Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
On that note, since a lot of the conversation appears to be happening on G+, who are some designers worth following or communities worth joining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

psychopomp posted:

On that note, since a lot of the conversation appears to be happening on G+, who are some designers worth following or communities worth joining?

G+ is terrible, avoid it if you can

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

psychopomp posted:

Most of the big games have communities where the devs are active (Powered By The Apocalypse, Fate, 13th Age). As for people: Rob Donoghue, Fred Hicks, Robert Bohl, Vincent and Meguey Baker, and Greg Stolze are all pretty active.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
So is Robert Schwalb with Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Foglet posted:

So is Robert Schwalb with Shadow of the Demon Lord.

He's the creator and major writer of that RPG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Most of the big games have communities where the devs are active (Powered By The Apocalypse, Fate, 13th Age). As for people: Rob Donoghue, Fred Hicks, Robert Bohl, Vincent and Meguey Baker, and Greg Stolze are all pretty active.

How can you tell which ones are the official/general communities? Like I looked at G+'s OSR and Pathfinder communities and the first things that came up for each looked like they'd had six people posting in them period over the last week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Really the only way is to go look or ask around. Like, the Fate and 13th Age ones are official, I know of that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you can check for at least official support of a G+ community by whether or not creators post there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still getting money from it which is cool and still kind of insane

I did a list for Dagon! "100 Fantasy Plants." Woah! I'd kind of forgotten about it.

Just went and looked and I have $12.37 in royalty credit in my account. I must have made over a dozen sales, in the last... uh... years. Some number of years.

...just checked and my original text file was last modified june 2014, so I guess it's been since then. Looks like I sold 26 copies, total.

Here that, folks? Spend an hour or two writing a list of 100 things that could be useful, and in just years you could make something less than minimum wage!

...naw but it was fun and I'd have done it for free. :shrug:

Hey Dagon what do you still need a list of?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I made some lists for Dagon too and periodically I'll go to buy something off DTRPG and I almost invariably have like a couple-few bucks in credit which is neat. Worth the hour or so I spent making them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found an old file containing about 80 "Urban Superhero Fight Complications" that I think someone requested at some point. I'm trying to finish it now.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Libertad! posted:

He's the creator and major writer of that RPG.

Yeah, that was not a question, I intended that as an addition to the list of some notable developers above my post; as in, 'such-and-such persons are active on G+, and so is Schwalb with his SotDL'. I think "Demon Lord" deserves more love.

Unless, of course, there is some terrible thing I don't know about the guy.

fake edit: and by 'the guy' I mean Schwalb here, not any Demon Lord, fictional, real or otherwise.

Leperflesh posted:

I found an old file containing about 80 "Urban Superhero Fight Complications" that I think someone requested at some point. I'm trying to finish it now.

I read it as "Superhero Flight Complications" and that would have been an awesome list too.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 26, 2016

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Someone at UMass is collecting data on women in tabletop games. Anyone who identifies as a woman and would like to participate can fill out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9P6Z3FC

"This study is measuring women’s experiences within the table top gaming community, benefits of participating in the tabletop RPG community, as well as social and coping skills. Participation in this study will take approximately 1 hour. If you decide to participate in this study, you will be asked to complete a survey about your experiences in the table top gaming community. You may also enter to win one of four $25 Amazon gift cards for completing the survey if you are a U.S. resident."

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
"This survey is currently closed, as we have hit our cap for participants. Thank you for your interest!"

And they say girls don't like RPGs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really hope there's some kind of "woman ID validation" because I can absolutely see the lovely male gamer demographic stuffing the feedback box with "I find the so-called 'harassment' flattering!" type insanity.

Time and again we're shown that this hobby's barrel has no bottom to scrape - it just gets worse the farther you go down.

(I hope I'm just being :tinfoil: here.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There are always people who gently caress with anonymous data, this is just something inherent to Internet survey-style data gathering. It could be for flavors of cereal and there'd still be people saying their favorites are poo poo and gunpowder flavor, so if course something more political will have liars and trolls. As a grad student you learn what you can actually use with this information and what is just noise, and I trust these people to do that.

That said, I've done a study like this as an undergrad focusing on women in board gaming that used interviews rather than anonymous surveys, and not everyone gives the answers you'd like them to. As a bright-eyed leftist who was a semester away from finishing their degree in Women's Studies I fully expected the women I spoke with to talk about the misogyny in the hobby, the times they've been stalked after club meetings, etc. There was plenty of that, but there were also some women who talked about how "the feminists in the hobby" are blowing things out of proportion, that things were actually fine and people needed to stop being so sensitive. Particularly on the topic of the portrayal of women in the games' art, people deferred to "I like playing hot characters instead of ugly ones" or things of that nature.

