Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Thanks for the tips. As far as mama cat I'm afraid she died :(. I found this little kitten behind a gas station. The momma cat had got hit by a car.

I've got her in a box with some blankets and a hearing pad on one side set to low. We keep it beside out bed cause this little kitten is loud! She easily wake my girlfriend or myself up to feed her, so she's eating about every two hours.

And yeah so far getting her to poop is the hardest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

There are youtube videos on how to get a kitten to poop, I recommend watching a few and then trying.

Pics of baby please.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If there's a shelter or something nearby that runs a foster program taking care of litters it might be best if they can place her with a nursing mother for a month or two.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pooping a kitten is an art, not a science. It can be really tricky and no two kitties are the same. It just comes down to patience, unfortunately, but you will magically get better at it the more you do it.

As others have said, kittens, especially this young when separated from their mothers are up against some really nasty odds.If they aren't around littermates, it gets even dicier. One of the more overlooked elements of kittens thriving is in keeping them stimulated. They need attention and lots of it. Cuddles, and things moving around in front of their eyes is really important. Keep doing the best you can, we believe in you! And for the love of all that is holy, post a drat picture if you can.

Here, I'll trade:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Look at dem butterbeans

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pic not working. :(

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

MikeJF posted:

If there's a shelter or something nearby that runs a foster program taking care of litters it might be best if they can place her with a nursing mother for a month or two.

Once upon a time, sometime in the 50s/60s, my dad's family found a newborn kitten. As was the case in those days, everybody knew someone that had a cat with kittens. My grandma knew someone with cat that just had kittens, they took the kitten over there, made sure the mom accepted her and everything was set. Of course, this was under the condition that they had to take the kitten back when she was grown enough but also with the condition that they take one of the other kittens too. That cat grew up and lived for 20 years. Everybody lived happily ever after, The End.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I don't have any firsthand experience, but I've heard that nursing mother cats will generally accept and care for kittens other than their litter, presumably because of cast social organization in the wild being big ol' cat piles. Trying to find a nursing foster mom seems like a good idea.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I don't have any firsthand experience, but I've heard that nursing mother cats will generally accept and care for kittens other than their litter, presumably because of cast social organization in the wild being big ol' cat piles. Trying to find a nursing foster mom seems like a good idea.

If you catch them at the right time, mother cats still accept just about anything.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

Ok guys and gals pictures at the end of the post as requested!

Anyway a little more detail now that I'm about to run out the door for work.

I found her Thursday morning after I stopped by the gas station on my way home from dropping the kid off at school. I heard a kitten screaming so I walked around back and saw her crawling around on the pavement with no other kittens or mama cat is sight. I didn't want to mess with her so I went inside and asked the dude working about it. He told me that the mama cat had gotten run over the night before and that there were a few more kittens and I was welcome to them if I wanted to try and save them. I went back out to look for the other kittens but never did find or hear them :(. Not really sure what happened to them. I'm assuming that wherever they were nested at was fairly well hidden and this little kitten just crawled away. I went back again later in the day to try and find them again but still no sign of the others.

I took the one I could find to a vet right near my house and he looked her over and said she appeared to be ok and gave me a can of powdered KMR and bottle along with a few pointers. I got her home and made her a box out of some blankets and a heating pad on one side set to low. About this time my girlfriend woke up pissed off that I had brought a screaming kitten home, but as soon as she started bottle feeding it she feel in love with her and named her Farrah :3:.

She went back to the vet yesterday cause we couldn't get her to poop. The vet took her back and worked with her for a minute and got it though. He said that she was a little constipated but should poop easier now. So far we haven't got her to poop when trying after a feeding but she has pooped a little in her box twice, so at least shes not backed up now.

Also today during a feeding we heard he making a little noise. I put her up to my ear and she was purring :3::3::3:. I didn't know kittens this small purred, but it was adorable.

So far her schedule is sleep for about two hours, wake up screaming, eat, get wiped down with a baby wipe and toileted and back to sleep. Thanks for all the support everyone, we're going to do our best. She is only about five days old now (going by the vets estimation) and we're completely in love with her .

