Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I really like playing merchant republics but I find it really irritating that raiders can burn down your trade posts so easily. It makes raider whack-a-mole way more annoying because generally as a MR you're always over your trade limit cap since it will reflect whenever you were at your maximum number of men at court, not your current number, and if you ever miss even one raider party they burn down a trade post that you can't rebuild because you're over your cap, and then some worthless other patrician family builds a trade post there and breaks up your enormous trade zone. Raider whack-a-mole is already a super annoying micromanaging part of the game but at least most of the time it doesn't have long-lasting consequences. Playing as a republic you spend 90% of your time hunting down these groups and it's just really dumb.

e: also new DLC owns, I got the plague but my brilliant physician cured me by cutting off my face. Unfortunately then my liege appointed me to the council and I didn't realize that agreeing would end seclusion for some reason, so half my court and family died of the plague in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This just keeps getting stranger and stranger. My inbred son is now the king of Scotland, and he is gay. I think I have to roll with this just to see what happens next.

Which also yanked him from my court, so I'm not his educator, and the AI basically picked an education focus at random.

E: Since he isn't my court, I can't arrange a betrothal for him either. Unless the AI marries wisely (or I assassinate whatever terrible wife the AI goes with) this may be the end of the line for my game.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 27, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally got some time to play around with it, and I'm loving the prosperity system. I spent 30 years as the prince of Novgorod getting my domain to booming status before I started any major wars, and the payoff was amazing.

I think it also does a good job of portraying how people could expand to the most marginal land during the medieval warm period , and it's a nice contrast to the shitstorm of little ice age events all through EU4.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sunset Invasion triggered in 828. Aztecs now control Aquitane and Marrakech.

Meanwhile, I really hope I hit a bug, because I can only raise a maximum of a hundred levies. Not per holding, in total. It's fairly obvious that the -50% from my low martial skill is stacking with the -30% for manning a mercenary company, but it still seems like 20% of my total levies should be more than 100 when I was fielding around a thousand with my previous ruler. Mind you, I'd still be annoyed at only being able to scare up 200, but it would at least not be a mystified annoyance.

Also somehow my ruler misplaced his ability to manage three holdings, because I dropped from 5 to 2 with no change in stewardship, regency, or marriage.

...Now that I think of it, the one problem may be related to the other. And possibly to a third problem where my council demanded more power and I had to capitulate because I could only raise a hundred men.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dareon posted:

STOP THE loving PRESSES.

I DROVE A MAN MAD WITH POETRY.

Makes a change from blinding them with science, I suppose.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

but it still seems like 20% of my total levies should be more than 100 when I was fielding around a thousand with my previous ruler

Did your previous ruler have good martial? I believe high martial gives you a bonus to levy size.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Demon_Corsair posted:

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger. My inbred son is now the king of Scotland, and he is gay. I think I have to roll with this just to see what happens next.

Which also yanked him from my court, so I'm not his educator, and the AI basically picked an education focus at random.

E: Since he isn't my court, I can't arrange a betrothal for him either. Unless the AI marries wisely (or I assassinate whatever terrible wife the AI goes with) this may be the end of the line for my game.

Having a gay ruler is secretly the most powerful strategy, look for gay vassals under you or powerful independent rulers and you can seduce them and have a lifelong ally. You can also use the hunting focus for a chance to adopt a son, or switch to tanistry or seniority to make sure dying without an heir doesn't end your game.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 27, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haven't had time to play with the graphics options yet (had to leave home) but I started a new game and I'm getting a weird graphic artifact with the new patch. Like a strong anti aliasing is switching itself on and off every couple seconds. Text and icons get a little fuzzy and then snap back. Anyone else getting this?

