Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He's gorgeous. They're so goddamn goofy the way they sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

dog days are over posted:

He's gorgeous. They're so goddamn goofy the way they sleep.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Allegedly.

Add some chopped mushrooms and a ripe tomato to the casualty list. At least the tomato required the cat's help to knock off the table.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One giant field.
One little whippet.
One tiny mudpuddle.

Could the whippet find it?

Yeah she could, like instantly. Damnit.

Then a beagle came over to play and Willow took great delight in being a terrible influence, and immediately showed the beagle the mudpuddle. Sorry beagle owner :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ooof. At least grooming for her mostly means just wiping clean with a damp cloth. There's a Great Pyr that goes to our dog park who does the same thing; her owner says she takes two days to dry after the resulting bath.

Rory doesn't really roll in mud, but she does make a b-line to walk through any puddle after a heavy rain.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She's super easy to bathe, I just plonk her into the bath and run the shower over her and she stands completely still and looks sad. I don't think she enjoys the shower at all but she very patiently tolerates it. She enjoys the towel drying and rolling around on rugs afterwards though :)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:kimchi:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Update: On Wednesday, Tatianna went to day care to hang out. Usually she just gets to lay in the front office and chill with the staff. We had had a vet appointment that morning to discuss increasing her meds because she seemed to be in a bit more pain. She was fine that day, running around, got a bath. Sometime around 5, our friend who works at the day care tried to help her up to go to the bathroom. She seemed to stumble and then wouldn't try to get up anymore. Husband picked her up about 45 minutes later and she was just chilling on her bed. Still refused to get up. He just carried her to the car on the pillow. Brought her inside the house. I saw her, looked at the leg with the newer tumor and knew something was wrong. We took her to the emergency room immediately. She was still quite chipper, actually. Sitting up in the car, looking around and giving kisses. Whined a bit, and snapped when I tried to move the leg to look more closely. They did xrays and confirmed the leg was broken. A clean break through the tumor. We chose to put her down that night so she wouldn't be in too much pain.

She was the best dog I've ever had. We knew this was coming but drat it hurts.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm so sorry :( Condolences.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry :(

Good Dog, Tatianna.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I'm so sorry, ghostgirl. :( You guys gave her an amazing retirement.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Today was Wrendog's birthday.

The best tradition. :kimchi:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

ghostgirl, I'm so sorry, poor Tatiana. I'm glad she had a good and loving home. I liked seeing updates about her (and Regulus) because it was clear they are special to you. I know you only had her a pretty short time but it is funny how quickly a greyhound can become someone's favorite. Union has been gone 3 years now and I still think about her all the time. A Good Dog is a treasure.

Seeing Wren get a birthday burger is also a treasure. :kimchi:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ghostgirl118 posted:

She was the best dog I've ever had. We knew this was coming but drat it hurts.

I know this feeling, I was super bummed about having to put down North for the longest time, and then when I got Wren she was such a pain in the rear end and so different a greyhound, I was just... :sigh:

She quickly grew on me in her own quirky ways, and has since probably become closer to me than even North was. So time and new pups definitely help.
Still, losing a pet is always rough, and I'm sorry you had to put Tatiana down. <3

Speaking of my dog being a pain though, she was a bit overzealous chasing the small dogs around the dog park on her birthday, and ended up scraping a bit of her carpal pad off. So it's not too bad, but she acts like I'm the worst person ever whenever I have to clean it and change her bandage. Ah, to have dog.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus continues to endear himself to us by:

• Stealing a tomato from the garden and treating it as a squishy toy inside on the rug.
  • Eating grass and then barfing in the house.
  • Acting like he's being murdered every time I try to wipe his butt.
  • Jumping up on the bed while we're gone so he can claw around the covers to sleep, even though he has a couch and chair and several dog beds and knows he's not supposed to be up there, mister! :argh:
  • Knocking down one of our sunflowers because he's a clumsy git.
  • Generally just being an uncoordinated bag of bones with no understanding of how his limbs work, instead getting from one place to another via violent flailing. Wood floors have nothing to do with it, either.

In short I'm pretty sure my dog is broken.

How is that comfortable?!

I mean seriously. You look like an idiot.

