Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

Half of my family is from Ohio. I spent 4 years there. I now live about half-way around the world from there. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay on this island. And yet, I feel, I am not far away enough.

I live in Pennsylvania. I actively avoid going to either Ohio or New Jersey for any reason at all, ever. I'll drive around them if I have to.

I had a job interview in Cleveland. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Hi y'all,

I'm looking to engage on some political issues with others. Ideologically, I'm anti-politics and anti-State. The most succinct description would be to label myself a libertarian anarchist who is against aggression, against war and in favor of voluntary cooperation.

I look forward to elaborating on these views once I am approved.

I don't know why but this is the funniest thing jrodefeld has ever posted anywhere. I think it's the folksy y'all.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Caros posted:

I don't know why but this is the funniest thing jrodefeld has ever posted anywhere. I think it's the folksy y'all.

Wait, is he coming back? He will be able to chat with his robot!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wait, is he coming back? He will be able to chat with his robot!

Nah he's permabanned, Caros follows him off site due to a tragic addiction.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Ohhh. Thank you for your service, Caros.

Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Yes yes, highway overpass. I know.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caros posted:

Is that from here in the past or elsewhere recently?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Who What Now posted:

Is that from here in the past or elsewhere recently?

It's from an email Caros got as the admin of a message board he set up as a honeypot for jrode.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

It's from an email Caros got as the admin of a message board he set up as a honeypot for jrode.

Is this for real?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Is this for real?

I want it to be true.

Therefore according to praxeology, it is.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

VitalSigns posted:

I want it to be true.

Therefore according to praxeology, it is.

Yep, watertight logic if you ask me. Which you didn't, but that's what I would say if you had. (But you didn't.)

please be true :pray:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We've been burned once before by Caros' lies. I can't trust him again. Not yet, not while that wound of betrayal is still raw.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Ohhh. Thank you for your service, Caros.

And thank you for not charging Caros out the nose for each hit of jrodbot

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The beauty of the free market!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

QuarkJets posted:

I am wise to your ways, filthy statist. Embrace freedom and let our glorious entrepreneur charge whatever the market can bear!

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I thought it goes in the nose. Drugs are so confusing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I have a chance to discuss things with Maxime Bernier, Canadian conservative, and self identified libertarian.

Do you guys have any special insight into Canadian libertarianism?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GunnerJ posted:

Don't give him any ideas.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

I have a chance to discuss things with Maxime Bernier, Canadian conservative, and self identified libertarian.

When you talk to him say "I have some questions for you!" and pull out a notebook with "QUESTIONS FOR CANADIAN LIBERTARIANS" written on the cover in magic marker. Then look at the cover, say "poo poo" and pull out a second notebook titled "QUESTIONS FOR TORY DILLHOLES"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Bernier is really light weight as far as libertarian's go. If you were to find a self identified libertarian who every other libertarian goes "That isn't a real libertarian" (as if they don't already do this for everyone) you'd be hard pressed to find a better example in Canadian politics than Bernier.

On the libertarian axis he falls into the minarchist variety. He believes there is a place for government, but he also thinks it should be a hell of a lot smaller than it is. If anything I'd say he's basically just a Reagan republican when it comes to all matters economic, and a modern liberal as far as social/foreign policy issues. There isn't much opportunity for comedy from him, but as a Canadian I actually feel he is a banal sort of evil. He is the sort of guy who wants to get rid of universal healthcare the same way the nutters do, but rather than trying to convince everyone outright he wants to just grind it into paste over the course of half a century by slowly 'getting the government out of our healthcare' etc.

Now if you want laughs you actually want to look into the Canadian libertarian party. Their leader Tim Moen is a fascinatingly bizarre An-Cap who used to blog (and get laughed at by me) under the name "The Fort Mac Philosopher". And yes it was as pretentious as it sounds. his national claim to fame was getting into (losing) a public argument with Neil Young over how lovely the Alberta Oil Sands are for the environment. Since then he (as the leader of the party) has gone on to draw 2.97% of the vote in a by-election, followed by 1.09% in 2015. For reference, with that last showing he just narrowly edged out former MP (and massive racist) Jim Pankiw in both vote count and percentage!

Truly libertarianism is exploding in population in Canada.

Frankly my favorite example of how loving stupid these people are is their policy regarding the CRTC:

quote:

The Libertarian Party of Canada realizes that government regulatory agencies often do far more harm than good. These regulatory agencies ultimately hurt consumers by increasing costs and curbing competition. As such, the Libertarian Party of Canada would:

Repeal the powers of the CRTC over radio, television and communications

People who aren't Canadians might not know this, but Canada has effectively three wireless providers: Bell, Telus and Rogers. Those three are essentially engaging in cartel behavior to fix prices nationwide, which should surprise literally no one. In Saskatchewan for example, where we still have a Crown Corp called Sasktel that provides cell service our prices are literally half of the prices of major urban centers in eastern Canada, because we have a government entity that forces them to compete. Every meaningfully successful improvement in the Canadian wireless system in the last decade has come on the back of the CRTC saying: "No, you can't loving do that."

To eliminate the CRTC is loving crazy. I mean it shows a fundamental lack of understanding about science, because without a regulatory agency this technology simply wouldn't loving work since radiowave spectrum is a thing and absent regulation the networks would loving collapse. But even ignoring that its just baffling to think that you'd somehow see more competition if the three major powers who are barely being held at loving bay were no longer subject to even the most basic scrutiny.