I guess my point is that, when that study goes up behind a paywall in some soc/wgs social science journal in a year, don't necessary be disappointed if the findings aren't "99.9% of women in the hobby acknowledge that there's an issue with the both industry and the hobbyist sides of tabletop gaming," even if they do filter for obvious male trolls.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

Someone at UMass is collecting data on women in tabletop games. Anyone who identifies as a woman and would like to participate can fill out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9P6Z3FC

"This study is measuring women’s experiences within the table top gaming community, benefits of participating in the tabletop RPG community, as well as social and coping skills. Participation in this study will take approximately 1 hour. If you decide to participate in this study, you will be asked to complete a survey about your experiences in the table top gaming community. You may also enter to win one of four $25 Amazon gift cards for completing the survey if you are a U.S. resident."

I've never seen a survey this poorly designed. Some lists tell you to pick two, but only allow you to pick one. Sometimes two almost identical questions (which games do you play/what games are your favourites) use radio-buttons for one and checkboxes for the other. The options you can give for why you like D&D over Shadowrun is that "it's the latest edition". I will acknowledge they have a limited number of RPGs they can reasonably list, and they have a write-in field for other RPGs, but we're still talking about a survey that lists 13th Age but not a single White Wolf game as options.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Countblanc posted:

There are always people who gently caress with anonymous data, this is just something inherent to Internet survey-style data gathering. It could be for flavors of cereal and there'd still be people saying their favorites are poo poo and gunpowder flavor, so if course something more political will have liars and trolls. As a grad student you learn what you can actually use with this information and what is just noise, and I trust these people to do that.
Back in 2004 my roommate did her undergraduate psych thesis with an internet survey, and back then things were unorganized enough that she spent most of her time tracking down studies to help her figure out what response biases there could be that weren't in meatspace studies, and how to minimize them. Rather fascinating stuff, though of course by now I don't remember any of the details.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol white wolf games are never an option it isn't the 90's anymore gramps

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You do know they've been releasing stuff regularly, significantly more so than, say, Shadowrun, right?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

You do know they've been releasing stuff regularly, significantly more so than, say, Shadowrun, right?

you realize that jokes don't have to be good or funny, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elfgames posted:

you realize that jokes don't have to be good or funny, right?

yeah but then they're indistinguishable from normal shitposts

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As An Industry: indistinguishable from normal shitposts

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

psychopomp posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As An Industry: indistinguishable from normal shitposts

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, but it's mostly retroclones of their own products at this point.

Shadowrun is its own can of worms, though. Catalyst Game Labs are loving horrible.

Most recently they did a reprint of Street Grimoire, one of the primary magic books for SR5, that was supposed to have new cover art and be updated with the errata to date (which is current as of 2014). As usual for Catalyst, they somehow managed to gently caress up at such a fundamental level that none of the errata made it into the reprint. Cover change did, though!

I honestly cannot wait for Topps, the holders of the actual SR license, to get it back and go looking for another publisher, because Catalyst's handling of the brand has been flatly incompetent for years now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does anybody know how long the license is with Catalyst? I know it can't be a monthly fee sort of thing because if it had been they would have lost the license years ago with how badly they manage their finances.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

That said, I've done a study like this as an undergrad focusing on women in board gaming that used interviews rather than anonymous surveys, and not everyone gives the answers you'd like them to. As a bright-eyed leftist who was a semester away from finishing their degree in Women's Studies I fully expected the women I spoke with to talk about the misogyny in the hobby, the times they've been stalked after club meetings, etc. There was plenty of that, but there were also some women who talked about how "the feminists in the hobby" are blowing things out of proportion, that things were actually fine and people needed to stop being so sensitive. Particularly on the topic of the portrayal of women in the games' art, people deferred to "I like playing hot characters instead of ugly ones" or things of that nature.

I guess my point is that, when that study goes up behind a paywall in some soc/wgs social science journal in a year, don't necessary be disappointed if the findings aren't "99.9% of women in the hobby acknowledge that there's an issue with the both industry and the hobbyist sides of tabletop gaming," even if they do filter for obvious male trolls.

