Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Green Gloves posted:

The X2 is great for what I need it for games and bassy music. I think it is one of the best all purpose headphones that does everything decently except maybe female vocals. I probably don't need the SHP but I want to know what the hype is all about.

It's just that: hype. They're really good for the price point, but that's about it. I'd still rather pay 2x as much and get a pair of Sennheiser HD598's
The X2 is definitely the better headphone, but they're different enough that you can find different uses for them. The SHP definitely does NOT have the bass of the X2's. Unfortunately it also doesn't have their mid-range accuracy.

My shp9500's are my abuse headphones. I have to tie a bandanna around them to get them to stay on my head. Once I do, I mow the lawn in them, paint the house, bring them to the beach, etc...
The X2's along with the rest of my headphones get babied at home. The only exception being my ATH-M70x because they travel so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I don't care if they're the best, or top of the line, the Astro A40s are the most comfortable headset for my weird head, and that's good enough for me. Also they're open back and sound pretty decent. The hardware mixamp does some neat things for streaming too if that's your bag.

They also move seamlessly to my PS4 with no reconfiguring, which is an edge use case, but helps me.

Aeilerto
Mar 3, 2007

Freedom Fries!
I'm looking for new pair of headphones and researched my way to the Sony MDR-1A. Now, the street price seems to be in the mid-high 200 USD range and Amazon USA has these for 298 dollars but for whatever reason my local Norwegian electronics chain has them for 1211 NOK (which is like 150 bucks):

http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/hodetelefoner/MDR1AB/sony-hodetelefoner-mdr-1a-b

(link in Norwegian, but this is easily the biggest electronics store chain in Norway, think Best Buy for Skyrim)

Are these not the real thing or is this just an inexplicably good deal?

Aeilerto fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 22, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
in the last page of this thread I was recommended the Audio-Technica M40X. I've discovered that PCCasegear not only sells an extensive range of headphones from this brand, but also sells them without the typical markup I've come to expect in Australia - they are similar in price to what I'd get on amazon once I account for exchange rate differences. There are a bunch of different headphones at a very similar price point so I was hoping people could explain the differences between these headphones:

$129 - M40x
$139 - A500x
$149 - A700x
$159 - A550z
$199 - A900x (apparently this is on sale, it's normally $279)

These are all closed back headphones in my budget range, so my remaining concerns are comfort for extended use (I am a large headed glasses wearer) and suitability for gaming, watching tv and movies, and occasionally listening to music (classic rock, folk rock,etc)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

frozenpeas posted:

My question is, coming from Westone IEMs, will I be disappointed by the sound quality of a pair of bluetooth headphones? I'm planning on using them more for use around the house and watching movies with my wife when my son is asleep but if I'm better off sticking with wires and going for a headphone splitter then I'd be open to that.

Yes, and it will probably take a few years before bluetooth is on par with wired alternatives.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

grack posted:

Yes, and it will probably take a few years before bluetooth is on par with wired alternatives.

I owe my wife a nice present and I was a on a time limit so I bought 2 pairs of Audio Technica ATH-SR5BTs. I'll report back.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Lord Bude posted:

in the last page of this thread I was recommended the Audio-Technica M40X. I've discovered that PCCasegear not only sells an extensive range of headphones from this brand, but also sells them without the typical markup I've come to expect in Australia - they are similar in price to what I'd get on amazon once I account for exchange rate differences. There are a bunch of different headphones at a very similar price point so I was hoping people could explain the differences between these headphones:

$129 - M40x
$139 - A500x
$149 - A700x
$159 - A550z
$199 - A900x (apparently this is on sale, it's normally $279)

These are all closed back headphones in my budget range, so my remaining concerns are comfort for extended use (I am a large headed glasses wearer) and suitability for gaming, watching tv and movies, and occasionally listening to music (classic rock, folk rock,etc)

Never heard the closed back versions of those, but the open ones are fantastic. They're likely to be more comfortable, but I can't speak to the sound quality over the m40x. Best thing to do is find a store where you can try them out, or an online retailer with a generous return policy. It sucks that Amazon is so poo poo in Australia, they'll take anything back.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Aeilerto posted:

I'm looking for new pair of headphones and researched my way to the Sony MDR-1A. Now, the street price seems to be in the mid-high 200 USD range and Amazon USA has these for 298 dollars but for whatever reason my local Norwegian electronics chain has them for 1211 NOK (which is like 150 bucks):

http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/hodetelefoner/MDR1AB/sony-hodetelefoner-mdr-1a-b

(link in Norwegian, but this is easily the biggest electronics store chain in Norway, think Best Buy for Skyrim)

Are these not the real thing or is this just an inexplicably good deal?

