Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SHY isnt happy Jan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NT news is this country's greatest paper.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

If I lived in the NT and were in a band, this would be our next album cover.

Without a doubt.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lady on the ABC saying that the libs are saying off the record that they won't win a single seat lol.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Lady on the ABC saying that the libs are saying off the record that they won't win a single seat lol.

That may be correct.

They are leading just in Katherine. Everywhere else looks like poo.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 27, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I know a very awful lady from Katherine. This checks out.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Eh maybe not even that seat.

Edit: Looks like they may retain the newly drawn up Spillett. Currently only a 15.6% swing to the ALP. The CLP has more than 50% of FP votes so far.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lol even Adam Giles is losing his seat. His concession speech will be even more bitter than Turnball's dummy spit.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Looks like the CLP will hold Daly as well with more than 50% of the FPV.

Seems the ALP did a heap of spade work in Wadeye, and it's done them bugger all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CLP have a swing of nearly 20% against them, and interestingly the swing to minor/independents is almost 10%, so I'd say the ALP should be cautiously chortling and try not to gently caress it up. Nigel Scullion is trying to make it look like people are voting for independent conservatives which is pretty funny.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

...are the independents conservatives/one nation types?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm the two CLP seats.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

ABC, those are definitely not equally scaled.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

that's 2

two

The number after 1

The number before 3

seats

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm not sure, but I think Adam Giles might be one of them. I think there could be a split on.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No he isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kMsBMh6Ng

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Could independents form a loose coalition and claim opposition status?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I wonder how the pairing arrangement's will work out for the CLP.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The length of those bars don't add up. Which is a shame because it would look way funnier.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

I wonder how the pairing arrangement's will work out for the CLP.

very carefully

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One group had a small bag of coke stored in the back of their room’s TV. It was then racked up using, appropriately, a Medicare card to split the white powder and then hoovered down by young women, clutching at their nostrils.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/what-a-time-to-be-malcolm?utm_term=.uajYkKJy5#.guvAWX7e6

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

tithin posted:

One day when I'm no longer under an NDA and social media policy, I can talk about the figures I've seen for 7/11 franchisees. Suffice it to say, their labour costs are extremely interesting

From memory the 4 corners report got a copy of a franchise agreement yeah?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ab8BOu4LE

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Naziwatch: My internet is poo poo edition

Ultranationalists are rallying in Melton VIC today. Bold the whole thing.

quote:

It all began in October last year, when the people of Melton finally became aware of the Mosque that had been approved for Harkness Rd.
We then found out that the Al Iman Islamic School had secured the lease on Melton's Vic Uni campus. The school opened at the start of this year, and is moving towards holding classes from Kindergarten right through to secondary, the principal being none other than Zulfiquar Ali, the former principal at the Islamic College of South Australia, the school that came under fire after parents became concerned about the possibility of the radicalisation of students.
Finally, if we weren't already concerned enough about the obvious plans of the followers of Islam to make Melton their next Islamic enclave, in May we became aware of "Iqra Village", Melton's very own Islamic housing estate, with over seventy lots, available to Muslims via Sharia finance, as quoted in the Herald Sun, "Homebuyers originally bought the subdivided lots under sharia law, which prohibits borrowing money where interest is payable, so the venture was financed by several investors", a plan for a Mosque in the center of the project, only one way in and one way out of the future enclave that's set out almost like a secure bunker, and said entry is by a street convieniently named Ayesha Ave.
We have since seen some involved in this project backing away from the original advertising by the developer, in an attempt to claim it is not an estate for Muslims, but with a street named Ayesha Ave, a reference to Mohammad's child bride, it's location being in Melton Sth, only a few hundred meters down the road from the Islamic School, with the local Melton South butcher being bought and now trading as a halal grocery store, the lots subdivided and sold off under "sharia finance", and the fact that the estate is named "Iqra Village", " Iqra", a word in the Quran that means - "read" or "recite", for the prophet (Mohammad) of the followers of Islam directly, it is a command to "preach and to speak the message". All this makes it pretty obvious that is most definately and Islamic housing estate.
In this short few months we have seen the visible presence of Islam increase in the community, we all know that only a year or so ago it was unthinkable that you would see a niqab or burka covered woman in Melton, a site that is now all too common.
We see what is being done in the name of this barbaric ideology right around the world.
We've just witnessed another attack in France, with families including children mowed down by a truck, slaughtered just as the founder of Islam, their prophet slaughtered non Muslims all those years ago.
There is another Islamic attack somewhere in the world almost every day, and you know what the places where these attacks are taking place have in common, they all have large Islamic populations, where this ideology has the biggest presence is where these terror attacks in the name of Allah occur.
We will not let the Islamic ideology spread through Melton, we must stop it from spreading throughout Australia!
This is why on Sunday the 28th of August, the True Blue Crew calls upon the people of Melton, the people of Victoria, and patriots from all over Australia to make your way to Melton, and join us as we tell the followers of Islam that their ideology is not welcome in Melton, or Australia.
This is a town that will do whatever is required to prevent the Islamic ideology from taking hold.
Make sure you all join us as we
RALLY AGAINST THE RISE OF ISLAM IN MELTON!!!!