The second paragraph people used to baffle me completely until I understood that humans are risk-averse, and challenging the status quo is more dangerous than not challenging it--that is to say that the modest social rewards women get by telling themselves and their male friends that there is no sexism are better than the penalties they would receive by 'making trouble' and the potential for genuinely greater reward in a more equal situation seems remote. So obviously, the status quo is fine. You also see this with black or gay Republicans--individuals in a minority might be rewarded fairly substantially, and risk a lot by fighting the status quo. Or poor white people voting Republican for slightly different reasons. Or to go further back, anti-suffragists. It's interesting, if still very frustrating when trying to study and combat inequality.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Caedar posted:

Fred's usually got his attention split tons of ways, so it might not be profitable to try talking to him with the express intent of working for Evil Hat. If someone's interested in that, I'd recommend making a connection through a minion of the Hat. As fate may have it, one of my roles at Evil Hat is finding promising talent in our pool of applicants (apply here). Maybe if you send me some fine wine, I can get you to the front of the line.*

But seriously, if anybody has some compelling work to show off to us—published or unpublished—or wants to hear more about what we're looking for, just send me a message.

*This is a joke. Please don't fire me, Fred.

So this post is now being talked about by Zak here.

For due diligence, I'm going to read through Zak's post, but I'd also like some context from this community. If anyone has the energy, could you fill me in? (Probably through PM, since it sounds like this is something that people are tired of talking about.)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Does anybody know how long the license is with Catalyst? I know it can't be a monthly fee sort of thing because if it had been they would have lost the license years ago with how badly they manage their finances.
I have admittedly minimal experience, but licenses like those are usually for a pre-set period, like 2 or 5 years.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Caedar posted:

For due diligence, I'm going to read through Zak's post, but I'd also like some context from this community. If anyone has the energy, could you fill me in? (Probably through PM, since it sounds like this is something that people are tired of talking about.)

Zak is an insane person, incredible bigot, and serial harasser, who has literally pushed people from this forum out of the internet entirely out of petty grudges. There's really nothing he will ever say that's worth talking about.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes but he is currently unfortunately involved in Caedar's professional life. Saying "well nothing he says has value" does not help Caedar with any potential issues at his job.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Caedar posted:

I have nothing to add to this specific instance of Zak S being hurtful and malignant, but it occurs to me that he's the Platonic ideal of Patton Oswalt's routine, from his latest special, on evil people who co-opt progressive language.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Caedar posted:

G+ is bad for the same reason all social networking services* presently existing suck. It aims for the widest possible audience, is different from every other social network, and its rewards may only be reaped through continued engagement, allowing a bunch of shitlorde trolls who've been kicked out of every respectable, publicly accessible place to lurk and ambush the unwary.

If you want a point by point counter argument to Zak S' latest horseshit gish-gallop wall of text where he throws all of his points so that you get tired of calling his poo poo halfway through, then, uh, yeah, no, please don't make me. That set has found the exact size and format in which to present their arguments such that rebutting them is optimally difficult as to make the no-prize/smug satisfaction one gets from winning that tedious argument not worth it. The important thing isn't that Zak S and crew are stopped, it's that they're kept from us and ours.

*There is no such thing as Diaspora. It does not exist. If you appear to be confronted by Diaspora, return it to the void and wash your hands when you're done.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 28, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes but he is currently unfortunately involved in Caedar's professional life. Saying "well nothing he says has value" does not help Caedar with any potential issues at his job.

He asked what the context was. The context to basically every post S has ever made is "he is a crazy person and serial harasser who stalks anyone he has even a mild disagreement with and you can expect everything he says to be bullshit."

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah, if you have to put out a Zak S fire, get the well-recorded receipts from prior conflicts, completely destroy one of their points, argue against two more, and then, explain the following:

Zak S' arguments consist of him throwing poo poo at a wall to see what sticks. Anyone who claims to give a poo poo about the details before vomiting forth a wall of text saying that their points are inarguable, incontestable, undeniable TRUTH is either a complete and utter piece of poo poo, or new to the whole argument thing because I can deny all the arguments I want. Look, I'm doing it now!!!!

e:Also, link the Patton Oswalt routine about evil people who coopt progressive language.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ErichZahn posted:

e:Also, link the Patton Oswalt routine about evil people who coopt progressive language.

I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be on YouTube already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67oBbpyE9Xg

Edit: Relevant bit starts 1:39

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The best thing to do with Z is put him on ignore/block on every social media you encounter him in, and if you find people quoting him, encourage them to do the same.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

The best thing to do with Z is put him on ignore/block on every social media you encounter him in, and if you find people quoting him, encourage them to do the same.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 28, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kwyndig posted:

Not emptyquoting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Caedar posted:

Well. Your boss seems to know what's up with Z. Maybe that'd be a good place to start?

• Locked thread