Sorry about the poor quality pictures. I'm a terrible photographer and she wouldn't stay still at all.

and a a bonus picture of our adult kitty Jules

Edit: and as far a foster mom goes, thats a good idea. I'm gonna try calling a few places and see if I have any luck.

katka fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 27, 2016

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
That's a good kitty.

Farrah will make it.

It is officially the will of the foster thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are doing real good. :3: do the thing.

my heart is with you.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

We grew up with feral cats around the house. It was a rural bit in a big city so thy had a acre to hunt and stuff. We couldn't catch the adults (didn't know how/didn't have a lot of money at the time) so we tried to get as many kittens as we could when we could. Some of the mothers felt comfortable enough to bring their brood into the house (my favourite one left them under my bed, came back for a week, then abandoned them with me. Thanks, KitKat.) I sold the kittens once they were old enough and I know for sure one of them lived at least to 16 so I was pretty pleased.

For four days I'd been hearing mewing from the garage which was beside my room. One of our cats had gone missing (we had coyotes around) and they wouldn't shut up. So we finally went looking and when we opened the door two little heads popped up out of a box and screamed at us. They were wee - eyes open but still milk dependant, and mom wasn't coming back. They were the only ones we ever kept. :3:

I still have one of them - her brother sadly died last year we think from liver problems he had as a kitten. She just turned 15 on the 15th so we had a little party. She still screams at me when I go back home to my parents. :3:

Good luck with your little Farrah. What an absolute cute little potato!

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 27, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Oh no, she's beautiful :unsmith: and you're already on the right track with feeding and toileting.

Please keep us updated. I'm cheering for her as hard as I can.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
By the way katka, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. My wife and I are happy to help. Posting in the thread is good too.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
You're doing so good, katka. My Henry and Tabitha started out as jelly beans just days old with no momma. My mom fed them every 2 hours, bathed them, pooped them, kept them warm and cuddled almost all time.

Now I have two 7 year old Stage 5 clingers. Bottle babies bond like rubber cement.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Pic not working. :(

Please fix, Mr. Butterbutler. :f5:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I don't know what's wrong.... I can see it just fine and it seems like some others can, I'll try reposting it here:

Does this work?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I don't know what's wrong.... I can see it just fine and it seems like some others can, I'll try reposting it here:

Does this work?

Butterbeans! Yeah, that did it for me

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chili posted:

Does this work?

Butters is looking good

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Waking up screeching is a very good sign, good luck to you and I hope Farrah grows up big and strong.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

Does this work?
fuzzy belly fuzzy belly fuzzy belly

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chili posted:

Does this work?

Wanna hug butters and never let go.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Chili posted:

Does this work?

what would happen if you just put your face right up in there?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Enlightenment would be achieved upon becoming one with the butter-tum.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Radio! posted:

Oh man, I'm not the only one with that suicidal urge every time I see a cat fluffytummy? I was lucky enough to have cats who didn't maul my head for that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I want a buttercat to wear as a butterhat. Omigoosh the floof.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Radio! posted:

He would purr.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found this in PYF, seems applicable.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
My little kitty gang likes to lay on my neck:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ZoeDomingo posted:

My little kitty gang likes to lay on my neck:

Granted mine aren't fosters (but I got one from a super shady pet store so I technically rescued her) but at night, one sleeps on my head, one cuddles up in my arms, and the other, after playing the elusive foot under blanket game sleeps between my legs. It's the best thing ever and makes me so happy :3:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Chili posted:

Does this work?

It does indeed! Would bury my nose in dat belleh :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thin Privilege posted:

Granted mine aren't fosters (but I got one from a super shady pet store so I technically rescued her) but at night, one sleeps on my head, one cuddles up in my arms, and the other, after playing the elusive foot under blanket game sleeps between my legs. It's the best thing ever and makes me so happy :3:

not gonna lie, sometimes :ssh: i dont mind the 3am foot game

katka
Apr 18, 2008

Chili posted:

Does this work?

Daww that's a fuzzy looking kitty :3:.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Little Farrah is happy sleeping on her box right now. She just got finished with her biggest feeding yet. And I know it's kinda gross, bit she's pooping much easier now. I'm glad about that.

