Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
If you put it in the OP it might trick people into thinking they're useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They do a good job distracting the bosses, especially the drat bees. Why yes, I want to not see the screen at all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Erginus: :frogout:

https://a.pomf.cat/tgiikn.mp4

Gamerofthegame posted:

One of the Air Raider's "inferno" weapons is straight up a ICBM.

I was on Inferno doing the one mission where you start on the cliff on the side of the beach and a wave of ants start pouring in from the other side, an Air Raider team member summoned in one of those and everybody else on the team going "WHOA/HOLY poo poo" at the same time as this giant missile swoops in and blows up an entire army of ants was the one time I was happy to be playing with voice chat.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I'm surprised at how much the player count's dropped already. If it weren't for them removing region locked multiplayer I'd probably never find a decent inferno match, there's like 1000 more players once Japan wakes up

I still don't have all the air raider stuff but here's a short video of some fun parts in a few hardest/inferno missions. Might be my favorite class to play in multiplayer now, if giant airstrikes aren't working then you can just hang back and support the team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BCSckR00A

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 28, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Probably because inferno is kind of obnoxious.

My group of friends have been stonewalled by 39, Inferno. On inferno. :v:

gold ant queens what the gently caress

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

here's a short video

You're doing the Lord's work.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Gamerofthegame posted:

Probably because inferno is kind of obnoxious.

My group of friends have been stonewalled by 39, Inferno. On inferno. :v:

gold ant queens what the gently caress

I've seen a few decent strategies for inferno missions so far, though I haven't gone above mission 65 yet so I haven't seen how bad it can get. I played like 30 missions last night and we got through pretty quickly, armor range was 2000-5000.

I just dual wielded the last tempest on mission 39 and it worked out pretty well. Queens went down fast thanks to the ranger on my team. They used that nova buster thing on the mothership on 40 with my power buff and beat it in seconds. That one mission where there's like 8 dropships on the river map, we had a wing diver land on the center dropship and just wait while we sniped everything.
I'm completely avoiding the last 10 or 20 inferno missions until I have a decent amount of armor because those are ridiculously hard even on other difficulties

Me and some random guy tried this helicopter platform thing, the timing of everything had me dying of laughter
https://a.pomf.cat/ekoiyw.mp4
The wingdivers pulled through and saved the day

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 28, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I saw a Wing Diver solo the Erginus on Hardest and that was before I could reach him in the Big O. I thought they had some sort of immunity to weapons.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I saw a Wing Diver solo the Erginus on Hardest and that was before I could reach him in the Big O. I thought they had some sort of immunity to weapons.

I thought this also?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

They're only immune in the early scripted stages, all other times get your lasers a-blastin.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

fritz posted:

They're only immune in the early scripted stages, all other times get your lasers a-blastin.

Which I thank god for, considering every goddamned time I've played the many godzillas brawl in solo or Multi, big red ends up just shuffling and jumping backwards away from me and any surviving NPC Balams for so long, it travels across half the map and outside the mission border.

"Proceeding on foot to apply 100% Governor accuracy rating."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 29, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

It's immune unless someone's riding the robot. If you get out and take some shots it stops taking damage til you get back in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

It's immune unless someone's riding the robot. If you get out and take some shots it stops taking damage til you get back in.

Oh, maybe in solo the surviving NPCs finally decided to THROW A loving PUNCH OR TWO if that was the case?

What a :psyduck: mechanic if true. But then I never had any issues with the solo fight mission, just the later one having big red always decide to back away from the Balam conga line until they exit the mission border.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

dis astranagant posted:

So the Erginus can only be damaged if a player is in a Balam?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Brick Dust Otis posted:

So the Erginus can only be damaged if a player is in a Balam?

Not true. I burned an Erginus down as a Wing Diver with a Plasma Ram and that Infinite Ammo Clip mod in approximately 5 seconds. They just take an obscene amount of damage and Balam is really the only non-cheaty way to do it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Not true. I burned an Erginus down as a Wing Diver with a Plasma Ram and that Infinite Ammo Clip mod in approximately 5 seconds. They just take an obscene amount of damage and Balam is really the only non-cheaty way to do it.