Idiot.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Dog is Working As Intended.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

[*]Acting like he's being murdered every time I try to wipe his butt.

Are greyhounds just the biggest scaredy cats? Mine is terrified of the smallest things. Last week he was sitting on the couch and started sliding off the cushion into the crack between the couch and the cushion and he started howling bloody murder for a good 5 seconds.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Greyhounds are famous crybabies, it is known

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My wife and I still laugh about the time our woke up from a dead sleep, cried this howl with an ever rising pitch like she was shot and then immediately passed back out. Before we could even get off the couch to see what happened she was flipped over and totally out again.

I guess she rolled onto her tail or had a nightmare but my goodness I've never heard a dog so apparently distressed.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah once when walking Gannon he was jumping around a bit with another dog and managed to get his lead in the webbing between his toes. It took a minute to convince the other people that their dog hadn't just horribly injured mine and that he is in fact just that big of a crybaby.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah once when walking Gannon he was jumping around a bit with another dog and managed to get his lead in the webbing between his toes. It took a minute to convince the other people that their dog hadn't just horribly injured mine and that he is in fact just that big of a crybaby.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, Sparty jumped up on my spouse and got the headphone wire between his pads, and from the sound of it you'd think he'd had it chopped off.

Are greyhounds just dramatic in general? When he sighs and lays down its like he just pulled a 26 hour shift. There's usually dramatic flopping involved. It's especially funny when he falls on a squeaky toy and bounces back up again.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

The funny thing is, with union at least, when she was actually seriously hurt she would just stand there like huh? Why you look all worried?

Once another dog jumped up on her to play and tore a hole in the skin on her chest, it was kind of cool really, because their skin is really loose and I could slide it around and could see her muscles or something through this 3 inch hole, but no blood? And union was just like, ok, tell me when you're done playing with that I guess

Dog, something in the weeds bit you on the face and you have blood all over you and a golfball of some kind under your cheek skin. You should be upset. But no. Car ride! Oh the vet is squeezing the cheek thing to get all the blood out, it looks super painful, but dog is all hey what up nice lady

And of course when she had the bone tumor she was limping more and more but never grumbled or fussed even though it must have hurt.

But back up and accidentally bump her butt into a door which swings away from her? IM SCARED AND IM DYING TOO

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I think that they're mostly just easily startled and very vocal about it. Also easily thrown by anything unfamiliar. Every time Gannon goes in to the vet he's a big baby about halving to walk on the hard tile and just refuses to go onto the scale but he doesn't react at all to the vet exam or the shots. Because he knows the deal with shots but tile/hardware floors are some unknowable evil from the pits of hell as far as he's concerned.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

Greyhounds are famous crybabies, it is known

It is known

Within ten seconds of meeting Rory I got to experience the Greyhound Scream of Death firsthand when she caught the webbing between her toes on the drawstring of the bag I was holding and apparently thought her foot was being torn off. :saddowns:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Am I right in believing greyhounds are among the dumbest, least trainable dogs, or have I been misled?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I got to walk and babysit these two for my mother in law (who was looking after them for a friend but was called away so I got to take them out) - they're Elizabeth (the blonde lady on the right) and Palmer (the black dog) and they're so sweet. Lizzie's afraid of the floor and skitters everywhere, Palmer skitters everywhere but doesn't care, and just wants to lean on you :3

Palmer will also nose his way into the bathroom and stare at you.

Admittedly my dog does this too but she adds in godawful staffie noises with it. Needless to say she did not get to meet the greyhounds since she chased the last one she saw round the field...never caught it and the other dog was happy to play but still...

I also got tutted by a woman whilst out walking them because Palmer really is very skinny (and nobbly along his back) - I've seen him eat though and he's just not that bothered about food, he'll stop eating and just go back for the occasional nibble. Lizzie is much greedier and hence slightly softer to the touch :3

(please excuse the room, my mother in law is in the process of renovating and redecorating)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

Am I right in believing greyhounds are among the dumbest, least trainable dogs, or have I been misled?