They are awesome. Get them. They are a great deal here in Norway for some reason. I bought a pair for my wife, and compared to my own DT770 Pros they are much more musical.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Aeilerto posted:

I used to sell consumer electronics like you, then I took an arrow to the oh god i'm so sorry forget this happened

Aeilerto
Mar 3, 2007

Freedom Fries!

evobatman posted:

They are awesome. Get them. They are a great deal here in Norway for some reason. I bought a pair for my wife, and compared to my own DT770 Pros they are much more musical.

Okay, thanks for the advice :)

Interestingly DT770 Pro was the other option I was looking at. I'm mostly going to use this for music but will also use it for gaming and watching movies. Komplett.no and the music equipment store out at Sandvika has the 80 ohm version for a few hundred more kroner than the MDR-1A. Is there any big reason to buy the DT770 over the MDR or should I just get the Sony?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Aeilerto posted:

Okay, thanks for the advice :)

Interestingly DT770 Pro was the other option I was looking at. I'm mostly going to use this for music but will also use it for gaming and watching movies. Komplett.no and the music equipment store out at Sandvika has the 80 ohm version for a few hundred more kroner than the MDR-1A. Is there any big reason to buy the DT770 over the MDR or should I just get the Sony?

The DT770s are more neutral and analytical for faux-audiophiles like myself . They also have significantly better build quality, where you can get service and replacement parts for everything, and the pads and headband is easily replaced. They feel cheaper though, since they are made out of plastic. The cord is fixed and cannot be replaced without major surgery, and does not have a microphone or remote control, which is HUGE if you're taking them outside and want to listen to music on the bus or while walking. Basically, these are for your home or office hifi equipment with a good quality recording and good source, such as a separate DAC/AMP combo.

The Sonys will sound more entertaining in every way, and smooth over some of the defects in the audio if your sound sources. Replacable cord with mic and remote control is a huge plus. The look and feel is great. Although both the Sonys and the DT770s work best for home/office, they are slightly more portable. For gaming, movies and portable music these will be great, and I will highly recommend them both for your use and in general.

The other choices are ATH-M50x, which I believe both the Sonys and the DT770s will beat soundly, and the Fidelio X2s which everyone loves. They are open back though, so a lot of sound will leak out to your environment, and should be about 500 kr more than the Sonys if you find them at a good sale.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 23, 2016

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Just ordered a DT-990 (250 ohm) Pro and ATH-AD900X.

Looking for a combination of light gaming & music at my workstation, plus living room listening for when roommates are asleep. I mostly listen to doom/stoner metal (Colour Haze, Sleep, Earth, Yob, etc), but I have issues with comfort when wearing headphones and the AD900Xs look far more comfortable.

I grabbed a cheap E10k as well since I cannot figure out how to configure ALSA to not have a slight hiss with my mainboard's sound (doesn't happen with Windows for some reason).

I had a question about headphone amps though. I have a TX-NR709 (Amzn Link) that I run my HTPC and turntable through for floorstanding speakers. I'm guessing this is more than enough to drive the DT-990s in case the E10k is underpowered? Or are headphone amps different? I want to do a fair evaluation of the two headsets, as I'm willing to get a better amp if the DT-990s are better (which they might be for the music I usually listen to).

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for good wireless headphones. To watch movies and play games mostly.
Main focus should be on ease-of-use, so long battery life, easy to recharge, any comfort additions are welcome (e.g., being able to plug it in if battery dies). Also needs to travel around a lot in a bag, possibly on airplanes and so as well, so needs to be robust.