Aussie Pride
TBC 110%

It does appear that the TBC or whatever have taken over making the facebook events for teh UPF, although I think this is a rebranding thing (maybe the UPF brand is too closely associated with nazis?)I guess this is just them trying to recreate some of their initial success, although really, 180 people isn't all that fantastic. I haven't been paying attention so I've got no idea if any opposition will turn up, although the VicPol have been getting progressively heavier-handed (c.f. indiscriminately foaming photographers). Although there's been a bit of publicity about this even in the ultra circles, I wouldn't expect too much from this. Here's a gem from the event comments though

Jimbob Freeman posted:

Patriots,we have a bit of a wait until the next alection.The goal by the final vote count is to have Pauline as the next PM.As impossible as this may sound now,the actions of the invaders world wide are making the average person wake up at an accelerated rate.They are beginning to panic,and rightly so,they are able to envision a world of utter brutality under the Islamic yoke.Our country is now under the rulership of treasonous hypocrites .If my hope is not fully realised,we must at least have close to a dozen One Nation members in parliament by final count.In the meantime,PH and her team must prevent the ruiling beasts from doing any more severe damage to Australia.See you at Melton.

Pauline Hanson: why do we even have to do this

Now this event has been pushed a fair bit over the last few days. The NUS is hosting a demonstration against Pauline Hanson on the 10th of Sept. Although it's the NUS label, the people I know in this are involved with/formely involved with SAlt, so it's going to be vocal and probably not as large. However, why this rates a mention is because the ultranationalists are organising/pushing for a counter rally. I guess they like what they see when we turn up early at an event and are trying to do the same thing.

Now this is when it gets interesting: two facebook events have surfaced. The first one I was made aware of was by Restore Australia, which is Mike Holt's crew, and the second being the original Reclaim Australia page, which notably hosted the November 22nd Rally in Brisbane last year. We can only speculate why there's two different facebook events, seeing as both organisations (Restore Australia and Reclaim Australia) tap into the same demographic, but the same people are attending both FB events (maybe to inflate numbers?), so it's about 50 people so far.

This could end up being a bit heated, as the people going to the NUS event are younger and passionate (I'll probably be there), and the RA crowd were pretty angry last year.

A Digression: Who Is Mike Holt?
Mike Holt is a far-right wing cowboy who likes wearing bikie vests and is currently in charge of Restore Australia, a We the People group who want citizen referendums. Mike Holt has approximately zero self-awareness, so you can actually read his bio on his political party website. I'm not being a creepo weirdguy here, it's all extremely accessible. Here's some choice quotes.

quote:

During his travels he met and married a Thai woman. They settled in Bangkok, Thailand in 1978 where he set up an English teaching school. He sold the school ten years later after the marriage broke down due to very personal reasons.