... I should stop ranting. I know I got off topic but christ Canadian libertarians are stupid. I once rented a bachelor apartment to the Libertarian Party chairman for saskatchewan after his wife left him. Fucker could barely pay his rent and ended up setting his stove on fire at one point. Captains of industry these people are not.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 28, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Caros posted:

... I should stop ranting. I know I got off topic but christ Canadian libertarians are stupid. I once rented a bachelor apartment to the Libertarian Party chairman for saskatchewan after his wife left him. Fucker could barely pay his rent and ended up setting his stove on fire at one point. Captains of industry these people are not.

I need to know more about this story, and others, about this paragon of praexology.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Reagan ded

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm glad Reagan ded

Of I had a time machine I wouldn't go kill Hitler, I'd kill Reagan.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Caros posted:

Bernier is really light weight as far as libertarian's go. If you were to find a self identified libertarian who every other libertarian goes "That isn't a real libertarian" (as if they don't already do this for everyone) you'd be hard pressed to find a better example in Canadian politics than Bernier.

On the libertarian axis he falls into the minarchist variety. He believes there is a place for government, but he also thinks it should be a hell of a lot smaller than it is. If anything I'd say he's basically just a Reagan republican when it comes to all matters economic, and a modern liberal as far as social/foreign policy issues. There isn't much opportunity for comedy from him, but as a Canadian I actually feel he is a banal sort of evil. He is the sort of guy who wants to get rid of universal healthcare the same way the nutters do, but rather than trying to convince everyone outright he wants to just grind it into paste over the course of half a century by slowly 'getting the government out of our healthcare' etc.

Now if you want laughs you actually want to look into the Canadian libertarian party. Their leader Tim Moen is a fascinatingly bizarre An-Cap who used to blog (and get laughed at by me) under the name "The Fort Mac Philosopher". And yes it was as pretentious as it sounds. his national claim to fame was getting into (losing) a public argument with Neil Young over how lovely the Alberta Oil Sands are for the environment. Since then he (as the leader of the party) has gone on to draw 2.97% of the vote in a by-election, followed by 1.09% in 2015. For reference, with that last showing he just narrowly edged out former MP (and massive racist) Jim Pankiw in both vote count and percentage!

Truly libertarianism is exploding in population in Canada.

Frankly my favorite example of how loving stupid these people are is their policy regarding the CRTC:

People who aren't Canadians might not know this, but Canada has effectively three wireless providers: Bell, Telus and Rogers. Those three are essentially engaging in cartel behavior to fix prices nationwide, which should surprise literally no one. In Saskatchewan for example, where we still have a Crown Corp called Sasktel that provides cell service our prices are literally half of the prices of major urban centers in eastern Canada, because we have a government entity that forces them to compete. Every meaningfully successful improvement in the Canadian wireless system in the last decade has come on the back of the CRTC saying: "No, you can't loving do that."

To eliminate the CRTC is loving crazy. I mean it shows a fundamental lack of understanding about science, because without a regulatory agency this technology simply wouldn't loving work since radiowave spectrum is a thing and absent regulation the networks would loving collapse. But even ignoring that its just baffling to think that you'd somehow see more competition if the three major powers who are barely being held at loving bay were no longer subject to even the most basic scrutiny.

I'm only on page 109 of this thread, but u had to ask, and thanks Caros. Libertarians are absolute scum. Maxime's latest thing is that he wants to get rid of Canada post.

But yeah, Canadian libertarianism is really stupid and thankfully it hasn't taken that much hold here in Canada.

I've met Tim, I had no idea he was actually one of those nutbag an-caps.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, as it's really helpful to have a resource like this for combating libertarians and their arguments.

Not that Canada is a tremendous hotbed of political activity, but having the tools to slam the occasional libertarian poo poo head that wanders into political events is awesome.

I would agree with Caros, most if not all of the libertarian people I've met are some flavour of minarchest. So, most of the stuff that's been talked about in the first 100 pages doesn't really apply to those who believe in some sort of state presence.

Don't ever stop, Caros. You're doing the lord's work.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Who What Now posted:

Of I had a time machine I wouldn't go kill Hitler, I'd kill Reagan.

I don't know if you mean this facetiously or not, but I would say the same thing with a straight face. In my opinion, Reagan and Thatcher (as a close second) have done more in the modern era to destroy the gains made in the post-war period, disenfranchise the average person and hand over all the power to oligarchy. At the same time, they have turned everyone against responsible government even though it is the only reasonable protection against the abuses of capitalism.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

I thought it goes in the nose. Drugs are so confusing.

From what I've seen come out of TCC, anything from weed to gray market Soviet-era research chemicals are best enjoyed rammed up one's anus.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know if you mean this facetiously or not, but I would say the same thing with a straight face.

Why would I joke about the best way to save America?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Besides, it's not like you can just go all Wolfenstein and kill Hitler. Fascist security is way tighter

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Who What Now posted:

Why would I joke about the best way to save America?

I didn't think that you were and I obviously am of like mind, but I was hedging my bets lest you were taking the piss.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

Besides, it's not like you can just go all Wolfenstein and kill Hitler. Fascist security is way tighter

Well I think it's supposed to be baby Hitler.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Caros posted:

Well I think it's supposed to be baby Hitler.

If we did that with Reagan tho we wouldn't get the third best Ramones song

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If we did that with Reagan tho we wouldn't get the third best Ramones song

We all have to make sacrifices to live in a better world.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We all have to make sacrifices to live in a better world.

Nooooo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know any Ramones songs so it's not even a sacrifice for me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

I don't know any Ramones songs so it's not even a sacrifice for me.

This is a physical impossibility

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have very, very bad tastes in music.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
the ramones are bad and their music is bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Have the Rolling Stones killed."
"But sir, those are the-"
"DO AS I SAY!"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

theshim posted:

the ramones are bad and their music is bad

wow, look at this guy, who's wrong as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
without the ramones you probably would not have the clash and i think depriving the world of london calling is hosed up