This is pretty correct. Though from what I understand they're just not a breed that wants to please people all the time and not the most food driven so it can make training difficult. So the untrainable part doesn't necessarily mean they are super dumb. That said, I don't think anyone would ever call them a smart breed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I can get mine to jump up, lay down roll over and go to their spots. We can also do a lot of functional stuff that isn't really a trick like they will wait at the door for their turn at tooth brushing and change shifts (which is super cute btw) or the stop / wait command while we're walking. One of the girls has a pretty good heel too, she stuck right by me at the dog park. The other kinda...orbits but she's def the less intelligent of the two. Still I don't think either one is as dumb as some of the dogs I've encountered in my life, maybe they're just so calm it seems like they're smarter.

I use the clicker and its all about getting paid, I don't know that they would really do much without knowing I have the treats or its things that are ingrained as habits like waiting in their crates for the food. They do seem to really enjoy the work though and sometimes miss treats because they're into whatever thing I'm asking to do.

These are my first dogs, maybe my standards are very low. Previously I had a cat and trained him to come when called, sit and move to a location I would select by thumping it (that last one I would torture my GF by yelling "Might kong!" and thumping next to her head, the cat would dive-bomb out of nowhere looking for his treat ). He was very reliable but the little bastard required me to actively show him I had a treat before he would do his tricks, I could get away with maybe 1 bluff before he realized there wasn't anything in my hand and he'd wander off.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

KomodoWagon posted:

I mean mine's not exactly a Rhodes scholar, but she is pretty sensitive to body language and non-verbal cues. She learned basic commands like "crate!" and "off!" for when we need her off of the furniture very quickly, but she also knows automatically that if it's close to dinner time and the humans are putting on their shoes, they're going out and it's time to get in the crate. Or, if it's late and the humans are coming up the stairs, it's time to get off the human bed and on to her own bed.

It really just depends on the dog. Alifeless has popped in here on occasion and talked about a friend of hers who does agility with her greyhound and has videos of her dog doing some pretty amazing tricks!

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Regulus is enjoying being an only child wayyy too much.

Last night he came up to me while me and spouse were watching tv to get pets. We're sitting side by side. He puts one front paw on the couch, then the other. Then just JUMPS onto into both our laps and lays down on top of us with his bony self. So of course, spouse gets him a pillow. Because now we need to spoil him? :argh:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Yes.
:burger::burger::burger:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

This is pretty correct. Though from what I understand they're just not a breed that wants to please people all the time and not the most food driven so it can make training difficult. So the untrainable part doesn't necessarily mean they are super dumb. That said, I don't think anyone would ever call them a smart breed.
Spartacus is indeed broken then, because he is insanely food motivated but is still dumber than a sack of hammers. I haven't had any luck getting him to learn tricks so far, he gets so psyched by food he loses all control and turns into a spaz, but if there's no food I can't get him to give a poo poo. From the way he acts at food times it's like we've been starving him the whole time, and he mobs me whenever he hears the treat jar.

For reference I've taught Cookie how to sit, stay, lay down, shake, spin, jump, and we're working on roll over, bow, and place, and our cat Gus can stand up, wave, spin, shake, and sometimes sit.

Chosen
Jul 11, 2002
Vibrates when provoked.
My wife and I joined the greyhound cult a couple weeks ago. Meet Dahlia (yes, she needs a few burgers yet).

She's intensely curious and outgoing:

She is as stubborn as a mule. She statues all the time. At first, we thought this was due to fear and the strangeness of city life. Now, two weeks in, I know that she just freezes because she doesn't want to do whatever I'm currently proposing because it's boring. In this picture, it sure looks like she's afraid of the stairs, but actually she just wants to collect more scent information 5 feet away. She doesn't care that we've already been out for hours and I'm late for work.

She does yoga when eating chew treats:

She loves people so much, and she resents almost all of the other dogs we meet. It's been a real treat adopting her, I don't think we could've asked for a better first dog.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Iowa peeps? Anyone here? I heard a rumor of an awesome dog that will be headed your way! If anyone is looking to add a burgerdog to their house, Pokemon episode is healing from a broken leg. It absolutely KILLS me to not be able to take him in. He is also one of Tatianna's puppies, so a practical guarantee of awesome dog if pedigrees say anything. Any interested parties can let me know and I'll make sure to let you know which rescue he will be going too.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

ghostgirl118 posted:

Iowa peeps? Anyone here? I heard a rumor of an awesome dog that will be headed your way! If anyone is looking to add a burgerdog to their house, Pokemon episode is healing from a broken leg. It absolutely KILLS me to not be able to take him in. He is also one of Tatianna's puppies, so a practical guarantee of awesome dog if pedigrees say anything. Any interested parties can let me know and I'll make sure to let you know which rescue he will be going too.