She is very strong for her size trying to crawl out of our hands when it's feeding time! It so adorable watching her crawl around and listening to her little kitten purr. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on how she is doing. So far so good though!

And I figured I should just throw out since this is the foster thread, that our other kitty Jules was a rescue too. We got him from fosterpaws from PetSmart about a year and a half ago. He's been the best cat. We tried to keep him indoors at first but he would sit at the door and meow till we let him out. He spends most of his time on our porch chilling with his buddy (a little stray six or so month old kitten we've taken to feeding as well). He comes inside when it gets to hot or cold out though.

He is super chill. All he wants to do in just curl up and get some head rubs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly you need to name the stray buddy Verne.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

katka posted:

Daww that's a fuzzy looking kitty :3:.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Little Farrah is happy sleeping on her box right now. She just got finished with her biggest feeding yet. And I know it's kinda gross, bit she's pooping much easier now. I'm glad about that.

She is very strong for her size trying to crawl out of our hands when it's feeding time! It so adorable watching her crawl around and listening to her little kitten purr. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on how she is doing. So far so good though!

And I figured I should just throw out since this is the foster thread, that our other kitty Jules was a rescue too. We got him from fosterpaws from PetSmart about a year and a half ago. He's been the best cat. We tried to keep him indoors at first but he would sit at the door and meow till we let him out. He spends most of his time on our porch chilling with his buddy (a little stray six or so month old kitten we've taken to feeding as well). He comes inside when it gets to hot or cold out though.

He is super chill. All he wants to do in just curl up and get some head rubs.

This is the foster thread. Your poop stories are not gross. This thread is powered on poop stories. Sounds like you're both totally nailing infant kitty care which is a minefield of potential challenge and sorrow. The large appetite is your best benchmark that kitty is healthy and that you're doing everything right.

Also, I was tired before, and forgot to post more advice and things. You probably are already doing most of this, but for future reference and for anyone else who has an itty bitty kitty.

1.) Never more than a foot off the ground. This includes beds. They wiggle and their claws are sharp. You'll probably drop kitty, and that can be bad bad bad.
2.) They can't regulate their body temp, so keep them warm. I know you're already doing this.
3.) Try to poop them right after their biggest meal, if possible stick to doing it once a day. It can be stressful so one good poopin' a day is the ideal.
4. Weigh the kitty regularly. Look for at least 1/4 pound of gain a week. The gold standard you want to push for is two pounds in two months. That can be a real challenge without a mom to nurse, but it's doable. A food scale can help here.
5.) Post more pictures.

Alteisen posted:

Clearly you need to name the stray buddy Verne.

Vincent would also be acceptable.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Also, I'm shooting to update the OP into something a little more robust/relevant/purposeful now that this thread is accommodating spontaneous rescuers as well.

If you'd like to be added to the OP as foster/rescue parent, let me know. I already got you katka.

Oh and if there are any other suggestions for the op, go ahead and suggest away. This thread typifies a team effort.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Also, I'm shooting to update the OP into something a little more robust/relevant/purposeful now that this thread is accommodating spontaneous rescuers as well.

If you'd like to be added to the OP as foster/rescue parent, let me know. I already got you katka.

Oh and if there are any other suggestions for the op, go ahead and suggest away. This thread typifies a team effort.

you should put your last "itteh bitteh kitteh" facts in the op especially #5

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Geki update:

Tuckered.

She remains awful sneezy despite multiple treatments for kitty respiratory problems. She goes back to the vet next week for her rabies vaccination, and we'll see what else can be done for her sneezums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
(Please let me know if I should post my questions in a different thread.)

Can anyone give me advice on the timeline for letting my little gang hang out outside of their room during the day? I know they don't like it when I close them up in there in the morning, even though they have toys and food and water and litter boxes available.

But I'm still trying to cat proof my living room and kitchen (which are open to each other) so I don't have to worry about them getting hurt while I'm at work.

Alternatively, any suggestions or websites that will help me figure out what else needs to be done to make these rooms safe for kitten adventures?

Thanks, guys!