Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, I got a Wigglytuff with Pound and Hyper Beam.

It's also got nearly perfect IVs. How high does it rank as a gym attacker / defender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

It's also got nearly perfect IVs. How high does it rank as a gym attacker / defender?

Go try it out! :shobon:

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

endlessmonotony posted:

For completion:

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

endlessmonotony posted:

This guy about an hour with Feint Attack / Dazzling Gleam. That's my 1 X sample.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Stoner doggo also works.

I've evolved 5 Arcanines so far but only one has the optimal moveset but at least none have Bulldoze. I also wanted a Vaporeon to counter all the Arcanines in the gyms here, my name trick got me one with Water Pulse. Since then I've just evolved 3 Jolteons with Discharge. I've got 3 Rhydons with Megahorn and 3 Golems with Ancient Power.

:negative:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

3. Are you using as many incubators as you can? Every 2nd or 3rd day you should be able to get one from cashing in on gyms. Just make sure you never use a limited-use incubator on a 2k.

Ok so you're saying you regularly get over 5 gyms a day, I've got some questions for you or anyone else who consistently gets over 50 coins a day:

What's your level?

What team are you on?

Do you usually gym battle with a group or alone?

Do you mostly capture gyms from other teams or add to gyms of your own color?

Is your area urban/suburban/other?

How do you travel from gym to gym (walk/bike/car)?

Duckman2008 posted:

Question: what is the best electric Pokemon? I still have a bit to go on getting enough candies to evolve some of my grass Pokemon, if I can get a solid electric one while I'm here to help at gym battles, that would be great. The loving Voltorb and Magnemites I evolved had awful 30 special attacks.

Jolteon.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Ok so you're saying you regularly get over 5 gyms a day, I've got some questions for you or anyone else who consistently gets over 50 coins a day:

What's your level?

What team are you on?

Level 26 (but did it for a while), Mystic, alone. It depends on the situation of the gyms, but training gyms up usually feels easier. Some nights I end up having to capture everything, other nights they're already blue. One night a bunch of gyms were neutral.
Urban area, and I bike. The trick is to go in the morning or night when no one plays.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: Adding to this, my brother and I managed to consistently hold ~7 gyms for a while by doing a quick jogging route in the morning on weekends/late night on weekdays. Kind of a big commitment time-wise for poke-coins, and we were both ~level 29/30 on Mystic in a mostly Mystic area that was also much more rural than were we live so it was a bit easier.

The two gyms we took in a small Midwestern town lasted ~2 days, whereas the longest mine have ever lasted in the city is about ~1 hour. Double dropping pokemon also seems to really help. Anecdotally, there seem to be a lot of people who drive around to small towns/villages and drop huge stacks on gyms; there was a group of 8 team Valor people on a bunch of gyms in like 3 different towns in rural Wisconsin who must have held them for a while from driving around. Or spoofed to get there...

Premature ejacula- posted:

I've evolved 5 Arcanines so far but only one has the optimal moveset but at least none have Bulldoze. I also wanted a Vaporeon to counter all the Arcanines in the gyms here, my name trick got me one with Water Pulse. Since then I've just evolved 3 Jolteons with Discharge. I've got 3 Rhydons with Megahorn and 3 Golems with Ancient Power.

FWIW, Water Pulse Vaporeon is the 4th best defense Pokemon in the game after the rebalance, if you don't double count move-sets on the three pokemon that are better than it. As someone with only one Hydro Pump Vaproreon out of 5, and the proud owned of 13 Flareons/Jolteons named Rainer, at least it's better than pre-rebalance. Also, Arcanine is actually a pretty bad defender, so hopefully you can beat them up with some dodging anyway!

Really hope they add TMs, atm I basically have 2 strong Arcanines, 2 strong Exeguttors, a strong Vaporeon and 2 strong Snorlaxes, but that really isn't enough to hold 5+ gyms and still take more. poo poo's annoying!

foutre fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 28, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What's your level?

What team are you on?

Jolteon.

Level 27, Mystic, alone, Tallahassee, drive.

On my way to work, there are 12 gyms. I check my phone as I approach each to decide if it's worth it (and so I can accidentally run over some leukemia patients).

Enemy gym less than 6000 prestige? Take it.

Friendly gym 2000 prestige from level up? Train it.

I also get one or two freebie spots on average.