Budget - Reasonable, if it is worth it. Not an audiophile but unsure about the price range. 100-200-300-400 at the max.
Source - Laptop and TV possibly. Wirelessly.
Isolation Requirements - Not specifically, but not undesirable.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced I guess?
Past Headphones - I've had Audio-Technica ATH-M50x I am extremely happy with.
Preferred Music - No specific.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Just ordered a DT-990 (250 ohm) Pro and ATH-AD900X.

Looking for a combination of light gaming & music at my workstation, plus living room listening for when roommates are asleep. I mostly listen to doom/stoner metal (Colour Haze, Sleep, Earth, Yob, etc), but I have issues with comfort when wearing headphones and the AD900Xs look far more comfortable.

I grabbed a cheap E10k as well since I cannot figure out how to configure ALSA to not have a slight hiss with my mainboard's sound (doesn't happen with Windows for some reason).

I had a question about headphone amps though. I have a TX-NR709 (Amzn Link) that I run my HTPC and turntable through for floorstanding speakers. I'm guessing this is more than enough to drive the DT-990s in case the E10k is underpowered? Or are headphone amps different? I want to do a fair evaluation of the two headsets, as I'm willing to get a better amp if the DT-990s are better (which they might be for the music I usually listen to).

Try to find a PDF for your receiver's manual online, and see if it has any specs regarding headphone output. In my experience, receivers are hit or miss -- my Yamaha from early 2000 puts out lots of power (nearly too much!) but my newer, more expensive Sony receiver doesn't power the headphone port at all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kalenden posted:

I'm looking for good wireless headphones. To watch movies and play games mostly.
Main focus should be on ease-of-use, so long battery life, easy to recharge, any comfort additions are welcome (e.g., being able to plug it in if battery dies). Also needs to travel around a lot in a bag, possibly on airplanes and so as well, so needs to be robust.

I like wireless headphones, but I won't own a pair of great ones. Great headphones can be a timeless investment, but it seems like every year there's a new Bluetooth revision that completes another piece of the puzzle. Until two or three years go by without a technological revolution in range, battery life or compression, I don't think it makes sense to spend more than $100 on wireless headphones.

So for now I own these MEE Audio dealies. They're fine. I got them used for $30, you can find them for $60 new. They don't sound bad, they come with a nice case, the battery lasts around 3 days for me, and you can plug them in if it runs out. I won't be mad when they get obsoleted or run over by a car.

There are plenty of wireless cans that sound better, are more comfortable, and have more features. I just don't think any of them make sense. Except maybe the Bose QC35 if you absolutely need wireless + noise cancelling, since they're the only ones that really do that effectively. But you're going to spend $350 for the privilege, and you're going to want to replace them in two years.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's just that: hype. They're really good for the price point, but that's about it. I'd still rather pay 2x as much and get a pair of Sennheiser HD598's
The X2 is definitely the better headphone, but they're different enough that you can find different uses for them. The SHP definitely does NOT have the bass of the X2's. Unfortunately it also doesn't have their mid-range accuracy.

My shp9500's are my abuse headphones. I have to tie a bandanna around them to get them to stay on my head. Once I do, I mow the lawn in them, paint the house, bring them to the beach, etc...
The X2's along with the rest of my headphones get babied at home. The only exception being my ATH-M70x because they travel so well.

This. If you have a pretty big head like me. The SHP9500 are extremely comfortable they are light as a feather with the least amount of clamping force in any headphone Ive encountered. Unfortunately people with small heads will have issues because the headphones wont stay on your head.

The SHP9500 does not match the x2 as far as bass or soundstage but drat is it easy to wear them to sleep or game for an entire day. I think they are the perfect entry level headphones. Cant beat the price I paid of $45.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Trip report on the ATH-BT07.

Listening to V0 and FLAC over Bluetooth.

I'll just get it out the way now. They don't compare at all to the full immersion that good IEMs or over the ear cans provide. But they are extremely pleasant and sound very different to anything else I've heard before.

Vocals are very sweet, the highs are very crisp indeed. The bass isn't low, as some reviews have said; in fact it's really great, but it's not bloated or extended beyond what the song demands. I listen to a lot of electronic music and the bass is as punchy as I could ask for.

