Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

but anything Gen 6 related will be pretty much dead, so there's not much of a reason to.
What does this mean? I haven't been around Pokemon in a while honestly asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Two more Darkrai codes:

A5Z3WAT6YDU2Q3H4

A5Z32QKKRK5JWMXL

Also, what does one nickname a shiny, male Makuhita?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
With clothing customization being a thing now, I'm surprised they don't give you at least a few other ways to wear your key stone. You know you want to be able to choose what sentai pose you do when you mega evolve.

E:

dragon_pamcake posted:

Two more Darkrai codes:

A5Z32QKKRK5JWMXL

Took the second one, thanks! I've been kicking myself for missing this one.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 28, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Russad posted:

What the hell kind of bullshit is this?

The undeniable Gen II truth? Typhlosion and Whatever the gently caress the grass one is called look dumb as hell. Feraligatr or get the gently caress out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Kelp Plankton posted:

at the very top there's this weird tier of attempting to counterplay the metagame and a lot of weird picks emerge due to that. but thats like your top 0.01% of players playing against eachother. anything below that generally revolves around the same set of like maybe 20 pokemon that are just superior to everything else

that's how this kind of thing is just going to work though. the game is designed first and foremost as a singleplayer rpg, the competitive stuff always takes a backseat. it gets attention but it's never the main focus

at least IVs are going to be more accessible now

The funniest thing is that a lot of people realized that those two were anti meta. Looking through the lists of top players Raichu and Hitmontop were pretty common!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

dragon_pamcake posted:

Two more Darkrai codes:

A5Z3WAT6YDU2Q3H4

Took the first one, thanks

Also, the only valid answer is E. Honda

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Took the first one, thanks

Also, the only valid answer is E. Honda

I would Aldo accept Edmund, or Dudley

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

By Edmund are you referring to Max Edmund Palmer? Max Palmer is an awesome name for a Hariyama.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Porkchop!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

By Edmund are you referring to Max Edmund Palmer? Max Palmer is an awesome name for a Hariyama.

No, Edmund Honda :v:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

notoriousman posted:

You can get a (female) Geodude from dark cave or route 46 and solo the first 3 gyms with it.

Geodude is the loving queen of Johto.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Dudley, you say?

Their gloves are even the same color!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

dragon_pamcake posted:

Dom Delouise

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

cams posted:

What does this mean? I haven't been around Pokemon in a while honestly asking.

By "dead" I think the meaning is the online activity in the games. So, no new official events, little activity for battles, less active GTS, etc. Basically, you'd have little reason to continue wanting your old pokemon in a previous generation of games unless you know somebody specifically who won't be moving on to generation 7 and you'd want to keep a team around to battle them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Internet Kraken posted:

That's gen 1 for you. So many pokemon can learn moves they would never have if they got added in a modern game.

Golurk can learn fly. Checkmate.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

He's a ghost, that goes with the territory, IMO.

Also, if absolutely baking my Alola Crab minster Dudley now!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

He has rockets in his hands and feet because he's a mecha or something. It's shown in the anime, even in one of the movies, I think.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Golurk is incredibly sick and was the best Pokemon before the introduction of the Pancham line

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cerony posted:

Geodude is the loving queen of Johto.

Why female? Is there any difference? I could catch geodude, but I don't want to use Kanto Pokemon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

greatn posted:

Why female? Is there any difference? I could catch geodude, but I don't want to use Kanto Pokemon.

Because Whitney's Miltank has Attract

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Johto only has 100 new Pokemon, a decent chunk of which are evolutions/babies of Kanto Pokemon. You might want to rethink this run.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
On the other hand, the Pokemon are good and there's plenty to choose from, the only thing is having access to them early on.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I recently did a playthrough of Crystal trying to use Johto Pokes but there was one girl I couldn't resist:

Typhlosion (M)
Golem (F)
Jumpluff (M)
Slowking (M)
Heracross (M)
Crobat (M)

E: I just opened the game to check the gender and got called for a rematch by Hiker Anthony. I remember the first time he upgraded his team his Machop went up to Machamp but now he has a Machoke in its place. I think a found a script error.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw crud, I didn't realize the Arceus giveaway only went until the 24th. I don't suppose a kindly goon picked up a spare code they'd be willing to give away, did they?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Johto only has 100 new Pokemon, a decent chunk of which are evolutions/babies of Kanto Pokemon. You might want to rethink this run.

cool gen 2 pokemon (not including the starters or things that evolve from/to gen 1 pokemon) for your consideration:

mareep
houndour
chinchou
phanpy
larvitar
sneasel
wooper
misdreavus
murkrow
heracross

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah there are enough to do it, but is it practical or fun, especially early game?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Manatee Cannon posted:

cool gen 2 pokemon (not including the starters or things that evolve from/to gen 1 pokemon) for your consideration:

mareep
houndour
chinchou
phanpy
larvitar
sneasel
wooper
misdreavus
murkrow
heracross

Adding:

Qwilfish
Teddiursa
Skarmory
Swinub
Pineco

of the above I've used 4 competitively, also they look cool.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah there are enough to do it, but is it practical or fun, especially early game?

It's always fun to use new Pokemon you downer

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

C-Euro posted:

Aw crud, I didn't realize the Arceus giveaway only went until the 24th. I don't suppose a kindly goon picked up a spare code they'd be willing to give away, did they?