Some days it's 8 gyms some days it's 3. Today it's just the 3 I held from yesterday because I do chores all morning and if I wait until 1 when I normally leave the house, it'll push back my normal Monday cash-in time.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 28, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm level 21 and I'm lucky if I'll get one gym in a day, if I bother to go looking for one. Lots of bored students who are high 20s with retardo strong snorlax and lapras etc near me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What's your level?

What team are you on?

Jolteon.

none of that is important except you should do it at 3am-5. Preferably with people but I do it alone. Usually I try and find friendly gyms with a decent stack because that way you know it's been standing for a while and won't be taken soon. I live near Santa Monica Pier and UCLA so this poo poo is miserable. F2P life sucks but at the same time giving money to reward their brokeass game is a painful thought

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Finally found a Lapras.

CP 40.

Welp, he's going to be my new karpet bombing dropoff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Alan Smithee posted:

none of that is important except you should do it at 3am-5.

Nah. Team choice is the difference between doing only a few a night and having to personally capture every gym every night.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Alan Smithee posted:

according to theflyingexecutive you are already banned for thought crime

According to other people here, there's no way they'd ban anyone that paid for items because of a pr shitstorm, and there's no way they'd ban people using scanners/trackers because the in game one didn't work so that means Niantic is basically allowing people to do it.

And then the bans came.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven't even seen a dratini so this was surprising to find in my apartment

I guess it's good for candy at least

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Fwiw, by the time you've actually got enough Dratini candies to evolve you'll probably be seeing much higher Pokemon anyway. I've been holding on to a 1200 Dragonair but realized that if I evolved it at this point it would be way weaker than my other top pokemon, so it's getting mulched after sitting in my inventory for weeks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nah. Team choice is the difference between doing only a few a night and having to personally capture every gym every night.

I made the excellent choice of picking red next to a university that ripped off their colors, mascot, and just about everything from a better college

it's not even true blue, it's some baby blue poo poo

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Alan Smithee posted:

I made the excellent choice of picking red next to a university that ripped off their colors, mascot, and just about everything from a better college

it's not even true blue, it's some baby blue poo poo

My condolences on living in the worst Carolina

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Level 27, Mystic, alone, Tallahassee, drive.

On my way to work, there are 12 gyms. I check my phone as I approach each to decide if it's worth it (and so I can accidentally run over some leukemia patients).

Enemy gym less than 6000 prestige? Take it.

Friendly gym 2000 prestige from level up? Train it.

I also get one or two freebie spots on average.

Some days it's 8 gyms some days it's 3. Today it's just the 3 I held from yesterday because I do chores all morning and if I wait until 1 when I normally leave the house, it'll push back my normal Monday cash-in time.

Ok, you talked about it like "two or three days" for 150 coins was typical, but what you're describing requires a level of commitment that I think would be off-putting to the average player. Also that doesn't sound appealing to me in terms of opportunity cost since it lengthens your commute and requires to wake up earlier or get home later when you could be sleeping longer in the morning or walking around the park sooner in the evening. That's just my opinion, and I get that this whole game is grindy, but taking that much time and burning fuel doesn't seem worth it compared to just buying the drat coins.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm fortunate to have enough yellow players at work and at the park to coordinate with, but if I take a gym by myself it's gone within half an hour. Blue players can take gyms solo and rely on the chance that a random passerby will be mystic (43%) but yellow and red don't really have this priveledge. Red players might think they do but I'm not sure most of them realize valor only constitutes 32% of the playerbase.

Snowy posted:

I haven't even seen a dratini so this was surprising to find in my apartment

I guess it's good for candy at least

Don't mulch it, hold onto it for when trading is a thing, people would love to get that dex entry without collecting multiple dratinis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does anyone do any voodoo to mess with the signal and make your trainer move around when at home? Typically my guy will stay in place, maybe move a little if I turn off wifi and put on low battery mode but otherwise he eventually stays put

I did just now have him run nearly a km around my neighborhood as if my coordinates were being spoofed but not really. It was kinda cool I guess

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ugh, last night I took down 8 gyms but only cashed in on 5. I saw 4 gyms guarded with 2500 Dragonites from the same L31 trainer.

I wish Cloyster wasn't poo poo. It has Frost Breath and Blizzard, but one Dragonite charge move and it's dead.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just got a 10 CP Diglett. Can I get a rundown on that trick they're good for?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

I just got a 10 CP Diglett. Can I get a rundown on that trick they're good for?