I've only just started on these headphones but I'm happy with my purchase. I've got a pair of a900s and Westone 4rs at home and I think these complement them perfectly. The 900s are big, loud and fun. The Westones are incomparable, for me at least; better than any full size headphone I've used. They have a very different sound to the ATH-BT07s. I'm not good with audio descriptions but I'd say the if Westones sound like real life then the ATs sound very precise, computerized reproduction. They have a clarity that I don't get on my other cans which makes them a nice alternative.

Sorry for the wine/audio tasting descriptions, just tying to get the differences across.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

enojy posted:

Try to find a PDF for your receiver's manual online, and see if it has any specs regarding headphone output. In my experience, receivers are hit or miss -- my Yamaha from early 2000 puts out lots of power (nearly too much!) but my newer, more expensive Sony receiver doesn't power the headphone port at all.

Thanks. That's a good point. My guess is it will just say 'headphone out' or something as a bullet point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

frozenpeas posted:

Sorry for the wine/audio tasting descriptions, just tying to get the differences across.

It's cool, man! I'd rather read someone honestly trying to express what they're hearing than stringing together audiophile buzzwords.

When I listen critically, I try to break down my impressions into lows, mids and highs, and then how those broad terms bleed into each other. So, for example, how low is the bass extension? If I listen to a movie with a 5.1 mix, can I identify what would be going through the subwoofer? Does the bass energy bleed into the lower mids and garble or distract from vocals or guitars?

For the mids, are the vocals as clear and present as they should be in the mix? How do male vocals sound vs female? Can I tell how the toms in the drum kit are tuned?

For the highs, is there anything annoying or harsh? Do cymbals hurt when they crash, or do they sound weak?

Too many audio reviews use words like warm, refined, articulate, mellow, laid back, clear, open, transparent, airy. These words mean less than nothing. They make me angry. Just describe how music sounds. Jesus christ.

anyway, i'm saying your writing is fine.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
To add another opinion on the Sony MDR-1A, I've had my pair for about 3 months now for my office phones and I quite like them, sonically. They are in a nice sweet spot of balancing detail with warmth, bass has enough punch to be satisfying but not boomy.

The one issue I have is that the pleather pads get quite warm for me. It's pretty common for me to listen to an album on the MDR-1A, but then have to switch to my commuting IEMs for the next album because the heat is uncomfortable.

But then again I have a fat head and most over and on ear headphones give me issues with discomfort of some kind, so I might be an outlier in discussing fit/comfort.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

trem_two posted:

To add another opinion on the Sony MDR-1A, I've had my pair for about 3 months now for my office phones and I quite like them, sonically. They are in a nice sweet spot of balancing detail with warmth, bass has enough punch to be satisfying but not boomy.

The one issue I have is that the pleather pads get quite warm for me. It's pretty common for me to listen to an album on the MDR-1A, but then have to switch to my commuting IEMs for the next album because the heat is uncomfortable.

But then again I have a fat head and most over and on ear headphones give me issues with discomfort of some kind, so I might be an outlier in discussing fit/comfort.

I will second that they do get hot.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

enojy posted:

So I tried my receiver last night and it's certainly on the 'too much' power end. I have to turn it way down even listening to LPs.

I also figured out the hissing on my workstation's onboard sound (ALSA was mixing mic back into the audio stream even though the mic was muted. Linux :argh:). I also looked into the onboard sound specs a bit more and it has a built in headphone amp. I actually have to turn the master volume way down even with the DT 990; no hissing and sounds clean. I'm actually very surprised (I'm used to lots of interference with onboard audio).

I certainly don't need a DAC now though, and I'm even thinking of skipping the headphone amp too. The main reason I wanted to get a desktop amp was I hate software volume control, and I needed to get something to adjust the volume on my desktop. Will something like a VolBox work fine, or are there better solutions for an inline volume control knob that sits on the desk (not hanging on the cable)? There doesn't seem to be a big market for something like this.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 24, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
My favorite thing for this is the Griffin Powermate. It is great and beautiful and wonderful and I love it. For OS X and Windows it has a driver that allows you to change what it does per application, it's hugely customizable. It's supported by a kernel module in most linux distros, so plug it in and look at syslog, it might show up. Or not, who knows, it's linux.

edit: don't get the bluetooth version it's os x only, and silly.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 24, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AbsoluteLlama posted:

So I tried my receiver last night and it's certainly on the 'too much' power end. I have to turn it way down even listening to LPs.