His....his name is Pokemon Episode? :stare:

e. gently caress everything, I live on the east coast :smith:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2016

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Right!!?? And his breeder was like, if it's just financial reasons I will give yall 500 to help take care of him because I know you two will love him so much. But spouse is too heartsore/2 young male dogs seems like a lot.

My soul died a little when we had to say no. :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey Guys!

So I've posted about our two dogs, Joey and Louis in the thread before but just need some advice on a small issue we've been having lately.

We usually just keep them in our room when we are out. We have a yard to leave them in but it can get cold where we live (Melbourne, Australia) or too hot... and once they killed a possum, so inside it is!

We don't trust them around the house because they steal our bread and rip things up, so the room was where we decided. I work during the day and my wife works all hours as she's a paramedic, so it's only really one day a week or so that they have extended time without us from 9-5.

They never had this issue for the 5 or so years we've had them but it just seems that recently they've been peeing and pooping in our room. As best we can realise it tracks back to a day where we left them alone ALL day and night (we had no choice unfortunately as things had come up). from about 9am-11pm. They had peed and pooped in the room but we couldn't be mad at them so just let them outside and fed them and they were happy.

I dunno if it's confirmation bias but we just feel like since that day they've decided it's OK. Whether it did start that day or not I have no idea but definitely the last few weeks it's like we can't even go out for more than a few hours without coming back to an accident! We just do not understand.

Things of note that may affect advice?

1. It's not that they are incontinent. Joey is 8 and Louis is 6. If we are home they last so long without going outside. They stay in our room at night and they've been from 9pm-10am without a bathroom break before. During the day when we are home... no accidents, they just laze about.

2. It's always in the same spot in our room. We have taken to lay towels down as obviously we want our carpet to not be ruined further. Not sure if this encourages it or not but it's kept the accidents more or less ON the towels every time except for once or twice.

3. We aren't really sure who it is although we suspect Louis. We have no real proof to back this up except for him not needing to go after we get home. But sometimes we've come back to two pee puddles or poops so that would be both we estimate.

We just don't understand why, sometimes it's literally two hours and we let them out to go before hand... what is a way to discipline this as we can't catch them in the act? Take them to the pee, tell them no and then take them outside? Will they realise it's that?

EDIT-

As payment for any advice please accept a picture of our dogs

teacup fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 28, 2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

teacup posted:

We just don't understand why, sometimes it's literally two hours and we let them out to go before hand... what is a way to discipline this as we can't catch them in the act? Take them to the pee, tell them no and then take them outside? Will they realise it's that?

Nope, you need to re house train them from scratch. You could consider crate training as well.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Also if you haven't yet you need to clean the soiled spot with an enzymatic cleaner to really get rid of the smell. Otherwise they'll just keep thinking that spot is the bathroom.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

bamhand posted:

Nope, you need to re house train them from scratch. You could consider crate training as well.

DOGS!!!!

They pretty much came house trained from the rescue place we got them from. I've always been a bit confused by crate training. And there any resources people reccomend to narrow down the mammoth google search I've got on my hands when I put in "Crate training". Do both dogs go in the one crate? Or get two seperate ones?

EDIT- We also have a spare room we were thinking of kinda turning into 'their' room while we are away. Can we essentially take the lessons of 'crate training' online into just a giant room where they will go when we are away?

teacup fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

teacup posted:

DOGS!!!!

They pretty much came house trained from the rescue place we got them from. I've always been a bit confused by crate training. And there any resources people reccomend to narrow down the mammoth google search I've got on my hands when I put in "Crate training". Do both dogs go in the one crate? Or get two seperate ones?

EDIT- We also have a spare room we were thinking of kinda turning into 'their' room while we are away. Can we essentially take the lessons of 'crate training' online into just a giant room where they will go when we are away?

Dogs go in separate crates. They might make a mess in the room if they have a room instead of a crate. Crates make house training a lot easier because they generally will not soil their crate.