Edit: yeah, turning multisample completely off fixed it (Nope. Just stopped the flicerking the blur is constant now)

Edit: But fonts, particularly outliner font is fuzzy and weird. :(

EDIT EDIT: Having the save load options dialogue causes the text to crisp back up and look normal, but the moment I got back to the game it gets all fuzzy again

With AA on or off it looks like the left one. With AA off it always looks that way, with AA on the screen flickers and opening the menu causes it to look like the normal, right one. I've got a GTX 970. I guess I should probably post this on the Paradox tech support forums

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 27, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why can't I execute traitors without the tyranny penalty?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I bought Reaper's Due today and a few portraits packs and suddenly the game music is refusing to play. Reinstalling the game didn't help. Anyone have any ideas how I can unfuck this? The music volume is at 100% and when I click the play next song button nothing happens. Wierdly the game music is playing fine during the startup of the game, just not ingame.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

One of the Paradox guys said turning off contextual music in the options will fix it.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

axeil posted:

Uh, that sounds pretty accurate. Syphilis was rampant back in the day.

Except there is some debate as to whether or not Syphilis existed in Europe before the discovery of the new world.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Apparently it's quicker than it was before Rajas of Indialink

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't care if syphilis was actually a thing pre-New World. This is all funny as hell and I don't want it to end.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Except there is some debate as to whether or not Syphilis existed in Europe before the discovery of the new world.

I'm gonna say this without any quotes or backup but syphillis is a "new world" disease.

Basically after 1500 a mysterious disease spread around continental Europe. It was nicknamed it after the neighbouring country, eg France called it "the Spanish disease", Italy called it "the French disease" and so on. There are no records of it during the period the game takes place. That said, I'm glad it's in the game, same as I'm glad Satan's possessed princes are in the game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I see with the DLC patch you can toggle some features on or off, do you have to buy the DLC for that or is it included for everyone?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Weavered posted:

I'm gonna say this without any quotes or backup but syphillis is a "new world" disease.

Basically after 1500 a mysterious disease spread around continental Europe. It was nicknamed it after the neighbouring country, eg France called it "the Spanish disease", Italy called it "the French disease" and so on. There are no records of it during the period the game takes place. That said, I'm glad it's in the game, same as I'm glad Satan's possessed princes are in the game.

Blame the Aztecs. Clearly they brought it with them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

I see with the DLC patch you can toggle some features on or off, do you have to buy the DLC for that or is it included for everyone?

It comes with the free patch.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah syphilis was specifically in the game already as a disease that arrives with the Aztecs in sunset invasion, bit weird they suddenly have it show up earlier now. It's not really the same as things like devil children IMO, there are other diseases they could use instead. Just seems like an oversight.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Weavered posted:

I agree, but there is a bit of scholarly debate about it. Apparently they've found some bones predating 1492 have evidence of what could be syphilis; however, since soft tissue rarely survives that long it's very difficult to know for sure.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baron Porkface posted:

Why can't I execute traitors without the tyranny penalty?

Dunno but if you're talking about someone whose revolt you just crushed you get to revoke one of their titles (make it their highest one, duh) for free, which is even better.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The Abbasids are of course bigger than I've ever seen them in my most successful Armenian game ever

Fitna Fracture needs to update asap

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

gfanikf posted:

When I was doing this I found that everyone in my court was converting and not just to heretical Judaism. How do you defend against that...especially when your court rabbis are converting?

I assume that's because there's a ruler in your realm who is a Zealous Miaphysite/Muslim and has worked out you are not of the right faith and is dropping their religious councillor on you. Sometimes it's actually your liege doing it. I usually sent my Chancellor off with a bribe to build up really good relations with the liege, and then make sure I Spied On anyone who was Zealous to get them kidnapped/murdered (I prevented a number of Zealous heirs taking over through this method as well). Other than that, you just need to make sure you pull back your Rabbi to converting your home provinces and just hope for the best. For my run at the end of seven centuries basically only the Duchy of Semien, Jerusalem and a couple of other scattered counties were Jewish, so you're never really going to get your whole Empire or Kingdom converted with this method unless you get strong enough to hold off all the Muslim nations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Abbasids have broken to pieces in almost all my games since Conclave.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp, finally got a guy with the immortal trait. Went on to found a Merchant Republic and used all that campaign money to upgrade stuff til I could field a huge retinue to start conquering stuff.

Then he went crazy and apparently the devil up and started talking to the guy? Ended up regrowing a leg.

Funny thing is, my guy's been reigning for about a hundred years at this point and everybody almost everyone still loves him despite that with 'Speaking in Tongues' and other things he has a diplomacy of 2 now..