Soon after that he set up an IT company and a couple of years later he got into the real estate business as well. In 1998 Mike met and married his current Thai wife. In 2008 he sold the company and returned home to Australia in 2009, expecting to retire and enjoy the fruits of his many years in business.

Why would you put this out here?? Who actually cares? Is this to prove you aren't racist or something? Why say current Thai wife??

quote:

During his spare time he enjoys writing short stories and he has even written a novel. Mike also writes and records his own music, and he loves painting and fishing.Soon after returning home, Mike wrote a novel about the experiences of a World War Two veteran who was captured by the Japanese in Singapore, 1942. The Aussie Digger was subsequently sent to work on the Burma Railway in Thailand, and then shipped to Kyushu where he worked in the Mitsui Coal Mines. He says the Nagasaki atomic bomb saved the lives of thousands of POW’s, as well as averting a bloodbath if the Allies had been forced to invade Japan. Mike’s first published book, POW 921 is available online.

In his spare time, Mike Holt writes fanfiction about a prisoner of war and his love of war crimes. Brilliant.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/NeelimaChoahan/status/769693915624595456

e: https://twitter.com/Kimmaree13/status/769678718939705345

newsflash to Kim Vuga. lmao

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 28, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

A Digression: Who Is Mike Holt?
Mike Holt is a far-right wing cowboy who likes wearing bikie vests
Wearing colours without being a member is asking for trouble...please tell us he's doing that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you have insurance with Youiget out now if you wern't already paying them and not knowing it

quote:

Five whistleblowers say the company culture encouraged sales staff to defraud potential customers on a large scale by billing them for policies they never signed up for.

The whistleblowers also say customers are having claims rejected due to a cult-like corporate culture that drives staff to falsify insurance documents to make sales. Youi's customers are left paying for policies that don't actually cover them.

"I started in sales, and I witnessed managers changing data, changing the colour of cars, changing insurance history," says one whistleblower.

"The whole thing makes me sick. It's all a big cover-up."

I can confirm the salesman are very pushy, which put us right off them.

quote:

​Youi's sales staff are pushed to get credit card details in every phone call, the whistleblowers say.

Unlike other insurers you cannot get an insurance quote from Youi online – it must be through a phone interview. This is a deliberate tactic to allow Youi's calls centre to pressure customers, whistleblowers say.

On the phone, customers are often told they can't be provided with a quote until credit card numbers are handed over.

Once the credit card details are secured, some of Youi's sales representatives put them through as a sale, no matter what the customer asked for.

And how did they end up here?

quote:

The cult of Youi

Why are Youi's sales staff engaged in such unethical behaviour? Every whistleblower pointed to the same culprit: the sales team's commission system.

Youi tells its sales staff they can earn huge commissions. But commissions are not reliant on the number of sales; rather, staff get bonuses based on how many more sales they make than their workmates.

A computer determines how many inbound customers are routed to each sales team member. The computer ensures people who sell more policies get more calls, and thus commissions.

Sales representatives are literally competing against each other for commissions from a central pool. One person's success is another person's failure. This breeds both a toxic, high-stress environment – and encourages unethical sales tactics.

So that's the end result of designing a system like that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Wearing colours without being a member is asking for trouble...please tell us he's doing that.

nah it's full of his patriotic poo poo, but it's in the style of colours.

also

https://twitter.com/tajournalist/status/769706680305131520

quite the cracking rally they have. I wonder what that tattoo means

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I once checked the Youi online calculator to see if I would save money, as their ads always crap on about. Worked out I would've been spending another $100 a year if I moved to them. Idiots.

Holy poo poo the election result in NT. That's a savaging and then some. When's the ACT election being held? I heard a bit about it when I was in Canberra, but didn't hear a date.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo the election result in NT. That's a savaging and then some. When's the ACT election being held? I heard a bit about it when I was in Canberra, but didn't hear a date.

15th of October. It'll be closer than the NT result since the Liberals seem determined to tap into a "infrastructure=bad" vibe, but I don't think they'll form government.

