIV is dying is not because of ease of access to story mode (although its a small factor), but because savage gordias and midas have had some really awful difficulty curves. A6S (pre-nerf at least) is significantly more difficult than A5S, and A3S was significantly more difficult than A2S, difficulty wise.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

6 bosses a tier would allow a much smoother difficulty curve for raids and also spread the loot tables out a bit, which would be good if new jobs in 4.0 have their own job-specific armor (pls no)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Here are some easy possible solutions for this problem:

Solution A: Allow access to the savage tier at the same time as normal. Don't like that everyone gets to enjoy the story then? Oh well.

Solution B: Open up Savage before Normal, but release Normal on the .05 patch (ex: 4.05) one or two weeks after Savage. Forcing people to wait until 4.1 or whatever would most likely clash with SE's 24 man raid plans, combined with the fact that the downtime between major patches is getting fairly long.

Solution C: Continue on as-is, but add in an additional flavor cutscene or whatever at the end for savage raiders.

I do want to mention though that I'm pretty sure the reason the hardcore raid scene in FFXIV is dying is not because of ease of access to story mode (although its a small factor), but because savage gordias and midas have had some really awful difficulty curves. A6S (pre-nerf at least) is significantly more difficult than A5S, and A3S was significantly more difficult than A2S, difficulty wise.

I agree entirely with this post. These are all good compromises, to me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Three is absolutely no need for compromise on this. Stop being an elitist dumbass and if you hate that people who don't raid get to see story content so much just uninstall the game.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Virulence posted:

It's ok they'll just remove autoattacks in 4.0 and fold all the potency from them into abilities

I would be 100% OK with this

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Isn't that how it worked in 1.0? I'd be OK with it as well but I know that kind of thing just doesn't work for some people.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Me reading the past several pages

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Moldy Taxes posted:

I figured they were giving casters the ability to finish casting on enemies that move and just wanted to give melee classes something too.

This would be cool too because I am so sick of having to mash F4 every time I cast on a moving target.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think there's a bar that players should meet (Duty finder raiding) to see story content. Its something that you can be easily carried through after a few weeks even if you are not very good, and you need to be able to beat the setpiece raid to get the story inside it, but savage raiding should never gate story content again. People who play the game for the story content outnumber the people who play for savage content by an order of MAGNITUDE. Like, hundreds of thousands. That's their content. Raiders get their trophy mounts and titles, and that should be enough.

The Rising Event was pretty cute. :3:

e: 1.0's "No autoattack" was the worst thing ever and if you never experienced it you have no idea what terrible poo poo you are asking for.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 27, 2016

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

mistaya posted:

e: 1.0's "No autoattack" was the worst thing ever and if you never experienced it you have no idea what terrible poo poo you are asking for.
No autoattack in 1.0 mainly sucked because you had to spam basic attack to build the TP to use any slightly better attack

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
EDIT: Nevermind, got my answer. Sounds kinda lame.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just want to make it clear that I don't think that story should be gated behind savage mode, at its current difficulty level. If story mode had been on the difficulty level of Coil with Echo like they said it would be, I think that would be perfect. Maybe people are disagreeing with me so vehemently because I haven't been clear about that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's what I want: I want the climactic battle of this raid to feel climactic.

So here's where you're 100% full of poo poo to me. Climactic battles have nothing to do with the difficulty. I would even argue that hiding story behind savage content would make the story worse because now that content has to be written so that it doesn't effect the rest of the game. It will inherently be less able to change things in the world than easy story mode can. It's entirely about you wanting an exclusive club to be in, not about how much you care about the story, because if you did care about the story that much the difficulty wouldn't even factor into it.

Letting people skip normal to go straight to Savage doesn't bug me in the slightest, but bringing "THE STORY" into it is loving absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
locking the story behind coil-with-echo 2.55 difficulty would still probably require you to have 7 friends to do it with

• Locked thread