I also figured out the hissing on my workstation's onboard sound (ALSA was mixing mic back into the audio stream even though the mic was muted. Linux :argh:). I also looked into the onboard sound specs a bit more and it has a built in headphone amp. I actually have to turn the master volume way down even with the DT 990; no hissing and sounds clean. I'm actually very surprised (I'm used to lots of interference with onboard audio).

I certainly don't need a DAC now though, and I'm even thinking of skipping the headphone amp too. The main reason I wanted to get a desktop amp was I hate software volume control, and I needed to get something to adjust the volume on my desktop. Will something like a VolBox work fine, or are there better solutions for an inline volume control knob that sits on the desk (not hanging on the cable)? There doesn't seem to be a big market for something like this.

You're good, then! Especially if your 990s are the 250 ohm version. The main reason receivers can be considered overpowered is because their output impedance is often way high, like 8-10 ohms. Sometimes, it's because they just utilize the speaker amp to power the headphone out. The magic number is having your receiver/amp's output impedance be 1/8th that of your headphones (or less.) Having to turn it down for comfort is typically a good thing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

I don't have that problem with my 1Rs, did they change anything about the construction or fit? These are by a mile the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Read the OP, poked around a bit, took a break and skimmed Amazon, I'm in the market for over the ear bluetooth headphones and I'd love a few recommendations from people who know far more about this than I do.

Budget - Under $100. I'm very cheap, but not so cheap that I'll sacrifice build quality. I like it when my things last a while and I seem to be kind of hard on things.
Source - Bluetooth to phone or plugged into my workstation with an integrated soundcard
Isolation Requirements - This would be nice.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear for sure.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer balance in my music, letting the genre to decide how the arrangement is presented, if that makes any sense. My music preference should shed some light
Past Headphones - I've had some "whatever was on the shelf and in my budget at Target" headphones in the past but nothing noteworthy
Preferred Music - I listen primarily to bass heavy electronic music, rap/hiphop, country, and occasionally vocal trance.

My requirements are somewhat low, but I'm hoping to find something that fits within my spec.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

delpheye posted:

Read the OP, poked around a bit, took a break and skimmed Amazon, I'm in the market for over the ear bluetooth headphones and I'd love a few recommendations from people who know far more about this than I do.

Budget - Under $100. I'm very cheap, but not so cheap that I'll sacrifice build quality. I like it when my things last a while and I seem to be kind of hard on things.
Source - Bluetooth to phone or plugged into my workstation with an integrated soundcard
Isolation Requirements - This would be nice.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear for sure.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer balance in my music, letting the genre to decide how the arrangement is presented, if that makes any sense. My music preference should shed some light
Past Headphones - I've had some "whatever was on the shelf and in my budget at Target" headphones in the past but nothing noteworthy
Preferred Music - I listen primarily to bass heavy electronic music, rap/hiphop, country, and occasionally vocal trance.

My requirements are somewhat low, but I'm hoping to find something that fits within my spec.

I'd take a look at this post and get these perhaps.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like wireless headphones, but I won't own a pair of great ones. Great headphones can be a timeless investment, but it seems like every year there's a new Bluetooth revision that completes another piece of the puzzle. Until two or three years go by without a technological revolution in range, battery life or compression, I don't think it makes sense to spend more than $100 on wireless headphones.

So for now I own these MEE Audio dealies. They're fine. I got them used for $30, you can find them for $60 new. They don't sound bad, they come with a nice case, the battery lasts around 3 days for me, and you can plug them in if it runs out. I won't be mad when they get obsoleted or run over by a car.

There are plenty of wireless cans that sound better, are more comfortable, and have more features. I just don't think any of them make sense. Except maybe the Bose QC35 if you absolutely need wireless + noise cancelling, since they're the only ones that really do that effectively. But you're going to spend $350 for the privilege, and you're going to want to replace them in two years.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there a similar set of Bluetooth IEMs that fit along that philosophy

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Bit late but do it, if they're the sort of headphone you want. I'm a large-headed glasses wearer, and I'm reasonably happy with them.