I'm drunk enough to give away one of my two Arceuses if you need one, if you have anything worth trading for it, like, I dunno, anything in a Johto ball, or anything shiny, or fuckin' anything, whatever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

you can get heracross, mareep, and phanpy before the 3rd gym. if you're going for stuff that evolves into gen 2 exclusives, such as crobat, you can get basically a full team of good and usable pokemon very early

e: also wooper

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 28, 2016

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

dragon_pamcake posted:

The proper answer is "Cumlaude". Sumo Cum Laude :suicide:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Diet Poison posted:

I'm drunk enough to give away one of my two Arceuses if you need one, if you have anything worth trading for it, like, I dunno, anything in a Johto ball, or anything shiny, or fuckin' anything, whatever.

I'm like one badge into X lol, so I don't have any worthwhile. Thanks for the offer, it's been a slow burn.
Maybe I'll just check Gamespot anyway tomorrow.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Manatee Cannon posted:

mareep
houndour
chinchou
phanpy
larvitar
sneasel
wooper
misdreavus
murkrow
heracross

Sneasel is actually an awful Gen II Pokemon. It's a pretty good Gen IV Pokemon though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

mareep
houndour
chinchou
phanpy
larvitar
sneasel
wooper
misdreavus
murkrow
heracross

you can't catch five of these until the game is already over

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

if it's a gen 4 game togepi is actually usable and becomes good

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Zore posted:

What are you using at that point then?

The only gen II pokes you can even get before Bugsy are

1) Starters
2) Hoothoot
3) Sentret
4) Mareep
5) Wooper
6) Spinarak
7) Ledyba
8) Hopip
9) Dunsparse

.... yeah, those are all p. bad unless you have Cyndaquil and maybe Mareep.

Gen II way backloads its good pokemon, and the ones you can get early are mostly real bad. At least Gen IV gave a bunch of them evos to make them not total garbage.

ooof, yeah, you basically have to use some Gen I Pokemon if you want to not have a Bad Time in the early going. Well, or you start with Cyndaquil and grind quite a bit, because you'll need some HP to tank a U-Turn (if we're talking HGSS).
I guess you could also grind up Mareep till it evolves and rely on Thundershock & Flaaffy's okay bulk to carry you through. Scyther is part Flying, after all, and does not like special attacks much.
but generally the solution for Bugsy is Geodude or Spearow.

hmmm, I'm thinking about HGSS Gen II Pokemon availability.

Before Gym 1
Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile
Hoothoot
Sentret
Spinarak
Ledyba
Mareep (Primo)
Wooper (Primo)
Slugma (Primo)
Dunsparce (but really, only feasible after, when you have Rock Smash)
Unown :buddy:
Crobat (if you grind like crazy!)

Before Gym 2
Togepi
Hoppip (lol)
Steelix (if you trade it to a game that has a metal coat, attach it, & trade back, lol)
Slowking (same as above, but with King's Rock)

Before Gym 3
Pineco
Heracross
Aipom
Yanma
Sunkern (lol)
Bellossom (National Park-won Sun Stone)
Scizor (same as w/Steelix & Slowking)

Before Gym 4
Sudowoodo
Espeon
Umbreon
Stantler
Marill (rare as gently caress)
Snubbull
Miltank
Corsola (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Qwilfish (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Chinchou
Girafarig
Entei & Raikou (theoretically)

Before Gym 5
Politoed (same as Slowking)
Shuckle
Smeargle
Natu
Mantine

Before Gym 7?
Misdreavus (Safari Zone)
Murkrow (Safari Zone)
Larvitar (Safari Zone)

Before Gym 8
Kingdra (same as w/ Slowking, Steelix, and Scizor, but with Dragon Scale)
Delibird
Swinub
Remoraid
Phanpy
Teddiursa
Gligar
Skarmory
Wobbuffet

Pre-E4
Tyrogue/Hitmontop
Lugia or Ho-Oh

Post E-4
Houndour
Sneasel
Ho-Oh or Lugia

lol I'm so glad Nintendo never did anything like this again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

C-Euro posted:

I'm like one badge into X lol, so I don't have any worthwhile. Thanks for the offer, it's been a slow burn.
Maybe I'll just check Gamespot anyway tomorrow.

Whatever, guy, you can trade me a fuckin' trashbird and owe me a Blood Debt or something that I'll probly never collect upon but may require you to assassinate somebody someday.

0533-5340-6744 if you're not a chickennnnnnnnn

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I can't remember, but did one of the trailers/images confirm if your Pokemon walking behind you is back?

WHY do they keep reintroducing/removing this mechanic :sigh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember getting phanpy at the very beginning of the game by setting my game timer to morning and crawling through the grass at the little patch you can access that leads back to the eight gym city I can't remember the name of. sneasel's in the ice dungeon in crystal but idk about the others

if we're talking about hgss, idk where anything is in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Gen 5 got it so loving right, I don't remember another time when I was that excited by all the options available to me, and even better all the Pokemon were really loving strong and they looked cool as hell.

Being able to pick up Scraggy, Darumaka, Sandile, Yamask, Timburr, Venipede etc. all within like two towns of each other was really cool