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/bubblestrat

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Could anyone here who knows basic arithmetic tell me with average luck, how many eggs would you have to hatch to get the 5 fossil pokemon? Two months or whatever have passed and basically every single complaint about this game exists as much as ever: I'm glad it convinced me to jog an extra 40 miles a month, I have no loving idea how anyone tolerates the game blatantly making half the pokemon only available to people who spend 30-50 dollars on incubators, and how living in the wrong area basically takes 20 or 30 pokemon completely out of your reach forever.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
10k eggs have a supposed "10%" drop rate, varies stop to stop or player to player. Fossil mens are Aerodactyl, Kabuto, Omanyte, 3/16. 18.7% from a 10k, overall 1.87% to get a fossil man. You would need multiple omanyte and kabuto to evolve (50 candies I think, so maybe 2 or 3 hatches) but I don't know the math or if it would even help.

edit: trainer tips: remote incense usage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZx5xrubsc8
edit2: derp. island has cell data/pokemans.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 28, 2016

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Monterey Bay Aquarium had Kabuto by the bucket, and also featured some Omanyte and Aerodactyl. If you needed any other reasons to see a magnificent aquarium and support marine wildlife preservation. Oh, and Squirtle, besides more Krabby and Horsea than you can count.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I have four eggs stuck at 5.0/5.0 and I have been walking on and off all day

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I had something kind of weird happen with an egg yesterday.

Basically, I was trying to catch a Caterpie. Then, a few seconds after it started, I heard the noise like something showed up on the map. The Caterpie ran away, and before the screen went to any other mode, it went straight into the egg hatch "Oh?" screen. So I guess if you have eggs close to hatching, you might risk losing rare pokemon if you start the capture thing before the egg does its thing.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Which Magikarp would you evolve and why? I'm leaning towards the initially higher CP 84% one, as the difference of CP could be upwards of 200. I have a regular place to get more candies from, but would rather save the dust.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

Boywunda posted:

Which Magikarp would you evolve and why? I'm leaning towards the initially higher CP 84% one, as the difference of CP could be upwards of 200. I have a regular place to get more candies from, but would rather save the dust.

Go with the 97% CP one. 200 CP is pretty negligible when you're looking at a Gyarados between roughly 1800 and 2000 CP. Plus, it'll only take about 4 powerups to make up the CP difference.

It doesn't really matter, though -- you're just going to get Twister. Every time. Forever.

Also, I feel like people value stardust a bit too much. Yes, it becomes more difficult to get at higher levels, but stardust is technically infinite -- you just need to catch mons and hatch eggs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stardust shortages are made much much worse by lucky egg mass evolving.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Sprite Based posted:

It doesn't really matter, though -- you're just going to get Twister. Every time. Forever.

Thanks for jynxing me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Went to Battery Park in NYC today to see these legendary Dratini nests and hopefully get enough to evolve my 96% perfect Dragonair. No catchable Dratinis, and the only one I saw for the couple hours I was there was only catchable if you rode a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Didn't Silph Road just verify that was a Dratini nest?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463672504"]
Went to Battery Park in NYC today to see these legendary Dratini nests and hopefully get enough to evolve my 96% perfect Dragonair. No catchable Dratinis, and the only one I saw for the couple hours I was there was only catchable if you rode a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Didn't Silph Road just verify that was a Dratini nest?

I don't know if its true for all nests but nests might have variable spawn rates throughout the day. I went to Bryant Park (supposedly a growlithe nest) earlier this week and saw 2 growlithe between 3 and 4 PM and 9 between 4 and 5 PM.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463672504"]

I'm pretty sure Dratini nests aren't a thing anymore. However, if you stick near any major body of water, you should be able to find 1-3 per hour. They spawn in rotation with Psyducks and Magikarp, so if you see a lot of those two, be on the lookout because there'll probably be a Dratini before long.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
the favourite lure spot in my city spawned a 2200 cp lapras for me... that promptly ran away after one ball.

Later that night it spawned a 1314 cp, 87% dragonair that I won a hard fought battle with , giving me my first dragonite (2799 cp)

The game giveth, and the game taketh away.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Holy crap - a Snorlax out of a 10k egg... it has Earthquake. Oh well, maybe it's good for something, let me check all these ranking infographics... Ok, Earthquake is so bad it's not even mentioned in the lists. :emo:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have caught 200 rats. One dratini. Oh well I have flarons up the butt at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

DrOgreface posted:

Holy crap - a Snorlax out of a 10k egg... it has Earthquake. Oh well, maybe it's good for something, let me check all these ranking infographics... Ok, Earthquake is so bad it's not even mentioned in the lists. :emo:

Earthquake is still not bad at all on snorlax, despite being "the worst"

• Locked thread