Drive-by reviews of wired headphones for the thread as I've got a range now.

Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones (~$150)
-HRNG. I got these on a black Friday sale when getting them for the same price as my M40x was a big deal. Instantly replaced any other headset for when I really want to sit down and listen to something. This is probably the most I'm ever going to spend on headphones, and I couldn't be happier. Great, even sound. My music sounds wider and more detailed than anything else I've used. Top features: Great sound, perfect comfort even on my huge head, removable cable. If you're in the range, the really nice thing about the "special edition" is that while the 598 used to only come in Ikea Old Computer Fleshytone, they now come in black too.

ATH-M40x (~100)
-These became my second set when I'm away from my home desk. Great, well-balanced sound. When I got them they were probably the best bang for the buck out there for people who want even/studio/monitor sound. Reports say they even have more balanced sound than the more-expensive and more popular 50s, but with "less bass" aka the 40s are made correctly IMHO. Top features: Foldable, removable cable, best-in-class value. The folding mechanism does feel a bit cheap, but they've been holding up perfectly. If you only have $100 to spend, and you want even sound, I think you'd be happy with these. The ear cups do get a bit sweaty/compressing after a long day, but I've used them through an 8-hour day with only brief breaks. They even rotate to hang around your neck DJ style if you need a quick rest. I thought I'd never own a more expensive set of headphones until I caught the Sennheisers on sale.

Sony MDR-ZX100 and MDR-ZX110 (~$20)
-My travel headphones, and my absolute recommendation for the cheapest set of "good" headphones you can get. I was at an event where someone had to run out to the local supermarket to get headphones for a live radio show so this was all they could find or afford. An hour in the long-time radio hosts were remarking that this was noteworthy quality given the Wal-Mart bag they saw them come out of. The 110s even fold. They're not magic, the cable on the 100s is kind of heavy and noisy when it moves, they feel cheap going on. But if you're afraid you're going to lose your headphones on vacation and still want some good listening, I recommend these frequently.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can i get some decent earpad replacements for ath-900x?

a500 and a700 have the same size pads I think. Im looking for some velour or velvet pads because the leatherette makes my ears sweat and i dont like how they flake apart after use.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Fauxtool posted:

Where can i get some decent earpad replacements for ath-900x?

a500 and a700 have the same size pads I think. Im looking for some velour or velvet pads because the leatherette makes my ears sweat and i dont like how they flake apart after use.

wang_yifei on eBay is pretty good. Made in China and all that, obviously. The velour isn't as soft and plush as the velour on Sennheiser's or Beyerdynamic's but it's pretty good. I can vouch for the ones for the AD-700/900/1000 series anyway. The A900's are probably similar.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

revdrkevind posted:

Bit late but do it, if they're the sort of headphone you want. I'm a large-headed glasses wearer, and I'm reasonably happy with them.

Drive-by reviews of wired headphones for the thread as I've got a range now.

Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones (~$150)
-HRNG. I got these on a black Friday sale when getting them for the same price as my M40x was a big deal. Instantly replaced any other headset for when I really want to sit down and listen to something. This is probably the most I'm ever going to spend on headphones, and I couldn't be happier. Great, even sound. My music sounds wider and more detailed than anything else I've used. Top features: Great sound, perfect comfort even on my huge head, removable cable. If you're in the range, the really nice thing about the "special edition" is that while the 598 used to only come in Ikea Old Computer Fleshytone, they now come in black too.

I have a pair of HD598s and I don't think I'll need another pair of headphones until these break. Even though I mostly listen to hip-hop, I use these a lot more than my M50s.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

surrender posted:

I have a pair of HD598s and I don't think I'll need another pair of headphones until these break. Even though I mostly listen to hip-hop, I use these a lot more than my M50s.

Based on the "mostly hip hop" comment, I'm assuming you aren't 100% satisfied with the low end on the HD598s? You could probably do a reverse 555/558 -> 598 mod with the right foam placed in the cup behind the driver. That's all that mod is (well, to "turn 555s into 598s" you just take the foam square out,) and I distinctly remember losing some bass when I did that. The hard part would be finding an appropriate foam... nothing dense, sorta transparent, very thin, like 5-6 sheets of paper thin.