I did it with turrets but they didn't make blood splashes unless I was in Balam.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

I did it with turrets but they didn't make blood splashes unless I was in Balam.

For what it's worth, I get blood splashes even when he's contractually immortal in earlier stages. So showing visual signs of hits registering has never been much of a gauge for me if he is, in fact, taking damage.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

dis astranagant posted:

Dunno what that's about, but I've had a few rounds where everyone just completely ignored the balam and took out the erginus with normal weapons

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure that in the early levels, even though he is immortal, he isn't invincible. In my experience, you have to do a certain amount of damage to make him leave. So if you do more damage, the level ends sooner.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The first time the EDF sent in a Balam was when the Erginus got wasted. Inferno level weapons are crazy.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

JEBOman posted:

I'm pretty sure that in the early levels, even though he is immortal, he isn't invincible. In my experience, you have to do a certain amount of damage to make him leave. So if you do more damage, the level ends sooner.

Pretty much this. Not only is Balam not required to take down Erginus it's usually not the fastest way to do it. All the classes will have their own insane damage weapon that'll get him down faster.

Ranger - > Fusion Blaster
Air raider - > Bazelart or Cannon (Artillery) for the multi-Erginus brawl
Wing Diver - > Rapier
Fencer - > Vulcan Hammers or Gatling guns

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Double Mk4 Jackhammers will gently caress him up too.

...turns out about half my posting in this thread is about jackhammers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I drat near solo Wing Diver'd Erginus in online Crash Inferno with the Master Rapier, that thing has some absurd DPS.

Kept staggering him, meaning he was constantly getting knocked away before my friend could bring Balam over. Actually brought him down to the ants phase without Balam getting a single punch in, then I changed gears and took out the ants because gently caress if the weapon box drop rate isn't garbage on that level.

Also we did some tests and in that level, Erginus is immune to any damage until the mission control lady says "Balam, initiate operations" or something like that. As in, he doesn't even pop up any purple blood on impact until that happens. Everything the NPCs said about Erginus being immune to guns in previous missions was just fluff and flavor dialogue to justify having a Pacific Rim level.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Master Rapier, that thing has some absurd DPS.

Would you believe that it originally had 3 times the dps?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Would you believe that it originally had 3 times the dps?

Oh my god

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xarbala posted:

to justify having a Pacific Rim level.

This is the single biggest improvement over EDF 2025.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Oh my god

The entire rapier series had 3 times the dps in EDF2 but they cut that down in the portable version. That and the new lockon mechanics for the homing lasers are pretty much the only changes to the Pale Wing/Wing Diver arsenal besides removing some overspecialized poo poo.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 29, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Big O should have the option to exhaust its heat and kill any bugs crawling on it.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Big O should have the option to exhaust its heat and kill any bugs crawling on it.

why are you calling it Big O?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Brick Dust Otis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoIMd9524

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Brick Dust Otis posted:

it's show time

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
The steam servers went down for 4 seconds as we were killing the last ant on mission 12 of the second DLC pack after a few unsuccessful attempts. I feel robbed.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I was doing good and slaying all the dragons and then Monster Party happens and teaches me that when enough dragons are thrown at you at once, you will eventually be rendered an immobile grounded wing diver by a giant pile of divebombing dragon corpses to where even Idunn arcs don't reach out. Which means death.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
EDF learning some new tricks.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
EDF could really use some Lost Planet 2-style combining mecha.

Failing that, a 4-person Balam variant in which each player controls a limb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChickenHeart posted:

Balam X, Ender of Friendships.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

Have you tried the Proteus?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Really Pants posted:

Have you tried the Proteus?

Having everyone sit in a turret just doesn't have the same appeal as "okay now left arm needs to draw the energy sword and right you help hold it so we don't impale ourselves again AND GODDAMMIT STOP KICKING THE AIR LEGS"

I'm picturing QWOP but with super sentai robots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To truly complete the experience it should only be able to use its extremely powerful and useful sword after it has already nearly lost a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Scalding Coffee posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who does the sweet powerflex every time I get in a Balam.