So Labor seem likely to oppose the plebiscite - that's a good thing, yeah? I can't see a few months of taxpayer-funded vitriol before the community passes judgement on the legitimacy of your relationship as being something desirable, but then being hetero cisgendered scum I can already get married to the person I love without waiting got Parliament to catch up with society.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Gorbash posted:

15th of October. It'll be closer than the NT result since the Liberals seem determined to tap into a "infrastructure=bad" vibe, but I don't think they'll form government.

So Labor seem likely to oppose the plebiscite - that's a good thing, yeah? I can't see a few months of taxpayer-funded vitriol before the community passes judgement on the legitimacy of your relationship as being something desirable, but then being hetero cisgendered scum I can already get married to the person I love without waiting got Parliament to catch up with society.

Most cite the discourse in Ireland (which needed a referendum to do it unlike Australia) as a reason against the plebiscite. It basically legitimises at the very least ignorant rhetoric, and at worst hateful rhetoric on what should in this day and age be a human rights issue.

That said, the House of Reps hasn't exactly lent themselves to being champions of human rights either.

But then after that it all comes back to why a plebiscite and not a ministerial vote, which really just seems like a cynical way to placate both sides of the issue to keep Turnbull in his job. Which is a really lovely reason to call a plebiscite.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gorbash posted:

So Labor seem likely to oppose the plebiscite - that's a good thing, yeah?

Opinions vary, but I'd much rather not have the months of taxpayer funded hate and the scare of potentially it going the wrong way and it being another decade or more before I can marry my gf.

It's kinda embarrassing for oz that we can do in the US where I'm living for the next year or two, and not back home.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

The result is fun for a moment, then you realize it's the mirror image of what happened to the ALP previously and then you further realize that since NT is effectively a client state with less power than Tasmania, and they have as much sense as a National Party policy platform, this kind of result is inevitable as the electorate flip flops between complete idiots.

The one saving grace is that at least indigenous representation is increasing and that's vital if we are to stop more Don Dales. Hopefully the new government realizes that services and infrastructure spending serves the Territory better than selling off ports and building jails in the middle of nowhere to impress the federal parties but who knows.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The plebiscite's almost certainly not gonna happen, the thing I wonder now is if Labor can push through a vote for same sex marriage in the parliament. As far as I can tell everyone but Katter and the LNP will vote in favour, which means 2 coalition reps would need to cross the floor. I know they're talking tough about a unified party and how a plebiscite is the only way to get gay marriage, but I wonder if when push comes to shove the pro-gay marriage LNP members will decide to vote with the right side of history.

Of course that's if a bill manages to reach the floor, I don't know much about parliamentary procedure but I assume there's procedural measures the coalition could use to prevent holding a vote?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Labor would do well to do everything they can to push it to a vote, as it'll confirm the plebiscite as the farce it is if the Liberals vote it down, or we'll have same sex marriage.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/patawright/status/769711628799479808

quite the turnout, also guess they have to hide their faces or something?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

The plebiscite's almost certainly not gonna happen, the thing I wonder now is if Labor can push through a vote for same sex marriage in the parliament. As far as I can tell everyone but Katter and the LNP will vote in favour, which means 2 coalition reps would need to cross the floor. I know they're talking tough about a unified party and how a plebiscite is the only way to get gay marriage, but I wonder if when push comes to shove the pro-gay marriage LNP members will decide to vote with the right side of history.

Of course that's if a bill manages to reach the floor, I don't know much about parliamentary procedure but I assume there's procedural measures the coalition could use to prevent holding a vote?

That would be an excellent test of the Reps. A working majority makes procedural blocks doable (after all, that's how the Senate gets around much idiotic legislation). So of course the ALP won't do it. There have been attempts to push through private member bills this way, but they've been largely symbolic for that reason. Now, however, it could be a different story. But again, it's the ALP. They think it's much better to get into government first and get all the credit, whereupon of course they won't do it because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Not to mention certain members have also stated they'd ignore the result of a plebiscite if it went against their world view anyway.

It's not like it's a debate that needs to take place, it's Australia playing catch up with the rest of the developed world.

• Locked thread