Fake Edit: And now the devil made him gay. I never thought I'd type that sentence out, but there it is.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

BenRGamer posted:

Welp, finally got a guy with the immortal trait. Went on to found a Merchant Republic and used all that campaign money to upgrade stuff til I could field a huge retinue to start conquering stuff.

Then he went crazy and apparently the devil up and started talking to the guy? Ended up regrowing a leg.

Funny thing is, my guy's been reigning for about a hundred years at this point and everybody almost everyone still loves him despite that with 'Speaking in Tongues' and other things he has a diplomacy of 2 now..

Fake Edit: And now the devil made him gay. I never thought I'd type that sentence out, but there it is.

How do you become immortal? Is it the result of a mystical remedy or something?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How do you become immortal? Is it the result of a mystical remedy or something?

It's a rare event chain specifically about searching for a source of eternal life. Immortality is not guaranteed, though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
It's a rare event chain in Reaper's Due. I kinda cheated to start it off this time, but I got through it without needing to save scum. MTTH is somewhere around 300 years, with various factors making a bit more likely you'll get it, but still very rare.

There's numerous fail points along the way, even one near the beginning that won't kick in til the very end. So it's... really, really difficult to get.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just took a look at the code for it, you can tell pretty early on if you have a fraud that has the 1000x chance of failure on the last step. A legit mystic advisor will get a +15 to the relevant stat, while the fraud will only have a +6. If your mystic has a crazy high base stat, you've got a legit one and you should always pay the 4 years worth of income for the best chance at immortal. If your mystic doesn't have a really high base stat, you might as well do the free versions, because you're going to lose at the end anyway.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah they must've changed the conversion mechanic or something because holy poo poo there is an absolute avalanche of my miaphysite courtiers turning orthodox after I joined the Byzantines. It's all my 19 learning ruler can do to keep his drat ANTIOCHIAN PATRIARCH from converting!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Games > Crusader Kings II: The Devil Made Me Gay

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The Devil came down to Kartli he was looking for a soul to queer

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cannibals can gain immortal by eating a previously immortal character. They can also gain pretty much every trait there is by eating people. You'll gain a -60 to general opinion (I feel like this should be a lot higher), but you have a 10% chance every time you eat someone of gaining their traits (100% chance of getting immortal if they have it).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Games > Crusader Kings II: The Devil Made Me Gay

Why is anyone pretending there's an option other than Games > Crusader Kings II: Black Death Matters

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Devil Made Me Gay is a little too close ot the previous thread's "I desperately want to be cucked by Satan". :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Cannibals can gain immortal by eating a previously immortal character. They can also gain pretty much every trait there is by eating people. You'll gain a -60 to general opinion (I feel like this should be a lot higher), but you have a 10% chance every time you eat someone of gaining their traits (100% chance of getting immortal if they have it).

My immersion :cry: :cry:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm still in for Kaza42's suggestion Games > Crusader Kings 2: A Plague on Both Your Houses

Also, I'm pretty sure I got my event working. I realised I could look at the Norse culture splitting events and was reminded that you could, in fact, have multiple NOT settings. Now I just need to get Reaper's Due and the content pack and I'll be ready to drop another hundred hours into the game!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So did this DLC come with the standard amount of game breaking bugs that will need to be patched out? Because I want to get back into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

I really like playing merchant republics but I find it really irritating that raiders can burn down your trade posts so easily. It makes raider whack-a-mole way more annoying because generally as a MR you're always over your trade limit cap since it will reflect whenever you were at your maximum number of men at court, not your current number, and if you ever miss even one raider party they burn down a trade post that you can't rebuild because you're over your cap, and then some worthless other patrician family builds a trade post there and breaks up your enormous trade zone. Raider whack-a-mole is already a super annoying micromanaging part of the game but at least most of the time it doesn't have long-lasting consequences. Playing as a republic you spend 90% of your time hunting down these groups and it's just really dumb.

e: also new DLC owns, I got the plague but my brilliant physician cured me by cutting off my face. Unfortunately then my liege appointed me to the council and I didn't realize that agreeing would end seclusion for some reason, so half my court and family died of the plague in the end.

I agree, but with retinues and one continuous trade zone, it's usually not too hard to keep Vikings from burning your poo poo down.

• Locked thread