Also good luck breaking them. I used my dad's on-ear Sennheisers as a kid that looked like they were made in the 60's, and my 555s have survived 6 or 7 years of being tossed around on a daily basis. Curiously, the first thing to even come close to breaking is the foam padding's glue on the headband. Very glad to still have them around, and will almost certainly stumble upon some 600 or 650s eventually.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 28, 2016

MiskatonicAthletic
Apr 28, 2013

Lurking in the wilds of the Shitpost Forest

Verviticus posted:

Is there a similar set of Bluetooth IEMs that fit along that philosophy

Repeating this question. I'd love to find a pair of IEM headphones that are light (i.e., not connected to a goofy necklace chunk), have a good, long battery life, and are <$100. I am not an audiophile by any stretch, and primarily listen to audiobooks and podcasts, but the inconspicuous noise isolation of an IEM is great for work (which can get loud, but is also very boring.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MiskatonicAthletic posted:

Repeating this question. I'd love to find a pair of IEM headphones that are light (i.e., not connected to a goofy necklace chunk), have a good, long battery life, and are <$100. I am not an audiophile by any stretch, and primarily listen to audiobooks and podcasts, but the inconspicuous noise isolation of an IEM is great for work (which can get loud, but is also very boring.)

I just picked up the Jaybird X2s from bestbuy for $75 and I would say they fit the bill. They do have a cord that runs behind your head but it's not bulky and they include clips to shorten it if it bothers you.

Also I've been using them nearly all day and the battery life is fantastic.

MiskatonicAthletic
Apr 28, 2013

Lurking in the wilds of the Shitpost Forest

MarcusSA posted:

I just picked up the Jaybird X2s from bestbuy for $75 and I would say they fit the bill. They do have a cord that runs behind your head but it's not bulky and they include clips to shorten it if it bothers you.

Also I've been using them nearly all day and the battery life is fantastic.

Yeah, those look like exactly the thing I'm in the market for. The cord behind the head is fine, that's what I meant by not bulky. The Bluetooth headphones with the integrated torc necklace just seem like they'd defeat the purpose I'm trying to achieve.
Just one question- who did you have to blow to get those bad boys for $75? All I'm seeing (in online listings) is $150 for a new pair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MiskatonicAthletic posted:

Yeah, those look like exactly the thing I'm in the market for. The cord behind the head is fine, that's what I meant by not bulky. The Bluetooth headphones with the integrated torc necklace just seem like they'd defeat the purpose I'm trying to achieve.
Just one question- who did you have to blow to get those bad boys for $75? All I'm seeing (in online listings) is $150 for a new pair.

drat that sucks! I guess the sale is over. Bestbuy and Amazon both had them for $74.99 so honestly if you wait you should be able to snag them for that price.

I agree about that necklace poo poo though Its loving horrible. I don't even know how people can wear that poo poo.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
So right now my current workout/motorcycle riding setup is an iPod classic connected to JVC marshmallows with Complyfoam inserts. I love that the marshmallows are fairly cheap and I love the noise isolation the inserts give me. I listen mostly to podcasts so the audio quality works for me. However, I find that no matter how delicately I treat them I usually end up losing sound in one ear after about 4-6 months of use. I've almost started buying the fuckers in bulk because of how quickly they break. Is there a cheapish (<$50) alternative to the JVC's that are more robust? Longevity is key, and as long as they sound OK with speaking voices the audio isn't terribly important.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

VOR LOC posted:

So right now my current workout/motorcycle riding setup is an iPod classic connected to JVC marshmallows with Complyfoam inserts. I love that the marshmallows are fairly cheap and I love the noise isolation the inserts give me. I listen mostly to podcasts so the audio quality works for me. However, I find that no matter how delicately I treat them I usually end up losing sound in one ear after about 4-6 months of use. I've almost started buying the fuckers in bulk because of how quickly they break. Is there a cheapish (<$50) alternative to the JVC's that are more robust? Longevity is key, and as long as they sound OK with speaking voices the audio isn't terribly important.

Isn't riding a motorcycle with headphones in incredibly dangerous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
nah, not when you're listening to brooke gladstone it isn't.